UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some random and not comprehensive thoughts on the game. First, as to Paige, she is truly great. If, as Geno said after, this may be the worst game she ever plays in college, we are very lucky to be UCONN fans. Second, as to Ono, a couple of observations that have been discussed before. Her fadeaway step is way too long and it forces her shot to be weak at times and takes her out of rebounding position. Also, she never passes back out when she first gets the ball and then resets to get better position. Thirdly, as to Mir, great body control and great leaper. Better than expectations and they have been high for her from those who watched her or followed her. Fourthly, Nika, I hope it was first game jitters and her injury. She seems to have the intensity but had a tough day with the ball today. Fifthly, love the depth and substitutions and above all else the press. We start 3 excellent passers in Paige, EW and Anna and it is great to watch them pass in open court transition off the press. Throw in Aubrey, Mir and AE, and you have a very, very good defensive team in the making.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They had to spread out the scoring/press table seats to be 6 foot apart. Next game notice how far all the replay officials, scorers, timers and game stat team sit from each other.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Not sure if posted already but Geno's Post game press conference. Oh man, he loves Paige and he is liberally comparing Paige's mindset to the game to Diana (13:30)

I hope the journalists covering UConn women's basketball appreciate how much easier Geno makes their job.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
To all it may concern:

Finally we have played a game. The season we have waited for these many months is here.

As great as Kareem, Cousy, Oscar, Russell et al were, this thread is about the UConn game today. There are other boards appropriate to argue about old NBA heroes. Please leave this thread and this board to UConn Women's basketball.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
I wasn't impressed with Christyn and LIv's play today. They should dominate this level of competition. I thought Evina's play was good considering she hasn't played for two years. Paige was the best player on the court today. She played under control and should have had a double/double if not a triple double.
CW played like it still is 2019...A bad omen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hope the journalists covering UConn women's basketball appreciate how much easier Geno makes their job.
Voepel had a good chance to quote Genos comparison of Paige to Diana to Paige but took the safe road and only asked Paige who she tried to emulate among the UCONN greats. Basically Diana and Sue

Reaction Score
Well, clearly Liv had her issues, but the offense had problems once she hit the bench. Of the freshmen Mir is a PLAYA and she needs minutes. I think in the chat I said a hundred times that Mir reads the ball off the rim as well as anyone I've seen in Husky blue. Her sweetness around the rim in finishing is pure. Paige is what we expected, a future POY. Edwards is a beast, but she'll need to stay in the game by limiting her fouls, taming her aggression a bit, and showing something beyond 8 feet. Muhl is a fine passer but shows limitations on defense and working off the dribble. No one looked in great condition, although Paige surprised me with hers. She also surprised me with her quick hands and quick feet on defense. PB is a two way player.
How do you come to all these conclusions after one game. All the freshman are playing their 1st college game and are very excited. Lets wait on the negativity until they have played a few games. I thought they all played excellent and are great players. I think we have two starting five on this team .

Reaction Score
I am delighted the season has begun! I am sure the team was very happy to play today. I enjoyed the game. There were exciting moments and puzzling moments. It will take some time for the team to settle down since there are many new players. Even the returning players get affected. This is a team sport after all. The many games in the next two weeks should allow the team to settle down, I shall hold my comments about the game till after that..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So another year, and yet more criticism from some on Christyn’s play. If you watched the pregame segment on Christyn, one of the things she talked about was not relying solely on her ability to score/shoot to be able to impact the game. Her goal this year was to impact the game in multiple ways, and that’s exactly what she did today.

Let’s start with what everyone sees, her 3-pt shooting. 0-4 is not good, and I’m sure Christyn was not happy with it. But Christyn excelled at getting to the basket and was 5-8 from inside the arc. She also added 3 assists

On the defensive side, Christyn played an excellent game. She had 7 defensive boards. Christyn also added 3 steals and a blocked shot.

If Christyn had gone say, 2-4 from the arc, we would all be talking about what a great all-around game she had. Just sayin......,

Reaction Score
To all it may concern:

Finally we have played a game. The season we have waited for these many months is here.

As great as Kareem, Cousy, Oscar, Russell et al were, this thread is about the UConn game today. There are other boards appropriate to argue about old NBA heroes. Please leave this thread and this board to UConn Women's basketball.
Thanks.

Thank you!

Reaction Score
Re Nika:

I think the image that I will carry away from this game is her facial expression whenever the camera was able to capture it. Other players such as Paige and Aaliyah are very competitive, but their facial expressions during play look relaxed. Nika, on the other hand, had a facial expression that I associate with Jen Rizzotti or Jamelle Eliot when they were players -- like they were ready to start a beat if the opponent contested a rebound.

I also noticed her comment about how defense in America is soft, and everything that she is used to doing is called a foul. She seemed like a very good defender, getting a really good block near the basket in the third quarter, mostly because she was determined not to be beat.

During the "all access" segment at the end, did you catch the dialog where Geno was talking to Paige and (predictably) needling her:

"It's a good thing that you wear 5 and Nika wears 10, because she's twice the defender that you are. But that's OK -- other teams have lots of bad offensive players that you'll be able to guard."
Way, way too early to write off Muhl. I think the transition from European ball to NCAAW is difficult - seems it took Makurat a while last year to become comfortable with college play. As mentioned above, she's probably holding back a bit on defense because she's gun-shy about officiating. I agree about her demeanor - she seems to be an intense competitor, which will eventually earn her a place on the floor.

Reaction Score
Really nice showing by all who played today. I loved the unselfishness of the players. Paige looked real comfortable out there. Just in control the whole way. Evina. Awesome addition to the squad. Her defense. Her passing. It is going to be nice having her out there on the floor. Anna played really well. The really impressive one, even my grandmother was geeked, was the play of Mir McLean! Her play on the boards was fun to watch. Granted it was one game but seeing her fighting for them boards...awesome!! Looking forward to the next game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Speaking of defense, did you guys just hear what Nika said during the All-Access show? That she fights with coach because defense in America is so soft and they call everything a foul.
I also liked Geno’s remark that it’s a good thing Paige wears #5 and Nika #10 because Paige is half the defender Nika is.

Paige is a really good defender; I think once she’s adjusted, Nika will be scary good.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Edwards was a freshman playing in her 1st game and was overly aggressive. Liv is a Junior in her second year of starting and should not have been driving a struggle bus against UMASS-Lowell. I’ll take the aggression every time.
Liv. Yeah. First game, shake off the rust. I wanted to see her go over her left shoulder just once though. I'm sure she works on it in the gym, as well as her FT shooting, but when the game starts she seems to fall into old habits. In October Geno said she was showing more variety around the rim, and against a team like UMass-Lowell I thought this was great time to show it. My hopes to no avail. I really hope one day soon a light goes on. The talent is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom