UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm late posting as I wanted to re-watch the game to be sure what I thought I saw.
Paige was exactly what I expected to see although I didn't expect her to start. The game was much different when she was not on the floor. I am sure she did what she was told to do. Pound the ball into the paint. I worked for the most part. Exploit the height advantage. She can shoot and hit from anywhere yet she took no 3s. I'm sure that was in the game plan. She had "only" 5 assists. The other players have to finish plays to get more. An example: late in the game she did a pick and roll with Paith. The ball went where Paith was supposed to be but she was not there so it was a turnover.

My favorite pass of the day was from Evina to Paige under the basket for a bunny + 1.

CW played well but could not hit her open shots. Good defense and good slasher/scorer.
Nika looked a bit slow likely due to her foot issues. I hope her lack of looking to score does not lead to a Molly like career.
Mir was special. When she learns the plays she will be very good. Aubrey was good in what seemed like more limited minutes.
Liv looked more mobile and aggressive but seemed out of gas early in 2nd half and did not return.
Anna was active but also seemed to tire. As someone noted she is not 0 for America this year.
I also was disappointed Autumn didn't get in but I'm sure that was also by design. This was the "preseason" game to see what the scholarship players had to offer. She will get her chance.

Lastly I loved the quarter ending play designed to have Paige score. It worked.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think this team will labor against teams that pack the paint and expose their outside shooting. That is unless Paige, CW, Evina, and Anna show more.

I think the outside shooting will come. And possibly Geno gave us a hint at a focus on spreading the floor with his starting lineup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure if posted already but Geno's Post game press conference. Oh man, he loves Paige and he is liberally comparing Paige's mindset to the game to Diana (13:30)

Check the statement at 23:00. Classic Geno. :p

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Nike, Edwards and Mir all got in the game before Griffin. Wonder why?
VA Husky, absolutely no attack just a hint. Geno has multiple ways to send a message. ;)

As to the game a lot of respect for UMass Lowell and coach Garrick. They came into a match with Goliath and played hard through out. Not going to do a team run down as so much here already. I will say I still believe in Olivia and she will learn to finish. Not a lot to be taken from a game like this other than it lowered the blood pressure of The Boneyard to finally have a game. :D
Happy to have our new Jamelle on board in the form of Aaliyah, a must for facing bigger teams. Will re watch the game, view the stats and watch the development with the coming games. Going to be an interesting season to say the least.
Game stats.....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
For one thing, watching the game today showed why people should not matter of factly say UConn will go undefeated. Another, how could a game like this cause anyone to determine how well any particular player will play this season? With all the substitutions, it took some players longer than others to get in a flow. It looked as if the team was trying to work the offense instead of doing a lot of taking a lot of outside shots, hence they passed on a number of outside shots. Paige played better than anyone else today but that does not mean she was the best player out there. We need to wait to see how she plays against better guards, especially stronger guards who will post her up. Nika came here with a reputation of being a strong ball handler, being good on defense and an offensive game that needed work, especially her outside shot. Also, she had not practiced much the past few days. She will be fine. This team, after they have played a few games and the coaches know what combinations work best, will be very good, I believe. I do see them losing some games though. The talent is there, the the bench is at least four players long and all the other things needed to reach a FF are there. The coaching staff will bring it out, imo. Don't be surprised if Piath earns some playing time before the season ends.

Reaction Score
Watched the highlights. I’m impressed by how the team played in the passing lane. They picked a lot of passes off on defense.
Paige is just a natural and there’s no denying that. She does everything! Pass, score, rebound, defense.
And Azzi is even better. Next year is game over.

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Nike, Edwards and Mir all got in the game before Griffin. Wonder why?
Not quite. Griffin got in the game before Mir. It’ s not surprising to me at all. Nika is the logical sub for Evina and Edwards is the logical sub for ONO. Audrey and Mir are the two energy bunnies for the second and fourth quarters who will give tiring opponents fits.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And fast forward to 2022 when you have Ice, Amari, and a junior Edwards as your bigs to go along with Paige and Azzi and everyone else.
Piath will be there also. She may be the best of them all. For those who need to know, her name is Piath, not Paith.:mad:

Reaction Score
Watched the highlights. I’m impressed by how the team played in the passing lane. They picked a lot of passes off on defense.
Paige is just a natural and there’s no denying that. She does everything! Pass, score, rebound, defense.
And Azzi is even better. Next year is game over.
Better shooter, yes. They are different types of players; it’s like having Oscar and Jerry West in the same backcourt.

Reaction Score
Piath will be there also. She may be the best of them all. For those who need to know, her name is Piath, not Paith.:mad:
Oh yeah how could I forget her. It'll be nice to have a stable of skilled bigs again. It'll feel like the days of Stef-Stewie-Kiah.

Reaction Score
Wow! Was dying all day to see this game-just got on the replay.

-I saw subs. And subs. And subs. Don't remember ever seeing a UConn team that could go this deep.
-I saw fundamentally sound players. Paige, Westbrook, Anna - made mistakes but generally always in the right spot making the right play. Surprised Geno didn't use Westbrook at PG. She knows basketball.
-I saw tall guards. Loved some of small guards of past years but unlikely we will see pick and rolls to isolate the point or any other guard this year. Paige at 6' has longer arms than I thought and anticipates passes well. Isolating on her is a good way to get the pass stolen.
-I saw many, many missed C Williams 3 pointers. Her footwork on jump shots was terrible. If I had never seen UConn play before, I would say she was the frosh on the starting 5. Hesitant and indecisive.
-ONO unimpressive and easily tired. Most of her points came on layups where she had a 5" height advantage. Seemed to always got pushed out on her 5' shots. She needs to take lessons from Edwards who has the strength and attitude to clear defenders out from under the basket.
-Predict Geno will yell at Anna to take more shots. Fundamentally one of the best on the team and will score well with all the great movement on this year's team.

Reaction Score
After watching the game, I took a long walk to digest the action, and waited to post, so here are a few thoughts; ( I keep in mind the opponent was who they were)
Paige is the real deal, this kid can score/assist at will!
I honestly believe Edwards will be pushing Olivia to be a better player, or O will be getting more pine time as the season progresses
Anna is solid.
Evina is going to make us forget that Walker left a year early.
Christyn is overthinking the game, and needs to just "let it go".
Aubry and Mir are terrific athletes who will contribute greatly this year.
Nika is Anna at the beginning of last season.
Piath is big
Why didn't Autumn play???
This is great analysis, but I disagree about Nika. She just got over an injury and is much more aggressive a player than Anna was last year. She will be a huge contributo IMO.
As to why Autumn didn’t play? Someone will ask Geno and he won’t answer.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because she saw Paige coming to UConn, followed by Azzi next year, and then Ice the year after that?

Not to mention the fall of ND from perennial power and her growing lack of patience with the issues involved with losing

Still, I view it as a strength to leave a job if you feel you cant be the best at it anymore or your heart is not in it anymore.

Reaction Score
I just wish we could see the teams bench as they moved them from the top of the screen to the bottom :(
I want to see the interactions of CD, Jamelle and Shea with the players and I want to see who gives the high 5s on 3s!

Go UCONN! The Journey to the 12th National Title starts with a single game....:cool:

Reaction Score
I noticed this during the mens game and wondered why... Today Bestwick said it was switched due to Covid... ???
Why???

Reaction Score
My era: Cousy and Oscar were quite dissimilar. Cousy was a facilitator, pass first, shoot second. Oscar was shoot first, pass second. The results were: Cousy won 10 NBA titles; Oscar won 1, eh? Paige is more like Bob Cousy but can score like Oscar...

I think Cousy's teammates were a little bit better than Oscar's.

Oh, and Sam Jones had 10 titles. Cousy had six.

Reaction Score
Milwaukee also didn’t have 10 HOF players on its roster like Boston often had simultaneously.

You mean the Cincinnati Royals. Didn't play for Milwaukee until 1970-71 and promptly won a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom