UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Watched the highlights. I’m impressed by how the team played in the passing lane. They picked a lot of passes off on defense.
Paige is just a natural and there’s no denying that. She does everything! Pass, score, rebound, defense.
And Azzi is even better. Next year is game over.
I don't know if Azzi is even better or not. I've seen Paige in about 10 games on tape and Azzi 10 times in person. I think they are very comparable. Azzi has good vision and is a good passer, but Paige is even better. Paige is an excellent shooter, but Azzi is the best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Piath will be there also. She may be the best of them all. For those who need to know, her name is Piath, not Paith.:mad:
Yep. Nika and then Aaliyah came in in Q1. Aubrey started Q2. Mir came in later in Q2.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She reminds me alot of Kalana Greene with the play inside with the double pump down low.
I can see that. KG, before her knee surgery, was uber-athletic. In fact, she wasn't too shabby after surgery.

Mir is slightly taller and maybe even a quicker leaper. I think she's a little better shooter.

Mir played 3 sports in prep school. I think this is the first year that she has focused on just basketball. Her hoop skills and knowledge may be lagging a bit, but she's bright and hard-working, so she will catch up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So another year, and yet more criticism from some on Christyn’s play. If you watched the pregame segment on Christyn, one of the things she talked about was not relying solely on her ability to score/shoot to be able to impact the game. Her goal this year was to impact the game in multiple ways, and that’s exactly what she did today.

Let’s start with what everyone sees, her 3-pt shooting. 0-4 is not good, and I’m sure Christyn was not happy with it. But Christyn excelled at getting to the basket and was 5-8 from inside the arc. She also added 3 assists

On the defensive side, Christyn played an excellent game. She had 7 defensive boards. Christyn also added 3 steals and a blocked shot.

If Christyn had gone say, 2-4 from the arc, we would all be talking about what a great all-around game she had. Just sayin......,
I watched the game on my phone and the reply on the big screen. Other than her missing all 4 treys and 2 right-handed layups, I thought Christyn played pretty well in the replay.

Reaction Score
My era: Cousy and Oscar were quite dissimilar. Cousy was a facilitator, pass first, shoot second. Oscar was shoot first, pass second. The results were: Cousy won 10 NBA titles; Oscar won 1, eh? Paige is more like Bob Cousy but can score like Oscar...

That is beyond silly, and I watched both of them many times. Cousy had FAR better players around him, and a much better coach. But Robertson was a significantly better player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Way, way too early to write off Muhl. I think the transition from European ball to NCAAW is difficult - seems it took Makurat a while last year to become comfortable with college play. As mentioned above, she's probably holding back a bit on defense because she's gun-shy about officiating. I agree about her demeanor - she seems to be an intense competitor, which will eventually earn her a place on the floor.
Nika complains in practices about American defenses being "soft." She is accustomed to more contact and a more rugged form of defense. She'll adjust.

Reaction Score
I want to go back to the idea of a 9-player rotation, that’s heavy on long, quick guards & wings. UConn can press and trap teams all game long, and not worry about fatigue or foul trouble. Can’t wait to see how this team develops.
The thought of Aubrey and Mir at the point of a press is going to cause heartburn for someone.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't know if Azzi is even better or not. I've seen Paige in about 10 games on tape and Azzi 10 times in person. I think they are very comparable. Azzi has good vision and is a good passer, but Paige is even better. Paige is an excellent shooter, but Azzi is the best.
Can't wait until next year when Azzi is the SG and Paige is the PG. Actually it will be like when Azzi has the ball Paige is the SG and when Paige has the ball Azzi is the SG. Maybe they are both PG/SG and the rest are just happy to get the ball from either of them when they are open. Pitty the teams that have to defend next year's team, NOT. :D

Reaction Score
I can see that. KG, before her knee surgery, was uber-athletic. In fact, she wasn't too shabby after surgery.

Mir is slightly taller and maybe even a quicker leaper. I think she's a little better shooter.

Mir played 3 sports in prep school. I think this is the first year that she has focused on just basketball. Her hoop skills and knowledge may be lagging a bit, but she's bright and hard-working, so she will catch up.
I always thought KG could have been AA if she wasn't injured.

Reaction Score
1--- I thought Liv looked fine in 1st half. She is not a power player and never will be. Thus she needs to hit little jump shots in the paint. Sometimes she is going to miss. No difference than a 3pt shooter who sometimes is off just hopefully she will be a lot more "on" than "off." But all the shots were makeable. The FT shooting was downright awful.
Had some "strong" moves in 1ts half. I tend to think the 14 day layoff with no games winded her in 2nd half. Hope so . . .

2--- CWill's shot is a concern. She even missed layups just like last year.

3--- Paige was the best player on the floor. Would have like her to shoot at least 1 three. She was wide open one play. Though on that play she took a couple dribbles in then made a Paige-like pass.

4--- Very upbeat regarding Edwards. I didn't realize how long her arms are. Unless they were exaggerated due to the opponent? A big positive is that if Liv gets into foul trouble - Edwards seems like a player who can play competitively vs a good big. Love her power and length. Hope it translates also vs a good top-tier opponent.

5-- Griff and Mir are absolute special special athletes. Mir reminds me of the skinny, small, low post scorer from Baylor years ago- Nina Davis. Griff didn't seems as explosive other than that 2-3 minute flurry. One play Paige ran right by her while she had the ball in her hands. Though it's probably inconsequential.

When they are both on the court-- I sort of light up waiting for some freak athletic play. :) :):)

6-- Evina is "at worst" a "glue player." Looking forward to her progression. Very very fluid player.

7-- I have no idea what to make of Nika. But if Geno is playing her- then sure expect to see some good play.

8-- Regarding the defense - if they are playing aggressive whether press or not-- I see here some have made comments about the other team "being open and if they hit their shots . . . " For this game I see this as completely irrelevant, Sometimes when you play aggressive - the other team is going to get an open shot. It is impossible to play perfect - offense or defense.

Summary:
9--------- Very young team. They key to this year is "balance" on offense (need to be able to shoot 3's and also need to be able to find ways to get easy baskets.).

10------ Looking forward to an evolving defense whatever that may be.

Reaction Score
(1) For one thing, watching the game today showed why people should not matter of factly say UConn will go undefeated.

(2)Paige played better than anyone else today but that does not mean she was the best player out there.

(3)We need to wait to see how she plays against better guards, especially stronger guards who will post her up.

(4)I do see them losing some games though.

(5) Don't be surprised if Piath earns some playing time before the season ends.

1-- How many posters said without-a-doubt "undefeated?"

2-- If Paige played better than anyone else today then why wouldn't it mean she was the best player?

3-- Also- sure an occasional post up will happen. BUT LOL for any team being able to do what you are suggesting. Why would UCONN let Paige defend a guard that is capable of controlling the game in the halfcourt instead of having them put someone like Evina or CWill on her?

I think what you are suggesting is that we're facing a WNBA team this year?

4-- Sure - possible I agree. I won't say for certain but yes possible.

5-- I agree. I won't be surprised seeing Piath earning playing time - during blowouts. - But i see her "earning" those blowout minutes nearly most of the season. Unless injury or massive foul troubles - if game is close she won't get in. Maybe to give a foul?

Reaction Score
Other interviews up at Storrs Central

Evina. (Hint, She loves Paige)

[/QUOTE. Solid person. Team oriented above all else, good self awareness as an older player and her responsibilities, and good sense of how she played. She gave herself a 5 or a 6. I hope we all realize that we only saw the tip of the iceberg with her yesterday. Her defense was also a very happy addition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just watched the game for a 2nd time with my analytical eye, and a particular focus on Liv. In the first half Liv actually played pretty well. The second half was another story.

Liv runs the court as well as any Big in the country, and it lead to several fast break baskets for her. She is playing much stronger in the post this year, whether establishing position in the blocks or battling for rebounds. Her strong move to the basket, going to her left and right resulted in baskets or trips to the foul line.

Liv also showed a good understanding of where her teammates were, whether setting screens or passing the ball. She had 3 assists, although her best pass was an over the shoulder beauty from the low post that hit a cutting Paige on the baseline. Unfortunately, Paige uncharacteristically missed the reverse layup.

Liv demonstrated a really nice understanding of defensive positioning. With her head constantly on a swivel she was able to defend the paint as well as roaming all the way out to the arc to shut down open shooters. Liv was credited with 3 blocks, but actually had 4, all of which occurred when she came off her man to defend an open shooter. Liv also appears to have eliminated her former habit of swinging down when blocking shots, something that should keep her on the court rather than on the bench in foul trouble.

Liv’s fade away jump shot was clearly off. It looked a little flat to me, and perhaps simply the result of her timing being off after shutting down practice for almost 2 weeks then starting up again. Liv is not Pheesa, who could make that shot with her eyes closed, but she was fairly effective with that shot last year, against better competition than she faced yesterday. So I think it may be simply a case of timing and a little work on her release.

As for the 2nd half, Liv only played a little less than 4 minutes before Geno sat her down, probably to save her from herself. She was 0-7, including one sequence when she missed 4-5 straight layups right under the basket: miss, rebound, miss, rebound, miss, rebound... I feel reasonably certain that whatever we witnessed from Liv at the beginning of the 2nd half was an aberration that will hopefully not repeat itself

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The player I noticed the most when I rewatched is Aaliyah, Not only is she ridiculously strong and likes to shove players out with her tushy (a canadian trait perhaps ;)) but she posts hard, moves side to side to reposition and cuts through the entire shot clock. I thought comparisons to Naphessa were maybe a bit over the top but I see it now,

Geno also said she can pass from the top and has a pretty good 15' shot. That will be something when we see it all come together. And I am sure she will be ready for all of Paige's passes from now on,

Reaction Score
The good: PB better than we thought..and Geno thought!! MM: like a pogo stick..Reminded me of Dennis Rodman at times... AE - plays physical and we need that! Great passing team with PB, AM, EW and NM and going to get better. Guards look good all around and going to get better. AG: going to give us some easy scores on breakouts and put backs especially when Geno subs her in as the other team is tiring. Love her game..seems superhuman at times.

The bad: CW seems out of synch a bit but I wonder if I would still thought this if she would have hit 2 of the 4 threes she had. she isnt shooting the shot, she seems to me measuring it before letting it go...confidence is lacking in herself?? ONO: needs to finish. the drop back is her signature move and not a fadaway...she just needs to hit it. big guys sometimes have harder times when they play smaller players...but consistency is something i have always worried about with her.

the ugly: turnovers!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am amazed by long range conclusions about anything after one game in a weird season against a team that has no player better than our 10th player. The next week will tell us much more. The best thing is they finally got to play in real game situations.
Though you are right, why are you amazed by that? We all are starved for basketball. Of course we’re going to over project upon the very little sample we have available to us.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Usually so many conclusions cannot be extracted from a single data point. Very good! ;):rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A nice 'spiritual' article by Anthony on Paige. Recall he was in a Paige deep dive at the time of her commitment

Bueckers was the best player on the court, by far. She will be, often, between now and April 2024. It’s not because there is one particular aspect of Bueckers’ game that leaves one in awe. It’s because the basketball package that she honed in Greater Minneapolis and will further refine in Storrs is already, undoubtedly, a compilation of everything mental and physical that only special ones possess

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After watching what I saw yesterday I dont think we know how good this team is gonna be. Its gonna be off the charts and will only get better the next 2 seasons as our incoming classes are championships in the making.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After watching what I saw yesterday I dont think we know how good this team is gonna be. Its gonna be off the charts and will only get better the next 2 seasons as our incoming classes are championships in the making.

As good as we can be if everything breaks right this year, we still have holes. I think more realistically, FF is pretty reasonable and one there, we have a decent shot but I agree, the next 3+ seasons will be astonishing. Just get the space ready on the wall for both team and personal accomplishments. :cool:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Though you are right, why are you amazed by that? We all are starved for basketball. Of course we’re going to over project upon the very little sample we have available to us.
Clearly based on yesterday Mir is the best player on the team and Christyn should only play garbage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom