UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if Azzi is even better or not. I've seen Paige in about 10 games on tape and Azzi 10 times in person. I think they are very comparable. Azzi has good vision and is a good passer, but Paige is even better. Paige is an excellent shooter, but Azzi is the best.
Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird in 2021?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok, our walk on is our secret weapon and Geno is holding her back for the right moment. Cagey devil.
I don’t know about that, but she is tiny enough that she could sleep between screens.

Reaction Score
Just watched the game for a 2nd time with my analytical eye, and a particular focus on Liv. In the first half Liv actually played pretty well. The second half was another story.

Liv runs the court as well as any Big in the country, and it lead to several fast break baskets for her. She is playing much stronger in the post this year, whether establishing position in the blocks or battling for rebounds. Her strong move to the basket, going to her left and right resulted in baskets or trips to the foul line.

Liv also showed a good understanding of where her teammates were, whether setting screens or passing the ball. She had 3 assists, although her best pass was an over the shoulder beauty from the low post that hit a cutting Paige on the baseline. Unfortunately, Paige uncharacteristically missed the reverse layup.

Liv demonstrated a really nice understanding of defensive positioning. With her head constantly on a swivel she was able to defend the paint as well as roaming all the way out to the arc to shut down open shooters. Liv was credited with 3 blocks, but actually had 4, all of which occurred when she came off her man to defend an open shooter. Liv also appears to have eliminated her former habit of swinging down when blocking shots, something that should keep her on the court rather than on the bench in foul trouble.

Liv’s fade away jump shot was clearly off. It looked a little flat to me, and perhaps simply the result of her timing being off after shutting down practice for almost 2 weeks then starting up again. Liv is not Pheesa, who could make that shot with her eyes closed, but she was fairly effective with that shot last year, against better competition than she faced yesterday. So I think it may be simply a case of timing and a little work on her release.

As for the 2nd half, Liv only played a little less than 4 minutes before Geno sat her down, probably to save her from herself. She was 0-7, including one sequence when she missed 4-5 straight layups right under the basket: miss, rebound, miss, rebound, miss, rebound... I feel reasonably certain that whatever we witnessed from Liv at the beginning of the 2nd half was an aberration that will hopefully not repeat itself
I just think she ran out of gas. The bigger the body, the more work it takes to build conditioning....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just think she ran out of gas. The bigger the body, the more work it takes to build conditioning....
Yes, Liv was not as active in the 2nd half after running the court hard and banging in the paint the entire 1st half. Fortunately, we have a freshman enforcer, with multi-colored locks ready to spell Liv whenever necessary.

Reaction Score
I noticed this during the mens game and wondered why... Today Bestwick said it was switched due to Covid... ???
Why???
In order to separate the players from the officials

Reaction Score
still, only one player, Bueckers, really successfully penetrated the defense. she scored on a couple of drives, passed to Edwards for a layup on another. this lack of penetration has been a problem for years. besides Williams, who only seems to try driving the baseline, I don't know who else might have the quickness/ability. It drives me crazy to see so much passing the ball around the perimeter, and dumping the ball down to Olivia. same old,same old; the other top teams seem to have players who really like to get to the basket. it is really the way the women's game has developed, and UConn has not kept up with that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who cares
Paige does if she can ever take advantage of the new NCAA rules allowing her to monetize her image through social media.
"Who cares" is kind of a silly comment. It's been discussed numerous times on the BY. Geno has poked fun at her for being "famous for being famous - Paige Khardashian". @oldude had a great point about why it's important to Paige, but to take it a step further, she's a phenomenon in WCBB. She had over a half million followers in high school.

Don't you think it's even mildly cool that so many people have an interest in her? How many of her followers are young girls who aspire to be like her? She's an incredible kid with great energy and a natural born leader. How many younger players will gravitate to UCONN because they want to play with Paige? How many future players will gravitate to UCONN because they want to be like Paige?

When you ask Paige whose game she admires and which players she wants to be like, she says "Diana and Sue". Guess what? They are former UCONN players. 10, 15, 20 years from now, hopefully up and coming players will want to come to UCONN because they want to be like Diana, Sue, and Paige.

I think it's tremendously cool and I would say not only do her 603,000 *edit 608,000* followers care, but so do the coaches, and almost every single fan of UCONN basketball. At least we all SHOULD care. She's a walking, talking real life advertisement for UCONN WCBB. There's no one like her in WCBB. We are SO lucky!!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
still, only one player, Bueckers, really successfully penetrated the defense. she scored on a couple of drives, passed to Edwards for a layup on another. this lack of penetration has been a problem for years. besides Williams, who only seems to try driving the baseline, I don't know who else might have the quickness/ability. It drives me crazy to see so much passing the ball around the perimeter, and dumping the ball down to Olivia. same old,same old; the other top teams seem to have players who really like to get to the basket. it is really the way the women's game has developed, and UConn has not kept up with that.

I am good with that. UConn when on uses all parts of the court through passing, ball movement screening etc. Dribbling is kept at a minimum and used selectively. If we properly space the floor, plenty of unforced driving opportunities will open up

If we start looking like other teams who force drives in the hopes of getting fouled, I will be in mourning

Reaction Score
You might be right or on the other hand perhaps the other teams have not developed and UConn has. To successfully run the UConn style offense you need 3 point shooters (remember that 40% on 3s is equal to 60% on 2s). The kick outs were not being hit in this game. Paige didn't shoot one and Nika basically didn't shoot. Watch out for games where CW, Anna, Paige, Evina, and Nika are hot! Won't need all 5 just 3 to light it up!

Reaction Score
Yes, Liv was not as active in the 2nd half after running the court hard and banging in the paint the entire 1st half. Fortunately, we have a freshman enforcer, with multi-colored locks ready to spell Liv whenever necessary.
It's only the first game but she played I think 16 minutes in the first half. This is not so much really especially since she is not 'banging' against big bodies or even remotely 'decent' competition. It is a bit disconcerting to me. Maybe she ran out of gas but I don't think it has to do with her 'banging' as it has to her not being in great shape and just not finishing her shots. At least I HOPE that is the case or maybe just being 'off'.

I think she is a 'rhythm' player and she never quite got into her rhythm. It could be because sometimes big players struggle against smaller players for whatever reason. It throws them off...it throws their 'rhythm' off.

Hopefully she gets better at this no matter how many minutes she has to play. We will need her to at least get 12 and 10 AND stay in the game against elite competition. This game was not good for her...

I am still hopeful as it is the first game and big guys usually take a few games to get into things especially if they are 'rhythm' type players. I'm also positive about things as I saw some really nice passes to her in the post from PB which should make Liv better and more comfortable where and when she gets the ball.

Comparisons are dicey but she reminds me of James Edward on the Pistons championship teams in the late 80s. She needs to have her shake right, shake left and step back, all in rhythm. If anything throws her off that rhythm, she has trouble. She can do a bit more than that, but that is her 'bread and butter'. Once she gets one or two to fall, you can count on a good game from her. Otherwise, you have to worry if she will 'have it' that game.

This is more from what I saw last year, although she improved nicely as the year progressed. But....my primary concerns still remain.....I am hopeful as it is early!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can someone tell me if there is anything this young lady can't do. She did not disappoint in the game or in the press conference. I'm very impressed with Paige and how mature she acts, both on and off the court.
She has yet to prove that she can shoot the 3 in college! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I meant to mention this in my 2 cents worth analysis. Somehow I don't think you or anybody is concerned.... I want to hold back what I really want to say until I see her against elite competition. :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that she wants to establish her role playing duties first. Then when her 3pt game is needed she will unleash it upon her opponents.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
1-- How many posters said without-a-doubt "undefeated?"

2-- If Paige played better than anyone else today then why wouldn't it mean she was the best player?

3-- Also- sure an occasional post up will happen. BUT LOL for any team being able to do what you are suggesting. Why would UCONN let Paige defend a guard that is capable of controlling the game in the halfcourt instead of having them put someone like Evina or CWill on her?

I think what you are suggesting is that we're facing a WNBA team this year?

4-- Sure - possible I agree. I won't say for certain but yes possible.

5-- I agree. I won't be surprised seeing Piath earning playing time - during blowouts. - But i see her "earning" those blowout minutes nearly most of the season. Unless injury or massive foul troubles - if game is close she won't get in. Maybe to give a foul?
Go back through the threads to check for yourself. There was more then one. Their were games where B. Stewart's teammates played better than she did. Did that make them better than she was? UConn switches on defense so there will be times when Paige will have to guard a player other than the one she was assigned to guard. If you know anything about basketball you should know that! I know better than to suggest that UConn will face a WNBA team. I did not say they will lose a game this season. I said I can see them losing. I did not say it was certain. Also, I believe Piath will improve throughout the season if enough games are played, some don't. As far as guards posting her up, it happened often with Jefferson but UConn quickly adjusted.

Reaction Score
the other top teams seem to have players who really like to get to the basket. it is really the way the women's game has developed, and UConn has not kept up with that.

The "top teams" you refer to-- one is UCONN. I don't agree at all with what you're saying.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nah! Nika displayed PG skills had some good moments offensively specifically on pick and roll. Her defensive technique has got miles to go to match Kelly. Kelly had incredible feet and was always directly in front of you which becomes incredibly annoying-just ask Skylar Diggins. Nika has a bad habit of swiping at the ball and gambling.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just watched the game for a 2nd time with my analytical eye, and a particular focus on Liv. In the first half Liv actually played pretty well. The second half was another story.

Liv runs the court as well as any Big in the country, and it lead to several fast break baskets for her. She is playing much stronger in the post this year, whether establishing position in the blocks or battling for rebounds. Her strong move to the basket, going to her left and right resulted in baskets or trips to the foul line.

Liv also showed a good understanding of where her teammates were, whether setting screens or passing the ball. She had 3 assists, although her best pass was an over the shoulder beauty from the low post that hit a cutting Paige on the baseline. Unfortunately, Paige uncharacteristically missed the reverse layup.

Liv demonstrated a really nice understanding of defensive positioning. With her head constantly on a swivel she was able to defend the paint as well as roaming all the way out to the arc to shut down open shooters. Liv was credited with 3 blocks, but actually had 4, all of which occurred when she came off her man to defend an open shooter. Liv also appears to have eliminated her former habit of swinging down when blocking shots, something that should keep her on the court rather than on the bench in foul trouble.

Liv’s fade away jump shot was clearly off. It looked a little flat to me, and perhaps simply the result of her timing being off after shutting down practice for almost 2 weeks then starting up again. Liv is not Pheesa, who could make that shot with her eyes closed, but she was fairly effective with that shot last year, against better competition than she faced yesterday. So I think it may be simply a case of timing and a little work on her release.

As for the 2nd half, Liv only played a little less than 4 minutes before Geno sat her down, probably to save her from herself. She was 0-7, including one sequence when she missed 4-5 straight layups right under the basket: miss, rebound, miss, rebound, miss, rebound... I feel reasonably certain that whatever we witnessed from Liv at the beginning of the 2nd half was an aberration that will hopefully not repeat itself
One thing I have not seen mentioned. Everyone of her shots, if I remember correctly, stayed in bounds and were recovered by a teammate. That's something the staff has been wanting her to do.

Reaction Score
Nah! Nika displayed PG skills had some good moments offensively specifically on pick and roll. Her defensive technique has got miles to go to match Kelly. Kelly had incredible feet and was always directly in front of you which becomes incredibly annoying-just ask Skylar Diggins. Nika has a bad habit of swiping at the ball and gambling.
Exactly. You play defense with your feet, not with your hands. Because the European game allows liberal hacking, Muhl hasn't really learned that yet. But she will. Bueckers has quick hands and gets a lot of steals but it's her outstanding anticipation and quick feet that allow her to blindside people and get into passing lanes.

Reaction Score
nika has good feet and anticipation. she is used to using her hands to swipe the ball away. I honestly thought there were a couple ticky tacky fouls there. but she will adjust and I love her game. She is all out, all the time....not afraid of anything. We will see if she can do the same, without the fouls and TOs against better competition. I think she has a good shot at that and this year! maybe not next week but this year!

Reaction Score
Go back through the threads to check for yourself. There was more then one. Their were games where B. Stewart's teammates played better than she did. Did that make them better than she was? UConn switches on defense so there will be times when Paige will have to guard a player other than the one she was assigned to guard. If you know anything about basketball you should know that! I know better than to suggest that UConn will face a WNBA team. I did not say they will lose a game this season. I said I can see them losing. I did not say it was certain. Also, I believe Piath will improve throughout the season if enough games are played, some don't. As far as guards posting her up, it happened often with Jefferson but UConn quickly adjusted.

With respect--

I don't why you bothered to mention such as wins and losses and low post. For example if UCONN adjusted to low post then that negated the low post efficiency, yet you felt it relevant during this game thread to post that philosophy? - Yet that philosophy was shown to still result in a loss? Okay. But it's okay if I don't think that a team can consistently do this and beat UCONN as you are suggesting, right? What games are there to cite in recent memory that UCONN lost to a team that featured low posting their guards? With Dangerfield imo they didn't low post her as a feature - they just shot over her whether 5 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet etc. And there is a huge difference in size.

And wins and losses- you felt a need to post "they could lose" "but they might not?" I mean every year they might lose imo. So you can understand my response if I think so, right? And I agree with this year they might lose. So are we arguing? I thought we were agreeing? However, I have not seen a large number of posters suggesting UCONN will 100% win all the games this year. If you have - ok- but I haven't.

As far as Piath - you previously said "Don't be surprised if Piath earns some playing time before the season ends." Based on your other posts - I don't know what this means now. I won't disagree with that "she might improve"-- but if you are suggesting she is going to play more than a minute or 2 in big close games unless foul trouble or injury - then imo that won't happen. She'll play in blowouts. You have to earn playing time in those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom