UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus...

Reaction Score
I'd call Yakwe more than a flyer. He's a guaranteed defensive presence, which we need. Offensively, yeah, he's flyer. But Diarra wasn't giving us much there anyway.

I thought Diarra was going to be one of the big surprises this year. Shame to hear.

He should be an upgrade over Onuorah, at the very least. I liked the addition because he adds a different dimension to the team. Whether that will be worth his weaknesses elsewhere, I'm not sure.

He averaged 4.1 blocks per 40 minutes as a freshman, which is a lot. But then he dropped to 3.8 as a sophomore and 2.7 last year. Comparatively, Brimah averaged 5.0 blocks per 40 minutes for his career, never dipping below 4.3 in a single season. He was also a far more effective rebounder and offensive player than Yakwe. Given how this board treated Brimah, I'm not sure a poor man's version of him is going to inspire a lot of confidence.

We're really banking on on him returning to where he was as a freshman if he's going to be a useful player, and even then, I don't know what role a 6'7 shot blocker who doesn't do much else is on a college team. My guess is that Hurley sees value in his versatility.

Reaction Score
Yeah that seems a bit much. I mean i can see being in a brace and/or crutches for about 6 weeks but 4-6 months seems a lot but i guess its because he plays basketball?
Sarcasm?

Reaction Score
If you are a believer in BPM, Whaley is a borderline startable player for a good team, and absolutely should be starting for this team.

Yakwe/Carlton is interesting, but Yakwe was just so bad offensively, it's amazing. I haven't seen many OBPMs that poor. He was DO level bad.

Whaley seemed to hit a wall around February. Before that, the eye test definitely supported BPM. He was doing really impressive things defensively that gave me hope he could be a really dynamic player on that end.

He's certainly not a player I rule out, but his statline over his last 10 or 11 games has to be the worst I've ever seen from a UConn player getting regular time. He scored 10 points, got 8 rebounds, and dished 3 assists total over his last 101 minutes. I don't even know how that's possible, he was making Terrence Samuel look like basketball Jesus. It's possible that DO might have been as bad or worse and I'm almost positive Ollie trotted them out there together. Last year's team was truly special.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Comparatively, Brimah averaged 5.0 blocks per 40 minutes for his career, never dipping below 4.3 in a single season. He was also a far more effective rebounder and offensive player than Yakwe. Given how this board treated Brimah, I'm not sure a poor man's version of him is going to inspire a lot of confidence.

Brimah was a high end backup center who had to start and play as much as possible. If UCONN ends up having to rely on Yakwe as much as Brimah, then they will definitely be struggling. And yes, the board would unleash on him.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Whaley seemed to hit a wall around February. Before that, the eye test definitely supported BPM. He was doing really impressive things defensively that gave me hope he could be a really dynamic player on that end.

He's certainly not a player I rule out, but his statline over his last 10 or 11 games has to be the worst I've ever seen from a UConn player getting regular time. He scored 10 points, got 8 rebounds, and dished 3 assists total over his last 101 minutes. I don't even know how that's possible, he was making Terrence Samuel look like basketball Jesus. It's possible that DO might have been as bad or worse and I'm almost positive Ollie trotted them out there together. Last year's team was truly special.
The biggest issue with this team is that the entire front court is filled with journey men and underweight backup tier players. The difference in talent level between our back court and front court may be the widest gap in the country. Maybe we do just play to our strengths and go with a circa 2006 Villanova type starting lineup. Will need to gang rebound. This Florida State game is going to be interesting their smallest player in rotation is 6’4 and their center in 7’4.

Reaction Score
Losing Diarra hurts. He was effective on defense and offense at the end of last year but still troubled by stupid fouls. I thought this would be the year he puts it all together and is an impact player for us upfront. I think the chances we play small are now increased. I think we will see a lot of lineups with Polley and Wilson at the 3-4 and 3 guards will used a lot during the season. Carlton starting is a given and I don't see another guy making much an impact up front from our big men unless Yawke or Cobb play great. Cobb has some skills but he is such a defensive liability that having him on the floor is a black hole. Same for Yawke on offense. I still think these guys are more backup players than starter and unless Whaley gained a lot of muscle he really has no chance of playing well against the bigger teams we will play.

Reaction Score
Brimah was a high end backup center who had to start and play as much as possible. If UCONN ends up having to rely on Yakwe as much as Brimah, then they will definitely be struggling. And yes, the board would unleash on him.
Brimah was the AAC Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore. It's as much UConn's fault as his that he didn't develop beyond that point. In any case, to call him a back up is absurd.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If you are a believer in BPM, Whaley is a borderline startable player for a good team, and absolutely should be starting for this team.

Yakwe/Carlton is interesting, but Yakwe was just so bad offensively, it's amazing. I haven't seen many OBPMs that poor. He was DO level bad.
Whaley's sample size is far too small to analyze.

If I were Whaley or Polley I would be trying to put on weight and working on my rebounding right now, that 4 spot is wide open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A high end backup on a great team, maybe. But I think the lack of a quality backup behind him was equally problematic. He and Facey had some limitations that were exposed against P5 teams, but I never really felt like they held us back as much as coaching and guard play. If you plug those guys into this roster, with Hurley coaching, you're looking at a top ten team. Yakwe isn't in that class.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Brimah was the AAC Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore. It's as much UConn's fault as his that he didn't develop beyond that point. In any case, to call him a back up is absurd.

That might speak more to the quality of the AAC than anything. He earned that award for his blocking ability. He was an average man to man defender. And he had trouble staying on the court. Worse, he was a black hole offensively. UCONN generally played 4 on 5 when he was on the court. That mitigates his defensive contributions.

It doesn't matter what he could have become or that it was UCONN's fault for not developing. I'm just talking about what he was on the court. A good starting center will give you the defense, plus 12 and 8 with maybe a couple assists.

This is coming from someone who liked Brimah, despite his faults. I'm just trying to be realistic about what he was at UCONN.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A high end backup on a great team, maybe. But I think the lack of a quality backup behind him was equally problematic. He and Facey had some limitations that were exposed against P5 teams, but I never really felt like they held us back as much as coaching and guard play. If you plug those guys into this roster, with Hurley coaching, you're looking at a top ten team. Yakwe isn't in that class.

That might be, but I'm talking more about what he was on the court and how people responded to him on this forum as a result. If he would be a different player with better coaching, we didn't get to see it.

Similar things could be said about Yakwe. He'll finally get quality coaching and a better team. Also, he dealt with injuries over the course of his career at St Johns.

Back to Brimah, how many UCONN centers would he have started over in the last 20 years or so?

Reaction Score
The biggest issue with this team is that the entire front court is filled with journey men and underweight backup tier players. The difference in talent level between our back court and front court may be the widest gap in the country. Maybe we do just play to our strengths and go with a circa 2006 Villanova type starting lineup. Will need to gang rebound. This Florida State game is going to be interesting their smallest player in rotation is 6’4 and their center in 7’4.

Agreed. Though in fairness, the backcourt has plenty to prove as well. It wasn't like any of our guards were that special last season. Difference is they have the potential to be great whereas the front court does not.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the kid but the reality was that he was not a difference maker though we hoped for improvement. We have a weak and likely inadequate front court. A very nice group of guards but our bigs don’t spell excitement. Hurley will need to summon all of his skills (like the undertaker had to when Sonny Corleone got shot in the causeway).

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Mamoudou Diarra > Mamadou Diarra

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
4-6 MONTHS??? For a meniscus? I thought 4-6 weeks was more likely than months, but i'm no ortho.

That really sucks for the kid, hoping he's back by winter break.
I agree. I had meniscus surgery YEARS ago. It took some time. I know a young kid at a car dealership who had knee problems. Saw him a couple of weeks ago. He had the surgery and you never know it. Now, I understand we are talking sports here. I guess I am trying to say, meniscus surgery isn't as bad from decades ago. He will do fine. Therapy starts immediately.

Reaction Score

In fairness everyone seemed to hit a wall in February. I keep thinking kwintin may surprise some as he seems to be putting in the work but we keep forgetting the sophomore Whaley. This is still a very young and raw team. Whaley may be the guy.

Reaction Score
Having had multiple meniscus tears I think the situation is actually the opposite of what you postulate. I believe a tear in the white zone is simply snipped out. There is no blood supply for the meniscus to heal so the damaged portion is removed. This comes with a short recovery time, however, will likely predispose the patient to a higher risk of arthritis etc,,, in the long run. He probably has a tear in the red zone that can be repaired but this takes time.

What you say makes sense. I just copied the WebMD summary which didn't explain it the way you did.
I knew there was a circumstance where they just cut out the torn part and get the player back sooner and also knew the better repair (as you said red zone) was the one that takes much more recovery but is better for the player for the long term, especially his life after sports.

Reaction Score
Better he gets it fixed now over mid-season. Diarra will be a good piece for this team in the future.. Its not that big of a hit people are making it out to be..It is not like we just lost Carl Malone at the 4.

This allows Whaley and a few others room to grow.. I have a lot of faith in Whaley in his jr and sr years.. We are now going to have more time to invest in him.

Even more true for Karl Malone.

Reaction Score
That might be, but I'm talking more about what he was on the court and how people responded to him on this forum as a result. If he would be a different player with better coaching, we didn't get to see it.

Similar things could be said about Yakwe. He'll finally get quality coaching and a better team. Also, he dealt with injuries over the course of his career at St Johns.

Back to Brimah, how many UCONN centers would he have started over in the last 20 years or so?

Brimah wouldn't have started over any would he?
Maybe people here saw more of his summer league games, but the two or three in which I saw him it seemed just like his UConn days. Opponents were pushing him away from the basket, he took nice long strides from one end to the other and he looked lost on offense. Two years post college and he didn't look appreciably better and certainly didn't dominate.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brimah wouldn't have started over any would he?
Maybe people here saw more of his summer league games, but the two or three in which I saw him it seemed just like his UConn days. Opponents were pushing him away from the basket, he took nice long strides from one end to the other and he looked lost on offense. Two years post college and he didn't look appreciably better and certainly didn't dominate.

You would've started Phil Nolan/Tyler Olander/whomever we threw out there last year over Brimah?

Reaction Score
He should be an upgrade over Onuorah, at the very least. I liked the addition because he adds a different dimension to the team. Whether that will be worth his weaknesses elsewhere, I'm not sure.

He averaged 4.1 blocks per 40 minutes as a freshman, which is a lot. But then he dropped to 3.8 as a sophomore and 2.7 last year. Comparatively, Brimah averaged 5.0 blocks per 40 minutes for his career, never dipping below 4.3 in a single season. He was also a far more effective rebounder and offensive player than Yakwe. Given how this board treated Brimah, I'm not sure a poor man's version of him is going to inspire a lot of confidence.

We're really banking on on him returning to where he was as a freshman if he's going to be a useful player, and even then, I don't know what role a 6'7 shot blocker who doesn't do much else is on a college team. My guess is that Hurley sees value in his versatility.

Ok I can't resist champs sorry. If Yakwe is a poor mans version of Brimah it's a bad add period. The hope is he can actually body up and guard people in the inside while blocking a few shots. And offensively the kid averaged 7 points a game his freshman year in the Big East I'm guessing at the worst if he's healthy and the piece Hurley is hoping, their offensive comparison is at least a wash. The hope is his injuries and being buried by Mullin was the reason for his decrease in all stats while Hurley can find the kid who looked very promising as a freshman and not the poor mans AB.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
4-6 MONTHS??? For a meniscus? I thought 4-6 weeks was more likely than months, but i'm no ortho.

That really sucks for the kid, hoping he's back by winter break.

From what I gathered in 2016 (when I tore my meniscus while reffing an AAU tourney), I asked my PT guy about this since Derrick Rose had the 4-6 month one.

it's a different surgery for the same injury. I forget the technical details, but us "normies" dont' need that one because we don't put the same kind of stress on the knee as athletes (obviously).

BTW, also fun, supposedly it is typical for people who think they just have "creaky knees" to have a meniscus issue.

yeah, I ask weird questions like that while getting worked on. lol

4-6 months for a repair, where you put stitches in the meniscus to get it to heal, 4-6 weeks if you trim out the torn pieces. Those are the typical ranges. The meniscus heals slowly when repaired - stress it too early and you’ll pull the repair apart.

Reaction Score
4-6 months for a repair, where you put stitches in the meniscus to get it to heal, 4-6 weeks if you trim out the torn pieces. Those are the typical ranges. The meniscus heals slowly when repaired - stress it too early and you’ll pull the repair apart.
appreciate the explanation!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Quick side note--not all meniscus tears need surgery. If you put 100 people without any knee pain over the age of 40 into a MRI scanner, approximately 40% would have a incidental tear of their meniscus. The meniscus degenerates over time any many times does not require surgery.

Yes, but with the caveat that the more active you are on it, the more likely you are to extend the tear by quick stops and starts, pivoting and cutting, impact (like landing from jumps).

Like in basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom