UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
4-6 months for a repair, where you put stitches in the meniscus to get it to heal, 4-6 weeks if you trim out the torn pieces. Those are the typical ranges. The meniscus heals slowly when repaired - stress it too early and you’ll pull the repair apart.

Thanks for the clarification, Doc!

pj

Reaction Score
There were plentiful signs that the players weren't well nourished during KO's tenure. The frequent injuries, the failure to add muscle. They didn't have the nutrients they needed to repair and maintain tissue. I hope the new staff is tending to their diets.

Reaction Score
No. I really have no idea on the recovery time and how it relates to a basketball player. My brother tore his meniscus and was back to normal about two months later.
Recovery time is a function of the extent of the injury, the type of repair and the individual. I would assume in this case it’s a fairly serious tear and a major replacement/repair. Plus there is additional strengthening that a high level athlete will undergo that the average shmo won’t bother with. So he might be walking around and appear “fine” in say 3 months but need added time to strengthen the knee enough for play.

As for impact on the team we are thinner now upbfront but it’s unlikely that he was a critical guy at this point. More like a depth guy.

Reaction Score
There were plentiful signs that the players weren't well nourished during KO's tenure. The frequent injuries, the failure to add muscle. They didn't have the nutrients they needed to repair and maintain tissue. I hope the new staff is tending to their diets.
“We will build a 24-hour wellness program, where the time spent off the court and out of the weight room will be emphasized just as much as the time spent training,” he said in the statement. “We will be educating our team about how to eat, how to sleep, how to hydrate, how to recover -- establishing a game plan in all areas that can have a positive impact when it comes to on-court performance. There is a much greater commitment than just running and lifting. Ultimately, the tools we teach our players here will benefit them on and off the court, and long after their time at UConn.”

UConn Hires Performance Coach Known For Tripping NFL Player, Altercation With Diddy

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
“We will build a 24-hour wellness program, where the time spent off the court and out of the weight room will be emphasized just as much as the time spent training,” he said in the statement. “We will be educating our team about how to eat, how to sleep, how to hydrate, how to recover -- establishing a game plan in all areas that can have a positive impact when it comes to on-court performance. There is a much greater commitment than just running and lifting. Ultimately, the tools we teach our players here will benefit them on and off the court, and long after their time at UConn.”

UConn Hires Performance Coach Known For Tripping NFL Player, Altercation With Diddy

Yes, I saw that, and it's very important. I hope they are following through in an intelligent, well-grounded way. It's an area where the scientific consensus is lacking, the government guidelines are flawed, and it's easy to go astray. But effort is the first step.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Is doing back flips off boats in the Hamptons part of the new program? I kid, I kid.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw that, and it's very important. I hope they are following through in an intelligent, well-grounded way. It's an area where the scientific consensus is lacking, the government guidelines are flawed, and it's easy to go astray. But effort is the first step.

True, there is not consensus, but but high end professional athletic trainers have it pretty well sussed out. What they do works, as the proof is in the pudding. Guys get much bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, etc...

pj

Reaction Score
True, there is not consensus, but but high end professional athletic trainers have it pretty well sussed out. What they do works, as the proof is in the pudding. Guys get much bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, etc...

True ... though being well nourished enough to add muscle mass is relatively easy, that is a very simple tissue predominantly composed of protein and eating lots of protein with some other basics is half the battle. More complex tissues like joints (cartilage, tendons, ligaments, bone) for which the main nutrients are lacking in most people's diets, need more careful attention and effort. It's connective tissue where the injuries are usually concentrated, and that's not a coincidence. Just think about what people eat: "meat" which is muscle, they don't eat connective tissue which is only palatable after long cooking into soups and stews to make gelatin. They get the nutrients for muscle, it is the nutrients they never eat that are missing.

But since it's so easy to add muscle, it does suggest severe malpractice under KO's regime that the players didn't add muscle. I can't believe they weren't lifting. It's more likely there weren't tending to other ingredients of success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You would've started Phil Nolan/Tyler Olander/whomever we threw out there last year over Brimah?

I understand your point, but 20 years were mentioned, and my thoughts immediately went to past players rather than his contemporaries. While he may have been our best option during his time, it's doubtful he would have played much in the prior 16 or 17 years.

Of course, I may have unfairly overlooked Rakim Lubin (you know the guy who felt he was the next Charles Barkley).

By the way, did anyone watch Brimah's games in the summer league? After all the comments here about the former coach's failure to develop players it would be interesting to hear from knowledgeable people about how they think Brimah has progressed through two summer leagues and a year of pro ball here and in Europe. Purvis has seemed to develop but I don't know enough to say Brimah has or has not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom