UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Mamadou Diarra underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus...

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We have Whaley, Cobb, Williams, and Yakwe, we are fine.

Not to mention that we can play Sid at the 3 and Polley at the 4 to give us more offensive firepower in the lineup.

PS: Starting lineup should be Jalen, CV, Sid, Polley, and Carlton

Bench: Rique, Adams, Yakwe, Cobb, Whaley,
Don't forget we have Smith, who is our only completely healthy true PG and already knows the system. He will be in the rotation.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
A meniscus tear is generally viewed as a minor injury. Football players generally only miss a few weeks with torn meniscuses. Odd that this is requiring surgery. Not good.

Reaction Score
4-6 MONTHS??? For a meniscus? I thought 4-6 weeks was more likely than months, but i'm no ortho.

That really sucks for the kid, hoping he's back by winter break.
You can walk in 4-6 weeks, but D1 ball is a tall order. Have to get over the fear of another tear too. The mental side.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
You can walk in 4-6 weeks, but D1 ball is a tall order. Have to get over the fear of another tear too. The mental side.
That's bs Jimmy Butler returned from a major meniscus tear that required surgery after like 6 weeks. Some NFL players have returned after 2-3 weeks. It's not generally viewed as a bad injury.

Reaction Score
That's bs Jimmy Butler returned from a major meniscus tear that required surgery after like 6 weeks. Some NFL players have returned after 2-3 weeks. It's not generally viewed as a bad injury.

Depends on whether the meniscus is removed or repaired. If the meniscus (or piece) is removed it’s a quicker recovery than if it the meniscus is repaired by stitching it back together. It also depends where the meniscus tear is and the available blood supply.

This is also the same knee as his previous injury. A lot of variables.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This will be more motivation for Hurley to get guys to step up. I wish nothing but the best for Mama. I’ve been at the edge of my seat waiting for him to break out. At least it wasn’t an ACL and he should be hungry when he returns off the bench for a few minutes/game. Bummer.

Reaction Score
Stinks to have happened with the onset of the Hurley era. Question now is how he not only rehabs but also stays in tune with the mental side of the game and the nuances which the new staff will impart on the team. MD cannot afford to distance himself, rather become increasingly cerebral, pick the coaches brains and learn how to properly defend w/o fouling.

Reaction Score
Don't forget we have Smith, who is our only completely healthy true PG and already knows the system. He will be in the rotation.
Why, and I repeat WHY, do so many people not consider Jalen a true PG??? I don’t really understand what he has to do for that stigma to change around here. He’s our starting PG, far and away our best PG, and as of right now the only player I trust with the ball in his hands on this team.

Reaction Score
A meniscus tear is generally viewed as a minor injury. Football players generally only miss a few weeks with torn meniscuses. Odd that this is requiring surgery. Not good.

From WebMD:Treatment for meniscal tears depends on the size and location of the tear. Other factors which influence treatment include age, activity level and related injuries. The outer portion of the meniscus, often referred to as the “red zone,” has a good blood supply and can sometimes heal on its own if the tear is small. In contrast, the inner two thirds of the meniscus, known as the “white zone,” does not have a good blood supply. Tears in this region will not heal on their own as this area lacks blood vessels to bring in healing nutrients.

From me: From the WebMD description it sounds as if Mamadou tore the meniscus in the "white zone", thus requiring full surgical repair and its resultant longer recovery time. And, if I recall correctly, this is the more permanent and best long term solution for younger people, especially athletes in high impact sports, because it can restore the complete meniscus rather than just simply removing the torn piece.

There is a shorter recovery time for lesser tears where they just remove the torn piece.

UConn is apparently doing what's best for the athlete in the long term, including his life after his playing career, and not worrying about how the team will be affected this year.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Funny how if Kemba’s JR season didn’t go as well as it did as a team, people would prob push the same narrative about him.

Reaction Score
I haven't read the replies in this thread, so I apologize if someone else has said this already but on Kwintins instagram story Mamadou was in the gym earlier shooting around. Shooting off one leg with the crutches off to the side. Just taking some stationary mid range shots with someone feeding him.

Reaction Score
Shooting off one leg with the crutches off to the side. Just taking some stationary mid range shots with someone feeding him.
Total respect for the kid for his heart. Inspiring.
The thing about things like this is, sometimes it's just not in the cards. That's just life. We all face it, at one time or another, with one thing or another. It's the day you realize that some thing that you've wanted or worked for or dreamed of . . . is not going to happen. It can be brutal. But, cliched but true, life goes on.
Obviously, we all hope the kid makes a complete recovery and breaks out and has a great career. It's entirely possible that he never sees any meaningful court time - he may be more Greg Oden than Sean Livingston.
Either way - and I feel very strongly about this - he came here, he's one of ours, DH re-recruited him to stay, and I have no doubt that Hurley and UConn will take care of him whether he becomes an all conference player or a guy who never plays more than 5 minutes a game. Once and always a Husky, and all that pish.

Reaction Score
I think he's more important to next year's team than anyone not named Adams or Gilbert. Now, we're likely shorthanded for the vital OOC portion of the schedule, and more importantly, we almost certainly will not see an imminent jump from a raw player who needed every second of skill development he could get.

I'm not sure how much this moves the needle if the goal is to make the tournament, but I now view our ceiling as considerably lower.

Reaction Score
I think he's more important to next year's team than anyone not named Adams or Gilbert. Now, we're likely shorthanded for the vital OOC portion of the schedule, and more importantly, we almost certainly will not see an imminent jump from a raw player who needed every second of skill development he could get.

I'm not sure how much this moves the needle if the goal is to make the tournament, but I now view our ceiling as considerably lower.
Not denying that losing diarra isn't somewhat of a blow. But I would argue that besides adams/gilbert....Polly, Wilson, and Carlton are more important to the teams success than Diarra was going to be.

Reaction Score
This is a loss for sure but I’m not prepared to say it is going to hold us back. So much goes into building a good team. Chemistry, rotation, player confidence etc. This could work in our favor if Whaley, Williams or Cobb really break out because they have more minutes. Cobb is in shape for the first time and has talent, Williams has that explosive energy that Diarra brings, Whaley showed flashes of good play and Yakwe brings rim protection and experience. Any of these guys mixed in with Wilson and Polley in a small lineup could provide for us. Diarra is a nice kid with plenty of potential but I wasn’t relying on him to carry this team in any way. I just wanted him to develop more.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is a loss for sure but I’m not prepared to say it is going to hold us back. So much goes into building a good team. Chemistry, rotation, player confidence etc. This could work in our favor if Whaley, Williams or Cobb really break out because they have more minutes. Cobb is in shape for the first time and has talent, Williams has that explosive energy that Diarra brings, Whaley showed flashes of good play and Yakwe brings rim protection and experience. Any of these guys mixed in with Wilson and Polley in a small lineup could provide for us. Diarra is a nice kid with plenty of potential but I wasn’t relying on him to carry this team in any way. I just wanted him to develop more.

None of the bigs are currently good enough to rely on carrying anything.

Although I am excited to have some actual rim protection this year.

Reaction Score
From WebMD:Treatment for meniscal tears depends on the size and location of the tear. Other factors which influence treatment include age, activity level and related injuries. The outer portion of the meniscus, often referred to as the “red zone,” has a good blood supply and can sometimes heal on its own if the tear is small. In contrast, the inner two thirds of the meniscus, known as the “white zone,” does not have a good blood supply. Tears in this region will not heal on their own as this area lacks blood vessels to bring in healing nutrients.

From me: From the WebMD description it sounds as if Mamadou tore the meniscus in the "white zone", thus requiring full surgical repair and its resultant longer recovery time. And, if I recall correctly, this is the more permanent and best long term solution for younger people, especially athletes in high impact sports, because it can restore the complete meniscus rather than just simply removing the torn piece.

There is a shorter recovery time for lesser tears where they just remove the torn piece.

UConn is apparently doing what's best for the athlete in the long term, including his life after his playing career, and not worrying about how the team will be affected this year.

Having had multiple meniscus tears I think the situation is actually the opposite of what you postulate. I believe a tear in the white zone is simply snipped out. There is no blood supply for the meniscus to heal so the damaged portion is removed. This comes with a short recovery time, however, will likely predispose the patient to a higher risk of arthritis etc,,, in the long run. He probably has a tear in the red zone that can be repaired but this takes time.

Reaction Score

Agree. We have just lost our starting 4 (and potentially leading rebounder) for the first two months of the season. Looking down the remaining roster, I would wager that two of our top three rebounders will be guards.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Having had multiple meniscus tears I think the situation is actually the opposite of what you postulate. I believe a tear in the white zone is simply snipped out. There is no blood supply for the meniscus to heal so the damaged portion is removed. This comes with a short recovery time, however, will likely predispose the patient to a higher risk of arthritis etc,,, in the long run. He probably has a tear in the red zone that can be repaired but this takes time.

The doc who has done all 3 of my meniscus tears also said that once you have it in one leg, you are likely to have the issue in the other leg in the next 7-9 years.

Mine was year 8...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom