UConn vs UCF post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCF post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Side note: a UCF kid tried to grab Meg around the arm after Meg snagged a rebound but Meg just shoved the kid away. The UCF fans wanted a foul but the refs probably saw what led up to it. Meg isn’t taking any crap and I love it

I have noticed this in the last few games. I like it.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou's previous 2 games vs SC and Temple she scored 29 and 19 points. Everyone said she was out of her slump, now she is back in a slump? after one game where she was slapped tripped and elbowed? Wow, I guess the wind changed direction.

As for Lou having an injury, coming into the game. I have not heard of any injuries.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I noticed that the team looked a lot better when Meg was on the court. Geno sat her so ONO could play in the second quarter but the team was out of sync when she was out. A big part of that is that Meg allows Napheesa to float around more because Meg is big and strong enough to play in the paint. Also, Meg is hitting jumpers with regularity so she must be guarded.

Side note: a UCF kid tried to grab Meg around the arm after Meg snagged a rebound but Meg just shoved the kid away. The UCF fans wanted a foul but the refs probably saw what led up to it. Meg isn’t taking any crap and I love it
Megatron

920x920.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yep. I was there as well and was not surprised to see the UCF style. It also should be noted there was one ref's TV review to see if a foul should be ruled deliberate (it was not) and a UCF player picked up a T for mouthing off.
I did not recall that the UCF coach substitutes as often as she does. I thought Charli Turner Thorne at ASU subbed a lot, but she has nothing on UCF. I have no idea how any group of five young women can develop any continuity of play when 20% of them are changed every 90 seconds or so.

I believe I heard Eric Frede mention that UCF was undefeated at home going into today’s game, is that right? I think they meet again in the post season conference finals, what do you think?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou WAS hurt last year and didn’t go through a shooting slump like this. Things like this just happen. Let’s hope her shot comes back in the NCAA tourney.

Let’s hope it comes back sooner than that, like on Wednesday against Memphis. Lou will be fine. Her biorhythms were probably out of sync today. :cool:

Reaction Score
Lou seems to get more emotional about being pushed around than other UCONN players. I see her complain to the refs a lot more than other players. I wonder whether her reactions are a distraction and are causing her to miss shots. I thought Collier got fouled many times today, but she is more low key about it and she seems to somehow avoid fouls to the face more easily.

Who didn't get fouled?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
ONO was by no means a project coming out of HS. Her improvement, though, validates for the umpteenth CD's status as a HOF coach. ONO obviously needs to get stronger and according to several reports, needs better effort in practice. It is fun watching her play now for extended periods at a consistent level.

Reaction Score
From the Orlando Sentinel.

"UCF delivered physical play, but UConn ultimately imposed it's will, outworking the Knights inside and out."

“I think that's part of our game, being physical don't let them get as many easy cuts as they did in the first game,” Wright said. “I think we did a pretty good job on that, jamming cutters and it was pretty good for us.”

“I think we did a pretty good job on that, jamming cutters, face guarding every chance we get and sometimes hitting the face and it was pretty good for us.” (I fixed it for you)

UCF women's basketball can't keep up with No. 4 UConn, falls 78-41

Reaction Score
Is there any video links from the either coach talking about the physicality of the game? i am intrigued to hear what each has to say.
At one point it looked like Geno was saying something to the UCF coach.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"UCF delivered physical play, but UConn ultimately imposed it's will, outworking the Knights inside and out."

“I think that's part of our game, being physical don't let them get as many easy cuts as they did in the first game,” Wright said. “I think we did a pretty good job on that, jamming cutters and it was pretty good for us.”

Someone needs to tell Kay Kay a few facts. You lost by 37 points. Shooting 34% from the field isn't going to get it done. If she thinks jamming the cutters was pretty good for them, not much one can say.

And Geno was not happy at all. He made it very clear that UCF was very chippy and that style of play is taught by Coach Abe. Not a glowing recommendation. As I said before, when you don't have the talent to compete with UConn, you have to play very physical and hope from there.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
If Lou can't handle UCF's defense how is she going to handle the speed and contact in the WNBA? She needs to figure it out now.
I didn't know that we were playing any WNBA teams this season so she doesn't need to figure it out. Lou didn't make a FG and the team beat UCF handily...so it was figured out by the team.

Reaction Score

Someone needs to tell Kay Kay a few facts. You lost by 37 points. Shooting 34% from the field isn't going to get it done. If she thinks jamming the cutters was pretty good for them, not much one can say.

And Geno was not happy at all. He made it very clear that UCF was very chippy and that style of play is taught by Coach Abe. Not a glowing recommendation. As I said before, when you don't have the talent to compete with UConn, you have to play very physical and hope from there.
Doubt at this stage of her coaching career, Coach Abe is concerned with competing with UConn. Out of her league, literally and figuratively. She is trying to build a style that allows her team, with average talent at best, to finish 2nd in AAC and make NCAA's. Time will tell if this works and is good for her personal career.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Lou seems to get more emotional about being pushed around than other UCONN players. I see her complain to the refs a lot more than other players. I wonder whether her reactions are a distraction and are causing her to miss shots. I thought Collier got fouled many times today, but she is more low key about it and she seems to somehow avoid fouls to the face more easily.
I believe that Lou is the only current player that was actually given a black eye during a game and this season was given a hip check (with the ref standing right there) and people question her "complaining". We all know that UConn always has a bullseye on their backs but Lou seems to be the only one with a bullseye on her front. Watch some replays and see how it is our opponents goal to make sure that Lou isn't the player that is going to beat them this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is physical play and there is dirty play. At times, UCF plays physical ball, closing hard and trapping on defense, which forces turnovers and bad shots. They also crash the boards hard on both ends of the court. I commend the Black Knights for the physical element of their play.

Unfortunately, UCF is also guilty of dirty play. Closing out on a shooter with your arm raised upward is basketball 101. What is not basketball 101 is closing out on a shooter with a arm horizontal and your hand directed at their face. What is also dirty play is clothes lining or hip checking a player whenever they cut through the lane.

Sometimes these dirty plays happen in the course of a basketball game when a player is out of position and makes an awkward or frustrated play. But with UCF, so many players use these techniques that the only conclusion that I can make is that these are techniques that are taught and encouraged by Coach Abe and her staff.

Coach Abe has clearly turned around UCF WBB by instilling the program with a sense of toughness. Unfortunately, she has also demeaned the program by fostering a culture that accepts cheap shots, dangerous play and trash talking nonsense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is physical play and there is dirty play. At times, UCF plays physical ball, closing hard and trapping on defense, which forces turnovers and bad shots. They also crash the boards hard on both ends of the court. I commend the Black Knights for the physical element of their play.

Unfortunately, UCF is also guilty of dirty play. Closing out on a shooter with your arm raised upward is basketball 101. What is not basketball 101 is closing out on a shooter with a arm horizontal and your hand directed at their face. What is also dirty play is clothes lining or hip checking a player whenever they cut through the lane.

Sometimes these dirty plays happen in the course of a basketball game when a player is out of position and makes an awkward or frustrated play. But with UCF, so many players use these techniques that the only conclusion that I can make is that these are techniques that are taught and encouraged by Coach Abe and her staff.

Coach Abe has clearly turned around UCF WBB by instilling the program with a sense of toughness. Unfortunately, she has also demeaned the program by fostering a culture that accepts cheap shots, dangerous play and trash talking nonsense.

Her game plan clearly included foul at every opportunity and try not to get caught, but make it worthwhile (the getting caught) by making it a hard. Lot of a blind siding fouls. Karma is a beatch I'm told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Her game plan clearly included foul at every opportunity and try not to get caught, but make it worthwhile (the getting caught) by making it a hard. Lot of a blind siding fouls. Karma is a beatch I'm told. Team motto: "We may not be very good, but we are dirty."
Teams pay so much attention to Lou that it frees other players. There doesn't seem to be a lot of plays designed to get her open but mostly you can't fault a game plan designed at getting Pheesa in the paint. It is when there are good taller girls going up against her that problems appear. And in two losses we didn't seem to have a plan B. And, yes, teams don't play that dirty unless their coach approves. With that style you can beat up weaker teams but against the elites you end up with Lou pointing at scoreboard.

Reaction Score
"Whack a Lou" is the best description for this game I could come up with. All that physical play by UCF resulting in a 37 point beat down? That was the best response UConn could have made. It also indicates that maybe the WWF approach is not the way to win basketball games.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Whack a Lou" is the best description for this game I could come up with. All that physical play by UCF resulting in a 37 point beat down? That was the best response UConn could have made. It also indicates that maybe the WWF approach is not the way to win basketball games.

It was the best and only response, because the officiating crew reminded me of the home game crews in another southern building. BUT on to the next game for me. No sense chewing on it after today.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have seasons tix for UCF but I can’t root for them. They play Temple next week. I’m going to wear red to the game and root for Tonya’s kids

Shame really. Maybe she moves on up and out after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom