UConn vs UCF post game thread | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCF post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Post game threads are fine, encouraged in fact.

I was at the game. UCF does a lot of holding , slapping, and grabbing. Geno once said teams that do that assume that the refs won’t call all of the fouls and that’s certainly the case with UCF. The crowd was pretty unhappy with the overly physical play.

The next time UCF gets called for one of its moving screens will be the first time that I’ve seen

Reaction Score
Yep. I was there as well and was not surprised to see the UCF style. It also should be noted there was one ref's TV review to see if a foul should be ruled deliberate (it was not) and a UCF player picked up a T for mouthing off.
I did not recall that the UCF coach substitutes as often as she does. I thought Charli Turner Thorne at ASU subbed a lot, but she has nothing on UCF. I have no idea how any group of five young women can develop any continuity of play when 20% of them are changed every 90 seconds or so.

Reaction Score
All that said, it was a good win for UConn. Positives? Napheesa continues to be wonderful. Olivia is developing, a little at a time.. Megan and Christyn are both coming back with at-times deadly 3s. Crystal is, well, Crystal.

Negatives? Katie Lou still is having shooting troubles. She makes some and misses some she used to make. No one makes all of 'em, but her shooting really has dropped off noticeably. Coombs does some very nice things on defense and does not look completely lost in the offense but OMG, her shooting. No one else got serious minutes, and I had hoped that in a UCF game, at least one or two others would.

Reaction Score
All that said, it was a good win for UConn. Positives? Napheesa continues to be wonderful. Olivia is developing, a little at a time.. Megan and Christyn are both coming back with at-times deadly 3s. Crystal is, well, Crystal.

Negatives? Katie Lou still is having shooting troubles. She makes some and misses some she used to make. No one makes all of 'em, but her shooting really has dropped off noticeably. Coombs does some very nice things on defense and does not look completely lost in the offense but OMG, her shooting. No one else got serious minutes, and I had hoped that in a UCF game, at least one or two others would.
she has got to be playing through an injury

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I think it's kinda hard to make shots (I think at one point she was 0 for 5, all 3s and on at least 3 of them she was hit in the face with no assault charges being filed :rolleyes:) when she was getting slapped around.
And I agree about Mikayla's shooting - she seems intent on attempting only highlight reel material but not making any of them.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I think there should be a more concerted effort to call some postups / mid range hooks for Lou. Perhaps UCF covers those options well but I can't believe we can't find it a few times to get Lou going.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How does one go about finding Coach Abe's post game presser?
I am wondering if she was asked about her team's "aggressiveness"...even if it may have been by design.
I got the impression that both coaches were not happy with the opposing team's play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How does one go about finding Coach Abe's post game presser?
I am wondering if she was asked about her team's "aggressiveness"...even if it may have been by design.
I got the impression that both coaches were not happy with the opposing team's play.

Yeah, Lou's nose was hurting their players hands. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I noticed that the team looked a lot better when Meg was on the court. Geno sat her so ONO could play in the second quarter but the team was out of sync when she was out. A big part of that is that Meg allows Napheesa to float around more because Meg is big and strong enough to play in the paint. Also, Meg is hitting jumpers with regularity so she must be guarded.

Side note: a UCF kid tried to grab Meg around the arm after Meg snagged a rebound but Meg just shoved the kid away. The UCF fans wanted a foul but the refs probably saw what led up to it. Meg isn’t taking any crap and I love it

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
she has got to be playing through an injury

What's your source for this information? KLS was getting pounded all over the court today. You try shooting when people are banging you around like you're a human pinata.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
At halftime, Geno called UCF “chippy,” and said that “their coach wants it that way.” That’s pretty sharp criticism when compared to standard coach speak. And it’s an accurate criticism as well.

Reaction Score
What's your source for this information? KLS was getting pounded all over the court today. You try shooting when people are banging you around like you're a human pinata.
didnt claim one. an observation. she is too good otherwise

Reaction Score
Lou seems to get more emotional about being pushed around than other UCONN players. I see her complain to the refs a lot more than other players. I wonder whether her reactions are a distraction and are causing her to miss shots. I thought Collier got fouled many times today, but she is more low key about it and she seems to somehow avoid fouls to the face more easily.

Reaction Score
As I said in the chat, I thought this type of game is good for UConn in terms of preparing for March. What stuck out was that the passing looked good, including out of double teams and across the court passes to swing the ball all around getting everyone to touch the ball.

Reaction Score

@tomcat I saw the same things with Coombs. She can't hit the side of a barn with a baseball stick. Yet, her defense was great, quick hands, and to top that no one--is going to trap her UCF tried hard thinking she was the Frosh and weakest link--she wasn't Her ball handing is great her shooting, will come but most likely over the summer. She today looked like the ONLY choice as a back up for Danger.
Terrible game, great game. 5 almost 6 in double figure, and 6 scoring well. This has to be a plus for Geno. The reserves need the addition of Touly to have any semblence of real fire power. If healthy she could be a wonderful addition/sub for one of the posts. I like Irwin too but Touly has an edge even with her limited mobility.

EDIT: I know Coombs is a Soph. Although it isn't always the most important thought as I write of her attributes.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@tomcat I saw the same things with Coombs. She can't hit the side of a barn with a baseball stick. Yet, her defense was great, quick hands, and to top that no one--is going to trap her UCF tried hard thinking she was the Frosh and weakest link--she wasn't Her ball handing is great her shooting, will come but most likely over the summer. She today looked like the ONLY choice as a back up for Danger.
Terrible game, great game. 5 almost 6 in double figure, and 6 scoring well. This has to be a plus for Geno. The reserves need the addition of Touly to have any semblence of real fire power. If healthy she could be a wonderful addition/sub for one of the posts. I like Irwin too but Touly has an edge even with her limited mobility.
Mikayla, like Meg, isn’t going to allow other teams to push her around. She showed a lot of attitude that I thought was fantastic. UCF kids were grabbing at her and she saw the refs allowing it so she grabbed right back with a lot of aggression. Kay Kay Wright was pretty wary of Mikayla. I was cheering for her big time today

Reaction Score
Post game threads are fine, encouraged in fact.
I was at the game. UCF does a lot of holding , slapping, and grabbing. Geno once said teams that do that assume that the refs won’t call all of the fouls and that’s certainly the case with UCF. The crowd was pretty unhappy with the overly physical play.
The next time UCF gets called for one of its moving screens will be the first time that I’ve seen

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it's kinda hard to make shots (I think at one point she was 0 for 5, all 3s and on at least 3 of them she was hit in the face with no assault charges being filed) when she was getting slapped around.

If Lou can't handle UCF's defense how is she going to handle the speed and contact in the WNBA? She needs to figure it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom