UConn vs So Carolina game thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

UConn vs So Carolina game thread

Reaction Score
... What was perhaps most disappointing to me was the lack of intensity on defense. This is perhaps the most lackadaisical defense we’ve had in 5 or so years.... I was borderline disgusted by our play on defense.
I can't help but think the incident with Missouri may have affected Dawns approach and USC's overall game.

Reaction Score
I can't help but think the incident with Missouri may have affected Dawns approach and USC's overall game.

I thought Missouri was the best defensive effort we'd had all season. This team has been borderline soft all season on the defensive end. It's not a team that particularly looks like they want it real bad.

Reaction Score
Huh. Really? I did not hear anything disrespectful (totally or even partially). And I don't think one could conclude from her answers that she gave no credit to UConn.

Look, these are college players. True, by the time a standout like Wilson reaches senior year she has a lot of experience in press conferences. But even among professionals, that forum is not one in which everyone shines. It is hard to come out after a loss -- esp. in a big game -- and answer questions as to why you lost. I thought she conducted herself respectfully. She tried to find things to spin positively (even if not entirely convincingly). She spoke positively of her coach and teammates. She acknowledged that UConn played well and was effective. And she provided the appearance of maturity, explaining that this is after all only one game, and the point now is to try to learn from it and move one. Good for her.
"Eh... it is not like anything I haven't seen already" "I want to apologize to my team because I did not play well today"

The reason you did not "Play Well" is because UCONN was amazing and make things hard for you. Give credit where credit is due.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Dawn did say that she lost some sleep over the incident, but mostly the ADs slanderous comments. If you know anything about Staley then you know that her reputation, the reputation of the women she coaches and her program’s reputation are VERY important to her. It probably did affect her, but she made it a point to not let that affect the team.

I think the team’s less than desirable approach to last night’s game had nothing to do with Missouri. They were just defeated by a far superior team.

Reaction Score
Beautiful game, as only UCONN can play it...

Gabby & Lou...the straws that stir the drink...unquantifiable...
Kia...deadly on both ends of the floor...
Pheesa...she's baaaaack...

Crystal...shin splints are a killer if you've suffered...on a tough shooting night she still lays down a defensive blanket, doesn't commit a turnover, or a foul...professional...

Azura...went out and mixed it up with the big girls...loved what I saw...should be ready for the Big Dance...

Reaction Score
Thanks for that info. I actually agree that WBB refs stink, last night a good example. In fact I probably think so, more than you. But I understand they are human. My comment on Dee rustled some feathers, and I understand that also. It is not like I have data and facts to back up my observation, and find it comical that somehow I boxed myself into defending Dee Kantner on fans message board. LOL.

Hey housekeys I don't think anyone dislikes WBB refs as much as I do as I'm screaming at the TV constantly or at the refs in the arena for most of the game!
They had a point of emphasis a year or so ago of no hand checking/hands off the ball handler, then the refs wouldn't make a call when one player ran another player over! How can a touch be a foul and over aggressive running over the opponent not be a foul!
The 2 calls that get me livid is the moving screens and charge/block. I count 15 to 20 uncalled moving screens per game and then with the game on the line, 4th quarter refs will call a moving screen and if the offensive player lowers her shoulder as she drives through the lane that's a charge! If she is NOT leading with her shoulder chances are it's a block depending on the arc!
And talking about Dee Kantnor, in approximately 84 potential days since the season started she worked 63 games, info per wbbstate.com! She's over 5o, this has to take it's toll on her body & mind with travel and all!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure someone has asked this already (I've not read this thread) but why did Dawn wait so long to call a timeout in the 2nd quarter? The game was put away in the 2nd quarter and Dawn used her first timeout when her team was down by 28 points.

The 2nd quarter began with UConn up 24-16. UConn then went on a 17-2 run while Dawn waited for the official timeout (deadball after 5:00) which didn't happen until there was only 4:09 left in the half and UConn up 41-18. She then called her first timeout with 1:51 left in the 2nd quarter with UConn up 51-23. I'm not sure the bleeding could have been stopped but something needed to be tried much earlier in the 2nd quarter.

Reaction Score
And talking about Dee Kantnor, in approximately 84 potential days since the season started she worked 63 games, info per wbbstate.com! She's over 5o, this has to take it's toll on her body & mind with travel and all!

If this truly is an issue then she should not be doing it. If she cannot ref the game to the best of her abilities... if she is too tired to do it right... she should not do it. That is like needing to go in for an operation and the doctor is too tired but does it anyways. While this is just a game and not surgery the same can be implied. If a doctor was too tired to do their best and something happened to a loved one I would not give that doctor a pass.... that is after all what you are suggesting we should do.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Yup. Dawn had her usual approach, attack and intimidate the refs in their favor and to protect her NPOY. Luckily, UConn was up to the challenge and overcame it.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I believe that she gets to choose the games that she is asked to referee, so...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm sure someone has asked this already (I've not read this thread) but why did Dawn wait so long to call a timeout in the 2nd quarter? The game was put away in the 2nd quarter and Dawn used her first timeout when her team was down by 28 points.

I think she sat there thinking: "If I call a time out what will I say that might make a difference?" But, yes, even as an attempt to "ice the kicker" she should have been up a lot earlier.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I’ll never understand this argument though because UConn didn’t beat last year’s team tonight. They beat a significantly less experienced/talented squad. Not even close to last year’s team in terms of talent level really...

I saw this game result coming from 100 Miles away... SC lost too much last year and had too many important players for this year’s team sitting on the bench. They just don’t have it. The rosters aren’t comparable.

Coming into the season I didn’t think the disparity was that bad but it’s glaringly obvious after tonight. SC is not at the point where they reload on talent.. this looks like a roster that needs rebuilding and Dawn needs to consider that when she schedules teams next year because it’s not going to get any easier once they lose A’ja. You want to schedule good teams of course, but I don’t think getting your brains bashed in by 25 points helps your team’s confidence (and I can’t imagine it helps recruiting when it happens primetime on National TV)... and tonight won’t be the last time it happens if she doesn’t allow her roster to “grow up” a little bit next year. Lol, it sounds weird to say, but she might need to take a page out of Mulkey’s book! :eek:

What a disappointing showing by the Gamecocks...
In looking at Dawn’s recruiting when I did the FF vs. Top 10 player rankings, it is obvious she needs to bring in higher level talent and not only recruit the “back yard”. Maybe the coach from Tenn will help as should her being the Olympic Coach. I firmly believe Dawn can actually coach and make the players and team better but part of coaching, if not the critical part is getting very good players. I was not as “down” on the result last night as you seem to be and think Mon is a huge opportunity for you as I do think A’ja will outplay Teira and Harris will out play William/Schaefer with the only question being who can contain Vivians. I know the game is on the road but still like your chances.

Reaction Score
Dawn's timeout really had to do with a body language that she saw from a couple of players on the defensive end in the 2nd qtr. She rarely takes a timeout because she usually wants them to play through their struggles. Aja, did have her second bad game of the week as she admitted, but prior to that comment she gave extreme credit to UConn' team, execution and talent. She knows it because she has played with most of the girls on UConn's team. I think Dawn had no idea of how they would play because of the youth of most of this team and the fact that the original starting lineup has not been together in weeks. The best shooter (Spann) is still sidelined, and Harrigan is not yet at full strength after just returning from injury. I do think the Mizzou thing bothered her personally because she seemed distracted this week leading up to the game. Nevertheless, it is a loss they will learn from and move on. Given what they lost last year, that could have returned, they are still in a positive direction moving forward. These young girls are getting more time than in year's past on Dawn's teams thus their development will proceed quicker and with the girls that return next year who are injured and cannot play, and the incoming talent, the future still points upwards. I would like to know any UConn fan that attended the game, to speak of the fan atmosphere and crowd, given the misrepresentation by the Mizzou AD earlier this week? I noticed that Geno had a different take on our crowd that the Mizzou AD.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Your statement reminds me of Geno talking about all of the offensive rebounds Tina Charles was getting back in the day. :D

Years ago, Geno accused Swin Cash of deliberately missing shots so she gather in the rebounds and pad her stats. Very much a typical kind of Geno kidding criticism.

Reaction Score
In looking at Dawn’s recruiting when I did the FF vs. Top 10 player rankings, it is obvious she needs to bring in higher level talent and not only recruit the “back yard”. Maybe the coach from Tenn will help as should her being the Olympic Coach. I firmly believe Dawn can actually coach and make the players and team better but part of coaching, if not the critical part is getting very good players. I was not as “down” on the result last night as you seem to be and think Mon is a huge opportunity for you as I do think A’ja will outplay Teira and Harris will out play William/Schaefer with the only question being who can contain Vivians. I know the game is on the road but still like your chances.

I'm looking forward to Miss State.

I do not think it is a bad matchup for South Carolina. My main concerns comes down to toughness and the reliability of Cliney and Bianca Jackson to make shots on the road against a good defensive team that should be really motivated to play very hard.

I think a South Carolina win is probably a close game in the 60s. A Miss State win could be the same, but they probably have more chance of winning by 15 or so. I don't think South Carolina can win going away.

I guess that means I favor Miss State to win. But I don't feel bad about it. I think you live with Morgan William and the forward (Bibby?) getting shots. I'll live with Schaefer taking long, rushed threes, but please no uncontested ones.

USC has had a really good sense of how to stymie their offense in the past, so hopefully that will continue.

Reaction Score
You have to force Wilson to her right, although that's easier said than done
A day later, wondering why Wilson seemed to lose her intensity. At beginning of game, seemed like she was impossible to stop. As game evolved, instead of imposing her will on UConn, seemed to let Gabby and KLS impose theirs.

Reaction Score
Wow... Aja is totally disrespectful. She gave little to no credit to UCONN... She is very arrogant
And her reaction when after answering the 1st 3 questions, a reporter asked Jackson a question... that was real bad... and what did she expect, SC sent their Star and a freshman to meet the press... who do they want to hear from??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would like to know any UConn fan that attended the game, to speak of the fan atmosphere and crowd, given the misrepresentation by the Mizzou AD earlier this week? I noticed that Geno had a different take on our crowd that the Mizzou AD.
In the presser, I saw the question and comments by Geno - he basically said the atmosphere was great. He also added that SC has great attendance and when you go to an "away" game like at SC, you have to expect that 18,000 screaming fans are not going to be on your side, and that it's going to be a "hostile" environment. He said he has no knowledge of what the fans did before, during, or after the game but he said he watched the entire game from his couch and enjoyed the atmosphere a lot (or something to that effect).

Reaction Score
Wow and now Lou misses a point blank lay up damn tough rim tonight
SC missed many 2' shoots as well. Wonder if someone tightened the rims prior to game. With UConn's 3's mostly clean, didn't matter early on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A day later, wondering why Wilson seemed to lose her intensity. At beginning of game, seemed like she was impossible to stop. As game evolved, instead of imposing her will on UConn, seemed to let Gabby and KLS impose theirs.
Agreed. There were several times in the first half when Wilson just stood there and did absolutely nothing, allowing the Huskies to get offensive boards or open shots. I don’t think she was tired. It appeared to me that she and some of her teammates had thrown in the towel.

They picked it up in 2nd half some, with Crystal & Gabby on the bench, but it was too late. The one Gamecock that appeared to play hard the whole game was Jackson, their freshman guard.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

The 2nd quarter began with UConn up 24-16. UConn then went on a 17-2 run while Dawn waited for the official timeout (deadball after 5:00) which didn't happen until there was only 4:09 left in the half and UConn up 41-18. She then called her first timeout with 1:51 left in the 2nd quarter with UConn up 51-23. I'm not sure the bleeding could have been stopped but something needed to be tried much earlier in the 2nd quarter.
People were wondering the same thing in the game thread. Dawn messed up, imo, and hung her team out to dry.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed. There were several times in the first half when Wilson just stood there and did absolutely nothing, allowing the Huskies to get offensive boards or open shots. I don’t think she was tired. It appeared to me that she and some of her teammates had thrown in the towel.

They picked it up in 2nd half some, with Crystal & Gabby on the bench, but it was too late. The one Gamecock that appeared to play hard the whole game was Jackson, their freshman guard.
The problem with playing against a Geno team is they not only reveal your shortcomings as a team, but your personal shortcomings as a player. Combine that with the pace of play UConn demands and it becomes disheartening. We've all seen it time and again, and we'll continue to see it. As for Jackson, surely she had a nice game. But since Geno had such a small sample size for her trust me, the next time they play the Master will prepare for Jackson a bit better. Perhaps next time we'll see how she deals with a box and one or a match up zone. Or perhaps we'll see how she deals with Geno's best defender. She's talented certainly, but she'll have to prove it again next time under tougher circumstances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to know any UConn fan that attended the game, to speak of the fan atmosphere and crowd, given the misrepresentation by the Mizzou AD earlier this week? I noticed that Geno had a different take on our crowd that the Mizzou AD.

I was at the game and I thought the fans and atmosphere was great. I couldn't believe how loud it was at times (mainly in the 1st quarter), the fans were really into it and positive. The entire time during, before and after the game everyone was very nice too. I'm really looking forward to going back next time we play there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The problem with playing against a Geno team is they not only reveal your shortcomings as a team, but your personal shortcomings as a player. Combine that with the pace of play UConn demands it becomes disheartening. We've all seen it time and again, and we'll continue to see it. As for Jackson, surely she had a nice game. But since Geno had such a small sample size for her trust me, the next time they play the Master will prepare for Jackson a bit better. Perhaps next time we'll see how she deals with a box and one or a match up zone. Or perhaps we'll see how she deals with Geno's best defender. She's talented certainly, but she'll have to prove it again next time under tougher circumstances.

As Chris Dailey often says, it's a lot easier to make shots when you're down 30 points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom