UConn vs So Carolina game thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn vs So Carolina game thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
or up 30 pts
Umm, beg to disagree as at that time, our subs/scrubs are in and they are too inconsistent and hesitant to pull the trigger. Did anyone notice that when Z is left in with the others, the subs look to her to score and when Z is out, they look to Meg to score? I was happy Coombs pulled the trigger last night on a few, just wished she hit the rim...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I thought the fans and atmosphere was great. I couldn't believe how loud it was at times (mainly in the 1st quarter), the fans were really into it and positive. The entire time during, before and after the game everyone was very nice too. I'm really looking forward to going back next time we play there.
One of the best fan bases in CBB.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Jackson is very skilled offensively and she “took what the defense gave her”.. which is what you’re supposed to do when a team doesn’t respect you offensively. She did her job. We would’ve had a much better game last night if SC had more guards capable of “taking what the defense gives you”... Harris and Wilson were smothered which meant Jackson and Cliney were open a lot. Jackson took advantage of that.

UConn isn’t going to give Jackson that much space in future matchups. You’d hope that someone else steps up and takes advantage.

For years SC has had far too many guards that can’t hit the backside of a barn WIDE OPEN.. Jackson isn’t one of those guards. She’ll burn you.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Jackson scored well because her defender was helping on Wilson
UConn's whole defensive philosophy to help down low, not just on Wilson. The reason is pretty simple-shooting percentages are higher in the paint than from 3 pt land. So it is like pick your poison and when other teams try that with us, Kia, KLS and for the most part Crystal Dangerfield knock down the 3. When they come out to cover us, Gabby and Napheesa eat them up inside. On defense, if the wing keeps a mindful eye on the post player and the corner shooter, they usually get there when the ball arrives, thus allowing the other weakside wing defender to guard the post on the backside. Most times it works, sometimes it doesn't. The shooter still has to be proficient and make the shot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As Chris Dailey often says, it's a lot easier to make shots when you're down 30 points.

We made it seem like the converse is also true. A lot harder to make shots when you are up 30! Was there a play in the second half where we didn't pass the ball 7 times? Did Geno direct that we slow the game down?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I’ll never understand this argument though because UConn didn’t beat last year’s team tonight. They beat a significantly less experienced/talented squad. Not even close to last year’s team in terms of talent level really...

I saw this game result coming from 100 Miles away... SC lost too much last year and had too many important players for this year’s team sitting on the bench. They just don’t have it. The rosters aren’t comparable.

Coming into the season I didn’t think the disparity was that bad but it’s glaringly obvious after tonight. SC is not at the point where they reload on talent.. this looks like a roster that needs rebuilding and Dawn needs to consider that when she schedules teams next year because it’s not going to get any easier once they lose A’ja. You want to schedule good teams of course, but I don’t think getting your brains bashed in by 25 points helps your team’s confidence (and I can’t imagine it helps recruiting when it happens primetime on National TV)... and tonight won’t be the last time it happens if she doesn’t allow her roster to “grow up” a little bit next year. Lol, it sounds weird to say, but she might need to take a page out of Mulkey’s book! :eek:

What a disappointing showing by the Gamecocks...
The Cocky Talk forum is full of comments of how good UConn is and that they were lucky that MIssSt pulled a "fluke" win because they could not have beaten last years team either. Very many nice comments about us and very critical of Dawn and A'ja shooting percentages

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Looked like it to me. Maybe Geno didn't want to pile on.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jackson is very skilled offensively and she “took what the defense gave her”.. which is what you’re supposed to do when a team doesn’t respect you offensively. She did her job. We would’ve had a much better game last night if SC had more guards capable of “taking what the defense gives you”... Harris and Wilson were smothered which meant Jackson and Cliney were open a lot. Jackson took advantage of that.

UConn isn’t going to give Jackson that much space in future matchups. You’d hope that someone else steps up and takes advantage.

For years SC has had far too many guards that can’t hit the backside of a barn WIDE OPEN.. Jackson isn’t one of those guards. She’ll burn you.
She might have the space. Geno most likely decided to slack off the freshman to guard A’ja. Good for the kid she was able to knock down those shots. When UConn and S.C. meet again, she might find herself open again. It’s s a valid strategy

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
"Eh... it is not like anything I haven't seen already" "I want to apologize to my team because I did not play well today"

The reason you did not "Play Well" is because UCONN was amazing and make things hard for you. Give credit where credit is due.
I have to agree with Connie. I thought Aja was quite respectful to UConn. Her quote above is what I would expect from a great player

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agreed. For all the hype that this was going to be a showdown it was a huge disappointment.
It reminded me of the UCONN , Duke game about three years ago when Duke was ranked number two and got blown out by the Huskies. The guy giving the score said "that was the number two team in the country"?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I wish I could hate UConn but I like everything about them.
They play beautiful basketball and are coached better than any other team. They're secure with the ball. Their passes are quick, crisp, and on the money. They shoot extremely well. They're athletic and fast. They play clean ball. They're mentally several moves ahead on every possession (offensive and defensive). And their uniforms are even cut better than everyone else's. They're just good.
I'm surprised more programs don't try to emulate them."

Anonymous :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not meant as an insult just easier to shoot when defender not tight in your face
No doubt. Next year, without Wilson in the post requiring extra attention, Jackson will have a UConn defender locked on her with a hand in her face.

Reaction Score
Oh good, we can talk about Trae Young now

I thought it was interesting to hear that Geno want's Crystal to be more like Trae Young. Uconn hasn't had a player who could run the offense and create offense since the great DT, I think Christyn could be that player next year.

Reaction Score
Geno likes to get on the bench players for not shooting more yet on his show he really called everyone out for being happy when Molly hit the 3 to get the score to 100 in a recent game. He thought taking that shot with 9 seconds left sent the wrong sportsmanship message, especially when the team erupted in excited frenzy. Apparently he CAN have it both ways :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Anyone notice when Dee was over by Geno she put her arm out almost like shewing him back.... Then on the other end she would run around Dawn. It was very noticible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. For all the hype that this was going to be a showdown it was a huge disappointment.
I remember several "Big Monday" games on ESPN, a few involving Duke and UConn, that turned into "Big Blowout" and "Big Disappointment." But, I'm not complaining. ;)

Reaction Score
I can't help but think the incident with Missouri may have affected Dawns approach and USC's overall game.
Didn’t read any earlier posts but was at the game and can say this. There was a loooootttt of trash talk moments after the championship game last year and how the gamecocks were going to pummel Uconn in SC. Right before the anthem geno and dawn had a very intimate moment which seemed supportive and mentoring. There is no bad blood here other than the fact she found his trophy laying around last year. Anyway. After the anthem USC aired there well deserved introduction video with the trophy and all that comes with it. You know what geno did don’t you. Yeah

He made all the UConn ladies stare st the Jumbotron and let it sink in a little, probably even said that’s what champions look like, or they’re just holding that for us until the new case is ready. After the tip it was over. Dawn froze. She should have called timeout when they went down 8 because it never got close again. She actually never called a timeout until the middle of the 3 rd wet once they were down 31. She was blown out of her white pant suit.

Reaction Score
Didn’t read any earlier posts but was at the game and can say this. There was a loooootttt of trash talk moments after the championship game last year and how the gamecocks were going to pummel Uconn in SC. Right before the anthem geno and dawn had a very intimate moment which seemed supportive and mentoring. There is no bad blood here other than the fact she found his trophy laying around last year. Anyway. After the anthem USC aired there well deserved introduction video with the trophy and all that comes with it. You know what geno did don’t you. Yeah

He made all the UConn ladies stare st the Jumbotron and let it sink in a little, probably even said that’s what champions look like, or they’re just holding that for us until the new case is ready. After the tip it was over. Dawn froze. She should have called timeout when they went down 8 because it never got close again. She actually never called a timeout until the middle of the 3 rd wet once they were down 31. She was blown out of her white pant suit.
This is a fact free post.

Reaction Score
The woman's ball is the same size as the FIBA international basketball for all to include the men's game. That is why the USA men's basketball team has to get used to it for International games.

Did not know that one!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom