UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. ND post game Thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recorded the game and watched it as soon as I got home. Pretty proud of myself for not logging onto twitter or espn, so I had no clue what happened.

Initial thoughts

-Obviously prayers up for Paige. Honestly, I'm kind of gutted for her. I'm pretty bummed tbh.

- Liv was really good all game, but especially in the first half. I thought the matchup with Dodson was going to be a tough one but she used her size and her strength to grab rebounds and score. I've always liked Liv. She averaged like 12 and 8 last year, which means even if he shed a handful of unproductive games, she has others which usually balances it out. I really only just worry about the fouls with her. But she really is a good defender, and her strength is inside.

- I like CW and EW but I was hoping for more production out of them. It felt like the zone really took CW out of an offensive flow. She did make a couple of nice passes, but overall I was hoping she'd be more effective offensively. EW also did not look great but I think foul trouble played a role in her lack of productivity.

NM- I been a fan. I just think she needs minutes. She's going to brick some shots, but overall she's typically going to have a positive impact on the team. I'm not sure if we saw her a lot in the second half, but in the first half her threes were huge. She did have some tough turnovers, but overall I liked the way she played.

AE and Dorka - Both players played hard... I think early in this season for both of them, the unforced turnovers really stick out. But I will say, they held Westbeild and Brunelle in check, and I was a bit worried about that because they both are really mobile and skilled. I'd like to see Dorka finish a little bit better.

Caroline - It was really good to see her thrive in her playing time. I think in the first half when she got in, she had a turnover on her first play. I thought it was going to be de ja vu. However, in the second half she made a ton of shots, particularly in the 4th quarter. I feel like she's super aggressive, and almost moving a bit too fast. Like as soon as she gets the ball she's ready to shoot or attack, which I really can't decide whether its a good thing or not. She had 9 shots in 14 minutes, CW had 8 shots in 33 minutes.

PB- She was great. She's going to become public enemy number one, like J.J Redick back in the day cuz of her intensity and getting so hyped but I love it. The fullcourt pass to CW at the end of the half was ridiculous. She also had some like push shots in the lane that kind of look easy but were so tough. She did have two turnovers to start the game, but overall just a classic Paige performance. Tbh, I was a bit worried with all the legends in the building and it being the first game at Gampel, that she may not be ready for the moment but she was super solid.

Overall I thought it was a good team win. They've sort've struggled all season turning small leads to big one's and they were able to in the 4th. They have a tough week coming up. I'll be at the game Saturday but even on the road vs GT, who had a big time win today, will be tough.

ooo just wanted to add one last note on ND. Citron is who I thought she was. May be the best freshman in the country. Miles is also who I thought she was, good, and will probably become great. Was disappointed in their bigs. However, sort of like the moral victory that our team could take from staying with SC for 3 quarters, for a young team on the road to basically hang with UConn for 3 quarters is impressive. I don't think they played all that well but they competed the whole game.

Reaction Score
Always a tough day for me because I am both a UCONN and ND fan. Very happy for the win, worried about Paige, and concerned about so many Husky turnovers.
I think ND has the potential to become pretty good. Don’t sleep on them.
All in all, great win.
Is that like liking both the Red Sucks and the Yankees? I cannot comprehend this...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Bleech. I've had 2 you-know-whats and when the doc wanted to do a Lachman test years after surgery after I landed on my kneecap, but I stiffened up so much in prep for the VERY icky feeling if something was wrong so it took him a bit to convince me to relax. All was good, but still, it's gross.
I hate those medical tests when the scale is how loud you scream. I've had mercifully few. I had to look up the Lachman test -- I think that exceeds anything I've had -- but have had both a knee and ankle prodded resulting in noises from me that I'm sure were heard in other parts of the building.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Notre Dame game:
  • National rivalry games are great for WBB. So it’s good to see ND build their program back after a couple down years. It makes it even better when you can celebrate a “W” over the Irish by slamming the door in the 4th qtr.
  • Nice to see some UConn Royalty at the game today. Sue and Megan looked great. Wondering if Sue might persuade Megan to change her hair color from violet to Husky blue? :rolleyes:
  • Liv played great today at both ends of the court with a double-double against a pretty tough Big in Dodson. That's exactly what UConn needs from Liv.
  • The TD pass just before the half had me doing my maximum vertical at approximately 14 centimeters. :cool:
  • Another solid defensive effort. UConn held ND to 30% shooting, the second game in a row for the Huskies.
  • Obviously, UConn needs a little work attacking a zone defense.
  • Wasn't it great to see Caroline knock down several shot, including her first 3's as a Husky? She made a giant stride today.
  • Clutching my chest when Dodson ran over Paige like a freight train, and then Dara Mabry's flying elbow into her face. In Mabry's case I guess it's just a family tradition.
  • The injury to Paige looked to me like a hyperextension. Praying for good news now, :(
  • One last thought. In the last day several thoughtful BY’ers posted comments lamenting the growing negativity on the BY. As a result, I’ve done some soul searching, as I hope all of us will do. I love everything about UConn WBB, and I feel strongly that the team and coaches deserve our support. As of today, I will strive to be guided by one single principle, “Would I post a similar thought about my own child?” If not, then I will be guided by the sage advice of Herm Edwards to “DON’T HIT SEND!” I urge everyone else on the BY to consider doing the same.

Reaction Score
Old dude
I’ve lost count of the posts I’ve read today but your post iin bold type
hit the the nail on the head. We are so privileged to follow the growth of the Uconn girls that sometimes we lose track of the fact that win or lose they are playing their hearts out and deserve our support

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Notre Dame game:
  • National rivalry games are great for WBB. So it’s good to see ND build their program back after a couple down years. It makes it even better when you can celebrate a “W” over the Irish by slamming the door in the 4th qtr.
  • Nice to see some UConn Royalty at the game today. Sue and Megan looked great. Wondering if Sue might persuade Megan to change her hair color from violet to Husky blue? :rolleyes:
  • Liv played great today at both ends of the court with a double-double against a pretty tough Big in Dodson. That's exactly what UConn needs from Liv.
  • The TD pass just before the half had me doing my maximum vertical at approximately 14 centimeters. :cool:
  • Another solid defensive effort. UConn held ND to 30% shooting, the second game in a row for the Huskies.
  • Obviously, UConn needs a little work attacking a zone defense.
  • Wasn't it great to see Caroline knock down several shot, including her first 3's as a Husky? She made a giant stride today.
  • Clutching my chest when Dodson ran over Paige like a freight train, and then Dara Mabry's flying elbow into her face. In Mabry's case I guess it's just a family tradition.
  • The injury to Paige looked to me like a hyperextension. Praying for good news now, :(
  • One last thought. In the last day several thoughtful BY’ers posted comments lamenting the growing negativity on the BY. As a result, I’ve done some soul searching, as I hope all of us will do. I love everything about UConn WBB, and I feel strongly that the team and coaches deserve our support. As of today, I will strive to be guided by one single principle, “Would I post a similar thought about my own child?” If not, then I will be guided by the sage advice of Herm Edwards to “DON’T HIT SEND!” I urge everyone else on the BY to consider doing the same.
Oldies, thank you for your post, especially the last paragraph. Have a good night.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope this game silences the "Olivia is SOFT!" crowd. They formed an impression of her when she was a freshman and have not adjusted it despite ample evidence (including today's game) that it no longer applies to her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So her 10 points don't count to register her presence? That is more than either of the Notre Dame bigs (Dodson and Westbeld) scored. And Aaliyah scored those points in just 22 minutes, while Dodson and Westbeld played 36 and 30 minutes respectively.

And having only 2 fouls in 22 minutes, despite foul trouble being an issue for her since she has been at UConn? Doesn't she get credit for that? Does she get any credit for the fact that Notre Dame's inside scoring was pretty insignificant?

The lack of rebounding by AE is disappointing, but the team rebounding for UConn was very good. I think you are looking for reasons to find fault with her. Remember, she had 7 rebounds, including 3 offensive rebounds, just 36 hours previously against Seton Hall.

By the way, you forgot to complain about Dorka's zero points today. You must be going soft.

Reaction Score
She didn’t hurt it going to the sidelines. She hurt it in the game that they were up by 18 points with 40 seconds to go in the game. Players don’t substitute themselves. Of course this is on Geno. Totally ridiculous to have Paige in there at that point.
I'm confused by this line of reasoning. First, let me state that I know next to nothing about knee injuries or their causes but from what I read here, injuries such as Paige suffered had nothing to do with her playing basketball. It was simply an injury that happened during a basketball game. I'm told such injuries can happen walking to class. It occurred simply because Paige was "active." What if Geno had said, "Gotta get her out," and she hurts the knee trotting to the sidelines? Would you have said, "What was Geno thinking? Kid suffers a "knee" cause that idiot pulled her. Shoulda left her in." Players on the sidelines can get pretty boisterous celebrating a great play by a sub. Injuries are suffered on and off the court, during games and during practice. What if Paige gets injured in the last minute of practice? Are you going to blame Geno? What was he doing having her still on the court? There was only a minute left. She should have been in the shower already. Wait a minute! Most home injuries occur in the bathroom. OK, no more showers! Oh, and no more going to class either. I know, lets bubble wrap Paige before the game.

sun

Reaction Score
I posted in the thread about Nika that putting her in as a sub would at least reduce wear & tear on other players.
If I can see that as a layperson, then why doesn't Geno see it and act to prevent it?
Even though he may be somewhat insensitive about protecting his star players, his negligence is only a secondary or contributing factor to Paige's injury.

Paige doesn't know how to take her foot off the gas when she's on the court.
Even though most folks don't want to say anything, it's pretty obvious.
In more than one game this season she was repeatedly falling /tripping all over the place.
Whether it's due to being overheated, or by going too fast and trying to do too much, she needs to slow herself down sometimes.
For some the game goes too fast, but for her the game goes too slow, and she needs to slow down a little bit.
It leads to mistakes like turnovers, errant passes and now an injury.
So she does need to accept the primary blame for her own injury.

But hopefully this dark cloud has a silver lining.
Maybe she'll learn to slow down a little, make less mistakes, and Geno and the team can make a more concerted effort to learn how to get along without her.
That's necessary because every player is only one play away from injury at any time and needing to be replaced.
Getting injured was bound to happen eventually.
I've been worried more than once when she's been bowled over and her head received a sharp crack when it hit the floor.
And I don't see the NCAA checking for concussions, maybe they do, maybe they don't, IDK.
The fans love watching Paige play so much, and the team needs her.
But it's Geno's job to coach her and let her know how she can reduce her own mistakes and how to avoid some of the risks of injury by slowing down at times.

I've seen reckless players get injured in both professional and amateur sports making great plays.
But they're often plays that weren't worth the extent of the injuries that resulted which can boil down to poor judgment.
I'm not saying that she's reckless.
However, accidental injuries tend to happen when people take unnecessary risks for little gain compared to their costs in bodily harm.
Even in this case, there could have been another player nearby to pass the ball to without Paige trying to make a sudden move.
Sure it was an accident.
She could have been pulled from the game but wasn't.
She didn't really need to make a sudden start.
She could have been a little more careful.
And I'm sure that some folks will take this post the wrong way because Paige is being criticized.
But this is one of her lessons to learn and not mine.
And Geno could also learn by being more protective & sensitive to the needs of his star players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Usually in a game like this he'll get most of them out, among other more important reasons, for the fans. But not all the starters as he frequently has other agendas.

In this case I think one: he knows the fans' standing ovation wouldn't have been any big a deal to Paige and two: he was using the late game partly as a reward and teaching opportunity for Ducharme and wanted her to have competent support rather than garbage time. Among my viewing group there was discussion about 3 minutes before the end as to why a battered Bueckers would still be in there, but on reflection I think these were possibly good reasons, and Geno is smarter about basketball than I am.
Geno is not God.
Geno is a human being.
Geno makes mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members