UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've said all year that the NCAA tournament is about matchups. Iona and Saint Mary's were locks for UConn, based on talent and style of play. Connecticut was better than Arkansas, but I was concerned that their style of play could draw you from what you do well, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Tomorrow, I wouldn't call it a lock for UConn, but it's pretty close. Gonzaga doesn't match up well, and the combo of Sanogo and Clingan will screw them up at both ends of the court. They had problems with UCLA's size and speed, and UConn has more of both. Had UCLA been fully healthy, they might've had a shot against you, but not Gonzaga.

I'll root for Xavier and Creighton tonight, and hope for 3 Big East teams in the Final Four. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I've said all year that the NCAA tournament is about matchups. Iona and Saint Mary's were locks for UConn, based on talent and style of play. Connecticut was better than Arkansas, but I was concerned that their style of play could draw you from what you do well, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Tomorrow, I wouldn't call it a lock for UConn, but it's pretty close. Gonzaga doesn't match up well, and the combo of Sanogo and Clingan will screw them up at both ends of the court. They had problems with UCLA's size and speed, and UConn has more of both. Had UCLA been fully healthy, they might've had a shot against you, but not Gonzaga.

I'll root for Xavier and Creighton tonight, and hope for 3 Big East teams in the Final Four. Good luck
I think we match up well, but Gonzaga can still fill it up. It's totally conceivable that we could have an off night from three and they could shoot well. But it's the elite eight, not many teams are going to get matchups they can roll through (except maybe KSU).

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s going to be easy by any stretch, but get 2-3 fouls on Timme and the Zags suddenly have a major problem. I’m assuming Few is going to go with double teaming or some kind of zone variation as a counter, for which we need to make them pay with threes or alley-opps to Jackson all night.
We are a tough matchup for any team, especially out of conference! Deep and who do you key on-Sanogo, Jordan, Jackson???

Reaction Score

I'll root for Xavier and Creighton tonight, and hope for 3 Big East teams in the Final Four. Good luck.
We play before them, if we win I will root for their opponents as we seem to just have mojo in the non conference... If we lose though I will root for both of them to win

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are capable of wearing them down plus our great defense will help.
Plus, if needed, Bill Murray can add a little mojo power boost during the game…
A3EC7785-91C6-40E2-9E98-8F5C77808578.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

70D40D95-37EF-405C-9CA9-A4553C0CE573.jpeg

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
100 is average. Higher is worse, lower is better. The stat isn't an exact science, but it's decent if you're comparing players on similarly ranked teams.

Generally I think of 90 as exceptionally elite defense. Anything 110 or worse is practically unplayable.
Do these sort of stats take in consideration the quality of opponent? Gonzaga had good OOC opponents that can't be denied...but the only good team in their conference outside of them is St. Mary's. Do they have the #1 offense because they feasted on less quality?

Reaction Score
Do these sort of stats take in consideration the quality of opponent? Gonzaga had good OOC opponents that can't be denied...but the only good team in their conference outside of them is St. Mary's. Do they have the #1 offense because they feasted on less quality?

This is how it's calculated. One of the big weaknesses of the measures (IMO, not much of a stats guy) is that it doesn't always account for bad vs good team. A player on Georgetown is going to have a worse defensive rating just because the entire team was poorly coached and it made even average defenders look bad.

Gonzaga and UConn have similar enough SOS and are well-coached teams, so I think comparing the stats is more likely to have good results.

@auror and others would probably know more than me. I'm making a lot of assumptions here.

Reaction Score
I'm concerned about the matchup b/c Timme is kind of a more skilled, quicker footed Kalbrenner who gave Sanogo fits earlier in their careers. Sanogo's strategy likely is to muscle Timme on both ends and that is what is needed to wear him down. So Adama much more likely to get in foul trouble as he'll contest everything and body up on both ends (much greater chance of offensive foul). I think Timme is too crafty and quick for Clingan UNLESS Adama has worn him down physically.

We may need a 3rd player to put a little more wear & tear, a body and give a few more fouls on Timme - is that Karaban or possibly even Andre? Someone off the bench!? I'd throw 15 fouls (3-4 minutes of Samson?!) at Timme given his free throw shooting, run all night and ensure he's exhausted by the final 8 minutes.

Reaction Score
I watched the Gonzaga/UCLA game last night and I have to say after watching the ferocious defense UConn and Arkansas played against each other I think either team would be overmatched by UConn. But at this point it isn't really about just plain ability and talent anymore. All the teams have it. It's matchups and execution now. UConn is a bad matchup for Gonzaga. If they execute, it's over 15 minutes in. If they don't UConn can end up in a high 80s to 90s track meet game. Gonzaga doesn't defend they just try to score more points than you.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Gonzaga can hit 3s, Arkansas isn't good at them. That makes a huge difference in how much harder UConn's defense will have to work.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has the “magic”. UConn is the freight train. It’s the unstoppable force VS the Immovable object. Sanogo VS Timme. Hurley VS Few. Hawkins VS Strawther. It should be our greatest challenge of the tournament.

One thing to monitor. Gonzaga has not had a good first half yet in this tournament. We know that outside of last night UConn has also struggled in the first 10 minutes. This game may come down to whoever comes out the gate faster. We have to jump on them defensively in the first 10 minutes. We can not afford to play catch up with these guys.

Prediction: I think we attack Timme and force him to guard. He starts out strong and wears down as the game goes along. I think we pull away gradually. Newton has a big game(20+).

1st Half: UConn 42 Gonzaga 37

End Result: UConn 84 Gonzaga 73

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has the “magic”. UConn is the freight train. It’s the unstoppable force VS the Immovable object. Sanogo VS Timme. Hurley VS Few. Hawkins VS Strawther. It should be our greatest challenge of the tournament.

One thing to monitor. Gonzaga has not had a good first half yet in this tournament. We know that outside of last night UConn has also struggled in the first 10 minutes. This game may come down to whoever comes out the gate faster. We have to jump on them defensively in the first 10 minutes. We can not afford to play catch up with these guys.

Prediction: I think we attack Timme and force him to guard. He starts out strong and wears down as the game goes along. I think we pull away gradually. Newton has a big game(20+).

1st Half: UConn 42 Gonzaga 37

End Result: UConn 84 Gonzaga 73
I can dig it. Hopefully you are correct. Gonzaga won't be easy. But then again the Elite 8 is not expected to be easy.

Reaction Score
Few is the master of adjustments. Dan needs to keep on his masterful rolland pull the right strings. West Coast teams play athletic, finesse BB. Gonzaga cannot bang with us for 40 minutes if we play our game. The biggest risk I see is they speed us up to the point where AJ and our guards start making dumb plays. Bear down, pound, hit the boards and break them.

Reaction Score
Few is the master of adjustments. Dan needs to keep on his masterful rolland pull the right strings. West Coast teams play athletic, finesse BB. Gonzaga cannot bang with us for 40 minutes if we play our game. The biggest risk I see is they speed us up to the point where AJ and our guards start making dumb plays. Bear down, pound, hit the boards and break them.
Attack Timme. Attack, attack, attack the basket. Newton off of pick and rolls, Jordan off of screens, and feed Adama/Clingan. We will encounter ZERO resistance. They will start over helping, and in the second half we bomb them from kick out threes back to Washington

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think the real key is Jackson shutting down Strawther. We know Timmie is getting his, he’s a bucket. If Jackson can throw the house at stopping Strawther and everyone else does their job, we can limit them well enough defensively.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Gonzaga can hit 3s, Arkansas isn't good at them. That makes a huge difference in how much harder UConn's defense will have to work.
Absolutely and why the track meet type game could happen. That wouldn't favor UConn most likely. Although it seems like they can play any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom