UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Gonzaga for a Final 4 Berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

This is how it's calculated. One of the big weaknesses of the measures (IMO, not much of a stats guy) is that it doesn't always account for bad vs good team. A player on Georgetown is going to have a worse defensive rating just because the entire team was poorly coached and it made even average defenders look bad.

Gonzaga and UConn have similar enough SOS and are well-coached teams, so I think comparing the stats is more likely to have good results.

@auror and others would probably know more than me. I'm making a lot of assumptions here.
Yeah on/off are best for this kind of thing, because even if it's bad, you can see how much worse it is with someone else instead. And also just individual box score stats like steal rate and rebound rate. Different tools for different jobs.

If you want to adjust for opponent, something like D-RAPM (essentially an adjusted for others on your team and opponent plus minus) is probably our best bet at the college level.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Pitino was the best coach we’ve face this year but he didn’t have the talent to match. Few is the best coach that we’ve faced where the talent matches. I think we can win but it’ll be a battle. Especially limiting turnovers and staying out of foul trouble. Doesn’t seem like they care for defense, kind of like UNC of years past. Hopefully we can get out in transition and run them into the ground like we did Arkansas

Reaction Score
TCU could have beaten Gonzaga if they didn't run out of frontcourt players, due to the foul trouble. They were forced to play small and it cost them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is already a long thread, I didn't read it all, so this might have been mentioned: while Adama got called for a travel down low last night, Timme was getting away with this kind of stuff:

Sanogo usually doesn't travel, but that was a good call.

OTOH, the refs were loose with their definition of a travel call. Newton changed his pivot foot three times on the game's very 1st possession that went uncalled. Ball don't lie however, as he threw it out of bounds.

The refs missed one for Arkansas not long after, IIRC, before everything settled down.

Reaction Score
Interesting statistic from a Zags board:

UConn is 1-4 against teams with a top 10 offensive rating (KenPom).
Gonzaga is #1.

This might indicate that UConn's defense tends to break down against elite level offense, and Gonzaga is the best there is.

Reaction Score
This is already a long thread, I didn't read it all, so this might have been mentioned: while Adama got called for a travel down low last night, Timme was getting away with this kind of stuff:

heh I watched that live, remember the play, and didn't notice he picked up his foot.

Reaction Score
Adama will eat Timmie for lunch on O, but Timmie will do his own damage in return. His feet and moves are just amazingly efficient. But, Timmie won’t be able to handle Adama and DC going at him for 40. He was worn down by the end of tonight’s game. All that said, Gonzaga is a team that has resilience and fights through so there can be zero foot off the pedal.
Your area correct Timme is a tough assignment for Sanogo to guard .
He will get his points . Shut down everyone else and don’t get unnecessary fouls because we need you on offense. Timme will have his own problem defensively.
I think UCLA was doing that before they ran out of gas . They were a little short handed which didn’t help .

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
heh I watched that live, remember the play, and didn't notice he picked up his foot.
There was a play in the 2nd half where it looked like he ran across the lane and scored. Looked like a travel to an old schooler like me, but with today’s version of traveling who knows.

He is going to be an issue.

Reaction Score
Nice preview on Gonzaga's SB Nation site:

Gonzaga-UConn preview

They know this will be a battle.
"Newton, the senior point guard, has actually been one of the few not shining oh-so-brightly spots for the Huskies this tournament, particularly his last two games in which he finished with four turnovers a piece."

Some bulletin board material for Newton.
It's nice when your "not shining" guard is also 5 for his last 7 threes in the tourney. I thought his first half threes against St. Mary's were crucial when Hawk was struggling as bit.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Posters who don't like when UConn utilizes the high hedge to defend the pick & roll/pop, are looking at a heavy dose for this game.

Gonzaga's offense IS pick & roll, and unlike Arkansas, they have the horses (plural) on the outside to make you pay. Every one of their guards, as well as a couple forwards, with significant minutes can hit from range. At 38%, pretty much everyone on the team, save for Drew Timme and Hunter Sallis can hit from distance. Malachi Smith (49.4%) and Julian Strawther (42.1%) are particularly lethal.

UConn will have to bring their defensive A+ game tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
So it’s all different now obviously, but from a universal karma point of view I would’ve preferred ucla.

Ucla in elite 8 is revenge tour stuff from 95. We are awesome on revenge tour.

Gonzaga is the flip side, in 99 Gonzaga was an upstart playing great ball, and we had been knocking on door for almost a decade. We took them out ( like a trip to dentist) for our first FF and NC

2023 Gonzaga has been knocking on door for a decade and now upstart us ( we aren’t a upstart historically but last 7 years were bad and we are just newly “ back”) is playing as the other side of that equation.

We will beat them anyway.
Nah. We were yet to make the final four in 1990. They've already been twice in the last 6 years. If either team is due, it is UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom