UConn VS Duke Analysis, Anyone? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn VS Duke Analysis, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stat from David Naples that is interesting:

Two interesting points to make. First, Duke has scored 2,212 points this season in 32 games. UConn scored 3,053 points in 34 games.Second, Duke makes 45.9% of all their shots from the field and 69% of their free throws. UConn makes 53.5% and 77.5%.

800 point difference in points scored even though UConn only played two more games then Duke.

I decided to check points allowed.

Points Allowed UConn has allowed 28 fewer points despite playing two more games. Probably some consideration should be made that Duke plays in the ACC while UCOnn plays in the AAC. Some is offset that UConn played a tougher Out of Conference Schedule.

SCORE BY PERIODS: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Total
------------------------------ ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Duke Opponents ..................... 446 418 447 456 20 - 1787
UConn Opponents..................... 404 398 452 505 - 1759

Reaction Score
For some reason, I am worried about this game. Our kids lost in last year’s tourney to a team that never should have been with ten points of the Huskies.
Instead of that making it more likely they will lose to a team that should have never have beaten them, it makes it much less so!
They are taking nothing for granted this year. In the few instances they've had some real competition this season, they showed their mettle.
I surely would save your worrying for maybe the FF as they wont lose to SC either.
And by that, I also don't expect them to lose at all and doubt anyone will come within single digits.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Stat from David Naples that is interesting:

Two interesting points to make. First, Duke has scored 2,212 points this season in 32 games. UConn scored 3,053 points in 34 games.Second, Duke makes 45.9% of all their shots from the field and 69% of their free throws. UConn makes 53.5% and 77.5%.

800 point difference in points scored even though UConn only played two more games then Duke.

I decided to check points allowed.

Points Allowed UConn has allowed 28 fewer points despite playing two more games. Probably some consideration should be made that Duke plays in the ACC while UCOnn plays in the AAC. Some is offset that UConn played a tougher Out of Conference Schedule.

SCORE BY PERIODS: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Total
------------------------------ ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Duke Opponents ...... 446 418 447 456 20 - 1787
UConn Opponents...... 404 398 452 505 - 1759

Stats show that the margin may be large. The difference in stats that measure efficiency is pretty persuasive.
This season, Duke ranks #19 in Margin-of-Victory-Per-Possession, winning by 20 points per 100 possessions.

On the other hand, UConn ranks #1 in Margin-of-Victory-Per- Possession, winning by 51 points per 100 possessions. 

It will be the Husky defense that wins the game. Across Division I, UConn ranks #1 in Defensive Efficiency, allowing 72 points per 100 possessions. 

Take a look at the attached stats. Source: Her Hoop Stats

Attachments

• Her Hoop Stats -- UConn-Duke - pdf.pdf
    239.9 KB · Views: 88

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'm in. I'll bring the whiskey, you bring the portable defibrillator. :rolleyes:
If any of you zealots had seen me dance, you would not be so anxious to issue an open invitation. I suggest you have tryouts before bringing in the film crew! :D

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Instead of that making it more likely they will lose to a team that should have never have beaten them, it makes it much less so!
They are taking nothing for granted this year. In the few instances they've had some real competition this season, they showed their mettle.
I surely would save your worrying for maybe the FF as they wont lose to SC either.
And by that, I also don't expect them to lose at all and doubt anyone will come within single digits.
Bronx23

Thanks, Bronx, I (obviously) needed that. ;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
If any of you zealots had seen me dance, you would not be so anxious to issue an open invitation. I suggest you have tryouts before bringing in the film crew! :D

That's what the whiskey is for. Everybody thinks they're a great dancer after 4 or 5, or more. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looking at the numbers more closely, there’s one aspect of Duke’s performance that should terrify JPM, and that’s turnovers. Duke committed 21 TO’s vs GA, and while the Bulldogs did a poor job of converting those TO’s into points, if the Blue Devils give the Huskies a bunch of extra possessions, they’ll get blown out.

Looking a little deeper, Duke has been TO prone the entire season. Their A/TO ratio is below 1.0. So be prepared for one of those patented UConn runs that puts the game away early.

Reaction Score
Even if you dance like Elaine on Seinfeld, it would be similar to what we've seen in some of the celebration videos from other teams through the tournament.

Since I believe I got this branch of this thread going, I'll offer an answer to my question... Teams who have "not been there, done that" are more likely to celebrate each small step along the way. UConn does not cut down the nets until the NC... clearly stating that the intermediate levels are just steps to the most important accomplishment.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
"Five questions breaking down Connecticut's women's basketball dominance" - The Chronicle (Duke's student paper)

1. Will the pace of the game help or hurt Duke?
2. Can the Blue Devils overcome UConn’s strength in the paint?
3. How will the Huskies attack the Blue Devils on offense?
4. Which team's lack of depth will have more of an impact?
5. Can the Blue Devils shoot over the Huskies enough to win the game from the perimeter?

Click on the link below for the analysis.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/five-questions-breaking-down-connecticuts-womens-basketball-dominance

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That's what the whiskey is for. Everybody thinks they're a great dancer after 4 or 5, or more. :D
I love good whiskey, and after four or five I might think I can dance, but there isn't enough whiskey in Connecticut for you to think I can! But perhaps you just would not care. Go Huskies! :D

Reaction Score
"Five questions breaking down Connecticut's women's basketball dominance" - The Chronicle (Duke's student paper)

1. Will the pace of the game help or hurt Duke?
2. Can the Blue Devils overcome UConn’s strength in the paint?
3. How will the Huskies attack the Blue Devils on offense?
4. Which team's lack of depth will have more of an impact?
5. Can the Blue Devils shoot over the Huskies enough to win the game from the perimeter?

Click on the link below for the analysis.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/five-questions-breaking-down-connecticuts-womens-basketball-dominance
I continue to be astonished by anyone talking about UConn's lack of depth. NOONE, and I mean NOONE is going past 7 players from here on out. I'll ride with UConn's seven of Dangerfield, Nurse, Williams, Collier, KLS, Stevens, and Walker over anybody else's 7, all the way to the NC !

Reaction Score
Looking at the numbers more closely, there’s one aspect of Duke’s performance that should terrify JPM, and that’s turnovers. Duke committed 21 TO’s vs GA, and while the Bulldogs did a poor job of converting those TO’s into points, if the Blue Devils give the Huskies a bunch of extra possessions, they’ll get blown out.

Looking a little deeper, Duke has been TO prone the entire season. Their A/TO ratio is below 1.0. So be prepared for one of those patented UConn runs that puts the game away early.
Layups, layups, and more layups !

Reaction Score
Great 1st quarter. Never seen Duke look this good outside of missed layups. Good game so far

Reaction Score
UConn is missing a lot of makeable shots and threes. This game can already be a blowout Duke is lucky

Reaction Score
That didn’t last long. Duke is toast. Play by play guy summed it up. Lexie Brown and Greenwell using up
too much energy just to get decent looks. 30-16. It’s over.

Reaction Score
UConn is missing a lot of makeable shots and threes. This game can already be a blowout Duke is lucky
For some reason I don’t see Kia Nurse getting uncontested set shot 3’s in WNBA like she does as a Husky. Still, give credit to her for making them normally

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please use the chat room for the game thread

Reaction Score
I continue to be astonished by anyone talking about UConn's lack of depth. NOONE, and I mean NOONE is going past 7 players from here on out. I'll ride with UConn's seven of Dangerfield, Nurse, Williams, Collier, KLS, Stevens, and Walker over anybody else's 7, all the way to the NC !
To my surprise Buffalo uses 9-10. Highly unusual. Congrats to the Bulls for a gallant effort today and entertaining run. WBB rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom