UConn VS Duke Analysis, Anyone? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn VS Duke Analysis, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife and I went to a restaurant yesterday. The Duke grad waiting at our table pointed at the TV screen where the Georgia game was winding up and said, "We are serving notice today.".
That's what a $1/4M education will get you.
(Just joking: absolutely nothing wrong with that work and it may be on the way to medical school or something. But Duke likes to tout its supposed academic superiority.)

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I did not try to belittle NC State but only point out the offensive limitations of duke. 45 pts is a poor number against any defense.
State is a fun team to watch after you see coach P version of a offense. We will be hard pressed
to score 40 points Saturday. By the way State recruiting is improving and there coach is very
good should be a solid top 20 next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coach P as she is so affectionately known (naw, not so much) lives and dies with the zone and will hope to rattle our 3 sharp shooters. Geno's recent admonition - essentially stop whining and try harder - tells you something about their warm and fuzzy relationship. P's point of view (maybe not really) here. Duke beats cold-shooting Georgia, to face UConn in regional
Duke's zone was largely effective vs GA because the Bulldogs are a very average 3pt shooting team, making 151-3's this season, while shooting less than 30%. UConn, on the other hand, has made 273-3's this season, while shooting almost 40%. UConn will run their offense through Gabby at the high post who will either shoot, drive to the basket, feed Pheesa or Z down low or kick it out to Lou, Kia or Crystal for a catch and shoot 3. Too many options for Duke to defend.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm too exhausted from the first 2 games to think intelligently about the next one. 538 says Duke has a 2% shot of advancing over UConn. Massey says 4% in a 75-55 most likely game. Massey has been off as much as on this year, but anything can happen in the NCAAs. With USC the likely opponent if UConn beats Duke Geno will want to conserve gas, but still has the short bench issue- though I think that bench has gotten longer.
USC. This SoCal resident still thinks Trojans, not Gamecocks, when he reads that. :) Thankfully, Huskies stir images of UConn, not Washington, in this decaying brain.

Reaction Score
Coach P as she is so affectionately known (naw, not so much) lives and dies with the zone and will hope to rattle our 3 sharp shooters. Geno's recent admonition - essentially stop whining and try harder - tells you something about their warm and fuzzy relationship. P's point of view (maybe not really) here. Duke beats cold-shooting Georgia, to face UConn in regional
I'm confused I thought zone defense was vulnerable to the 3 point shooter. Zone shuts down the inside game. Of course if the team misses all those three's then you can get away with a zone.

"They live and die by their zone defense, and today they lived by it," said Georgia guard Haley Clark.

The Lady Bulldogs missed their first 13 3-pointers before Simone Costa sank a 3 midway through the final period.

"We had a game plan and we really stuck to it," said Duke guard Rebecca Greenwell, who had 11 points. "We wanted to keep the paint tight. We knew that was their tendency."

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
USC. This SoCal resident still thinks Trojans, not Gamecocks, when he reads that. :) Thankfully, Huskies stir images of UConn, not Washington, in this decaying brain.

Me too on the USC thing, but I surrendered a couple of years ago to save the dreary Gamecock defense of their claim to it. Both can have it but it does give pause. They remind me of the Xerox legal team with their zealous copyright prosecution record making.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For some reason, I am worried about this game. Our kids lost in last year’s tourney to a team that never should have been with ten points of the Huskies.

Don't be. UConn has 1 more "tune-up" game. The tournament begins in earnest with Monday's game, The great 8. That's were the rubber meets the road. As you know, that's the game teams get their ticket punched to the final four. Geno has said many times, that is the hardest game of the tournament to win.

All of the at large teams, bubble teams, and lower seeded teams should be gone. Only the cream of the crop, and a dark horse or two will be left. Geno and staff will have them focused and ready to play. They have some unfinished business they need to take care of. Duke finished 24-8. Four of those losses were to unranked teams. Should UConn get by Duke, they play the winner of South Carolina/Buffalo Monday night. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm confused I thought zone defense was vulnerable to the 3 point shooter. Zone shuts down the inside game. Of course if the team misses all those three's then you can get away with a zone.

"They live and die by their zone defense, and today they lived by it," said Georgia guard Haley Clark.

The Lady Bulldogs missed their first 13 3-pointers before Simone Costa sank a 3 midway through the final period.

"We had a game plan and we really stuck to it," said Duke guard Rebecca Greenwell, who had 11 points. "We wanted to keep the paint tight. We knew that was their tendency."

It's a spread zone, which makes them very vulnerable to a charge of our light brigade. I can't explain it, only report it. We have a history of ripping the Dookie team apart under P but apparently like St. Francis they only have one way to play.

Thank God we aren't Bulletin Board Material. :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know something, I think Odom was a teammate of Lou's for one year at Mater Dei. Unless it is a different Odom.

You are correct, she's that same Leoanna Odom. Odom began her high school career at Los Alamitos, averaging 14.3 points and 8.8 rebounds. Then, Odom transferred to Mater Dei the following season and saw limited action for a team that got pummeled by Windward in the CIF-Southern Section Open Division final and by Long Beach Poly in the Regionals.

Odom decided to transfer again, this time to join her friend Valerie Higgins and transfer to Chaminade.
Two All-American talents on one court. Valerie Higgins committed to USC, then transferred to Pacific (Stockton, CA) after her freshman year. I saw them both play twice during their time at Chaminade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Me too on the USC thing, but I surrendered a couple of years ago to save the dreary Gamecock defense of their claim to it. Both can have it but it does give pause. They remind me of the Xerox legal team with their zealous copyright prosecution record making.
Next thing you know, Rocky, someone is going to suggest that MSU stands for a school other than Michigan State.

Reaction Score
Prediction: Z has a double double. Gabby dunks on someone. Kia holds everyone scoreless. Lou goes 11-11 from 3 this time. Crystal makes at least 1 person fall & Pheesa puts us to sleep with another 20pt game. Oh & of course it will all be bad for women's basketball in the end.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Prediction: Z has a double double. Gabby dunks on someone. Kia holds everyone scoreless. Lou goes 11-11 from 3 this time. Crystal makes at least 1 person fall & Pheesa puts us to sleep with another 20pt game. Oh & of course it will all be bad for women's basketball in the end.
A very reasonable and unbiased analysis except you didn't mention Megan's double-double.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That's what a $1/4M education will get you.
(Just joking: absolutely nothing wrong with that work and it may be on the way to medical school or something. But Duke likes to tout its supposed academic superiority.)
I think he was pulling our collective "leg". Turning the tables, so to speak, on a previously expressed dig at the relative merits of an education at Duke vs an education at UConn. There is probably enough history there to call it a meme on the Boneyard. Gotcha! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Maybe 30. Time for Geno to set the intimidation stage, even with starters sitting some of the 4thQ

Reaction Score
I'm confident this will not be going on after their next game is over

Kinda funny we never see videos of Locker Room Dances (such as this at Duke), or jumping on tables in their team lounge like a team out west, or other locker room celebrations when UConn moves on to the next round....It's just high fives, thank the fans for their support and looking forward. Maybe that's because "there is still work to do"... no sense celebrating a lesser accomplishment when there is still something bigger that our Players want to achieve.

Reaction Score
A very reasonable and unbiased analysis except you didn't mention Megan's double-double.
Relatively unbiased. He could (should have) have predicted a triple double for Megan.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
After watching Duke play Georgia, I believe that the game will be over by half time. They have NO ONE that can stop our first five, let alone Z. All they play is zone, which UConn has three of the top 20 3pt shooters in the nation. They will put an end to that zone in no time. Then after they change to go to man to man, the ball will go down low to the big 3. I haven't even discussed Duke having to play against the Husky defense, which is rated one of the top in the nation.

Reaction Score
UConn by 30+
I have UCONN by 20-30 over Duke in a stress-free game. UCONN by 10-20 over SC. Really worried about the ND game. They can keep up with us in terms of scoring & they play an "attacking"game which could lead to foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Kinda funny we never see videos of Locker Room Dances, or jumping on tables

I think we should organize a Boneyard old-timers celebration video with us dancing in the locker room and jumping on tables and send it to the kids when they win 12!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom