UConn v. University of Rhode Island Rams (Friday 3/26 @3p & Saturday 3/27 Doubleheader starting @1p @ Elliot Ballpark). Updated Times! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn v. University of Rhode Island Rams (Friday 3/26 @3p & Saturday 3/27 Doubleheader starting @1p @ Elliot Ballpark). Updated Times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad we have the lead but the lack of clutch hits is frustrating! I thought we were coming out of this funk- maybe Elliot Field doesn't feel like home yet!

I think it’s starting feel a bit more homey now...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 9th, Wurster gives up a walk and a hit by pitch to the first two URI batters. With one out, he hits another batter to load the bases, putting the tying run at the plate. A two out single brings in a run to make it 9-6. That's the final score, UConn wins!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 9th, Wurster gives up a walk and a hit by pitch to the first two URI batters. With one out, he hits another batter to load the bases, putting the tying run at the plate. A two out single brings in a run to make it 9-6.
My bad... I walked away from my seat to start supper. I could see the TV but not good enough. I’m back.

Reaction Score
My bad... I walked away from my seat to start supper. I could see the TV but not good enough. I’m back.

Sounds like something I would do with the dog sometimes. Tomorrow is going to be a split attention day with women's basketball starting at the same time as baseball. Don't know how much posting I'll be doing on that one.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid they are over pitching Wurster. Still begs the question why we have not seen 2 past quality relievers in Lucas and Mayock and no mention of them that I have heard?

Reaction Score
Penders said Peterson earned the chance to get the ball to start game one tomorrow. Simeone goes second game.

I would expect that Pat Winkel will catch one game and D.H. the other. I don't expect that Wurster will be available tomorrow, so I'm wondering if Reggie Crawford will be at D.H. in one of the games as well, as that would make it a bit easier for him come out of the bullpen if needed. If that happens, then Chris Winkel gets a shot at starting at 1B after impressing the coaches with his homer today.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid they are over pitching Wurster. Still begs the question why we have not seen 2 past quality relievers in Lucas and Mayock and no mention of them that I have heard?

I recall in preseason interviews that it was said that Will Lucas was trained as a starter at the beginning of the season. I would imagine if that is still the case, Will Lucas might get a midweek start once Big East Conference play begins and Pat Gallagher becomes the fourth weekend starter (Jimmy Wang could get a shot at starting as well). I thought Will Lucas did well in the truncated season last year, but it would seem to be obvious that Mayock and Lucas are not in the top part of the UConn pitching totem pole with the coaches. Once conference play begins, and with a midweek game to consider, there will be more opportunities fo the lesser used pitchers to get into games. It would also help if UConn played in some games where they end up with good sized lead which would then give chances to guys like Lucas and Mayock to pitch in a game where things aren't on the line, and hopefully gain the confidence of coaches to use them again.

Reaction Score
As Ernie Banks said, let’s play 2! Beautiful day for some baseball! Wish we could all be there but rules are rules I guess. Hoping for a big start out of Simeone today in the first game

Reaction Score
As Ernie Banks said, let’s play 2! Beautiful day for some baseball! Wish we could all be there but rules are rules I guess. Hoping for a big start out of Simeone today in the first game

Peterson is starting game one... Simeone likely to get ball game two.

Reaction Score

Coach Penders has always moved his best starting pitchers to earlier in the starting rotation, and it is now happening with Austin Peterson, basically moving him in the rotation before Joe Simeone. I think ther is another thing going on as far as the doubleheader today. Austin Peterson is capable of going deep into a game. The more innings that Peterson is able to eat up today, it will probably have an effect on how far the coaching staff is willing to go with Joe Simeone in the second game. The longer Peterson is able to go today, the shorter the leash is likely to be on Simeone should he start experiencing the difficulties that have plagued a goodly number of his starts. The coaching staff will have a good idea of how much trusted bullpen they have left before Simeone's turn to go.

Reaction Score

So much for my oddball Reggie Crawford at D.H. theory in one of the games today. Chris Winkel gets a shot at starting after his homer yesterday, and Andy Hague gets another shot despite not having the best of games yesterday.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones says Kevin Ferrer has a shoulder injury that will prevent him from playing the field today.

Reaction Score
So much for my oddball Reggie Crawford at D.H. theory in one of the games today. Chris Winkel gets a shot at starting after his homer yesterday, and Andy Hague gets another shot despite not having the best of games yesterday.

The flip side of C Wink and Hague — how to you move Ferrer out of the lineup the way he has been hitting? (Although it’s doubleheader day, so a lot of folks may get a chance in one but not both games.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom