UConn v Louisville Game Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

UConn v Louisville Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
CD not sounding happy at all. Said LV played extremely physical ala Georgetown knowing the refs can't call a foul every trip. Thought the kids quit running their sets and settled for quick shots because LV was knocking them off their cuts and screens. Same team that got up 20 in the 1st half stopped running their offense in the 2nd half because LV got even more physical & then they got into foul trouble. Uconn didn't answer the challenge.

Happy to get out of Dodge.

Reaction Score
Geno with a kind handshake and soft pat on the head for Walz. No outward ill will there.
I didn't understand that at all. If they meet in the BE tourney they "have" to come out with fire in their eyes...if they don't, other teams will see that the only way to have a chance against Uconn is to bully them. And, as we saw tonight, it almost worked.

Reaction Score
Looked like Stefanie wanted to do a little punching at one point. I'm glad Debbie Antonelli criticized the incredibly rough play. As I said after the ND game, it looked more like a boxing match than a basketball game and Geno felt the need to say something about it at half time. But although the Huskies came out ahead, this style of play by their opponents definitely shakes them up.
I think this game actually will put some fire into Dolson.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He noted the other night on the Geno Show that it has been a long time since he got a T or really went off on the officials.
He's the Olympic coach. He has behaved with great decorum since being named head coach of the National Team. I don't know if it's expected of him or something he took upon himself.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
CD not sounding happy at all. Said LV played extremely physical ala Georgetown knowing the refs can't call a foul every trip. Thought the kids quit running their sets and settled for quick shots because LV was knocking them off their cuts and screens. Same team that got up 20 in the 1st half stopped running their offense in the 2nd half because LV got even more physical & then they got into foul trouble. Uconn didn't answer the challenge.

Happy to get out of Dodge.
I'll be rewatching the 12:30AM tape in the morning because I saw more to be happy with than CD. The kids never stopped moving. If they had specific offensive goals they weren't executing like entry to Stef in certain locations then that may be but I felt they took the ball into the clock and took decent shots although couldn't buy a basket other than Caroline. We were sloppy with the ball and did not take care of the rock but a couple of calls from the officials could have helped that.

Reaction Score
don't get kiah only playing 12 minutes. she was very effective while in there( 6 rebounds), as she has been lately. stef was excited and a bit out of control( 6 turnovers), perhaps from getting whacked. kiah has shown that she can play, and has earned the floor time. and stef could have used some cool-down time. i don't get it. perhaps geno was excited and a bit out of control ,too. thank heavens for caroline.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Remember one thing. Waltz was the asst coach in charge of recruiting under Brenda when UConn lost Coleman Langhorne Doran and Laura Harper. They all went to Maryland when Maryland was unknown.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He's the Olympic coach. He has behaved with great decorum since being named head coach of the National Team. I don't know if it's expected of him or something he took upon himself.
I agree, Nan, I think that is exactly what has happened ever since he was the president of the WBCA and now Olympic coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
don't get kiah only playing 12 minutes. she was very effective while in there( 6 rebounds), as she has been lately. stef was excited and a bit out of control( 6 turnovers), perhaps from getting whacked. still, good time to get her off the floor. perhaps geno was excited and a bit out of control ,too. thank heavens for caroline.
Most of Stef's TOs were from being abused in the post. Numerous calls went silent.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think you're right Nan but on the other hand if an official gets his or her head handed to them by the National Team Coach I would think they'd back off real fast. His first responsibility is to protect his players and cover their backs.

Reaction Score
Stef's got the frame to carry a lot more muscle. A lot. Weight room, all summer, perhaps? Simply can't have a big center routinely being outmuscled for the ball by the other team's guards.

Geno needs to include enforcers on the list of those roles being recruited for.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Rich Elliot tweet during the game...

elliottctpost Rich Elliott

It's almost time to take this game to the parking lot. Bodies flying all around. Lots of whistles.

Easily the most physical game of the year for the Huskies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
don't get kiah only playing 12 minutes. she was very effective while in there( 6 rebounds), as she has been lately. stef was excited and a bit out of control( 6 turnovers), perhaps from getting whacked. kiah has shown that she can play, and has earned the floor time. and stef could have used some cool-down time. i don't get it. perhaps geno was excited and a bit out of control ,too. thank heavens for caroline.

Stefanie seems to have a hard time holding onto the ball these days. Players who are much shorter are getting good at swatting the ball out of her hands or tying her up and getting a "jump ball."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stefanie seems to have a hard time holding onto the ball these days. Players who are much shorter are getting good at swatting the ball out of her hands or tying her up and getting a "jump ball."
Often she is now the subject of double and triple teams. If the officials don't give you ANY protection from slap and hack bad things are going to happen.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Often she is now the subject of double and triple teams. If the officials don't give you ANY protection from slap and hack bad things are going to happen.

You're right. But sometimes she just can't hold the ball on a pass. At times, Kiah seems to have surer hands. Don't get me wrong. I think Stefanie's a wonderful player. Just looking forward to her playing more like Tina once she gets into her junior and senior years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You're right. But sometimes she just can't hold the ball on a pass. At times, Kiah seems to have surer hands. Don't get me wrong. I think Stefanie's a wonderful player. Just looking forward to her playing more like Tina once she gets into her junior and senior years.
Good thing your expectations aren't too high.

Reaction Score

she does seem to be having trouble getting a handle on the ball, and holding on. i think kiah has much the better, perhaps stronger, hands.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
she does seem to be having trouble getting a handle on the ball, and holding on. i think kiah has much the better, perhaps stronger, hands.

Kiah has yet to draw double and triple teams. I think Stephanie is doing well. Just tough in a scrum like she had to deal with tonight.

Reaction Score
Can't blame Walz, you have to blame the officials. Officials define what players are allowed to do on the court.
There has got to be a point where the coach refuses to allow his players to regress to, whether the refs are allowing it or not. That's like allowing kids to commit mayhem because their parents didn't emphasize right from wrong. No one whose grown up playing basketball the right way should all of a sudden change because now somehow they realize that they aren't going to get punished for violating all the rules they've been raised with. Why would any coach want them to fall into that black hole??????????

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OK - first, was at a rehearsal so I couldn't watch the game, but I really appreciate the game thread so thank you everyone.
Second, I came home and watched the game. You guys didn't exaggerate. I deleted the game. What a slug fest. we are lucky no one got hurt.

And Louisville flops....a lot

Reaction Score
If the official blows the whistle the game is controlled.
I can't imagine Geno not making an effort to control his kids and the way they play the game, regardless of how the referees are calling the game. If Stef started knocking people down or blatantly throwing elbows, he'd go beserk.She'd be outta the game in a New York minute. Obviously the same goes for anyone else wearing a UConn uniform who started playing like a linebacker instead of a basketball player. Referees be damned. Walz should be responsible for the conduct of his kids on the court at all times. You PLAY THE GAME RIGHT, PERIOD!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kiah has yet to draw double and triple teams. I think Stephanie is doing well. Just tough in a scrum like she had to deal with tonight.
This is exactly the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman