UConn v Louisville Game Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

UConn v Louisville Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I can't imagine Geno not making an effort to control his kids and the way they play the game, regardless of how the referees are calling the game. If Stef started knocking people down or blatantly throwing elbows, he'd go beserk.She'd be outta the game in a New York minute. Obviously the same goes for anyone else wearing a UConn uniform who started playing like a linebacker instead of a basketball player. Referees be damned. Walz should be responsible for the conduct of his kids on the court at all times. You PLAY THE GAME RIGHT, PERIOD!!

Geno and CD coach the team to be very physical. We have heard many teams remark in the past about how physical UConn is. I see a qualitative difference, however, in how teams are physical. That is where officials are critical in defining the limits of what is acceptable. If they don't do that then players seeking to respond to and to establish their own physical play and intimidation will search for the upper end and the limit of what is acceptable.

The coach on the sideline is telling his or her team get out there and quit being intimidated. They aren't generally saying do this or this or this. They are saying get out there and fight and stand up for yourself and let the officials call the game. When the officials don't the game deteriorates.

How and when officials makecalls is critical to keeping the game under control and stopping a runaway train. Last night the train was running full speed ahead without any breaks to slow it down.

Muffet, Walz, CVS, Williams-Flournoy, Q and others all tell their kids to go out there and stop being intimidated by UConn. Unfortunately, some teams and players mistake excessive hacking and shoving and coming over the top for tough in your face body-up defense. If the officials don't define the difference then chaos reigns. Geno noted on the Geno Show following the ND game that if you are getting fouls called and the other team is not during the game you have to figure out the difference between what they are doing and mimic it. The officials need to keep the game under control.

I, too, wish Geno had been more active on the sidelines protecting his kids. It may have been a choice on his part knowing they will need to play many more game still under these conditions if they are to win a NC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why not go for it? ;) Tina wasn't exactly perfect in her freshman and sophomore years.
I have noticed a number of turnovers charged to either the entry passer or to Stef where when the pass was made Stef was held by the other arm or pushed or the defender suddenly let go and Stef stumbled with the ball going out of bounds off of her. It is hard to imagine how physical it is in the lane in a game like last night.

Reaction Score
Walz gets T'd up

I think Walz was having a fit because LV was fouling UConn so they could get the ball back and the refs didn't call a foul even after several attempts at fouling. I think he was yelling at the refs to call a foul! We found it hilarious that even then they couldn't get a foul call. Finally they t'd himup/

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I expect Jeff Walz and crew will not get a warm reception from fans in Hartford at the Big East tourney.

In this regard, did anyone notice the way the audience at the last Geno Show reacted to the mention of Louisville? Let's say it wasn't a positive reaction.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Geno not making an effort to control his kids and the way they play the game, regardless of how the referees are calling the game. If Stef started knocking people down or blatantly throwing elbows, he'd go beserk.She'd be outta the game in a New York minute. Obviously the same goes for anyone else wearing a UConn uniform who started playing like a linebacker instead of a basketball player. Referees be damned. Walz should be responsible for the conduct of his kids on the court at all times. You PLAY THE GAME RIGHT, PERIOD!!
Wow to almost everyone here. Another poster on another topic here said it best. Bullies don't like to be bullied. UCONN is known for being physical. I'm not knocking it, heck in sports you have to be physical. If anything, Walzs team as you know is missing several major kinks due to injuries. The only chance they had to even keeping it respectable was to get physical back. Knock the coach all you want, but it's brilliant coaching when your facing long odds. And another thing, us Louisville fans wasn't happy with the refs either. We were being hacked to death and nearly assaulted especially by that #31 on your team. At the end of the game you may recall the boos reigning down from the crowd. It was directed at the refs as they approached the tunnel. Cheers to you guys the rest of the season. Go Cards, Go Huskies!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wow to almost everyone here. Another poster on another topic here said it best. Bullies don't like to be bullied. UCONN is known for being physical. I'm not knocking it, heck in sports you have to be physical. If anything, Walzs team as you know is missing several major kinks due to injuries. The only chance they had to even keeping it respectable was to get physical back. Knock the coach all you want, but it's brilliant coaching when your facing long odds. And another thing, us Louisville fans wasn't happy with the refs either. We were being hacked to death and nearly assaulted especially by that #31 on your team. At the end of the game you may recall the boos reigning down from the crowd. It was directed at the refs as they approached the tunnel. Cheers to you guys the rest of the season. Go Cards, Go Huskies!
There is a difference between playing physical and bullying. Physical is always necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom