UConn to Bridgeport ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn to Bridgeport ?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You are missing a major point here. Season ending injuries are not and should not be considered. We are talking about situations where the player has returned from a regular season injury and is available to play in the tournament.
Agreed. That's why I stated that about UCLA as I'm not familiar if some of their players returned already after injuries. I included more teams than UCLA such as Tennessee, Duke, and Indiana. I'm sure there are so many more teams impacted by injuries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OK, strike the word “precisely.” But taking into account injuries is exactly what the committee is “supposed” to do.
If the process is so clear cut, we wouldn’t have 1,000,000 Bracketology threads across the Internet. The whole process is shrouded in mystery and there is rarely any kind of explanation given for the odd bracket placements. We are working in the dark in trying to predict the official brackets.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the process is so clear cut, we wouldn’t have 1,000,000 Bracketology threads across the Internet. The whole process is shrouded in mystery and there is rarely any kind of explanation given for the odd bracket placements. We are working in the dark in trying to predict the official brackets.
If the process was clear cut, what on earth would the BY talk about for the next week leading up to selection Sunday? :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's almost not fair. After every selection show (ESPN usually) the selection committee ( usually the selection chair) makes themselves available to explain and justify the placements. UCONN is rarely adversely impacted by the selections but SC was in 2017. It is up to the reporter covering the tournament and teams to ask the right questions IMO.

Reaction Score
You’re right. Clark had a bad game. They won because of Czinano, who had 30. But I wouldn’t judge Clark on one game, just as I wouldn’t judge Paige for going 3 for 14 last year against Tennessee. Clark has been incredible this season, in scoring, assists, and directing the offense. If UConn doesn’t take Iowa seriously, just like they didn’t take Arizona seriously, they could lose. Just my opinion, of course.
I respectfully disagree, Iowa doesn’t have the fire power to match up with Dorka, Edwards, Ono, Ducharme, Fudd, Westbrook, Nika, and CW. I think Villanova could beat Iowa, but still remains to be seen if Villanova gets in, if they do they could definitely upset someone.

PS…..and take note that I have not mentioned Paige at all.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that folks have taken the committee's consideration for injuries out of context.
I previously posted a Q&A reference where a committee member was asked if injuries are considered.
And IIRC it had to do with an injury at Colorado.
His answer was with respect to injured players being available for the tournament.
He did not mention that they would cancel or predict who would have won regular season games due to injuries at all.
He said to the effect that if there were a tie among teams that were on the bubble, that the committee could look at injuries to players that wouldn't be available for the tournament.
He said that generally they wouldn't want to discriminate against a team with a good record that now has a major injury to a star player.
But that it could be a consideration because player availability due to injury is a factor that the committee could consider.
This is only my recollection from a single answer or two that he stated in response to a specific question about if player injuries were considered by the committee.
But since then, posters here have greatly tried to expand the committee member's answer to include all loses during the season due to injuries for each and every team.
That wasn't the context of what I posted at all.
Perhaps folks are reading rules that I don't know about.
Maybe there's a catch all criterion that allows the committee to do whatever they want.
But I doubt that's the reality when the injury criterion is put into practice.
I think that the criterion is limited to injured player availability during the tournament only.
And I'm pretty sure that he said it could affect seeding, but generally not selection.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can you give me two apples to compare?
1646839283235.jpeg

You’re welcome.

Reaction Score
I believe Azzi, Paige, and Dorka all played in the SC game. However, the team chemistry was not what it is today and Geno was not comfortable with his depth, that is not the case today. SC is dominate inside, I think UConn must beat SC outside just like Mizzou and Kentucky did, trying to out muscle SC inside will be very difficult.
Ducharme didn’t play at all, and Fudd only played for 10 minutes and was still dealing with foot issues. Dorka also played at not 100%. Edwards played too but was not the same player she is now. Lastly I might remind you that UConn led in this game at halftime despite all the negatives.

Reaction Score
Watch out for Kentucky, low seed that is playing like much higher seed now. Can not let Kentucky have open 3 or it could be very tough game.
Kentucky is very good, agreed. Just remember, so is Villanova now that Maddy Seacrist is healthy, she missed several games earlier in the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, NO WAY UConn is placed in Bridgeport. Any number one seed should not have to play the regionals in the home state of the number two seed. And the Committee would face charges of favoritism toward the 11-time champions.
What makes you think UConn doesn’t get a #1 seed? They just beat a very good Villanova team by 30 points.

Reaction Score
UCONN is projected by Charlie to be in this position. Charlie is not the selection committee.
First of all, where did I reference Charlie? Next, Charlie attempts to emulate the committee just like all of us are right now. As has been referred to by others, manager many teams have been impacted by injuries. Just as UConn has dealt with it’s fair share, they also have more highly ranked, highly talented players to turn to than others. If attacking Creme is you’re best critique, we should hold any discussion until Monday because none of us are the committee.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First of all, where did I reference Charlie? Next, Charlie attempts to emulate the committee just like all of us are right now. As has been referred to by others, manager many teams have been impacted by injuries. Just as UConn has dealt with it’s fair share, they also have more highly ranked, highly talented players to turn to than others. If attacking Creme is you’re best critique, we should hold any discussion until Monday because none of us are the committee.
:eek: With this statement:
"That is the exact reason why we are on the 2 line and not the 3 or 4 line."

Reaction Score
:eek: With this statement:
"That is the exact reason why we are on the 2 line and not the 3 or 4 line."
Yes, that is my belief that we are on the two line. If not for the injuries I would have us, and I bet most experts would have us on the 3/4. Once again, I made no reference to Crème or others in my statement.

Reaction Score
Yes I agree in part. But no other team suffered the number of key player absences and injuries that UConn had to overcome this season. If you just look at Villanova as a benchmark for UConn’s season, the impact of injuries gives the committee 2 striking data points.

One month ago, without Paige, Liv & Caroline, using just 6 players, UConn dropped a 72-69 game in Hartford. Two days ago, with Paige, Liv & Caroline, using 9 players against the same Villanova roster, UConn blows out the Wildcats 70-40 at the Conference Tournament.
Yes, look at Villanova. I hope the committee considers that Maddy Seacrist missed several games with an injury early in the season that they ended up losing, they are a very good team and should get an invite to the NCAA. Maybe a 15 or 16 seed. It’s unfortunate that they ran into a healthy buzzsaw called UConn the other night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, that is my belief that we are on the two line. If not for the injuries I would have us, and I bet most experts would have us on the 3/4. Once again, I made no reference to Crème or others in my statement.
:eek:So it was just a coincidence that Charlie's projection happen to match yours?
If so what is your projection for Villanova? I'm asking for a friend.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ducharme didn’t play at all, and Fudd only played for 10 minutes and was still dealing with foot issues. Dorka also played at not 100%. Edwards played too but was not the same player she is now. Lastly I might remind you that UConn led in this game at halftime despite all the negatives.
UConn was hitting outside shots in the 1st half. IMO, the SC guards, as of today, are not as good as the UConn guards but there is no doubt in my mind SC interior players are the best in the women college game,that is why I really believe UConn needs the guards to lead the way and a healthy Paige needs to lead those guards. SC is beatable by UConn!

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree, Iowa doesn’t have the fire power to match up with Dorka, Edwards, Ono, Ducharme, Fudd, Westbrook, Nika, and CW. I think Villanova could beat Iowa, but still remains to be seen if Villanova gets in, if they do they could definitely upset someone.

PS…..and take note that I have not mentioned Paige at all.
To be clear, I want you to be right. I want UConn to beat Iowa with ease. I have my doubts, though.

As for Villanova, in a best of 7 series with Iowa, I think Iowa would dominate and win 4-0. But again, I would prefer that you be right.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I want you to be right. I want UConn to beat Iowa with ease. I have my doubts, though.

As for Villanova, in a best of 7 series with Iowa, I think Iowa would dominate and win 4-0. But again, I would prefer that you be right.
I guess we can agree to disagree. :oops:

Reaction Score
The same Villanova that‘s #72 in the NET? The one that struggled to score 40?

I think Denise Dillon took a page from Harry Paretta’s playbook, or she borrowed it from her assistant Joe Mullaney. Lol. I know they are a low scoring team but that’s the way they have played for 20 years. Several pundits are picking them as the last one in. With the committee knowing that Siecrist was out early in the season I think they get in as a 15 or 16 out west. I like their other players, Herlihy, Olsen the freshman, Garson, and Brooke Mullin.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Denise Dillon took a page from Harry Paretta’s playbook, or she borrowed it from her assistant Joe Mullaney. Lol. I know they are a low scoring team but that’s the way they have played for 20 years. Several pundits are picking them as the last one in. With the committee knowing that Siecrist was out early in the season I think they get in as a 15 or 16 out west.
Don’t disagree. My point is that beating Villanova by 30 isn’t going to make UConn as #1 seed. For one thing, it’s only one game and the other is that all it does is mitigate a horrible loss on UConn’s resume.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Several pundits are picking them as the last one in. With the committee knowing that Siecrist was out early in the season I think they get in as a 15 or 16 out west. I like their other players, Herlihy, Olsen the freshman, Garson, and Brooke Mullin.
Would not be a 15 or 16 seed. Those are the invariably the AQs from the weaker one-bid conferences. The final at-large picks are usually 11 or maybe 12 seeds.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I haven’t paid much attention to Autumn Johnson’s bracketology. But I must say I really like her latest iteration.
Not sure how much attention it deserves. I just gave it a quick glance; she has Baylor and Iowa State as the 2 and 3 seeds in the same region. Not possible.

People love to unload on Creme, but he rarely makes amateur mistakes like that.

Reaction Score
:eek:So it was just a coincidence that Charlie's projection happen to match yours?
If so what is your projection for Villanova? I'm asking for a friend.
Charlie’s matches mine and 90% of other fans lol. I hate to break it to you, but the boneyard does not represent a unbiased sample, rather it’s your personal echo chamber. Look around various projections and metrics. Also take a look at past seeding. Also, nice try to get aggressive at me for having the majority opinion. As for Villanova, imo they aren’t in. SH pulling the upset cost Nova a chance to improve their resume.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom