UConn to Bridgeport ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to Bridgeport ?

Reaction Score
My take: UConn team chemistry is better today than ever, however UConn performance against really good teams has not been proven against the elite teams they will face in the Big Dance. When Paige was dominate UConn stumbled against SC and after the injury they loss to Oregon, Louisville and GT but that team lacked depth and chemistry, today’s team has depth and chemistry but Paige is not back to dominate Paige yet. That is why I believe UConn needs Paige to be NC. SC is an elite team and UConn will need the old Paige to win the NC.
For what it’s worth, I think Oregon, GT, and Louisville were all playing better in their games against UConn than they are currently.

I’d probably say the same about South Carolina, actually, and it’s not just because of the loss Sunday.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I think Oregon, GT, and Louisville were all playing better in their games against UConn than they are currently.

I’d probably say the same about South Carolina, actually, and it’s not just because of the loss Sunday.
I have watched every game SC and UConn played this year that was televised and both are better today than when they played early in the season. SC is very physical, probably more physical than any other NCAA WBB this season. As for the other teams that beat UConn this year, I think GT is better today than when the first game was played. Of the teams that I believe will make the Big Dance, I am Huskies all the way. I want UConn to win the NC but I see SC as the major stumbling block and IMO we need Paige to be Paige to beat SC!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The BE only gets 2 teams. Come on. Your kidding. Other conferences get 6-9 teams in some with loosing conference records. I completely and totally disagree. Those conferences arent that strong. If they were they may not have lost early in their conference tournaments. Big East deserves 4. I guess we wait for the NCAA to deliver the good news to some and the bad news to others.
Tony,

I do not believe any of the Power 5 teams, with 6-9 bids, have teams with losing conference records.

I do not think the BE is that good.
I might have taken Villanova over Creighton, but DePaul and Marquette did not impress me as NCAA teams.

Reaction Score
Tony, there is no doubt in my mind that right now UConn is one of the top 4 teams in the country. But whether or not the Selection Committee will see it that way once they get through looking at SOS, NET, the price of tea in China and whatever else they consider, I just don’t know.
I want to believe this, but I don’t want the team to. I fear a loss like Arizona due to overconfidence.

Reaction Score

The SEC has some teams doing extremely well including South Carolina and Kentucky. While I would predict we beat any SEC team we play, have to give them the respect they have earned. If you think SC's play has tailed off, have you seen them play at all (or at least in any game other than KY)? SC is one of the most consistent teams out there.

Reaction Score
After Mondays convincing win over Villanova, I am beginning to agree with you that UConn may have earned a number one seed. in light of the upsets that have recently occurred. However, UConn will not get that result. A lot of factors will be considered but not that UConn has a healthy team and has won it's last five games convincingly. I do hope that Villanoa, Marquette, Creighton and DePaul are given good consideration and that some of these teams will be allowed into the tournement. I also hope that these other Big East teams will provide a fine showing and go at least two rounds or more against the "premier" conference opponents.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If UConn is in Bridgeport my wife and I plan to go with my brother and his wife. Yesterday, I checked to see what ticket availability looked like on SeatGeek for minimum 4-seat packages for both sessions. There were dozens of 4-seat packages available for around $100/ticket.

Fast forward one day. UConn wallops Nova. Charlie Creme now projects UConn in the Bridgeport Region. I check SeatGeek again. This time there were just two 4-seat packages available for $200/ticket.

What’s a diehard UConn WBB fan to do? I purchased 4 tickets on SeatGeek for considerably more than I wanted to pay, and now I’ll wait nervously for the Selection Committee to release their bracket next Sunday.

Reaction Score
Not liking Kentucky at Bridgeport.
Not taking anything away from Kentucky--that was a great conference tournament run and a superb win over SC, but I've watched Kentucky all season because a friend of the family is on their staff, and they are not a threat to UConn. They pretty much rely on one-on-one situations for Howard and Edwards--very good offensive players--but there is a lot of disjointed play and their defense often is out of position and is undisciplined which can be exploited. It's all about match ups and Kentucky's major weaknesses are all UConn's major strengths

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
By moving UConn up to Bridgeport my fear came true with one of the other movements. Iowa is now the 3 seed in Bridgeport. Besides the #1 seeds, this is the team I definitely did not want to see in our bracket. They are hot, and Clark is a maniac that can win a game by herself.

Reaction Score
The SEC has some teams doing extremely well including South Carolina and Kentucky. While I would predict we beat any SEC team we play, have to give them the respect they have earned. If you think SC's play has tailed off, have you seen them play at all (or at least in any game other than KY)? SC is one of the most consistent teams out there.
Yes, I have. I’m a SC fan.

The fourth quarter meltdown against Kentucky was the second in two days. Prior to that, SC had faced some issues closing out games (@arkansas in January, @Kentucky in February) that didn’t seem to be there earlier in the season.

The sky certainly isn’t falling at 29-2 with those losses coming by three points combined. They are still the #1 overall seed in all likelihood. I just meant that I thought SC’s offensive play earlier in the year seemed stronger than it has of late.

Reaction Score
You mean Storrs.....that makes a difference, doesn't it? Iowa in Bridgeport along with NC State if the Committee goes by Creme's Bracketology. Not so easy. We'll find out just how good the defense really is.

It does set up the possibility of four of the five someone wanted to beat for the NC 12 this season: Iowa, NC State and two of Louisville, SC and Stanford.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony,

I do not believe any of the Power 5 teams, with 6-9 bids, have teams with losing conference records.

I do not think the BE is that good.
I might have taken Villanova over Creighton, but DePaul and Marquette did not impress me as NCAA teams.
Loosing or 8/8 records. The SEC does for sure.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yes I have the SEC channel

Reaction Score
Not taking anything away from Kentucky--that was a great conference tournament run and a superb win over SC, but I've watched Kentucky all season because a friend of the family is on their staff, and they are not a threat to UConn. They pretty much rely on one-on-one situations for Howard and Edwards--very good offensive players--but there is a lot of disjointed play and their defense often is out of position and is undisciplined which can be exploited. It's all about match ups and Kentucky's major weaknesses are all UConn's major strengths
Agree with what you are saying. Hope you are right! I’ve watched many of their games this year too. It just appears that Howard has finally decided to not wait until the end of the game to play up to her potential. She has looked lazy at times, deferring to her teammates, but then it becomes Rhyne Time, as the announcers say, and she would try and take over the game. She also has some very good players around her. Edwards is impressive. I’m sure their confidence level has raised immensely with the conference win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You mean Storrs.....that makes a difference, doesn't it? Iowa in Bridgeport along with NC State if the Committee goes by Creme's Bracketology. Not so easy. We'll find out just how good the defense really is.

It does set up the possibility of four of the five someone wanted to beat for the NC 12 this season: Iowa, NC State and two of Louisville, SC and Stanford.
Yes Storrs, got a bit ahead of myself.

Reaction Score

Yes, you are correct, being in Storrs should give the team a boost. They will still need their A game, in both defense and offense. If the committee is in sync with Creme‘s bracket, I think UConn has the toughest road to the National Championship. I have faith but it does appear that Stamford is being set up for a much easier road.

Reaction Score
My take: UConn team chemistry is better today than ever, however UConn performance against really good teams has not been proven against the elite teams they will face in the Big Dance. When Paige was dominate UConn stumbled against SC and after the injury they loss to Oregon, Louisville and GT but that team lacked depth and chemistry, today’s team has depth and chemistry but Paige is not back to dominate Paige yet. That is why I believe UConn needs Paige to be NC. SC is an elite team and UConn will need the old Paige to win the NC.
“but that team lacked depth and chemistry”………Lol, you think not having Azzi Fudd and Paige Bueckers for any of those losses, and Dorka Juhasz and Caroline Ducharme (head injury) for some of them, only caused a lack of team depth and chemistry??? Also I think you’re failing to realize how much the UConn bigs (Edwards, Ono, Ducharme and Juhasz) have improved their scoring in the paint since those losses.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Loosing or 8/8 records. The SEC does for sure.
Yes, the SEC has 2 teams with losing conference records, Ark and Mo. Kentucky was 8-8, but won the SEC tournie.
Both, Ark and Mo, have Net Rankings better than any team from the BE, that didnt make it.
Ark 30
Mo 49, plus a win over #1 SC
DeP 52
Marq 69
Vil 72

I still dont see why more than 2 BE teams should make it.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I just read the Kentucky message board, and found the following, "Not liking UConn at Bridgeport"... Of course, I didn't go to the Kentucky message board but I don't need to because that is exactly what they are thinking over there. Oh, and after seeing UConn play in the BE tournament...I think they are peaking at the right time and it is UConn who will be the team to beat. I'm just sayin'

Reaction Score
By moving UConn up to Bridgeport my fear came true with one of the other movements. Iowa is now the 3 seed in Bridgeport. Besides the #1 seeds, this is the team I definitely did not want to see in our bracket. They are hot, and Clark is a maniac that can win a game by herself.
yep, totaly agree with you. I said it people will be mad they get sent outside of Bridgeport, but if it means getting an easier team like Louisville #1 so what? If they go to the final 4 isn't that more important than "being a home game," ? Iowa definitely didn't forget last season what happened in the Sweet 16, and another shot at Uconn they might just have that extra edge to win this time.

Reaction Score
Iowa barely beat Indiana, and Clark couldn’t throw it in the ocean. I watched the game yesterday, Clark had 18 points on like a zillion attempts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa barely beat Indiana, and Clark couldn’t throw it in the ocean. I watched the game yesterday, Clark had 18 points on like a zillion attempts.
You’re right. Clark had a bad game. They won because of Czinano, who had 30. But I wouldn’t judge Clark on one game, just as I wouldn’t judge Paige for going 3 for 14 last year against Tennessee. Clark has been incredible this season, in scoring, assists, and directing the offense. If UConn doesn’t take Iowa seriously, just like they didn’t take Arizona seriously, they could lose. Just my opinion, of course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom