UConn to Bridgeport ? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn to Bridgeport ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NCAA already has its money for this tourney as the tickets are mostly sold before the brackets are released. It's nearly irrelevant which team goes where. Bridgeport would certainly care because that's less secondary revenue for them at concession stands and local restaurants, but from the NCAA's perspective, they've already been paid.
The NCAA has a lot of venues that are half empty. A packed arena makes for better television. Otherwise, I largely agree, although, moving Connecticut elsewhere would probably chill future sales in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has a lot of venues that are half empty. A packed arena makes for better television. Otherwise, I largely agree, although, moving Connecticut elsewhere would probably chill future sales in Bridgeport.
Well Bridgeport won't be hosting for a long time since next season the regionals will be at 2 sites instead of 4 going forward. One of the sites will be Albany in 2024, but other than that, Geno will never have to worry about getting put into a local site for the rest of his coaching career since until at least 2027 we'll be somewhere down south or out west.

Reaction Score
This may not be the most accurate comparison, but in 2004 UConn lost to BC in the semi final of the BET in Hartford. The final was sold out but instead of an expected 12000 fans, an estimated 5000 showed up. You may recall that Geno made the team attend the game. They had plenty of seats to choose from. I never saw a sorrier looking group of young women.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not all “true fans” have the finances to show up.

I was referring to fans who bought tickets with the assumption that their favorite team would be playing, not showing up if that team were sent elsewhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well Bridgeport won't be hosting for a long time since next season the regionals will be at 2 sites instead of 4 going forward. One of the sites will be Albany in 2024, but other than that, Geno will never have to worry about getting put into a local site for the rest of his coaching career since until at least 2027 we'll be somewhere down south or out west.
That’s right, I forgot about that.

Reaction Score
I'm curious, what percentage would you say that Creme's brackets resemble the committee's? Going off of past brackets?
Guessing about someone else's sometime's random choices is not going to be a highly accurate undertaking.

The teams themselves, Creme frequently gets 95%+; I've seen him get 98%, missing just one team. Of course just about anybody who really follows this could do the same, it's not a big deal to make the right guesses on what, 2-4 teams usually.

The actual brackets are a whole other level of difficulty, since once you have made one guess for the committee that doesn't pan out it all starts falling apart. I'm making my own guess that his % is pretty low.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Guessing about someone else's sometime's random choices is not going to be a highly accurate undertaking.

The teams themselves, Creme frequently gets 95%+; I've seen him get 98%, missing just one team. Of course just about anybody who really follows this could do the same, it's not a big deal to make the right guesses on what, 2-4 teams usually.

The actual brackets are a whole other level of difficulty, since once you have made one guess for the committee that doesn't pan out it all starts falling apart. I'm making my own guess that his % is pretty low.
Yes, he and the other well-known bracketologists (Lundardi and Palm on the men's side) usually come within a team or two of getting "the field" right.

As for the seedings, he usually projects them within one seed line up or down.

But yeah, projections of specific matchups are going to be a lot less accurate because one single miss out of the many dozens of bracketing decisions that have to be made will, by domino effect, ensure many more incaccuracies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
only 10k arena, let's not act like it's a huge one.
My guess is you haven’t seen any of the attendance numbers of the regionals. Bridgeport always out performs the other regions when UConn is there. Actually, they have never held a region without UConn being assigned there. That is why Fairfield U and Sacred Heart U agree to host it, they know it will sell out.
The poor regional attendance is the reason the NCAA will go to just 2 sites next year, hoping to get more fans. To me, it is always about location. Put in NC or SC and those fans will come. Heck put it in Iowa, those fans attend. Don’t put it in Dallas or OKC or Lexington. Chicago is usually pretty good. Oregon is ok but avoid anywhere in California (too much other stuff to do).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those who think Creme is not Curdled, his latest post seems to put UConn (as a #2 seed) in Bridgeport almost 100% certain

Speaking on a media conference call Friday, Creme said he’s convinced UConn will land in Bridgeport. With Paige Bueckers back and the roster healthy, UConn is — on paper — a team that deserves a No. 2 seed and a spot in Bridgeport..

“It would be surprising to me if it didn’t,” Creme said. “It hasn’t happened in any of the reveals but that’s understandable given the way the rest of country laid out and the fact that UConn was a 3-seed up until they got their whole roster back and they had that pretty significant and impressive run through the Big East. Bottom line is, you can pretty much lock them into Bridgeport and pretty much lock them into a 2.”

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My guess is you haven’t seen any of the attendance numbers of the regionals. Bridgeport always out performs the other regions when UConn is there. Actually, they have never held a region without UConn being assigned there. That is why Fairfield U and Sacred Heart U agree to host it, they know it will sell out.
The poor regional attendance is the reason the NCAA will go to just 2 sites next year, hoping to get more fans. To me, it is always about location. Put in NC or SC and those fans will come. Heck put it in Iowa, those fans attend. Don’t put it in Dallas or OKC or Lexington. Chicago is usually pretty good. Oregon is ok but avoid anywhere in California (too much other stuff to do).
Put it in Vegas and they would fill the place up.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've been sweating thsi out - When the regions were released I invested $450 for 6 seats behind the bench in Bridgeport. Fingers and toes are very crossed for the Huskies to land in Bridgeport!

Reaction Score
The Committee is pretty ignorant if they don't know that "the Player of the Year," Paige, missed several games, and now is back.
The Committee should approach their seedings as IF they were going to WAGER on the games. I'm sure they would more serious about their selections!
Interesting twist. Maybe the committee should put their money where their mouth is, figuratively speaking.

Reaction Score
This may not be the most accurate comparison, but in 2004 UConn lost to BC in the semi final of the BET in Hartford. The final was sold out but instead of an expected 12000 fans, an estimated 5000 showed up. You may recall that Geno made the team attend the game. They had plenty of seats to choose from. I never saw a sorrier looking group of young women.
I'm not doing any research, so I'm out on a limb here. I don't think it was 2004, DT's senior year. That year they lost to Villanova in the BET championship game at the RAC Ask Nan, she was there.

I do remember Geno forcing the kids to sit through a BET championship game, I just don't remember the year. There's only a few to pick from as UConn usually wins the championship.

Reaction Score
I'm not doing any research, so I'm out on a limb here. I don't think it was 2004, DT's senior year. That year they lost to Villanova in the BET championship game at the RAC Ask Nan, she was there.

I do remember Geno forcing the kids to sit through a BET championship game, I just don't remember the year. There's only a few to pick from as UConn usually
You are one year off UConn lost to Villanova in the 2003 BET championship game. In 2004 they lost to Boston College in a semi final game. Originally I remembered it the way you did. But when I went looking for a box score that contained the attendance numbers I realized that 2004 was the year when only 40% of the fans showed up because UConn was not in the finals.

Reaction Score
Lots of anger from a certain orange colored board about the thought of us ending up in Bridgeport.
They are angry about everything. Their go to, blame Geno and ESPN. Also, Pat would never is a go to line for the Orange and envious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom