UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 43 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The timing of this 'leak' seems so odd. Why would the BIG 12 look at any conference realignment one week before College Football season starts? In a perfect world they would have met in April following Uconn's National Champioship- then have all summer to work out the details.
They started talking again in April. Not sure why it took so long to get everyone to the table to look at the presentations.

Reaction Score
They must be thinking Hartford rather than Storrs.

I don't get why SOS is such a big deal. UConn may not play football in conference until 2031 and that is if certain metrics are met. Maybe UConn won't accept that late a start date. And if SOS is a concern, they can all go out and schedule tougher out of conference games. Basketball is a slam dunk. Just do it!!

"CBS Sports has reported that ESPN, which lost the Big Ten, would be in favor of the addition. UConn basketball would be a ratings winner, plus the Huskies' campus is only 14 miles away. ESPN began in 1979 showing the likes of local sports from Central Connecticut State just to get stuff on the air."
Sloppy sloppy sloppy

Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

-> Does Yormark have the votes?

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve.

Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

A reminder, it only takes five votes to nix the move. Additionally, Yormark is trying to steer this issue amid a new group of presidents who don't fully align on this topic. Expansion is always a hot-button issue. Yormark is trying to work his pitch while avoiding disagreement as the Big 12 debuts with 16 teams in the latest era of profound transformation in college athletics.

If Yormark doesn't have the votes, there probably won't be a vote. That's what the next few weeks about -- presidents sharing information with their ADs and administrators to come up with an institutional opinion. Ideally, any commissioner would want a unanimous vote to assure alignment in the conference. Even though the presidents have the vote on this issue, it would be advantageous for Yormark to have total alignment. That means president and athletic director across the Big 12 board agree to bring in UConn. <-

There is a lot more in the article. Strongly suggest a read before commenting.

Yes. Read the article.

Reaction Score
They must be thinking Hartford rather than Storrs.

I don't get why SOS is such a big deal. UConn may not play football in conference until 2031 and that is if certain metrics are met. Maybe UConn won't accept that late a start date. And if SOS is a concern, they can all go out and schedule tougher out of conference games. Basketball is a slam dunk. Just do it!!

"CBS Sports has reported that ESPN, which lost the Big Ten, would be in favor of the addition. UConn basketball would be a ratings winner, plus the Huskies' campus is only 14 miles away. ESPN began in 1979 showing the likes of local sports from Central Connecticut State just to get stuff on the air."
Someone heard "14" instead of "40." I wonder if they used speech recognition software to write the draft, and it slipped through.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying a Kanasa move is, sorry, imminent but it's not crazy for them to improve football a bit more and be coveted for basketball, decent football, and their AAU status by either the B1G and/or the SEC.
They already did improve football. Look at #22. Georgia, Ohio State and Oregon lead preseason AP Top 25 college football rankings

New Stadium being built right now as well. Coach was locked up long term despite interest from other schools. I don't think they fit in the SEC, but they'd go if offered. They'd be with Missouri, OU and Arkansas that are traditional opponents. The B1G has already expanded a bit too much and isn't likely to add anyone.

Reaction Score
I know people don't think this game against Maryland has any impact with the B12 decision makers. I disagree.
If we play a hell of a game win or lose it will definitely help shift the current narrative at least a little bit.
I'm sure most of the B12 presidents are expecting a lopsided score.
You know that Yormark will make sure the schools are aware of us playing a hard fought game if that happens.
A win would send a bright flare over Big12 country.

Reaction Score
It’s deja vue all over again …

Reaction Score
They already did improve football. Look at #22. Georgia, Ohio State and Oregon lead preseason AP Top 25 college football rankings

New Stadium being built right now as well. Coach was locked up long term despite interest from other schools. I don't think they fit in the SEC, but they'd go if offered. They'd be with Missouri, OU and Arkansas that are traditional opponents. The B1G has already expanded a bit too much and isn't likely to add anyone.
It's still really just one season for Kansas football. Leipold seems like the right guy for them but outside of last year Kansas football has pretty much been a disaster since their historic 2007 season and the Orange Bowl win.

Reaction Score
What I don’t understand is why wouldn’t they make sure the votes were there before going through all this again. It’s clearly not going to happen. There won’t be a “vote”. It may just
drag on until another dream situation pops up
for them. The way this is playing out is an embarrassment for both sides.

Reaction Score
I did KNOW what you MEANT. What you wrote, however, was dumb. Does it ever occur to you to own it when you write something dumb instead of attacking the person who points it out? It would be worth trying. Simply saying "my bad" and moving on takes care of it.
You also could’ve ignored it (I know what he meant) and moved on, but instead cooked up a stupid grammar argument. Now I know why some in that coastal town on the Sound, don’t like you.

Reaction Score
What I don’t understand is why wouldn’t they make sure the votes were there before going through all this again
isnt that putting the cart before the horse? before voting yormark and the consultants had to give the presentation to the 16 members, 4 of which are new since last year. the members didnt know what numbers yormark and the consultants were going to show them beforehand. based on the reception to the presentation they could have voted but it doesnt appear we had enough support to even entertain a vote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just chill and hope for football wins to expand our options. This isn’t over. We will get the call.

Reaction Score
What I don’t understand is why wouldn’t they make sure the votes were there before going through all this again. It’s clearly not going to happen. There won’t be a “vote”. It may just
drag on until another dream situation pops up
for them. The way this is playing out is an embarrassment for both sides.
Because when UConn was discussed last year, the Big 12 didn't have Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado. Those four schools have to be brought in on the discussion. They needed to see the presentation of David Benedict and Endeavor along with the other schools.

Reaction Score
I know everyone is feeling uneasy but remember Yormark is a smart guy and he and the B12 wouldn't be going through all of this if there was no interest in UConn. It's a good sign we didn't get an announcement that the B12 was done pursuing us after Monday. It seems likely the House settlement and the first week of CFB are overshadowing at the moment

They will likely pick back up after this stuff cools down. Its also possible they are working in silence

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom