UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 38 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
whoever wants to take football earliest
Taking ACC invite right now could be disaster, which makes me think it could happen.
In the next couple years, that league could be decimated.
If you think BC is in a tough spot now, why would you want to join them.
UConn might be able to dictate favorable terms if the league changes but it’s a gamble.
Big 12 would be the better invite long term.

Reaction Score
From what I read, ESPN was willing to pay for four when the ACC expanded with Stanford, Cal and SMU. So they have an open slot. However, I don't think that ESPN can initiate it. I think that the ACC has to go to ESPN.
They didn't want to pay. It was in the contract. Thus the speculation they won't renew after 2027.

Reaction Score
Eamonn Brennan

"More than any specific view, what actually sucks about this whole thing is that fans have to care about this stuff at all. Realignment has turned the diehard supporters of the two-time defending national men’s basketball champions into pro bono brand managers and amateur athletics administrators; it has made them unnaturally invested in revenue sharing agreements; it has forced them to be more preoccupied with Brett Yormark than Alex Karaban.

"Hot take: This is bad.

"Because, again, the argument for the move is at least fair. Folks’ hearts are in the right place. The Big 12 does represent a significant long-term opportunity for UConn athletics!"

Reaction Score
Taking ACC invite right now could be disaster, which makes me think it could happen.
UConn might be able to dictate favorable terms if the league changes but it’s a gamble.
Agree. I have long been in favor of Big 12 over the ACC, but the ACC can certainly play some defense here. Taking us weakens Big 12 from coming into Northeast market and ACC may become the better basketball conference than the Big 12 is aiming for.

Reaction Score
If you have an option of the two you go Big XII. If you only have the ACC as an option you think really long and hard about it, because I don't see us going back to the Big East if the ACC falls apart, too. It's a gamble that could actually destroy the athletic program and the odds aren't good.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Brett Yormark is the only power conference commissioner who's been advocating for us. You won't see the B1G or SEC commissioners going after us. And forget the ACC, been dumped on by that league enough.
By my count, the Big12 has spurned us twice: 2016 and 2023. For refresher, this is how we compared back in 2016:
Capture.JPG

How many times do we need conferences to tell us to go screw ourselves? If this week goes by without a vote or invite, the Big12 is solidly in the same category as the ACC regarding UConn's CR woes. Doesn't matter that Yormark is seemingly advocating for us; we're not highly regarded by the voters that count.

Reaction Score
By my count, the Big12 has spurned us twice: 2016 and 2023. For refresher, this is how we compared back in 2016:
View attachment 103193
How many times do we need conferences to tell us to go screw ourselves? If this week goes by without a vote or invite, the Big12 is solidly in the same category as the ACC regarding UConn's CR woes. Doesn't matter that Yormark is seemingly advocating for us; we're not highly regarded by the voters that count.
You ever hear of 50 cent? Get Rich or Die Trying!

Reaction Score
I don't quite understand why the ACC is so quiet. I get they're dealing with FSU and Clemson, but your rival is in the press and being vocal about their plan.. we want to plant a flag in the northeast, we want that New York market, we want that value. And crickets from the ACC? You're under attack! Do something about it. You've got BC and Syracuse in the northeast.. why would you not just take the last big brand and force the BigXII to take St. Johns or Nova for northeast basketball? Shut your competition out of the market. Especially when your media partner is saying they'll foot the bill to add UConn to the BigXII.

Hopefully AD Dave is on the phone with them as well, because with only one bidder, the BigXII can dictate whatever terms they want with no recourse. If AD Dave gets an answer from the ACC, hopefully his next call is to the B1G with a friendly, "by 2031, what's it gonna take?":)
They took SMU.

That says it all.

That took all the mystery away for what is going on there.

Reaction Score
UConn joining the ACC tilts the balance of basketball to the ACC and makes them the undisputed home of the best basketball in the country.

It also gives football a home for the next 10 years.

It also pays much better than the B12.

The problem with the ACC is SMU. Losing the top 2 to 4 schools is one thing, but being stuck with SMU forever is bizarre and weird.

Reaction Score
I think you consider ACC offer if Big 12 drags its feet or the ACC gets football immediately into the conference at or close to a full share.

Getting us in allows us to show what our program can do with a larger budget and with the support of league scheduling. Proving ourselves or more importantly our football program should open doors for us if the ACC were to collapse and I would think the vetting process would be much easier.

Reaction Score
Been there. The blonde girls are incredible. If my son can’t get into the schools he wants, might send him there. Lol.
Admission into ASU's Schools of Education, Engineering, Business and Architecture is not as easy as you might think. Liberal Arts, no problem.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is a perfect example of why egotistical blowhards should stay out of important business decisions.

The only smart dealers have been the SEC.
B1G screwed up with Rutgers but could afford to make that mistake - whether their West coast move works is yet to be determined.
Both are vulnerable to greed. Sooner or later the power teams will start complaining about the Indiana’s and Minnesota’s not contributing.

Big 12 seems passable. But grabbing UCF and BYU is dumb. They probably didn’t think PAC schools would be available so soon.

ACC has been stupid from the start. UWV and Cincinnati should be there with UConn. Tulane would’ve be much wiser than CalTex.

UConn joining the ACC tilts the balance of basketball to the ACC and makes them the undisputed home of the best basketball in the country.

It also gives football a home for the next 10 years.

It also pays much better than the B12.

The problem with the ACC is SMU. Losing the top 2 to 4 schools is one thing, but being stuck with SMU forever is bizarre and weird.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
You ever hear of 50 cent? Get Rich or Die Trying!
Capture.JPG

^_^
Now I ain't saying we're a gold digger, but they ain't listening to no 6x BBall winner.

Reaction Score
His smirk/smile doesn't convince me of anything positive, nor do his words. Towards the end of the video he said when an opportunity presents itself, he has to do his due diligence. Well now, isn't that what he was supposed to have done regarding UConn last year?! That we need another round of "due diligence" is just blowing smoke up our @$$es again. He could've convinced me if said I can't comment at this time.

He is likely talking to the new schools just added.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
View attachment 103193

On a purchasing power basis, Connecticut destroys Cincinnati and BYU, especially considering that all 3 of those other schools share the market with another P4 and we don’t.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is it? I know that Storrs is.
As the crow flies it is pretty close:
Boston to NYC (doesn't specify where in either city and it didn't work for Chestnut Hill) - 190.20 miles
Syracuse to NYC (again, no specification as to where in either city) - 195.36 miles.

Driving distance is a different story:
Boston to NYC - 216 miles
Syracuse to NYC - 247 miles

For comparison:
Washington DC to NYC - 203.55 miles as the crow flies; 226 miles driving distance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom