UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this. I’m curious on your reasoning. Please explain.
Sure. The P6 was the creation of Mike Aresco in an attempt to elevate his program, which was on the outside, looking in at the P5. The P3 designation is an attempt by the big 12 to define itself as a peer to the big 10 and the SEC. Both are opportunistic fictions from people in the outside, looking in.

Reaction Score
You'd think if he was going to steal material he'd just read through this realignment board.

UConn should start offering a PHD in conference realignment. Key tweets and non key tweets in their entirety is required reading. Then a jury of members from this board judge their 5 minute take on realignment and award them the degree or call them dumb
This.

I'm a little afraid to admit that I've read every post ever made on the realignment board. And not "mark this forum read" read. Every f'ng word.

Reaction Score
Couz's Corner (Big 12) talks UConn. Spoiler: He's not a fan of adding UConn to the Big 12, although his opinion changes a little at the end.

I love watching when Power program talking heads read the facts about our AD vs. the awful PR we have allowed to happen over the past decade from football alone. Their reactions are shocked that our AD would generate more revenue than Oregon state as a whole with football being INDY. More of them should do their homework.... additionally UConn does an absolutely terrible job marketing itself except in moments of criticality. They never get out ahead of the curve... but then again we've all seen how the marketing team operates.

Reaction Score
This.

I'm a little afraid to admit that I've read every post ever made on the realignment board. And not "mark this forum read" read. Every f'ng word.
Me too.

Reaction Score

Assisted <<<

-> So at one point, whether it’s the Big 12 or some conglomeration of ACC programs in a couple years or something altogether different, UConn’s base of operations is unlikely to forever be the Big East. Leadership on the Storrs campus has been, remains so, and will be aggressively proactive in seeking a more lucrative landing spot for its athletic program, no matter the men’s basketball success since a return to the Big East in 2020.

In the romance versus revenue debate, only revenue guarantees a level playing field decades into the future. Had UConn athletic director David Benedict and Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark had their wish, a partnership between university and conference would have been announced a year ago.

That flirtation was real. Big 12 presidents shot it down. The conference went one way with Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. UConn went another, on to an historic season on the men’s basketball side, another Final Four on the women’s side, with punch-above-their-weight success across the board within its Big East profile.<-

A lot more with-in the article ^^

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Assisted <<<

-> So at one point, whether it’s the Big 12 or some conglomeration of ACC programs in a couple years or something altogether different, UConn’s base of operations is unlikely to forever be the Big East. Leadership on the Storrs campus has been, remains so, and will be aggressively proactive in seeking a more lucrative landing spot for its athletic program, no matter the men’s basketball success since a return to the Big East in 2020.

In the romance versus revenue debate, only revenue guarantees a level playing field decades into the future. Had UConn athletic director David Benedict and Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark had their wish, a partnership between university and conference would have been announced a year ago.

That flirtation was real. Big 12 presidents shot it down. The conference went one way with Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. UConn went another, on to an historic season on the men’s basketball side, another Final Four on the women’s side, with punch-above-their-weight success across the board within its Big East profile.<-

IMG_3984.jpeg

It's good that reporters are saying the quiet part out loud lately about the inequity of the schools relationship with the CDRA and how that impacts the athletic departments perception in discussions of its viability as a candidate for realignment.

Also, I know that the article says that we renegotiated our exit fee down from $30,000,000 to $15,000,000 in a couple years. In actuality there was no renegotiation. The fee was always $30 million for the first six years and then $15 million if an exit took place in years seven through nine and there after it drops to $10 million.

Reaction Score
Its funny to me that people are arguing about whether or not we should accept a b12 invite. Its like me arguing if I would be better off with Jennifer Connelly or Rachel Leigh Cooke.

They're not even options available to me
Connelly back in the day but she's anorexic now. Rachel Leigh Cook has held up very well, so I accept her. She's going to be so psyched when she sees I accepted her, lucky gal.

Reaction Score

Assisted <<<

At least he tried to get some info:

Discussions on Tuesday and Wednesday with numerous people in and around the UConn athletic operation yielded nothing substantially new on the topic, reaction ranging from “haven’t heard a thing” to “it’s all a continuation” and “nothing has changed.”

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen any official statement from anyone contradicting the booster. If not true you would think they’d say something. Only thing contradictory is coming from some dumb Boneyard posters trying to laugh it off.
Seriously? You think the school has nothing better to do than respond to anonymous, unsourced rumors started on social media?

Reaction Score
I love the boldness of saying “I’ve run the numbers”, then providing zero numerical support for your argument. Peak Boneyard. Cmon boys, let’s get this nothingburger thread up to 20 pages!
Ok, just for you... here is last season's avg tv viewership in millions per game...

20240821_170959.jpg

Reaction Score
I believe the Big East Contract opened some eyes . If The Big East
average is $7,000,000 it does not mean the Market Value of each team is equal
to that number
I like to play around with numbers and I created a simple spread sheet with weighted values .This obviously is an image but on the sheet I could model various weights as long as totals stay constant. .
UConn Value to a conference is huge because of the success of men’s and women’s basketball. whose games get as high or higher ratings than many men’s games. If UConn value is anywhere near this value in a Conference of smaller privates what’s it’s worth to power conferences just for basketball
So the fact that we are more attractive than we have been lead to believe is pretty
factual
UConn‘s 2 is based on 1.4 weight for men .6 for women which is pretty difficult to argue with. DePaul gets a zero because they can be replaced by most any team without effect
View attachment 103017
LOL at DePaul at $0. As funny as that is, even the Washington Generals get paid because winning teams can only be winning team if they have losers to play.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You think the school has nothing better to do than respond to anonymous, unsourced rumors started on social media?
Ok, fair enough statement, but just the same thanks for proving my original point.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sure. The P6 was the creation of Mike Aresco in an attempt to elevate his program, which was on the outside, looking in at the P5. The P3 designation is an attempt by the big 12 to define itself as a peer to the big 10 and the SEC. Both are opportunistic fictions from people in the outside, looking in.
Ok, I think we are in agreement with this.

Reaction Score
Arguing about whether or not there was a P6 is the most non key thing ever.

Reaction Score
Ok, I think we are in agreement with this.

I think it’s more that the Big 12 is trying to distinguish itself from the ACC.

While the ACC still has Clemson, Free Shoes U and Miami that’s a tough sell. Utah might be the only program that has that kind of potential upside.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I forgot I was paying for Storrs Central to support the NIL and went over there to see if any Big 12 buzz.

Two threads with three posts between them asking anyone for insider info and no info to be found :rolleyes:
Escobar Spe GIF by hero0fwar

Reaction Score
I love watching when Power program talking heads read the facts about our AD vs. the awful PR we have allowed to happen over the past decade from football alone. Their reactions are shocked that our AD would generate more revenue than Oregon state as a whole with football being INDY. More of them should do their homework.... additionally UConn does an absolutely terrible job marketing itself except in moments of criticality. They never get out ahead of the curve... but then again we've all seen how the marketing team operates.
There's a faction that thinks it is still 1999.

Reaction Score
Here's the catch... P3 is a Myth. There is only P2. Big12 as far as football is concerned are a jumping stone to the B1G and SEC.
The Big XII doesn't need to be on the same playing field as the B1G and SEC. It just has to dwarf the ACC. That's why going wide and in large numbers makes sense for the Big XII as long as it can get household brands.

Reaction Score
The Big XII doesn't need to be on the same playing field as the B1G and SEC. It just has to dwarf the ACC. That's why going wide and in large numbers makes sense for the Big XII as long as it can get household brands.
Makes me wonder if the ACC on behalf of other member schools would wind up counter suing Clemson and FSU if they claim that the ACC's value was diminished as a result of the Big XII making moves while it was forced to defend itself in these lawsuits and as a result the other ACC conference members have had their own values decreased as a result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom