UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 52 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
UConn football has be "a few years away" over and over forever, and most recently since they they got crushed in the Fiesta Bowl.
I agree with Alphasigko. And when was the Fieata Bowl? 10 or 15 years ago? I am 70 and never recall UConn being good top 20 or 25 at any point in my lifetime. So anyone who trots out that old trope, needs to stop.

Reaction Score
UConn will need to build an on-campus stadium at some point if it wants to continue with FBS Football. Something to bring the football atmosphere to campus and facilities to enhance the campus.

The only way The Rent works going forward is if they did something similar, not the same, but similar to Foxboro. Foxboro has Gillette Stadium with multiple tennants and Patriot Place with shops and restaurants. Having a shell football stadium doesn't work and dumping a ton of money into the location is a bad investment all around. The Hartford Athletic already have it's new home. Everything we do in CT screams of the wrong approach.

Reaction Score
I agree with Alphasigko. And when was the Fieata Bowl? 10 or 15 years ago? I am 70 and never recall UConn being good top 20 or 25 at any point in my lifetime. So anyone who trots out that old trope, needs to stop.
Well it was true. We were fringe top 25 when we were at the apex of our rise in the Big East. I think that is what makes where we are feel worst. I remember us beating South Carolina in a bowl game in Alabama and I was amazed as I never thought we would get to that level. Now we are lucky to beat the a JV High School football team in South Carolina. LOL! The talent level and coaching is abysmal now compared to back then.

Reaction Score
Split your guess down the middle. LOL
Our Fiesta Bowl was 1-1-2011.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well it was true. We were fringe top 25 when we were at the apex of our rise in the Big East. I think that is what makes where we are feel worst. I remember us beating South Carolina in a bowl game in Alabama and I was amazed as I never thought we would get to that level. Now we are lucky to beat the a JV High School football team in South Carolina. LOL! The talent level and coaching is abysmal now compared to back then.
And many other big wins. Everyone remembers beating Notre Dame in South Bend, etc. We dominated Syracuse for a long stretch in the Big East. Multiple bowl victories and a bunch of people sent to the NFL.

The old saying was that playing UConn would get your coach fired. But once our conference broke up, the only coaches that were getting fired were ours. We need that conference...

Reaction Score
That is the most recent version of being "a few years away". That phrase has been repeated over and over since I attended my 1st Husky football game in the fall of 1969.
1969 to 2003 is immaterial.

Reaction Score
You don't know what ramp-up for football the Big 12 is/was proposing.

Your pro-Big 12 argument is primarily based on a massive revenue bump for basketball that may be a complete fantasy. I would love $15 million/year or $20MM or $500MM or whatever fantasy number people want to throw out, but there is no evidence we are getting that.

No one knows what the implications of the House settlement would be, making jumping at the first offer we get potentially a massive mistake. What happens if the elite academic schools bail on major sports? What happens if, as seems increasingly possible, football splits off from other sports? Committing to the Big 12 would have been a massive mistake under those circumstances.
Jumping at the first offer? Lolz. What other offers are you waiting on.

Obviously if we're not making any more money in the Big 12 and we don't get any guarantees to join as a full football member years down the road we're not going to do it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1969 to 2003 is immaterial.
Honestly, thank you for saying that. Nobody is bragging about Yale dominating college football for years except for people at Yale. We need to focus on what a modern day UConn football program can accomplish, and we got a good dose of that during the Big East years just a little more than a decade ago...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn will need to build an on-campus stadium at some point if it wants to continue with FBS Football. Something to bring the football atmosphere to campus and facilities to enhance the campus.

The only way The Rent works going forward is if they did something similar, not the same, but similar to Foxboro. Foxboro has Gillette Stadium with multiple tennants and Patriot Place with shops and restaurants. Having a shell football stadium doesn't work and dumping a ton of money into the location is a bad investment all around. The Hartford Athletic already have it's new home. Everything we do in CT screams of the wrong approach.

There is not a football program in the country that can predict its cash flows from football with any accuracy more than one year in advance. UConn is not building a stadium anywhere near Mansfield for a long time. We have to make Rentschler work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Easy there. That's 10 touchdowns. UConn only lost by 7 touchdowns. :cool:
True, though that was mostly due to Maryland largess rather than Connecticut aptitude.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is not a football program in the country that can predict its cash flows from football with any accuracy more than one year in advance. UConn is not building a stadium anywhere near Mansfield for a long time. We have to make Rentschler work.
Rare that I agree with you. The Rent is already the same size as a lot of Big XII stadiums. It's not the issue. If UConn gets an invite and if we start winning games, then we can consider whether a new stadium on campus makes sense. Probably as part of a larger build-out of Mansfield. The state would need to step in, Mansfield has held UConn back for too long. The state could use some development in the area.

Orc

Reaction Score
so when are we joining the Big 12 again?
It seems the beatdown that Uconn FB team received over the weekend has silenced all realignment talks sigh

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Questions to your answers

1. Competitive at that level? What year(s) was that? Was it done over a number of years or just a few?
2. Fair comment.
3. I didn’t see what the yearly payout would be for football. Was it published?
4. I never said the Big East was better than the B12 in basketball.
5. I believe during this same topic discussion last year, the B12 does in fact have minimum requirements for their teams’ stadiums such as minimum seating. Nevertheless, if we are going to make a long term item to football the state and university needs to build an on campus stadium. We can’t do what we’ve always done in Connecticut which is take the cheap way out. Trying up upgrade Gampel when we should be building a new stadium, upgrading (not even sure this is the right word) the Civic Center. Waste of time and money. How many schools in the Big 10 or 12 play its home football games not on campus? If we have big dreams, then act big. You ask if I’ve been to the Rent. Yes. Have you ever been to the Big House, Randall stadium in Madison, Mich St? I have. There’s no comparison.
Question to your question.

How is item number four a question?

Reaction Score
All due respect, if Yomark can't get the B12 presidents to agree to extend an invite to UConn, THE basketball brand, at a severe discount, he is not going to get them to extend one to St Johns or Villanova.

There's a 0.01% chance that any non UConn BE school moves conferences.
You would be wrong there.

Let’s say Brett wants nyc market for hoops. They say no to UConn, or UConn basketball people scuttle a move.

He then says, ok let’s take Villanova and St John’s to get a share of the northeast that we can sell for hoops centric contract. Improves hoops, market, doesn’t dilute football.

ACC then loses Florida state or Clemson. They decide to add Navy football and Georgetown basketball to return to the Maryland market.

Things like that is what we are going to see happen, imo.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You would be wrong there.

Let’s say Brett wants nyc market for hoops. They say no to UConn, or UConn basketball people scuttle a move.

He then says, ok let’s take Villanova and St John’s to get a share of the northeast that we can sell for hoops centric contract. Improves hoops, market, doesn’t dilute football.

ACC then loses Florida state or Clemson. They decide to add Navy football and Georgetown basketball to return to the Maryland market.

Things like that is what we are going to see happen, imo.
This type of doomsday scenario is the only one where UConn should offer itself all sports minus football. Until then, have to at least try and include it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom