UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 54 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
I want them to be successful. Share your salvation plan with us.
there is no plan that is in UConn control. Have to get into a power conference or lower expectations to compete at a non p4 level, which meansmore games like Saturday.

i think 7 wins against a schedule they have this year is what u are targeting.

what I won’t do is make every touchdown against a referendum. Every game for the last decade has had the if we lose it hurts the entire athletic department.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how some people just see things differently.
Many years ago, there were people that said ‘nobody is ever going to UConn to play basketball. How will we compete?’

I suppose we could have listened to those people back then. Thank goodness we didn’t though.
And I hope the university again makes the smart decision to compete at the highest level of athletics and not listen to people afraid of change.

Your arguments are literally made up. Terms of the deal don’t exist because there isn’t a deal yet. A) you don’t know what the money situation is. B) who said we can’t play at the rent? C) football would be given 5 years to beef up the program. If you remember the plan to join Big East, there was a similar plan to build the roster. UConn actually joined earlier due to ACC defections.

Let the process work. If there is a deal that works for both sides, it will work. UConn isn’t giving away BB, and will work to get best deal possible.
North Carolina has not won the acc in football since 1981.
maybe they should give up the program because they can’t compete.

Reaction Score
UConn already does compete with other stellar programs except for football. We will never be competitive at that level. Did you all see the terms of the potential offer? No football in the B2 for 7 years. Meaning no football sharing revenue until then. Those who say we need to get a seat at the table now are missing key realities. Shall I list them? 1. Whats really in it for us to join a B12 if we can’t benefit from their football revenue now? 7 years of not seeing $25M per year. How is this different than where we are now? 2. The college conference probably will look very different from today. Who says the B12 doesn’t renege/change their collective mind over a 7 year period. 3. Someone please explain to me how our football program competes in the B12? Again, flashback to losses against Michigan, Tennessee and Maryland. Do you all want to be the DePaul of the B12? We will be 3-9 or 4-8 this year with likely wins over Marymount, UMass and some other nothing school. 4. Who’s going to pay for a new stadium? The B12 won’t allow us to play in our embarrassment of a football stadium. Yormark is the smart one. He obtains the 2 best men’s and women’s basketball programs in the country in return for nothing. If we ever get an offer, I hope to hell someone here knows how to negotiate because no league deserves our brand/cache, without paying a premium.
I think Uconn FB will ultimately be competitive at that level. The showed it when they were competitive in a power FB conference before. Flashback to the Big East championship, winning seasons, frequent sell outs, multiple bowl wins, wins at Notre Dame, Baylor, Iowa St, etc.

True, it takes significant investment to get back there & that investment would be tough to justify it if you don’t have a guaranteed pathway to P4. But if they get & accept an invite, you can assume the athletic dept. thinks the investment is well worth the rights to future P4 revenues. Yes, there’s risk but not a lot because the B12 has excellent men’s and women’s BB too. Plus the long term alternative probably means being left out of the mix of major college sports.

Finally I don’t see the Rent as “an embarrassment of a football stadium”. With some upgrades, it can serve as a decent power conference stadium for 10+ years. The main problem is it’s not on campus but they don’t need to address that now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Dan would be playing Bobby. Not sure how Christmas dinner would be

Reaction Score
Yes it would. I guess every league needs doormats. Is that what you’re saying? Do you actually enjoy watching beat downs at the hand of middle of the road opponents? I don’t. Had to turn it off after the first quarter. It only got worse after that.
No. I’m saying our overall record is irrelevant to the discussion. We wouldn’t be an outlier in the Big 12 in that regard.

Our recruiting would definitely improve, and I wouldn’t expect us to be a doormat.

We were a respectable program and we can get back there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I personally see it as brilliance in its simplicity.

Basically hiding in plain sight.
Oh it's dumb... just so dumb it might work!

Reaction Score
What additional B12 money?
Look, we don't know the details of the deal. But presumably we would be getting money in 2031 when we would be joining for football. That is when the Big 12 media contract renews.

I get that you don't like the Big12. But that's the only deal out there. You want the ACC but that isn't happening. At least Yormark is being creative and trying to make something happen.

Reaction Score
I agree with Alphasigko. And when was the Fieata Bowl? 10 or 15 years ago? I am 70 and never recall UConn being good top 20 or 25 at any point in my lifetime. So anyone who trots out that old trope, needs to stop.
Roughly the same age as you. You are either FOS or willfully ignorant. UConn was ranked as high as #2 well within your memory. The program already proved it to you . As a mediocre at best D1AA program with an invitation to a power conference and proper investment, they became a competitive program within that conference. Articles were written on its rapid rise. Its been done, no need to show you anything. Your precious basketball program needed to be in a power basketball conference, so does the football program.

Reaction Score
Roughly the same age as you. You are either FOS or willfully ignorant. UConn was ranked as high as #2 well within your memory. The program already proved it to you . As a mediocre at best D1AA program with an invitation to a power conference and proper investment, they became a competitive program within that conference. Articles were written on its rapid rise. Its been done, no need to show you anything. Your precious basketball program needed to be in a power basketball conference, so does the football program.
Please cite in what year and in which national Poll UConn was ever ranked #2 in the country.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Rapid rise, yes. #2, no.

Reaction Score
Rapid rise, yes. #2, no.

Yes, these are the 2 results that I found as well.

Reaction Score
I said this before :
I was semi living in the Kentucky around 2000.
I stopped in the break room and sat with the inner core 1/2 dozen UK fans who had accepted me into their ranks.
I mentioned that UConn was spending $100,000,000 to join the Big East in football which was a top conference at the time. I was a little
skeptical of the move. That was the first time I was told that doing it was a no brainer as UK made a lot more money from football than basketball which shocked me.
Fast forward to a couple of years later , I hadn’t given the issue much thought as I was heavily involved in work.
I did go on an early November Cruise out of San. Juan and my wife and I and a bunch of people , I assume Connecticut residents , were delayed at the airport awaiting our return to Bradley .
It was a Saturday and the announcer was giving US college football scores over terminal PA
When UConn 30 Navy 0 was announced a loud roar went up and I thought to myself maybe I was wrong and the people of CT ( the most passionate sports fans in the country ) will make this team theirs just like basketball. I don't mean just the folks at Storrs
I mean the bar owner in New Haven or the Teacher in Trumbull the average Connecticut sports fan .
We all know things happened to hurt that dream but it doesn’t mean that the desire isn’t still there.
We‘re Yankee, Red Sox , Mets , Giants , Pats. Bruins , Rangers , Islander fans
But their Logo‘s say NY , Boston or something else not Connecticut .
I think that’s why us old Whaler Fans are still bitter because they were ours and it were taken away.
I always thought that if the right set of events happened ,Connecticut residents would embrace that event in a big way.
It may happen but even if it never does it doesn’t mean it the spark never existed.

Reaction Score
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/09/03/big-12-uconn-update

Back door

“As one Big 12 source characterized the potential move, the league needs Yormark long-term. Appeasing the commissioner, for lack of better wording, in snagging the northeast member he desperately craves isn’t the worst thing in ensuring he sticks around for years to come.”
We all know the value of UConn but is there a reason Yormark specifically has been so interested in us when nobody else has?

Was UConn WBB really averaging more views than the Nets? Was this during his tenure?

B12

Reaction Score
Few thoughts.

There is a difference in being ranked in the top 25, 10, etc and being a top 25 program. That's typically done over several years or more. He is accurate that UConn has never been a top 25 FB program in spite of being ranked in the top 25 some weeks.

I remember when I brought this up a year or two ago and most here preferred the Big East. LMAO.

Now suddenly people are singing a different tune as they are finally seeing what I pointed out then. The Big East is not sustainable long term for UConn and there is no path for UConn to be an indy in FB long term. The TV exposure and making what 500k for TV.

So what options does UConn have

1. Stay in the BE doing well in BB but slowly seeing the conference decline as NIL takes over. Being the king of a conference most of the country has no idea who is even a member in. FS1 games which is another channel on a slow decline. Making what 6 million for OLY and 500k for FB. 6.5 which is G-5 money. Huge subsidy in spite of success and an AD that can't raise $.

2. Big East with FB in MAC. Not much better but it's an improvement. At least UConn could compete for CC's and hope to be in the new tweener division once the P-4 break away.

3. PAC 2/3 in FB.

4. Big 12 with some sort of FB option, scheduling agreement, etc. With even a few home B12 games the TV deal for UConn FB is a lot more attractive. Full membership in the future is by far the best option for UConn FB. UConn and Gonzaga as Oly members would really make the B12 fun.

5. ACC as a backfill. I do not see them adding UConn now, but if FSU and Clemson leave then UConn, Stanford, Cal, etc become real options. Although I think UConn might be #3 in that scenario as you can't really take just Cal or Stanford, they seem like a package deal. But that also means other ACC members leave IMO so that is a depleted ACC at best. I expect Miami, UNC, Virginia, Ga Tech to go B1G.

At this point the B12 is the best option to play at a high level. The ACC after losing FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Miami, etc is really not a P-4 conference. It sure seems that ESPN is happy letting the ACC litigate itself to death. ESPN does not view FSU or Clemson as competition for the SEC so they they need to find another hiding spot for them.

IF somehow UConn ended up in a conference with KU, Baylor, Arizona, Houston, WVU, Cinci, maybe even FSU, Clemson, NCSt, Louisville, etc that would be the best possible outcome for UConn IMO.

The real issue is can UConn compete as the ACC was a disaster and this is some of the best AAC teams plus more who have a lot of resources compared to UConn.

Another question to ask is if there is a P-4 breakaway in all sports why would they include the Big East? I can't think of any reason why they would want to share the pie with those teams. That's likely the direction this is going with different levels of compensation for players which is a game UConn does not want to try to keep up with looking at the massive subsidy that already exists and lack of donors willing to pay up for the AD to thrive.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts.

There is a difference in being ranked in the top 25, 10, etc and being a top 25 program. That's typically done over several years or more. He is accurate that UConn has never been a top 25 FB program in spite of being ranked in the top 25 some weeks.

I remember when I brought this up a year or two ago and most here preferred the Big East. LMAO.

Now suddenly people are singing a different tune as they are finally seeing what I pointed out then. The Big East is not sustainable long term for UConn and there is no path for UConn to be an indy in FB long term. The TV exposure and making what 500k for TV.

1. Stay in the BE doing well in BB but slowly seeing the conference decline as NIL takes over. Being the king of a conference most of the country has no idea who is even a member in. FS1 games which is another channel on a slow decline. Making what 6 million for OLY and 500k for FB. 6.5 which is G-5 money. Huge subsidy in spite of success and an AD that can't raise $.

2. Big East with FB in MAC. Not much better but it's an improvement. At least UConn could compete for CC's and hope to be in the new tweener division once the P-4 break away.

3. PAC 2/3 in FB.

4. Big 12 with some sort of FB option, scheduling agreement, etc. With even a few home B12 games the TV deal for UConn FB is a lot more attractive. Full membership in the future is by far the best option for UConn FB. UConn and Gonzaga as Oly members would really make the B12 fun.

5. ACC as a backfill. I do not see them adding UConn now, but if FSU and Clemson leave then UConn, Stanford, Cal, etc become real options. Although I think UConn might be #3 in that scenario as you can't really take just Cal or Stanford, they seem like a package deal. But that also means other ACC members leave IMO so that is a depleted ACC at best. I expect Miami, UNC, Virginia, Ga Tech to go B1G.

At this point the B12 is the best option to play at a high level. The ACC after losing FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Miami, etc is really not a P-4 conference. It sure seems that ESPN is happy letting the ACC litigate itself to death. ESPN does not view FSU or Clemson as competition for the SEC so they they need to find another hiding spot for them.

IF somehow UConn ended up in a conference with KU, Baylor, Arizona, Houston, WVU, Cinci, maybe even FSU, Clemson, NCSt, Louisville, etc that would be the best possible outcome for UConn IMO.

The real issue is can UConn compete as the ACC was a disaster and this is some of the best AAC teams plus more who have a lot of resources compared to UConn.

Another question to ask is if there is a P-4 breakaway in all sports why would they include the Big East? I can't think of any reason why they would want to share the pie with those teams. That's likely the direction this is going with different levels of compensation for players which is a game UConn does not want to try to keep up with looking at the massive subsidy that already exists and lack of donors willing to pay up for the AD to thrive.
Most of the country has no clue who is in the Big 12 as well. UConn wouldn't compete right away in football but they would in time, the Big 12 is solid in football but no great programs. We would be the best basketball program in the conference immediately.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts.

3. PAC 2/3 in FB.

You seem a little behind on point #5...

B12

Reaction Score
Dude, being ranked for a week is not the same as being a top 25 program. That's clearly what he was saying.

You insecure fans always resort to defending and it's really lame. Just be honest. UConn had that one amazing season when the Big East was down but they have never really been a top 25 program.

The same is true for ISU. They had a lucky year, have been ranked at times, but have never been a top 25 FB program like say a TCU, Baylor, UCF, or OSU have been at times over several year periods.

The Big East was great and all but was really not a power conference for all practical purposes. Teams like WVU have also had a lot of trouble since those days in the BE. In fact now that I think about it those Big East teams have really not had much success since then. Cuse, WVU, Pitt, South Florida, and Rutgers are all crap programs since then. Only Louisville and Cinci have had any success. That version of the Big east was G-5, and all were down that year. So it was really not so much about UConn being a legit P-6 team.

Reaction Score
Dude, being ranked for a week is not the same as being a top 25 program. That's clearly what he was saying.

You insecure fans always resort to defending and it's really lame. Just be honest. UConn had that one amazing season when the Big East was down but they have never really been a top 25 program.

The same is true for ISU. They had a lucky year, have been ranked at times, but have never been a top 25 FB program like say a TCU, Baylor, UCF, or OSU have been at times over several year periods.

The Big East was great and all but was really not a power conference for all practical purposes. Teams like WVU have also had a lot of trouble since those days in the BE. In fact now that I think about it those Big East teams have really not had much success since then. Cuse, WVU, Pitt, South Florida, and Rutgers are all crap programs since then. Only Louisville and Cinci have had any success. That version of the Big east was G-5, and all were down that year. So it was really not so much about UConn being a legit P-6 team.
Totally, those Miami teams had no talent. Va Tech and WVU has no talent either. The Big East was little sisters of the poor in football and basketball.

B12

Reaction Score
Most of the country has no clue who is in the Big 12 as well. UConn wouldn't compete right away in football but they would in time, the Big 12 is solid in football but no great programs. We would be the best basketball program in the conference immediately.
With all due respect sir that's simply not accurate.

The Big 12 is a national conference with teams that are well known. Much more well known than small private bible schools. The B12 simply have more alumni, fans, etc. as large public programs and rich privates.

IMO KU is a bigger brand than UConn. That's why KU makes 30+ million for TV and UConn makes 6.5.

UConn has certainly had a lot of success, that is for sure. But they lack the fan support, boosters, finances, etc to really compare to programs like KU, UNC, etc

There is a reason UConn is still not in a power conference. TV partners did not miss the valuation on UConn. UConn is simply not that valuable overall due to FB being 75% of the TV value.

B12

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom