UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 50 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
Are you comparing UConn to buffalo?

Hurley makes more than Oats. He’s the second or third highest paid college bball coach and Only 10 or 11 college football coaches make more than $8.3mill/year.
It is not sustainable. Hurley knows that, Geno knows that. Geno is hoping that UConn get’s into a better conference before he retires, otherwise it’s over. UConn needs an invite soon or else UConn will just slowly fade away.

Reaction Score
@superjohn- I’m starting to get the feeling that if UConn doesn’t get into a power conference and has to cut football, then some of the football fans on this board will be subconsciously rooting for the men’s and women’s bball programs to fail as well. The number of overly confident doomsday prophets is really suspect.

Reaction Score
Ok, but Georgetown was many X better than Villanova back in the day. Villanova may be the worst team in the league aside from DePaul, which is also a historic basketball power with rich tradition. So Nova can absolutely suck for a long time and will if they don’t fire Neptune yesterday. Dom Perno >>>>>>>> Neptune. He’s that bad.

I‘m not saying the league is doomed. But the post I replied to suggested something crazy. The truth is the Big XII without UConn is better than the Big East with UConn. If UConn makes the move, no conference is even close. The time will come, and we’ve seen it already with Nate Oates to Bama, when the basketball only schools can’t afford the coaches anymore. We are on borrowed time. You know that.
Neptune sucks but Nova certainly isn't Georgetown bad, Georgetown was 2-18 in the league this past season.

I'll take Nova's history over Georgetown's any day. Georgetown was great in the 80's and the best Georgetown team ever lost the national championship to Nova. Georgetown never really sustained their success.

I've heard this refrain on this board that the Big East won't be able to get and keep good coaches and the Big East won't be able to compete for a lot of years now and yet the Big East has the best crop of coaches and UConn and Nova have won 6 of the last 13 NCAA tournaments. There's something to be said for a league that knows what it is and that is all about basketball. It's still very appealing to a lot of coaches and players. You ragged on Providence but look at some of the recruits they're bringing in. I want us in the Big 12 but we aren't going anywhere if we remain in the Big East. It will force us to get serious about completely dropping football and cutting some women's sports which would suck.

These Big East coaches aren't coaching for free. Dan Hurley turned down Kentucky and the Lakers and he's the second highest paid coach in college basketball, Jay Wright turned down everyone and was the fifth highest paid coach in college basketball.

Reaction Score
It is not sustainable. Hurley knows that, Geno knows that. Geno is hoping that UConn get’s into a better conference before he retires, otherwise it’s over. UConn needs an invite soon or else UConn will just slowly fade away.
Well thankfully UConn is a nonprofit institution and will save over $20mill per year by cutting football and the corresponding 6 title ix women’s teams. With those savings UConn/the state can keep funding the bball programs for decades to come.

Reaction Score
Hurley knows that, it's why he just turned down Kentucky and the Los Angelas Lakers and signed a 6 year contract with UConn.

Reaction Score
Well thankfully UConn is a nonprofit institution and will save over $20mill per year by cutting football and the corresponding 6 title ix women’s teams. With those savings UConn/the state can keep funding the bball programs for decades to come.
I don’t have a problem with that. I will continue to support UConn until my dying day. UConn won’t be playing the major programs, and it will be at a lower tier of athletics, but I won’t have a problem with that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've heard this refrain on this board that the Big East won't be able to get and keep good coaches and the Big East won't be able to compete for a lot of years now and yet the Big East has the best crop of coaches and UConn and Nova have won 6 of the last 13 NCAA tournaments.
Yes, Nova & UConn have won six of the past thirteen tournaments but today's Villanova appears no closer to a deep tournament run than the 2014 UConn football team was to a Fiesta bowl invitation.

I personally believe (for a number of reasons) that most BE schools will always be able to get quality coaches. Keeping them however is a different issue and aside from the two schools that have recently won national titles, Creighton may be the only one that can say that a quality, successful coach over the past decade or more hasn't moved on to greener pastures.

Xavier has been a stepping stone from at least the Pete Gillen says. Marquette lost Crean and Buzz. Butler lost Brad Stevens and Providence lost Pitino, Barnes, Gillen and Cooley (their only coaches that didn't move on were coaches they fired).

I'm not sure there is enough gravitas among the bulk of the schools in the conference to hold on to quality coaches.

Reaction Score
Hurley knows that, it's why he just turned down Kentucky and the Los Angelas Lakers and signed a 6 year contract with UConn.
6 years is hardly long term sustainability y. Also, Hurley can leave whenever he wants.

Reaction Score
Yes, Nova & UConn have won six of the past thirteen tournaments but today's Villanova appears no closer to a deep tournament run than the 2014 UConn football team was to a Fiesta bowl invitation.

I personally believe (for a number of reasons) that most BE schools will always be able to get quality coaches. Keeping them however is a different issue and aside from the two schools that have recently won national titles, Creighton may be the only one that can say that a quality, successful coach over the past decade or more hasn't moved on to greener pastures.

Xavier has been a stepping stone from at least the Pete Gillen says. Marquette lost Crean and Buzz. Butler lost Brad Stevens and Providence lost Pitino, Barnes, Gillen and Cooley (their only coaches that didn't move on were coaches they fired).

I'm not sure there is enough gravitas among the bulk of the schools in the conference to hold on to quality coaches.
And Shaka Smart quit Texas to coach Marquette.

I'm not sure what point you're making with Nova. Just about every program in the country isn't competing for a national championship. They won two of them recently, the Big 10 hasn't won one in 23 straight tournaments. I don't know why they stayed in house and hired Neptune but it's a mistake great programs seem to make over and over again. He should've been canned after this past season, if he sucks again this year he'll be canned and they'll go after the best coaches in the country.

Reaction Score
I don’t have a problem with that. I will continue to support UConn until my dying day. UConn won’t be playing the major programs, and it will be at a lower tier of athletics, but I won’t have a problem with that.
UConn basketball won't be playing the major programs and it will be at a lower tier of athletics?

Reaction Score
If the p3 breaks away for football they’ll make all the money they ever dreamed of and there would be no need to mess with March madness. nothing beyond tourney expansion has ever been uttered and doing so would hurt themselves in the long run. No one wants a p3 only tourney. Id boycott watching that even if UConn were included.
The big money schools do not care whether central Connecticut state gets a big dance invite.

The groups in charge just killed off the pac 12, the home of the rose bowl and ucla basketball.

they got no problem killing the big east and all the mid major programs. Yormark is going to touch off another raid of big East. If it isn’t UConn, St. John and Villanova are next in line to conferences who want to add markets and basketball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And Shaka Smart quit Texas to coach Marquette.

I'm not sure what point you're making with Nova. Just about every program in the country isn't competing for a national championship. They won two of them recently, the Big 10 hasn't won one in 23 straight tournaments. I don't know why they stayed in house and hired Neptune but it's a mistake great programs seem to make over and over again. He should've been canned after this past season, if he sucks again this year he'll be canned and they'll go after the best coaches in the country.
Shaka quit?

My point is that Nova at the moment is suspect at best and in that state they are the only possibility after us as a program with any weight.

Reaction Score
The big money schools do not care whether central Connecticut state gets a big dance invite.

The groups in charge just killed off the pac 12, the home of the rose bowl and ucla basketball.

they got no problem killing the big east and all the mid major programs. Yormark is going to touch off another raid of big East. If it isn’t UConn, St. John and Villanova are next in line to conferences who want to add markets and basketball.
All due respect, if Yomark can't get the B12 presidents to agree to extend an invite to UConn, THE basketball brand, at a severe discount, he is not going to get them to extend one to St Johns or Villanova.

There's a 0.01% chance that any non UConn BE school moves conferences.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread contains all the insanity that I thought it would. You have folks in here arguing that the Big East is effectively a P4 conference.

Folks, the thing that makes a P4 conference (or P3, or whatever number) is MONEY! I'm having a really hard time understanding why folks don't understand this. Wake Forest has more money to dump into their bball than Nova. UCF has more money to dump into their bball than Marquette. It's a simple as that, folks.

If we get an invite, we're gone. And folks should be extremely happy if we do, because it means that all our great athletic programs will maintain their competitive balance...

Reaction Score
And they will enjoy being irrelevant in a power 3 world.

Reaction Score
All due respect, if Yomark can't get the B12 presidents to agree to extend an invite to UConn, THE basketball brand, at a severe discount, he is not going to get them to extend one to St Johns or Villanova.

There's a 0.01% chance that any non UConn BE school moves conferences.
if the other BE schools were valuable the B12 would already be talking them up, they aren't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This thread contains all the insanity that I thought it would. You have folks in here arguing that the Big East is effectively a P4 conference.

Folks, the thing that makes a P4 conference (or P3, or whatever number) is MONEY! I'm having a really hard time understanding why folks don't understand this. Wake Forest has more money to dump into their bball than Nova. UCF has more money to dump into their bball than Marquette. It's a simple as that, folks.

If we get an invite, we're gone. And folks should be extremely happy if we do, because it means that all our great athletic programs will maintain their competitive balance...

I think you don’t understand the difference between revenue and profit, because if you did, you would understand which measure of MONEY we should be looking at.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Neptune sucks but Nova certainly isn't Georgetown bad, Georgetown was 2-18 in the league this past season.

I'll take Nova's history over Georgetown's any day. Georgetown was great in the 80's and the best Georgetown team ever lost the national championship to Nova. Georgetown never really sustained their success.

I've heard this refrain on this board that the Big East won't be able to get and keep good coaches and the Big East won't be able to compete for a lot of years now and yet the Big East has the best crop of coaches and UConn and Nova have won 6 of the last 13 NCAA tournaments. There's something to be said for a league that knows what it is and that is all about basketball. It's still very appealing to a lot of coaches and players. You ragged on Providence but look at some of the recruits they're bringing in. I want us in the Big 12 but we aren't going anywhere if we remain in the Big East. It will force us to get serious about completely dropping football and cutting some women's sports which would suck.

These Big East coaches aren't coaching for free. Dan Hurley turned down Kentucky and the Lakers and he's the second highest paid coach in college basketball, Jay Wright turned down everyone and was the fifth highest paid coach in college basketball.
Georgetown was much better than Nova for a long time. Then Wright came. I never ragged on PC, I consider them the one useful local rival in the league. I’d like to keep playing them if we go Big 12. English looks like an upgrade on Cooley. Neptune has Nova firmly out of the tournament until he’s gone.

You keep ignoring the point I responded to. Do you think the Big East is a better basketball league than the Big XII? Because that’s simply not true, with or without UConn. The Big East does a good job developing coaches. There are many good ones, and some like Shaka failed elsewhere and are comfortable. McDermott is old he won’t leave. Pitino obviously is at his last stop. Miller was fired at Arizona. Dan turned down Kentucky and the Lakers because he’s a New Jersey Hurley.

The Big East is a good league. It will remain that. It’s not the best league.

Reaction Score
The Big East is sustainable until it isn't. The problem becomes when the house settlement is finalized and schools will be allowed to pay players. The current cap # is a payroll of around $22M annually. UConn can't afford $22M annually on their current TV contract and revenues. It's going to hurt UConn more than others because UConn also has to pay football players. Villanova and Providence may be able to get away with $5-$8M because they don't have FBS football.

Reaction Score
If the p3 breaks away for football they’ll make all the money they ever dreamed of and there would be no need to mess with March madness. nothing beyond tourney expansion has ever been uttered and doing so would hurt themselves in the long run. No one wants a p3 only tourney. Id boycott watching that even if UConn were included.
Because if there is one thing that people who chase money think…. It’s you know what I think that’s enough… I don’t need anymore.

The reason power conferences support tournament expansion is to soak up more bids and a larger portion of the money.

You keep talking about using the savings from cutting football and the corresponding title ix sports as the vehicle to keep funding mens and women’s basketball indefinitely except between the two programs they lost 9 million themselves, before signing the coaching staffs to new contracts and before dealing with revenue splitting. With or without football they need more revenue.

Ultimately the athletic department as a whole needs to make more money to continue to fund any of its sports at the championship level… the path to those level of revenues (and the continued exposure that ultimately led to the universities growth) depends on finding a new conference home. The move to the Big East was the right move for UConn at the time but a world where the MWC gets 6 bids and the Big East gets 3 should sound warning bells about the willingness to diminish the conference… and the realities of greed among the power conferences should be the alarm about needing to find a higher revenue home.

Reaction Score
Is this what Vermont did? Is there another state university that does not have football?

Reaction Score
Is this what Vermont did? Is there another state university that does not have football?
Plenty of state universities don't have football but I'm pretty certain the only other state flagship university that doesn't have football is Alaska.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom