UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 49 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
btw anyone who thinks our loss to Maryland matters in this is dead wrong. It was literally one single game, the total final record is what will matter.
If we get an invite it will have nothing to do with our football record this season. They all know we blow in football. We'll get the invite if the schools listen to Yormark and Endeavor and the invite will be based on UConn being the best basketball school in the country, their basketball brand, and eastward expansion.

Reaction Score
It's not about whether our football program becomes P3/P4 competitive. It's about being left behind in a non-power conference. The power conferences already have a peeking order within them (see SEC/Big10....gap.... ACC/Big12) as evidenced by FSU being shunned from the CFP, TCU making the CFP final game and being laughingstocked. The same schism is starting to show in basketball -- Big East bubble teams left behind last year, the Big East not being in as many conference showdowns, etc. When the incredible financial pressures of the House case (and the others that will follow) become too much for the power conferences to stomach, they will power play their way to snatch more of basketball revenues from the non- power conferences. It's not if, it's when.
Very shortly the Big 4 will push through less non conference winners frm schools not in the power 4.
They will stop playing them so their strength of schedule is poor.
They will want more of the revenue for themselves.

Reaction Score
In all candor, I'm not sure any BE basketball programs beyond Nova and UConn carry a whole lot of weight outside of their own fan bases and fan bases of other BE schools.

I also don't really see any BE school beyond us being able to make a serious run at a title for the forseeable future.

I am far from pleased that Yormark decided now to take another run at us as I don't see what his big hurry was. If he waited a year or two, everything would have been similar and we would have had more time to attempt to stabilize the football program (which wouldn't join until 2031 anyway). It would be insignificant in either direction if we were to have remained in the BE for all other sports for an additional year or two and we wouldn't be constantly under a microscope with the general public viewing us as hoping to build a good enough football program to promote ourselves out of the BE, which is exactly the way we will be viewed going forward.
He is not a complacent guy like the former Big 12 commissioner or the ACC commissioner or former PAC commissioner. He likes to do things and make changes. AD David Benedict is similar in this regard I believe.

Reaction Score
In all candor, I'm not sure any BE basketball programs beyond Nova and UConn carry a whole lot of weight outside of their own fan bases and fan bases of other BE schools.

I also don't really see any BE school beyond us being able to make a serious run at a title for the forseeable future.

I am far from pleased that Yormark decided now to take another run at us as I don't see what his big hurry was. If he waited a year or two, everything would have been similar and we would have had more time to attempt to stabilize the football program (which wouldn't join until 2031 anyway). It would be insignificant in either direction if we were to have remained in the BE for all other sports for an additional year or two and we wouldn't be constantly under a microscope with the general public viewing us as hoping to build a good enough football program to promote ourselves out of the BE, which is exactly the way we will be viewed going forward.
How would we have more of a chance to stabalize the football program in another year or two?

There's probably only about 6 or 7 basketball programs who have a chance to win a national championship in the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
It's not about whether our football program becomes P3/P4 competitive. It's about being left behind in a non-power conference. The power conferences already have a peeking order within them (see SEC/Big10....gap.... ACC/Big12) as evidenced by FSU being shunned from the CFP, TCU making the CFP final game and being laughingstocked. The same schism is starting to show in basketball -- Big East bubble teams left behind last year, the Big East not being in as many conference showdowns, etc. When the incredible financial pressures of the House case (and the others that will follow) become too much for the power conferences to stomach, they will power play their way to snatch more of basketball revenues from the non- power conferences. It's not if, it's when.
gonzaga says hello. theyve been a top 10 program for the last 30 years even though they play in the midmajor WCC where maybe 2 teams get into the tourney each year and they have no conference showdowns. they have proven that stuff doesnt matter.

we can continue dominating in the BE by playing in preseason multi team events and scheduling high profile noncon games at MSG. we have top tier NIL. the only potential issue is revenue sharing but the school can easily afford that by cutting football and the corresponding title ix women's sports. whether we get into the big12/acc or stay in the BE i'm not worried about our bball programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East isn’t a G5 conference. It is a major conference that does not play football. That is why it is referred to as a power conference in terms of basketball.
And there are a lot more than 5 mid major bball conferences so bongo’s post doesn’t make sense in any way haha

Reaction Score
gonzaga says hello. theyve been a top 10 program for the last 30 years even though they play in the midmajor WCC where maybe 2 teams get into the tourney each year and they have no conference showdowns. they have proven that stuff doesnt matter.

we can continue dominating in the BE by playing in preseason multi team events and scheduling high profile noncon games at MSG. we have top tier NIL. the only potential issue is revenue sharing but the school can easily afford that by cutting football and the corresponding title ix women's sports. whether we get into the big12/acc or stay in the BE i'm not worried about our bball programs.
That assumes the college basketball environment stays the same, which I do not believe in. The tectonic plates will move too much imo.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn’t a G5 conference. It is a major conference that does not play football. That is why it is referred to as a power conference in terms of basketball.
The SEC does not agree. They will always get the biggest share of revenue and automatic bids. The big 12 will as well. Biggest TV contracts will get preferential treatment. Others will be forced to play in for spots in the tournament.

Reaction Score

You want UConn to be like Gonzaga? I want UConn to compete with other state flagship schools.

Reaction Score
You want UConn to be like Gonzaga? I want UConn to compete with other state flagship schools.
You completely missed the point. we don’t need to be in a football power conference to maintain our bball dominance. We weren’t talking about football.

Reaction Score
We may not have a choice. If we're not invited to the Big 12 we may have to make a very tough decision down the road. I want UConn to remain the best basketball school in the country, everything we do has to be in support of that.

Reaction Score
If we get an invite it will have nothing to do with our football record this season. They all know we blow in football. We'll get the invite if the schools listen to Yormark and Endeavor and the invite will be based on UConn being the best basketball school in the country, their basketball brand, and eastward expansion.
Yup.

Reaction Score
That assumes the college basketball environment stays the same, which I do not believe in. The tectonic plates will move too much imo.
If the p3 breaks away for football they’ll make all the money they ever dreamed of and there would be no need to mess with March madness. nothing beyond tourney expansion has ever been uttered and doing so would hurt themselves in the long run. No one wants a p3 only tourney. Id boycott watching that even if UConn were included.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not saying I like it but appears to be heading that way. We could be watching 15-15 record SEC teams get automatic bids because of conference and schedule.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying I like it but appears to be heading that way. We could be watching 15-15 record SEC teams get automatic bids because of conference and schedule.
I’m not arguing any of this. But the Big East isn’t G5 and it is more respected than the G5 for the moment.

We need to get into the B12.

Reaction Score
If the p3 breaks away for football they’ll make all the money they ever dreamed of and there would be no need to mess with March madness. nothing beyond tourney expansion has ever been uttered and doing so would hurt themselves in the long run. No one wants a p3 only tourney. Id boycott watching that even if UConn were included.
So, then, why does college football continue to contract? It contracts because the media networks want marquee/big brand games instead of watered down conference games. They want state universities and other big brand private schools playing themselves up and down the schedules. They want more cowbell and smaller, private school institutions don't bring enough cowbell. Simple economics.

Reaction Score
So, then, why does college football continue to contract? It contracts because the media networks want marquee/big brand games instead of watered down conference games. They want state universities and other big brand private schools playing themselves up and down the schedules. They want more cowbell and smaller, private school institutions don't bring enough cowbell. Simple economics.
cbs/turner extended the March madness tv deal until 2032 for $8.8 billion and you think they would prefer A P3 only tournament??? That is not something most casual fans want to see and they know it. If anything the tourney will expand.

Football and basketball are different sports. there are a fraction of football playing schools as there are basketball playing schools. A P3 only CFP would be the same product as it is now minus one G5 auto bid but March madness would be unrecognizable.

And what good is your hysteria doing anyways? If we get invited to a power conference we’re going, otherwise we’re staying in the big east. Those are the only two outcomes. Unless you want things to go up in flames then stop with the doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you're selling Nova, PC, and St. John's short. I'll never understand the Neptune hire and why he's still there but I don't see Nova falling off the map. Programs go through lulls, hey it happened to us. Louisville is going through it. Nova is all about basketball and even with the changing landscape I don't see them going away. Their NIL is huge and they have enough money people supporting the program along with some really good NBA players who are all about their alma mater. Providence has really stepped up their NIL and it's the only game in town, their fanbase is rabid and they continue to get players. St. John's after being lost for a long time has a renewed commitment to basketball and financial backing. Georgetown, I'll never quite understand. They should be great but their obsession with never moving on from John Thompson has destroyed them.

Even with all the changes as long as something crazy doesn't happen and the NCAA tournament is scrapped I don't see these Big East schools being marginalized. They are basketball schools, it's their identity and not having to worry about football and the money that goes along with it should enable them to keep strong in basketball.
If you have great sponsors, you probably don't have to worry about money. If you are in the Big East and want to compete for basketball championships you can choose not to worry about money but you aren't going to be winning those championships in the future without it. Big East hoops is an amazing story of success but you've got to have the fuel to keep moving forward. That fuel is money.

Reaction Score
The basketball tournament is going to get bigger.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you're selling Nova, PC, and St. John's short. I'll never understand the Neptune hire and why he's still there but I don't see Nova falling off the map. Programs go through lulls, hey it happened to us. Louisville is going through it. Nova is all about basketball and even with the changing landscape I don't see them going away. Their NIL is huge and they have enough money people supporting the program along with some really good NBA players who are all about their alma mater. Providence has really stepped up their NIL and it's the only game in town, their fanbase is rabid and they continue to get players. St. John's after being lost for a long time has a renewed commitment to basketball and financial backing. Georgetown, I'll never quite understand. They should be great but their obsession with never moving on from John Thompson has destroyed them.

Even with all the changes as long as something crazy doesn't happen and the NCAA tournament is scrapped I don't see these Big East schools being marginalized. They are basketball schools, it's their identity and not having to worry about football and the money that goes along with it should enable them to keep strong in basketball.
Ok, but Georgetown was many X better than Villanova back in the day. Villanova may be the worst team in the league aside from DePaul, which is also a historic basketball power with rich tradition. So Nova can absolutely suck for a long time and will if they don’t fire Neptune yesterday. Dom Perno >>>>>>>> Neptune. He’s that bad.

I‘m not saying the league is doomed. But the post I replied to suggested something crazy. The truth is the Big XII without UConn is better than the Big East with UConn. If UConn makes the move, no conference is even close. The time will come, and we’ve seen it already with Nate Oates to Bama, when the basketball only schools can’t afford the coaches anymore. We are on borrowed time. You know that.

Reaction Score
The time will come, and we’ve seen it already with Nate Oates to Bama, when the basketball only schools can’t afford the coaches anymore. We are on borrowed time. You know that.
Are you comparing UConn to buffalo?

Hurley makes more than Oats. He’s the second or third highest paid college bball coach and Only 10 or 11 college football coaches make more than $8.3mill/year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
cbs/turner extended the March madness tv deal until 2032 for $8.8 billion and you think they would prefer A P3 only tournament??? That is not something most casual fans want to see and they know it. If anything the tourney will expand.

Football and basketball are different sports. there are a fraction of football playing schools as there are basketball playing schools. A P3 only CFP would be the same product as it is now minus one G5 auto bid but March madness would be unrecognizable.

And what good is your hysteria doing anyways? If we get invited to a power conference we’re going, otherwise we’re staying in the big east. Those are the only two outcomes. Unless you want things to go up in flames then stop with the doom and gloom.
I wasn't talking about contracting the tournament - I'm talking about pulling a UConn out of the Big East so it's brand can play other big brands as opposed to small, private schools, same with Gonzaga, and the idea of changing the way the Big Dance pays out the billion dollars it pulls in. More money to big brand schools. As revenue sharing with athletes continues to expand and eat into schools' revenues, it's going to put pressure on the power schools/conferences to increase their shares. The way to make things more economically efficient will be to increase viewership in the regular season and also change the way the Big Dance pie gets cut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom