UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 33 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
This post is correct, but I made one small fix.
Very curious…. If someone were to rank all of the realignment movements, what school was the biggest egg, and which school was biggest surprise (best ROI).

Off the cuff is it BC, Pitt, or Syr in ACC? They have become complete deadweights. Especially BC.

On the plus side, TCU maybe? Or Utah in Pac 12? Both seemed to step up.

I’m only going back to ACC raid of BigEast. Obviously conferences have been moving around for decades.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Espn is not giving the B12 a bump because of us. They are simply prorating the deal. That means everyone elses cut stays the same. Us joining would not affect the per school payout until the renewal in 2031
That's not true, it's been reported that ESPN would bump up the payout not only pro rata but also to account for UConn's basketball added value. The fact that Fox won't even pro rata the add, makes it budget neutral -- which has been reported. Look at my math example above.

This shouldn't be that hard -- if ESPN didn't move the pot up beyond that of a pro rata increase, and with Fox not adding anything, it would be NET NEGATIVE overall. ESPN indeed did put forth more money than pro rata.

Reaction Score
There wasn’t suppose to be anywhere close to a vote yesterday. Presidents weren’t even in the loop before that meeting. Negotiations are happening, wheels are getting greased and they will see if that gets them over the finish line. If not, there won’t be a vote. But if you think this is already over thats not correct
Does anyone have a decent timeline of SMU Calford to the ACC? I feel like that was originally met with a lot of objection.

Curious what events transpired to get that across the line and how long that took.

Reaction Score
We won’t have a seat in the Big 12. We will have the option of applying to join in football in 5 years, and if the Big 12 says “no”, they still get our hoops program.
you are the one making things up. i havent seen a potential invite characterized like this by anyone.

by all accounts it would be olympic sports as early as 2026 upon which we would get ~15 mill/year. then full members by 2031 pending some financial milestones.

it's pure speculation to say the deal would allow the conference to keep moving the goal posts in order to keep our football program in limbo forever.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We won’t have a seat in the Big 12. We will have the option of applying to join in football in 5 years, and if the Big 12 says “no”, they still get our hoops program.
It’s to the B12’s advantage to help UConn be successful in sports. Adding Cincinnati will help West Virginia. Pittsburgh will improve regional rivalry more so.

UCF will benefit from whatever ACC schools in the southeast are available that they, the conference as a whole, the media entities and Endeavor decide is beneficial.

I expect UConn will have similar input for northeast teams that follow.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I swore that Texas was two but I was mistaken.

Regardless that’s A LOT of extra travel time compared to what we do now is the main point. The closest teams to us would be some of the furthest in the current Big East.
We can remedy that easily by refusing to attend tournaments like Phil Knight and Maui. :cool:

I don’t disagree that travel is a negative. But hopefully this is short term. It seems the media wants to contract the college sports landscape at the highest level so four contracts are better than five (bye bye PAC), three will be better than four (bye bye ACC).

The question is will they push it down to two contracts or stay at three? I believe three is easier to manipulate than two plus the BIG does not trust the SEC so they’ll want a partner. Additionally Yormark’s plan for a superior bb conference will keep the B12 viable long term.

With this scenario it will benefit the B12 conference to add teams from the ACC that are geographically better for UConn and negate this negative travel situation.

Reaction Score
Not sure if the Big XII HQ is in the new digs yet, but we got any boots on the ground in Texas? We've gotta have someone down there with some inside info.

big 12.JPG

Reaction Score
UConn's football budget is well below P4 budgets and below a number of G5 budgets.

I wrote this on the-boneyard 11 months ago:

In 2011, UConn paid Paul Pasqualoni $1.5 million per year and the assistant coaching pool ~$1.7 million. Fast forward to 2022 (latest USA Today data) and UConn is paying the head coach $1.5 million and the assistant coaches ~$1.8 million. So in 11 years, the football coaching salaries are flat and down in real terms after adjusting for inflation. Does that show a commitment to winning football?

Compare the above numbers with Cincinnati. In 2011, they paid the head coach ~$1.1 million with a $1.5 million assistant pool. In 2022, they were paying the head coach $5 million (before he left for Wisconsin) with an assistant pool of $3.3 million. Doesn't that show more commitment to football than UConn?

What schools look similar to UConn when it comes to spending money on football coaching salaries? Wyoming, UNLV, Utah St. What G5 schools are spending more? UTSA, Boise St., San Jose St., ECU, USF, San Diego St., Memphis. Are these the schools that we trying to be peers with in athletics?

I don't know how we do it, but we need to find a way to increase spending on football. We have to look at football spending as an investment with a potential return, not as an expense. I think we need to increase the total football salary pool by ~$2 million per year. Give Mora the money to get and keep top assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty indifferent to changing conferences in general. But those teams would be the closest games to travel too in the Big 12.

Every team except 3 are two time zones away. The competitive disadvantage that we’ll be putting ourselves at would be interesting if we do end up joining.
The Big 12 is looking at UConn as the 17th school which probably means there will be additional schools added in the future. And, where would those schools come from? The ACC. The Big 12 could add schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
UConn's football budget is well below P4 budgets and below a number of G5 budgets.

I wrote this on the-boneyard 11 months ago:

In 2011, UConn paid Paul Pasqualoni $1.5 million per year and the assistant coaching pool ~$1.7 million. Fast forward to 2022 (latest USA Today data) and UConn is paying the head coach $1.5 million and the assistant coaches ~$1.8 million. So in 11 years, the football coaching salaries are flat and down in real terms after adjusting for inflation. Does that show a commitment to winning football?

Compare the above numbers with Cincinnati. In 2011, they paid the head coach ~$1.1 million with a $1.5 million assistant pool. In 2022, they were paying the head coach $5 million (before he left for Wisconsin) with an assistant pool of $3.3 million. Doesn't that show more commitment to football than UConn?

What schools look similar to UConn when it comes to spending money on football coaching salaries? Wyoming, UNLV, Utah St. What G5 schools are spending more? UTSA, Boise St., San Jose St., ECU, USF, San Diego St., Memphis. Are these the schools that we trying to be peers with in athletics?

I don't know how we do it, but we need to find a way to increase spending on football. We have to look at football spending as an investment with a potential return, not as an expense. I think we need to increase the total football salary pool by ~$2 million per year. Give Mora the money to get and keep top assistant coaches.
Good post. One the basketball 1st people hate because they view any additional resources allocated to football as taking away from basketball.

Reaction Score
Good post. One the basketball 1st people hate because they view any additional resources allocated to football as taking away from basketball.

And that’s hilarious. No way the state lets them cut football and reallocate that money into basketball. They will just take the money back.

Reaction Score
The next step in ACC Expansion is grabbing another basketball blue blood The next step in ACC Expansion? Grab another basketball blue blood
The young lad is only 23 but he's receiving lots of comments. Generally more reasonable than the knuckleheads at their syracusefan site. They honestly believe the Big 12 is garbage and that the ACC will raid the Big 12.

At this point I really want nothing to do with the ACC, even if nothing happens with the Big 12. ACC doesn't deserve UConn Basketball.

Reaction Score
Why UConn for the Big 12?
As Endeavor noted in the meeting on Monday, based on a source I spoke with, the company is high on UConn for the Big 12, as it would give the conference more leverage in its next television deal by incorporating the New York City and New England markets, to go along with the Huskies’ high brand equity.

About time we have positive information!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe they're talking about coaches salaries, maybe they're talking about an on-campus stadium, or maybe, just maybe, they're making meaningless sounds to justify the fact that they don't want to pay for a full share until the next contract negotiation happens in 2031.

Reaction Score
I doubt that but we'll see if anything happens. Just don't want to be left at altar again

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The young lad is only 23 but he's receiving lots of comments. Generally more reasonable than the knuckleheads at their syracusefan site. They honestly believe the Big 12 is garbage and that the ACC will raid the Big 12.

At this point I really want nothing to do with the ACC, even if nothing happens with the Big 12. ACC doesn't deserve UConn Basketball.
Unless we get into the Big Ten or the SEC, which we all know is not happening, I'll hate every freaking member of whatever conference we end up in for yanking our chain around so long. I will particularly savor beating their asses down annually.

Eph you all!
House Party Dancing GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
From our old pal's neck of wood:

Wow, first Cuse and now Miami, this sounds like an alternate reality. How could this much friendly fire be coming at Uconn, LOL!

Reaction Score
I think Dave Benedict ought to hop on a plane and then drive to ACC headquarters in Charlotte. (just in case) Maybe bring Hurley and Calhoun with him.

Reaction Score

Wow, first Cuse and now Miami, this sounds like an alternate reality. How could this much friendly fire be coming at Uconn, LOL!

We suddenly becoming more popular because the B12 is looking to add us. ACC had their chances, and they always believed that we will always be "there" for the taking anytime they want.

The fact they took SMU and 2 CA schools over a school that's a perfect fit for them tells you all you need to know about their mentality. This is a conference that's way behind in everything, and they simply deserve a painful death.

UConn should definitely take the B12 if offered.

Reaction Score
We suddenly becoming more popular because the B12 is looking to add us. ACC had their chances, and they always believed that we will always be "there" for the taking anytime they want.

The fact they took SMU and 2 CA schools over a school that's a perfect fit for them tells you all you need to know about their mentality. This is a conference that's way behind in everything, and they simply deserve a painful death.

UConn should definitely take the B12 if offered.
UConn needs to make one last phone call to the ACC this week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom