UConn to Big XII Imminent? | Page 32 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big XII Imminent?

Reaction Score
It got leaked by a Podcaster. I'm sure they hoped this was done behind the scenes. Whoever leaked this wanted to sabotage it.
This has been a huge problem for years. The basketball only folks even within the UConn AD have continually tried to undermine the football program. And for that matter any program they see as challenging basketball’s dominance. Ask former coaches. Ask Cav. While I have zero evidence a NEWBE groupie leaked this, I have no doubt one of the guys who thought our conference issue was done now that we are in the NEWBE leaked this.

Reaction Score
Truer words have never been spoken when it comes to forums, blogs, and news cycles in general.

You are forgetting this is the Boneyard. It's like you don't even know us anymore.
No, I didn't say I predicted otherwise or was surprised. Nonetheless, pointing out how little we actually know seemed appropriate.

Reaction Score
The presidents met yesterday per CBS. No consensus, no vote taken, same old same old. Not happening.

Reaction Score
The rights are shared. ESPN is adding money to the pot to get us to the Big 12, meaning each team will get an additional piece; Fox is not adding money with our addition, meaning each team will have to take a cut. The net is budget neutral. If Fox adds a little bit, it would be net gain for everyone. Capisce?

You are contradicting yourself here and need to read up on this stuff

If each team is taking a cut how can it be neutral? And ESPN is making sure they don't take a cut.

Read the post you are responding to.

Reaction Score
This has been a huge problem for years. The basketball only folks even within the UConn AD have continually tried to undermine the football program. And for that matter any program they see as challenging basketball’s dominance. Ask former coaches. Ask Cav. While I have zero evidence a NEWBE groupie leaked this, I have no doubt one of the guys who thought our conference issue was done now that we are in the NEWBE leaked this.
Who are these “basketball only folks” you speak of? Are they interns, secretaries, assistant coaches in Olympic Sports? Support people? An Olympic Sport Head Coach? Is it Tom Moore and Chris Dailey? What does Cavanaugh have to do with anything? I know it’s not Jim Calhoun. Or are you just referring to people who just wish it was the way it once was, YanCon FB, and BE hoops?

If you work in the UConn AD and are sabotaging FB, you won’t be employed for long.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 could add us for hoops, and never add us for football. If that happens, you could roll up the big time athletics carpet for UConn.
because we'd be in the best basketball conference and earning a boatload more money?

Reaction Score
The presidents met yesterday per CBS. No consensus, no vote taken, same old same old. Not happening.
There wasn’t suppose to be anywhere close to a vote yesterday. Presidents weren’t even in the loop before that meeting. Negotiations are happening, wheels are getting greased and they will see if that gets them over the finish line. If not, there won’t be a vote. But if you think this is already over thats not correct

Reaction Score
Or, rather than jump on the B12 offer to maybe join in 2031 if they still like us and they are still around, we cool our jets because a big change is about to happen and some of the P4 may decide this big-time athletics thing is not for them.
I do not like the 2031 for football scenario. UConn deserves better than that and 7 years can bring a lifetime of change in the landscape. Of course we would prefer immediate membership at perhaps a reduced share. If they do go that route, UConn better have a hedge in place to protect itself, such as being able to move if some other opportunity comes along or moving up the timeline if UConn makes commitments. It would be tough to lock in having no idea what changes are coming.

The big risk we would hopefully be mitigating by going this route is being eliminated should the P# break off completely, however unlikely that scenario is.

The bright side, if UConn gets shafted again, is that we still have Hurley in the Big East.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You are contradicting yourself here and need to read up on this stuff

If each team is taking a cut how can it be neutral? And ESPN is making sure they don't take a cut.

Read the post you are responding to.
I don’t need to read up on anything. I have a PHD in realignment after the last 15 years and counting.

It sounds like you need some lessons in reading comprehension and math.

Here’s a basic example:
ESPN -
16 teams at $10mil per
17 teams at $10.6 mil per (giving UConn pro rata for basketball content plus a marginal bump to sweeten the deal)

Fox -
16 teams at $10mil per
17 teams at $9.4mil per

Net net - budget neutral. If Fox kicked in at least pro rata for basketball, it would be a net positive and more palatable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
because we'd be in the best basketball conference and earning a boatload more money?

We get to just make up the rest of the deal now? How do you define “boatload”? Got a link for that?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No votes may be the university’s preference to not accept UConn because of our geographical location or because of our football program.

On the other hand the universities may be using this as an excuse in attempting to put pressure on the media companies for more monies and waiting to see if they cave in.

ESPN is on record (at least in the ether world) with wanting UConn in the B12. Fox doesn’t for obvious reasons. So ESPN is going to make up the difference. But that will come with some conditions that they, and not Fox, get the majority of broadcasting rights for UConn’s mens and women’s bb games. We will see if Fox will allow that to happen. I doubt it because Fox knows they used the BE to lowball our value.

All these parties, UConn, the Big12 universities individually, the conference (BY), ESPN, Fox, and even Endeavor, have common and separate monetary agendas and are playing each other for an advantage. I expect UConn to get an invite because there is too much money to lose, but the various entities have to fight for their specific agendas. Hopefully that won’t take long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t need to read up on anything. I have a PHD in realignment after the last 15 years and counting.

Here’s a basic example:
ESPN -
16 teams at $10mil per
17 teams at $10.6 mil per (giving UConn pro rata for basketball content plus a marginal bump to sweeten the deal)

Fox -
16 teams at $10mil per
17 teams at $9.4mil per

Net net - budget neutral. If Fox kicked in at least pro rata for basketball, it would be a net positive and more palatable.
Espn is not giving the B12 a bump because of us. They are simply prorating the deal. That means everyone elses cut stays the same. Us joining would not affect the per school payout until the renewal in 2031

Reaction Score

Here’s a basic example:
ESPN -
16 teams at $10mil per

Fox -
16 teams at $10mil per
17 teams at $9.4mil per

Bad enough you won't take the L, but then you have to post fake numbers that have no meaning whatsoever and say I need lessons? The lengths you are going to are just making you look like an idiot

You have no idea what the numbers are and it doesn't matter, if ESPN says it is making it neutral to the other schools- that's what it is! They are making up the difference!

Now I see you might be seeking to move the goalpost at the end, another outstanding effort. Nobody has talked about making everyone positive from the beginning. Fox has no incentive to, they have UConn at a cheap price already. Why would they just to appease us?

But, the post of yours I answered was you saying Fox was blocking us and nothing more, so this would be a feeble attempt of a goalpost shift.

Reaction Score
The rights are shared. ESPN is adding money to the pot to get us to the Big 12, meaning each team will get an additional piece; Fox is not adding money with our addition, meaning each team will have to take a cut. The net is budget neutral. If Fox adds a little bit, it would be net gain for everyone. Capisce?
My understanding of the rumors from journalists is that the addition of UConn -- for the duration of this contract -- has no bearing on the broadcasting payments other schools will receive (outside of tournament shares and I would suspect they would want to block UConn from receiving football playoff money).

Fox Sports already has UConn, so I am assuming they either are only going to pay UConn what they are currently receiving or a prorated amount depending on their share of UConn rights. ESPN is going to come with a figure for partial rights to UConn that will go to UConn (perhaps with the Big 12 offices as intermediary but functionally it is ESPN paying for UConn).

So Fox isn't blocking anything, just no offering more for less of the same product. And why would they?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Plus a seat in the Big12 when the ACC implodes with input on which teams would be advantageous for an eastern division.

We won’t have a seat in the Big 12. We will have the option of applying to join in football in 5 years, and if the Big 12 says “no”, they still get our hoops program.

Reaction Score
We won’t have a seat in the Big 12. We will have the option of applying to join in football in 5 years, and if the Big 12 says “no”, they still get our hoops program.
you know who's definitely saying no to our football program? The Big East. And we're getting paid less for that privilege than we'd get from the Big 12 which is a better basketball conference

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m pretty indifferent to changing conferences in general. But those teams would be the closest games to travel too in the Big 12.

Every team except 3 are two time zones away. The competitive disadvantage that we’ll be putting ourselves at would be interesting if we do end up joining.
Eight schools in the Big XII are in the central time zone. Three, Cinci, WVU and UCF are east. Five, Arizona, ASU, Utah, BYU and Colorado are mountain. So only those 5 are two time zones away.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Eight schools in the Big XII are in the central time zone. Three, Cinci, WVU and UCF are east. Five, Arizona, ASU, Utah, BYU and Colorado are mountain. So only those 5 are two time zones away.
I swore that Texas was two but I was mistaken.

Regardless that’s A LOT of extra travel time compared to what we do now is the main point. The closest teams to us would be some of the furthest in the current Big East.

Reaction Score
So much hot air. You know what we actually know? That UConn and the XII are seriously talking. Beyond that, we have a bunch of internet posts where we don't know what any of the sources are, and traditional media then talking about unsourced and unreliable internet posts.

We will know something when we know something.
Yes lots of hot air, so what’s holding you down?:rolleyes:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My understanding of the rumors from journalists is that the addition of UConn -- for the duration of this contract -- has no bearing on the broadcasting payments other schools will receive (outside of tournament shares and I would suspect they would want to block UConn from receiving football playoff money).

Fox Sports already has UConn, so I am assuming they either are only going to pay UConn what they are currently receiving or a prorated amount depending on their share of UConn rights. ESPN is going to come with a figure for partial rights to UConn that will go to UConn (perhaps with the Big 12 offices as intermediary but functionally it is ESPN paying for UConn).

So Fox isn't blocking anything, just no offering more for less of the same product. And why would they?
Of course Fox doesn't want to offer more for the same product, that's why I'm jokingly saying they are c*** blocking us.

But we should push Fox to add some money to the Big 12 pie because alternatively the ACC could wake up and offer us, and then Fox would lose UCONN men's and women's basketball since the ACC is with ESPN only. So why not entice Fox to pay a premium to keep us on their network. Make sense now?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom