UConn - TMU post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - TMU post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A favorite moment for me, after a steal and run out, when Kim Adam’s described KK as “a menace.” That really captures who KK is on defense. She’s got quick hands like Nika and even quicker feet. This may be one reason Geno likes having Nika and KK on the floor together.

Reaction Score
Our 3 frosh scored a total of 59 pts, at a .776 PPM clip, including 81% from the field (95% in the 1st half), 67% from 3-land, 9 assists, 9 steals (7 by KK), and 12 rebounds (9 by Q). Very impressive night for the kids. A valuable showcase opportunity for the team. Loved the double-teaming (especially by AE) that led to a lot of TOs. Ines looked great, and probably earned herself more PT. Ice was a little disappointing. FT% could prove to be a problem down the road.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Lot's of good stuff in this game, but I am alarmed at Ice's lack of development. This was a great opportunity for a "get right" game for her. No sign of it.

Reaction Score
Lots of fun! The team deserves some positive vibs after all the heart break!
I'm thrilled Ines and Amari got some double figure minutes and represented themselves so well!
What a super positive way to enter their break!
Come back to kick butt and take names!

Reaction Score
I started to keep track of points as I usually do but after 5 minutes gave it up as it just didn't seem right or respectful to keep track of a turkey shoot. The Metro's gave their all despite not nearly having the skills to compete with UConn and for that they deserve respect. In someways I wish this game hadn't be on cable for all to see. I know, and you know why this game came about but most non-Uconn fans that tuned in didn't and I hate that some came away thinking UConn schedules OC games like this one in the normal course of events a la LSU.

It was really great to see the 3 frosh light it up. Granted the Metro's couldn't guard them very well, but you still have to make the shot and they did.

Ines and Amari were ok in more minutes than they are used to. Patterson showed nothing. None did enough to show they are ready to play in tight games. I'm not trying to be harsh but given that Metro was so overmatched all three should have been able to have their way. This was a good chance for them to shine and show their stuff. Didn't happen.

As a hometown game for AE it was a huge success. She seemed so happy to be playing in front of family, friends and Canadians in general and there were a lot of them.

Reaction Score
I started to keep track of points as I usually do but after 5 minutes gave it up as it just didn't seem right or respectful to keep track of a turkey shoot. The Metro's gave their all despite not nearly having the skills to compete with UConn and for that they deserve respect. In someways I wish this game hadn't be on cable for all to see. I know, and you know why this game came about but most non-Uconn fans that tuned in didn't and I hate that some came away thinking UConn schedules OC games like this one in the normal course of events a la LSU.

It was really great to see the 3 frosh light it up. Granted the Metro's couldn't guard them very well, but you still have to make the shot and they did.

Ines and Amari were ok in more minutes than they are used to. Patterson showed nothing. None did enough to show they are ready to play in tight games. I'm not trying to be harsh but given that Metro was so overmatched all three should have been able to have their way. This was a good chance for them to shine and show their stuff. Didn't happen.

As a hometown game for AE it was a huge success. She seemed so happy to be playing in front of family, friends and Canadians in general and there were a lot of them.
Patterson is out for the year; it would have been difficult for her to play well.

Reaction Score
Who does Ashlynn's shot remind me? She reminds me of Azzi. Effortless, quick release, perfect form, and it goes in the bucket a LOT.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
618DB1E5-9E13-4FD4-A215-76159A3A1164.jpeg

Reaction Score

Sure I’m an Ines fan and i’m glad she got to play, but no one should be using this game as a yardstick for anything or anyone.

Major props to the Metro program for signing up for a game in which they were basically going to be the Washington Generals.

Reaction Score

And the fans were really excited to have a chance to see her play. As they say in Canada Basketball it was "Mad Love".

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • It was really nice of TMU to agree to give Aaliyah a homecoming game in Canada. Obviously, they weren’t competitive. This is the first time in all my years as a Husky fan that I was rooting for the other team to score….:confused:
  • After the Butler game one BY’er suggested that Ashlynn was as good a shooter as Azzi. I responded, “not yet.” After she knocked down her first 8 shots tonight, including 4/4 from the arc, I may need to reconsider.
  • UConn’s freshmen were 19/20 in the 1st half. I can’t believe Q actually missed one of her 6 shots…:cool:
  • I don’t recall any Husky ever fouling out of their homecoming game. In addition to putting up 26 & 10 tonight, Aaliyah came perilously close to leaving the game early….:oops:
  • Q is really starting to look more and more like she belongs in the rotation. The Huskies have to get Ice going and my “hoped for” 8-player rotation will be a reality.
The 8 man rotation is at the top of my Santa wish list too. I think we saw how talented Q is last night. If she played more she would have had 30. Her weakness is still her defense although it was much more Aubreyesque last night. She has to grow into her body also over time but when she does we will have a real big time consistent scorer to join KK and Ash. It may actually come sooner than we think. A game like last night goes a long way in the confidence column. She was instant offense and prolific.

I think KK got the "you need to shoot pull ups and stop forcing the drives " talk from Geno because she showed she has that skill big time last night. As for Ice, she is the X factor and a key to March. I still think it is a conditioning and timing issue from a 1 year lay off. She is not in full game shape yet but I don't think Paige is either yet although who can tell with her. I'm hoping that the month of January with the slate of games scheduled will do a lot for Ice and that by mid February she will be able to have a real impact underneath for us. This is a very exciting team now but we have two big tests ahead of us in Marquette and Creighton so let's enjoy the break and then take this "new" team out for a wild ride to March.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I always thought Ines had Division I skills with athleticism to match. However, with the limited time she normally gets, she forces everything in an effort to make a play.

I am not sure her play last night will influence future playing time this season but it was fun watching her play like a confident, DI point guard.

Reaction Score
Who gets picked as Frosh of the Week this week? Playing in Canada, does this game factor in the consideration? Have never seen a 3 player win but Shade, Q, and KK would be a deserving start.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Who gets picked as Frosh of the Week this week? Playing in Canada, does this game factor in the consideration? Have never seen a 3 player win but Shade, Q, and KK would be a deserving start.
I know UConn had 3 pretty amazing games by all 3 freshmen last night, but when you add in Ashlynn’s game vs Butler, I’d say she is a lock for BE FOW.

Reaction Score
Amari def contributed. A couple of points, rebs, assists and blocks. The box score isn’t posted yet but I think she had a better game than Ice.
Ice is playing timid, perhaps because fear of reinjuring. As for Amari, I agree she did better last nite; but, it was still not even close to being good enough to show she deserves to be on the floor when it counts.

Reaction Score
This is not a game to read anything into at all. Playing bad teams or teams that are clearly not any better than a good HS team should not be a cause for celebration. All this does is allow a team to make a ton of mistakes and have none of them show up in the stat line. UConn is playing better than they were but that is 100% on the play of Aubrey.

Reaction Score
A good game for building team chemistry. They were having a blast. Yes, the opponent was over matched. We'll see how last evening carries through against Marquette and Creighton, but for now this is a real good way to go into the holiday break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom