UConn - TMU post game thread | The Boneyard

UConn - TMU post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok - so a hugely overmatched opponent. Put up a ton of points and killed them in every way possible so while it's great to bask in the glow of a wire to wire smackdown, which I will do at first, a few nit picks at the end...
  • The freshmen were insane. They shot 19-20 in the first half. 19-20. 44 combined points. Just WOW! The announcers kept saying will they ever miss???" We knew they eventually would, but I just LOVED seeing the confidence and fearlessness they showed. They ended up 25-30 scoring 59 total points!!!
  • I wonder if Paige was saying to herself "What the heck - no one needs me??!!!" She was probably thrilled by that.
  • Liya with an efficient 12 points and 9 boards in half 1 - almost a double double. Ended with 24 points, but foul trouble??? Another double double tho. My POG, in part because it was her homecoming.
  • Loved seeing Geno give Ines and Amari some scratch. Ines was solid. Amari contributed a little bit, great seeing her out there. There was one play in particular where Q got a steal, ran the floor with Ines at the front, nice bounce pass by Q, layup by Ines. I specifically mention this because it highlights to me that even players who are end of bench reserves have solid fundamental basketball skills and can perform when asked to...
  • Every single UCONN player got at least 10 minutes.
  • We shot 50% from 3, led of course, by the freshmen. They were 8-12!!
Give TMU credit - after scoring 9 points in the first half, they scored 17 in the 3rd quarter. You know this game will help them down the road in their league.
  • FT shooting terrible. Under 50% in the 1st half, improved in the 2nd half and ended up 63%.
  • Gave up way to many offensive boards
  • Sloppy layups around the basket and numerous plays where players fought for a board with each other only to lose the possession.
  • Edwards with 5 TO's and 4 fouls
But... Bottom line a fun all around game for everyone to get in, everyone to feel good, everyone to get PT and everyone to score and get on the scoreboard!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
B429ADD8-7D28-47B0-A7A9-8ECE265DD512.jpeg

Reaction Score
Ok - so a hugely overmatched opponent. Put up a ton of points and killed them in every way possible so while it's great to bask in the glow of a wire to wire smackdown, which I will do at first, a few nit picks at the end...
  • The freshmen were insane. They shot 19-20 in the first half. 19-20. 44 combined points. Just WOW! The announcers kept saying will they ever miss???" We knew they eventually would, but I just LOVED seeing the confidence and fearlessness they showed. They ended up 25-30 scoring 59 total points!!!
  • I wonder if Paige was saying to herself "What the heck - no one needs me??!!!" She was probably thrilled by that.
  • Liya with an efficient 12 points and 9 boards - almost a double double in the first half alone. Ended with 24 points, but foul trouble??? Ended up with a double double tho. My POG, in part because it was her homecoming.
  • Loved seeing Geno give Ines and Amari some scratch. Ines was solid. Not sure Amari contributed anything, but great seeing her out there. There was one play in particular where Q got a steal, ran the floor with Ines at the front, nice bounce pass by Q, layup by Ines. I specifically mention this because it highlights to me that even players who are end of bench reserves have solid fundamental basketball skills and can perform when asked to...
  • We shot over 50% from 3, led of course, by the freshmen. They were 8-11!!
Give TMU credit - after scoring 9 points in the first half, they scored 17 in the 3rd quarter. You know this game will help them down the road in their league.
  • FT shooting terrible. Under 50% in the 1st half, improved in the 2nd half and ended up 63%.
  • Sloppy layups around the basket and numerous plays where players fought for a board with each other only to lose the possession.
But... Bottom line a fun all around game for everyone to get in, everyone to feel good, everyone to get PT and everyone to score and get on the scoreboard!

Amari def contributed. A couple of points, rebs, assists and blocks. The box score isn’t posted yet but I think she had a better game than Ice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • It was really nice of TMU to agree to give Aaliyah a homecoming game in Canada. Obviously, they weren’t competitive. This is the first time in all my years as a Husky fan that I was rooting for the other team to score….:confused:
  • After the Butler game one BY’er suggested that Ashlynn was as good a shooter as Azzi. I responded, “not yet.” After she knocked down her first 8 shots tonight, including 4/4 from the arc, I may need to reconsider.
  • UConn’s freshmen were 19/20 in the 1st half. I can’t believe Q actually missed one of her 6 shots…:cool:
  • I don’t recall any Husky ever fouling out of their homecoming game. In addition to putting up 26 & 10 tonight, Aaliyah came perilously close to leaving the game early….:oops:
  • Q is really starting to look more and more like she belongs in the rotation. The Huskies have to get Ice going and my “hoped for” 8-player rotation will be a reality.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sad that Nika didn't "eat" :(. Must be due to the flu, yeah, that's the ticket.
Kinda glad that Kia's and Katie Lou's 3 pt streaks are still active but a couple of our young whippersnappers had me worried :):rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • It was really nice of TMU to agree to give Aaliyah a homecoming game in Canada. Obviously, they weren’t competitive. This is the first time in all my years as a Husky fan that I was rooting for the other team to score….:confused:
  • After the Butler game one BY’er suggested that Ashlynn was as good a shooter as Azzi. I responded, “not yet.” After she knocked down her first 8 shots tonight, including 4/4 from the arc, I may need to reconsider.
  • UConn’s freshmen were 19/20 in the 1st half. I can’t believe Q actually missed one of her 6 shots…:cool:
  • I don’t recall any Husky ever fouling out of their homecoming game. In addition to putting up 26 & 10 tonight, Aaliyah came perilously close to leaving the game early….:oops:
  • Q is really starting to look more and more like she belongs in the rotation. The Huskies have to get Ice going and my “hoped for” 8-player rotation will be a reality.
Let’s paraphrase me correctly. I suggested that Ash was more effective from inside the arc. I never compared their three-point shooting. I’m still a long way from doing that.

Reaction Score
Amari def contributed. A couple of points, rebs, assists and blocks. The box score isn’t posted yet but I think she had a better game than Ice.

For someone who was hyped up by Geno coming into the season, I am underwhelmed by Ice's play so far this season. I also noticed that she tends to have bad body language on her missed shots and does not focus on running back right away on defense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let’s paraphrase me correctly. I suggested that Ash was more effective from inside the arc. I never compared their three-point shooting. I’m still a long way from doing that.
I stand corrected. Inside the arc (4/4) or outside the arc (4/6) Ashlynn was pretty damned impressive shooting the rock tonight.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
*Clearly a wide gap in talent between the 2 teams but regardless an entertaining game.
*Happy for AW that had a real good game.
*All players got good minuets.
*The Freshmen were unreal. All 3 were amazing.
*The one 3 by Ashlynn where she caught the ball while moving to her left and somehow was able to square to the basket and shoot it (and hit nothing but net) was absolutely ridiculous.
*Still waiting for Ice B....she must work on a better back to the basket game and the ability to finish when close to the basket.
*Nice minutes and production for Amari and Ines. Amari was actually better then Ice in this game.
*When was the last time UConn had 3 20 points scorers in one game and 2 of them freshmen?

Reaction Score
  • Liya with an efficient 12 points and 9 boards in half 1 - almost a double double. Ended with 24 points, but foul trouble??? Another double double tho. My POG, in part because it was her homecoming.
  • Loved seeing Geno give Ines and Amari some scratch. Ines was solid. Amari contributed a little bit, great seeing her out there. There was one play in particular where Q got a steal, ran the floor with Ines at the front, nice bounce pass by Q, layup by Ines. I specifically mention this because it highlights to me that even players who are end of bench reserves have solid fundamental basketball skills and can perform when asked to...
  • We shot 50% from 3, led of course, by the freshmen. They were 8-12!!
^^^ this . Ines was solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog