UConn/Tennessee Home & Home Likely Not Going to Happen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/Tennessee Home & Home Likely Not Going to Happen

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but this is a serious question. Do you think BC would go back and change their position on Uconn based on what they know now? It would seem to me that having another New England institition would not be all that bad for them.

No. Insecurity and paranoia combined are two very powerful emotions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but this is a serious question. Do you think BC would go back and change their position on Uconn based on what they know now? It would seem to me that having another New England institition would not be all that bad for them.

I think BC would be more likely to support today, but still wouldn't. Cuse would be a hard no. Miami, Clemson, Louisville are hard no's. Pitt is likely a yes just to get back into NYC on a more regular basis.

We won't be invited unless outside events make it a necessity for the ACC.

Reaction Score

Maybe Ed can find out if a spy showed the Tennessee coaches the video of Travis Jones bending the goal post with his bare hands?

Seriously if you're a mid level program fighting for every win in the top conference in the land, do you really want to play UConn twice in HCRE's 2nd or 3rd year as coach?

download.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Carolina schools could not understand BC's position but deferred to them as a regional prerogative. They were drooling over having UConn BB.

Reaction Score
The Carolina schools could not understand BC's position but deferred to them as a regional prerogative. They were drooling over having UConn BB.
I have heard that very thing. Oddly Miami wanted us too but they also deferred to to their former butt boy.

Reaction Score
Paying would work out for the Vols...

An average home game is worth $2 + million to a P5 home team..more if you seat 80,000 or more...the contract was made in 1998 when $500,000 was probably a buy out.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Paying would work out for the Vols...

An average home game is worth $2 + million to a P5 home team..more if you seat 80,000 or more...the contract was made in 1998 when $500,000 was probably a buy out.

The contract was made in 2008.

Reaction Score
I think this question is much more pertinent if UConn football surprises this fall and next, and Hurley is named NCOY, Geno rolls on, Penders baseball team makes the super regionals, and UConn academics gets another bump up the ladder. It could happen, me the optimist. Lol

Reaction Score
The most inevitable outcome of almost anything in UConn football history.

I'd take $1M+ (Clemson was $1.2M) buy game and play them at Tennessee.

We need the money.

Work on realistic home/homes going forward meaning more BYU, Boise State, and the former Big East schools.

And make Tennessee Men's and Women's Basketball each play a one-off in Storrs.

Reaction Score
The contract was made in 2008.

yeah..meant 2008....the buyouts were smaller 10 years back...

Last year, Miami cancelled against Arkansas State (@ ark.) because of possible hurricane conditions in Miami. They didn't want their players out of town with a hurricane expected to hit.

Miami is being sued for the $650,000 contract buy out.

Miami counter sued...probably will be a settlement at a figure below the buy out.

Reaction Score
NC State was a hard no. UNC and Duke locked together and wanted a decent BB team over a FB team. At the time, you needed 75% of the 12 schools. The no's were BC, Clemson, FSU, UVA, VT, Miami and NC State. Add in that they were armed with the TV $$$ to be added by the various schools, and the deck was stacked against Uconn.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
NC State was a hard no. UNC and Duke locked together and wanted a decent BB team over a FB team. At the time, you needed 75% of the 12 schools. The no's were BC, Clemson, FSU, UVA, VT, Miami and NC State. Add in that they were armed with the TV $$$ to be added by the various schools, and the deck was stacked against Uconn.
Interesting. Hadn't heard NCSt or UVA. Do remember where you heard this?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Too bad we couldn't make this home and home work by sweetening the pot for TN with some M and W basketball action and throw in a mens baseball visit.

UMass's near victory last year probably sealed the deal against UConn.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Hadn't heard NCSt or UVA. Do remember where you heard this?
A senior, non-ESPN related media consultant from a company that had and continues to have a vested interest in the ACC.

Reaction Score
That's because UVA being a no vote is total BS. I don't know about NC State but UVA was with Duke and UNC in the pro-UCONN camp.

That was true the last time round. I think UVA and NC State voted against way back when. The last time, all 4 Carolina schools were in our camp, but got bullied by FSU and to a lesser degree Clemson.

Reaction Score
That's because UVA being a no vote is total BS. I don't know about NC State but UVA was with Duke and UNC in the pro-UCONN camp.
Per the person I talked with, UVA was a no on all expansion votes except when it came to adding VT and that was only a yes because of VA politics. At the time of the last round of expansion, UVA BB was near the middle/bottom of the ACC and FB was closer to the top.

And since none of us was in the room, we all have to rely on second/third hand reports. I would like to know why you are so positive UVA was a yes vote.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That was what was reported at the time. I think NC State was reported as a yes too.

Reaction Score
Back on topic...

Tennessee Attempting To Renege On Home-And-Home Contract With UConn, Randy Edsall Says

>>Edsall said athletic director David Benedict explained the situation to him recently and that the two agreed they should push Tennessee for at least a game in Knoxville, whether or not the Volunteers honor the home-and-home agreement.

“We feel, hey we had a contract signed, we should be getting something out of that,” Edsall said. “So we’re just trying to do our due diligence for our program and trying to hold people accountable to something we had. Whether we can have it as a home-and-home, I don’t know, but we’re gonna explore our possibilities to at least get something out of something that we had signed.”<<

>>Though Edsall sounded resigned to giving up UConn’s home game against Tennessee, he said he hoped the schools could agree to a so-called “guarantee game” in Knoxville. If that were to happen, Tennessee would pay UConn a negotiated figure, possibly above the $300,000 outlined in the original contract between the schools.

The original contract between UConn and Tennessee, obtained by The Courant through a Freedom of Information request, established that in the event of a breach of contract, the breaching party would pay $1 million to the other school. However, with the sides engaged in conversation, such a payout appears unlikely.<<

Reaction Score
Back on topic...

Tennessee Attempting To Renege On Home-And-Home Contract With UConn, Randy Edsall Says

>>Edsall said athletic director David Benedict explained the situation to him recently and that the two agreed they should push Tennessee for at least a game in Knoxville, whether or not the Volunteers honor the home-and-home agreement.

“We feel, hey we had a contract signed, we should be getting something out of that,” Edsall said. “So we’re just trying to do our due diligence for our program and trying to hold people accountable to something we had. Whether we can have it as a home-and-home, I don’t know, but we’re gonna explore our possibilities to at least get something out of something that we had signed.”<<

>>Though Edsall sounded resigned to giving up UConn’s home game against Tennessee, he said he hoped the schools could agree to a so-called “guarantee game” in Knoxville. If that were to happen, Tennessee would pay UConn a negotiated figure, possibly above the $300,000 outlined in the original contract between the schools.

The original contract between UConn and Tennessee, obtained by The Courant through a Freedom of Information request, established that in the event of a breach of contract, the breaching party would pay $1 million to the other school. However, with the sides engaged in conversation, such a payout appears unlikely.<<
The $1m would be good. Seems to be the going rate for selling a UConn game with both the Fenway BC game and the guarantee at Clemson being right around there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom