UConn still the team to beat | The Boneyard

UConn still the team to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With all thats been going on win WCBB imo UConn is still the team to beat. UConn is loaded and they have 3 HS number 1 guards and a number 2 HS guard. There has been alot of fans upset we didnt get Cardoso. Hey it wouldve been great to have a 6'7 post player but its better to have what we have in the long run. If she came whoat wouldve happened with our other bigs???? We're loaded with bigs who can play and with our freshman and incoming class next season well I like where we are right now with depth and the spacing of bigs.

If you look at past UConn teams we won with great guard/ perimeter play for the most part. Some fans are abscessed with height. I will take Diana and Sue and Paige Azzi Christyn Nika and Evina in a minute over taller players. A couple of thoughts. Guards dont get in as much foul trouble as bigs. Bigs have a tendency to get into foul trouble more. Bigs dont score as much as good guards and perimeter players. Now there are exceptions. UConn is loaded for the next few seasons. So are SC and Stanford. With Paige Azzi and Caroline, there isnt a team in WCBB with a backcourt that comes close to them with the ability to score. UConn will put on a show this season. As good and as loaded as UConn is and the talent is off the charts as is the potential I dont think we can loose barring injuries.

There's been alot of complaining and frustration about height. Well we are 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4. Now Liv imo will be a much improved scorer this season. Dorka will be another version of Edwards/Thor(thanks Milford Husky and we have Amari a freshman and Piath who will gain experience and both will see more minutes as the season moves into February. Then we've got the best backcourt in WCBB. Maybe I see things differently then some of you. UConn is really really really good and I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can beat them.

Now the argument will be well SC is 6'7 and 6'5 and Stanford will be 6'7 6'5 and they have a great incoming classes to. I have to agree theyre really good. Hey we beat SC last season with a team that was lead by underclassman. Now SC got Cardoso, Stanford got Betts and UConn got Fudd and company. Fudd has been said to be a generational player and she is. Paige is NPOY and NFOY. Its gonna be a show and both are great shooters scorers and unselfish players. BTW my cousin played against Paige in HS and played with Azzi in her backyard. My cousin Sara Scalia is a soph who plays for Minnesota and starts as a sophomore. She too is a great shooter and flew under the radar during the recruiting process. My cousins say Azzi is on a level like Maya Moore. Now think about this. We know who great Paige is and add Azzi and Caroline in the mix. In addition we are big inside with strength and depth. I remember watching Diana and how she lead her team against a very big Tenn team and we have 2 players in Paige and Azzi who are much like Diana. I have no worries. Yeah we may not win every game by 40 pts and maybe not every game by double digits but we're gonna win and we're gonna be in the FF again and again and again.

Reaction Score
With all thats been going on win WCBB imo UConn is still the team to beat. UConn is loaded and they have 3 HS number 1 guards and a number 2 HS guard. There has been alot of fans upset we didnt get Cardoso. Hey it wouldve been great to have a 6'7 post player but its better to have what we have in the long run. If she came whoat wouldve happened with our other bigs???? We're loaded with bigs who can play and with our freshman and incoming class next season well I like where we are right now with depth and the spacing of bigs.

If you look at past UConn teams we won with great guard/ perimeter play for the most part. Some fans are abscessed with height. I will take Diana and Sue and Paige Azzi Christyn Nika and Evina in a minute over taller players. A couple of thoughts. Guards dont get in as much foul trouble as bigs. Bigs have a tendency to get into foul trouble more. Bigs dont score as much as good guards and perimeter players. Now there are exceptions. UConn is loaded for the next few seasons. So are SC and Stanford. With Paige Azzi and Caroline, there isnt a team in WCBB with a backcourt that comes close to them with the ability to score. UConn will put on a show this season. As good and as loaded as UConn is and the talent is off the charts as is the potential I dont think we can loose barring injuries.

There's been alot of complaining and frustration about height. Well we are 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4. Now Liv imo will be a much improved scorer this season. Dorka will be another version of Edwards/Thor(thanks Milford Husky and we have Amari a freshman and Piath who will gain experience and both will see more minutes as the season moves into February. Then we've got the best backcourt in WCBB. Maybe I see things differently then some of you. UConn is really really really good and I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can beat them.

Now the argument will be well SC is 6'7 and 6'5 and Stanford will be 6'7 6'5 and they have a great incoming classes to. I have to agree theyre really good. Hey we beat SC last season with a team that was lead by underclassman. Now SC got Cardoso, Stanford got Betts and UConn got Fudd and company. Fudd has been said to be a generational player and she is. Paige is NPOY and NFOY. Its gonna be a show and both are great shooters scorers and unselfish players. BTW my cousin played against Paige in HS and played with Azzi in her backyard. My cousin Sara Scalia is a soph who plays for Minnesota and starts as a sophomore. She too is a great shooter and flew under the radar during the recruiting process. My cousins say Azzi is on a level like Maya Moore. Now think about this. We know who great Paige is and add Azzi and Caroline in the mix. In addition we are big inside with strength and depth. I remember watching Diana and how she lead her team against a very big Tenn team and we have 2 players in Paige and Azzi who are much like Diana. I have no worries. Yeah we may not win every game by 40 pts and maybe not every game by double digits but we're gonna win and we're gonna be in the FF again and again and again.
Agree. While Stanford has updated their offensive flow the past couple of years (hmmmm, their movement looks much like ours), with our shooters, passing, and balance, I like our chances. A couple of other teams may have a comparable amount of talent, but, the sum of the parts doesn't guarantee a greater whole...its all how you coach em up! It should be fun:cool:

Reaction Score
Let me see if I understand you correctly, Tony, if you can score 3's outside at will and then score inside the paint with the "Bigs" that we have, it will be a winning combination against top teams like SC.

Reaction Score
Cardoso would have made UConn a better team. She makes S.C. a better team.

Based on the results of the 2021 FF as well as recruiting and transfers, S.C. is the "team to beat" heading into next season,
imo, albeit not by a wide margin.

It's been a few years since UConn was "the team to beat". We certainly weren't that last year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's been a few years since UConn was "the team to beat". We certainly weren't that last year.
Understandable, since the Huskies had to rely so much on a trio of freshmen, a couple of inconsistent juniors, and another junior struggling to overcome injuries. That the team was able to perform at a high level for most of the year was a pleasant surprise to me.

Reaction Score
Yeah that game at South Carolina next season is gonna be tough. Took everything Paige had plus OT to win in Storrs this past season. South Carolina is becoming the new top program. Dawn is one heck of a recruiter.

Reaction Score
Understandable, since the Huskies had to rely so much on a trio of freshmen, a couple of inconsistent juniors, and another junior struggling to overcome injuries. That the team was able to perform at a high level for most of the year was a pleasant surprise to me.
Same here! As I've said previously, last Nov I would have happily signed for how the season unfolded. It was a very successful one.

PS: By "last year", I meant '19-20.

Reaction Score

Based on the results of the 2021 FF as well as recruiting and transfers, S.C. is the "team to beat" heading into next season,

Agree with your post i go by the eye test against non big east teams where the competition is of similar ability
5 games like that last year 2 losses,an overtime win at home a last possession win against Baylor and a come from behind win in 4th quarter against tenn. I say this not to diminish at all the accomplishments of this past year’s team as the exceeded what I thought they were capable of
UConn Will certainly be in the mix for the national championship and maybe the.new
Additions and improved play all around will
Make UConn the favorite in March but right now t think it’s a stretch

Orc

Reaction Score
My concern against SC next season is Uconn guards doing everything and becoming a jumpshooting team because of our frontcourts inability to score against them. SC is gonna be a tough to beat especially at home

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn may or may not be the team to beat, but the semi-final game appears to be the game to win. If UConn goes unbeaten all the way up to the semi-final, and then loses again, will the season be a success? For every other program, yes. But UConn, for better or worse, has set the bar higher.

Personally, I don't believe next season is a fait accompli, but should nevertheless be very entertaining. As fans, we should not bemoan the growing equity in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Yeah we may not win every game by 40 pts and maybe not every game by double digits but we're gonna win and we're gonna be in the FF again and again and again.

What have you done with the real @Tonyc? Why are you only talking about being in the FF now because that has not been the problem? :p

Reaction Score
Haven’t been the team to beat since Gabby & Kia’s senior year. I think Stanford is the team to beat(not that I think they are better because I think UConn are SC are both better imo) they won the championship so they are the team to beat til proven otherwise. The Breanna Stewart era is over; there will be no more blowouts by 20+ against top teams

Reaction Score
Also we don’t exactly know how freshmen will play (Azzi, Caroline) before they play a game. Although I do expect Azzi to be the best or second best player on team. There are a still players in front of them and with Evina returning we don’t know how minutes will be distributed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

It would have nice to have 6'7", yes...but it would have also dislocated expectations of the capable bigs we now have (including freshman) That group may very well provide enough height to excel.

Remember how Morgan Tuck used to manhandle (strange choice of words) much bigger opponents on "D"...An inch or two isn't going to make that much difference.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the potential for unstoppable outside shooting that this team
enjoys + plenty of muscle inside.

The concern shown by some about a player yet to show Griner type propensity is out of all
proportion to reality.

We'll be more than fine.
With all thats been going on win WCBB imo UConn is still the team to beat.

Reaction Score

Ahhhh, a bit of reassurance. I feel better now. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Also we don’t exactly know how freshmen will play (Azzi, Caroline) before they play a game. Although I do expect Azzi to be the best or second best player on team. There are a still players in front of them and with Evina returning we don’t know how minutes will be distributed.
As a matter of fact, if you thought Aaliyah was good as a Freshman....just wait. Our front line will be just fine:cool:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
During the regular season, I had these thoughts:
L'ville - toss up
Baylor (cancelled) - loss
Tenn - win
Arkansas - win (oops)
SC - loss

My heart said pick them to win in the NCAA bracket challenge. My head said I don't think they will get by Baylor. I was off by a game.

Reaction Score
6 months and counting down until the first preseason game. I can hardly wait ! I believe Dorka is a better player that Cardoso, my opinion only. I haven’t had season tickets for the last two years, just placed my order to get back in with you fellow BY’S, the cool crowd! Can’t wait to meet ya’al come fall! UConn is the team to beat for me! So looking forward to the incoming class! WOWSER!

Reaction Score
6 months and counting down until the first preseason game. I can hardly wait ! I believe Dorka is a better player that Cardoso, my opinion only. I haven’t had season tickets for the last two years, just placed my order to get back in with you fellow BY’S, the cool crowd! Can’t wait to meet ya’al come fall! UConn is the team to beat for me! So looking forward to the incoming class! WOWSER!
Would agree with you about Dorka, in two or three years, maybe not. But, if you watch her around the basket, she’s fairly precise - she’s a big that knows how to use the backboard, and does’t miss many. That’s one thing I’m looking forward to with ICE - she knows how to use the glass with her 5 - 10 ft shots on the wing - she is smooth?? It’s almost a forgotten art.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Now that's rational thinking....

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
JimR-I’m not looking to the next two or three years. I’m looking at next year. I’d rather have Dorka than Cardoso. Oh and BTW, how many championships did Griner win? What’s her height again? Just saying.........
...and if Cardoso had committed to UCONN and Dorka to SC...you would switch that statement....lol....

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
My concern against SC next season is Uconn guards doing everything and becoming a jumpshooting team because of our frontcourts inability to score against them. SC is gonna be a tough to beat especially at home
you, and a lot of other people, seem to think the whole of the game revolves around our offensive output in the quarter court. geez.

the opponents' 'bigs' won't have much effect on our offense when we're running, or pulling them away from the paint, or just plain beating them with sharp passing or spectacular playmaking. it's not all dependent on great shooting from deep.

as for stopping the 'bigs' offensively -- well, we've shown that's no big problem, over and over. and those that do score well haven't scored enough to overcome our output (well, perhaps sylvia in the FF?)

Anyway, what consistently gets lost in the shuffle in these BY musings is the Huskies D, which by March if not sooner is monstrous and truly a tough nut for any foe we may encounter. with our upcoming roster, it will be more fierce than ever.

i'm confident tonyc would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104