UConn @ Southern Mississippi (Fri. 2/26/21 @ 5p/ET, Sat. 2/27/21 @ 2p/ET & Sun. 2/28/21 @ Noon/ET) Games are on CUSA-TV | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Southern Mississippi (Fri. 2/26/21 @ 5p/ET, Sat. 2/27/21 @ 2p/ET & Sun. 2/28/21 @ Noon/ET) Games are on CUSA-TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn goes down in order, game over.

On a side note, I haven't heard Chris Jones complain about balls and strikes by the umpires like this in a long, long time.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Unbelievably frustrating game against a team that is in no way, shape, or form better than us in any way. We outplayed them most of the game and got no breaks whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Unbelievably frustrating game against a team that is in no way, shape, or form better than us in any way. We outplayed them most of the game and got no breaks whatsoever.
All losses suck but in the end, my sense is these won't be "bad" losses based on USM's C-USA history.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
All losses suck but in the end, my sense is these won't be "bad" losses based on USM's C-USA history.
They are not bad losses but whenever you outhit a team like we did and still lose, luck was involved.

I am familiar with USM as Rice plays them every year. Definitely a good program. It’s a minor miracle that they are 2-0 against us though.

Reaction Score
Over the years that I have been following UConn baseball I have tended to take a bit of optimistic view of things, even when things are not going so good. I continue to do so now. UConn is losing by 1 or 2 runs to some very good teams (I am quite willing to trust Kendall Rogers in his judgement about USM). It is still very early in the season, and the problems UConn is having seem correctable. The pitchers need to cut back in issuing freebies (walks and hit by pitches) to opposing teams, and the UConn hitters need to cut way back on the strikeouts. Many of the players on this team are veterans, especially the position players, and they just need to get back to the level that we have seen them play in the past. And there seems to be plenty of different arms that the coaching staff can use on this pitching staff. Considering UConn's loses are all very tight games, just a little improvement could result in changing potential future losses to wins.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Over the years that I have been following UConn baseball I have tended to take a bit of optimistic view of things, even when things are not going so good. I continue to do so now. UConn is losing by 1 or 2 runs to some very good teams (I am quite willing to trust Kendall Rogers in his judgement about USM). It is still very early in the season, and the problems UConn is having seem correctable. The pitchers need to cut back in issuing freebies (walks and hit by pitches) to opposing teams, and the UConn hitters need to cut way back on the strikeouts. Many of the players on this team are veterans, especially the position players, and they just need to get back to the level that we have seen them play in the past. And there seems to be plenty of different arms that the coaching staff can use on this pitching staff. Considering UConn's loses are all very tight games, just a little improvement could result in changing potential future losses to wins.
We need the clutch hit to put up some crooked numbers. That will happen soon I hope. We are close but just need to get over the hump.

Reaction Score
We need the clutch hit to put up some crooked numbers. That will happen soon I hope. We are close but just need to get over the hump.

Clutch hits are certainly nice, but I would not underestimate the value of a hitter putting the ball in play. Even if you don't get a hit, there is a value to advance runners on base and potentially score them. As long as you are not hitting into double plays, there is a value to this. It also gives the fielders a chance to make a mistake, which does happen from time to time in college ball, and even minor league ball (god knows, I've seen plenty of minor league games in Norwich). When a team is striking out about 15 times a game as UConn has been doing, putting the ball into play simply goes out the window. A strikeout does not put any pressure on the defense to make a play in the field.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Clutch hits are certainly nice, but I would not underestimate the value of a hitter putting the ball in play. Even if you don't get a hit, there is a value to advance runners on base and potentially score them. As long as you are not hitting into double plays, there is a value to this. It also gives the fielders a chance to make a mistake, which does happen from time to time in college ball, and even minor league ball (god knows, I've seen plenty of minor league games in Norwich). When a team is striking out about 15 times a game as UConn has been doing, putting the ball into play simply goes out the window. A strikeout does not put any pressure on the defense to make a play in the field.
I agree- but what has been missing has been the big key hit- we had 14 hits yesterday - one big two out hit or someone hitting a homer with 2 on has been the difference between winning and losing.

Reaction Score
I agree- but what has been missing has been the big key hit- we had 14 hits yesterday - one big two out hit or someone hitting a homer with 2 on has been the difference between winning and losing.

Actually, we're kind of arguing the same thing, as the games have been so close that cleaning up a couple things could lead to wins for Coach Penders and the team. Part of my point is that it is a little difficult to get a clutch hit if batters are not putting the ball into play and striking out instead.

Reaction Score
KFed getting a day off to start...

After getting pinched hit for yesterday, I was wondering if Kyler Fedko was going to get the day off today. The lineup today manages to get both Brown and Langer into it, as well as Ben Maycock (I admit I've always been intrigued by Maycock's power and speed potential, while acknowledging that he hasn't taken advantage of previous opportunities to play, such as being a starter at the beginning of last season). Coach Penders taking advantage of the teams depth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, we're kind of arguing the same thing, as the games have been so close that cleaning up a couple things could lead to wins for Coach Penders and the team. Part of my point is that it is a little difficult to get a clutch hit if batters are not putting the ball into play and striking out instead.

While I've been arguing about putting the ball in play, to me the most important thing on baseball offense is getting players on base. The more players on base in multiple innings, the more chances you have to score. To me a good offense is going to leave a lot more runners on base. UConn offense on base percentage currently is .335, as opposed to .356 for the opposition.

Reaction Score
I feel pretty good about the line-up today. We've been getting hits so if we can fix a few things and get less strike outs we should win this one. The games have been so close and I really hope we can walk away with one win this weekend. Let's go boys!

Reaction Score
Top 1st, UConn goes down in order with the help of some good defense in the field for USM.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Austin Peterson with an easy 1-2-3 inning. No score.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, Crawford with a 1 out double, Maycock is hit by another pitch (fourth of the season already) with 2 out, but they are stranded. No score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom