UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno was pretty upbeat after the game
He may change his mind after viewing the film.

In the first quarter and at times during the game
UConn played right into the Hall's hands by adopting their tempo rather than setting our own...Hall tried to use as much of the clock as possible and had decent movement schemes which required patience and persistence on D ; which was in somewhat short supply. That together with some (again impatient) attempted home-run passes, allowed the Pirates to have hope where none should have existed.

And yes, Ash had her first off-night in memory and Ice didn't build much on her last game...but UConn sure played a lot better when she first came in...her heft was required at that moment.

I thought Q was just fine and KK was a difference maker ...so nice when we have a penetrating guard; and the seniors came through and Beckers dominated as she can...

But I sure missed the cohesion and lovely BB of recent games...

BTW: I thought the announcing team was quite off in describing the Hall kids as being tired in the 2nd quarter...They then came out with plenty of spunk after the half...the talent differential was just too great.
I think he was happy for the same reason I was happy. Winning every game by 40 isn’t going to help later in the season. Playing meaningful possessions in the fourth quarter is something this team hasn’t had to do in any game this season really and they responded well.

Reaction Score
This has to be one of the closest 24 point wins ever. I felt like none of our leads was going to be safe, especially with all the bodies being put on the floor, and if you had UConn on your uniform, all by themselves apparently . :eek:
I'm still baffled by Amari. To me it was another game where it looked to me like she didn't seem to want to be in the game. Looked like she was going through the motions and not very well.
Seemed like poor Ashlynn had a really off night. Felt bad for here. And I guess Qadence did too because she seemed to be a spark plug in the first half so I was expecting some valuable 3rd and 4th quarter minutes, but maybe it was because SH was cutting into the lead in the 3rd. Just curious why she didn't get more time in the 2nd half.
Oh well, we won by 24. Good win for the good guys!
I was surprised as well about Q being held out, but then Geno praised her in his post game floor interview. So, who knows... Both her scores were awesome.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall’s post players were so unathletic that their only alternative when guarding Aaliyah was to beat her up. It happens every game. Tonight seemed a little too obvious.

UCONN always gets the opponent’s best shot. Other than a lousy second quarter, Seton Hall put up a fight.

One of the fun things about this team is guessing who is going to do something special besides the seniors. KK shot well from three was a big help with Nika and Ashlynn having off nights shooting.

I am getting amazed whenever Paige misses a shot. I am thrilled that the collision only kept her out for a short time.

I am not sure why Bruce Morris gets to ref as many big games as he does. I think he is inconsistent.

First time in a while that Shade got hounded on the outside. I thought a couple of her fouls were borderline at best.

Not pretty by any stretch but they were due for a “stinker”. If you consider a 24 point road win a stinker.
We dodged a bullet tonight with Paige! I was pretty scared til I saw her smiling. Nevertheless, that could easily have been another Caroline situation! Thank God she is OK, though she may be sore for a couple of days.She is just an amazing player! I feel so grateful she’s a Husky! Tonight was yet another reminder of how she gives us a chance against anyone.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Ugly win but sure better then ugly loss.
*This game was way too physical, and the refs didn't have a good control of it despite all the foul calls.
*How does a team that can't hit 3's al season, hits so many against UConn?
*Paige: All world and that for sure was needed today. When she got injured, i think all Husky Nation stopped breathing. It was so good to see her back in the game and in a full Paige mode. I assume she'll have a serious headache tomorrow.
*AE: was beaten down tie and time again and didn't get as many calls as she should have. It is amazing that she didn't lose her cool. A real good game by her!
*KK: great game by her! her 3-point shooting is so much more improved!
*Nika: an ok game but for some reason was too hesitant on some open shots.
*Shade: not a good game by her. Slow on defense and not a factor on offense. That said, it was a good timing for the points she did core.
*Q: was pretty good. Fighting on defense and in the few minutes she plays was effective on offense as well.
*Ice: not an improvement over her last 2 games.
*Ines and Amari: played too little to leave an impression.
*FOG: KK!
*Some of those turnovers came from trying to be too fancy.
*A nerve-racking game that i was happy when it was over.

Reaction Score
Paige 32 pts on 70% shooting, including 50% from 3, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks. The only blemish was the 4-7 on FTs. The thing is, you hardly notice it's happening until you check the boxscore. Silky smooth efficiency.

KK shot 4-6 from 3 and has pulled her 3pt% up to 40% after a dry spell over the last 3 games.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*This game was way too physical, and the refs didn't have a good control of it despite all the foul calls.
*Paige: All world and that for sure was needed today. When she got injured, i think all Husky Nation stopped breathing. It was so good to see her back in the game and in a full Paige mode. I assume she'll have a serious headache tomorrow.
*AE: was beaten down tie and time again and didn't get as many calls as she should have. It is amazing that she didn't lose her cool. A real good game by her!
*Shade: not a good game by her. Slow on defense and not a factor on offense. That said, it was a good timing for the points she did core.
*Q: was pretty good. Fighting on defense and in the few minutes she plays was effective on offense as well.
I disagree on both Ash and Ice. Though they did not have great games, the effort was still there, Ice chased down a ball and just wrestled it away from a SH player, something she wouldn’t have done three games ago. As for Ash, I think SH focused on her and simply took her out of the game. Even so, her effort was there and she still contributed. Obviously a down game but I didn’t feel she gave up. Q was another player that, while she didn’t set the world on fire, she gave good effort and played under control.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well...it appears that my read on this game was almost spot on. Seton Hall's graduate-laden line-up and their defensive play...kept them close. It was as I feared if UConn did not have a good shooting day (Paige notwithstanding) and if Seton Hall was able to play tough defensively that the MOV would be low. Unfortunately, I pegged it at 32 when in actuality it was 24. I was also close but no cigar on the score...I had UConn at 87 they got 83...I had Seton Hall at 55 they got 59...but who the heck thought they would go 11 for 26 from 3-point and shoot the 3-ball at 42.3 percent? While they have not played the same level of competitive opponents that UConn has...they were almost at their average in turnovers forcing UConn into 18 turnovers. They also had 10 steals. I think the stats were pretty close to playing out in this one.

On the offensive end...while Paige had a monster scoring game and still pulled down 7 rebounds we can't overlook Aaliyah flirting with a double-double with 17 and 9. Muhl had a double-digit assist game with 10. There must have been something going on with Ashlynn as she only took 5 shots...and appeared to have an off-game. KK, however, kicked it into the next gear from 3-point land going 4-6. She also contributed 4 assists. Finally, it was good to see Samuels come off the bench and add some energy and 5 points going 2 for 2 from the floor.

Reaction Score
I disagree on both Ash and Ice. Though they did not have great games, the effort was still there, Ice chased down a ball and just wrestled it away from a SH player, something she wouldn’t have done three games ago. As for Ash, I think SH focused on her and simply took her out of the game. Even so, her effort was there and she still contributed. Obviously a down game but I didn’t feel she gave up. Q was another player that, while she didn’t set the world on fire, she gave good effort and played under control.
The effort was there...i don't think we'll ever see a game where Shade doesn't play hard but in this game she simply missed some defensive assignments on the switches.

Reaction Score
PJCLaw- - Amari played 2 minutes!
IMHO you really can't form an opinion in 2 minutes of play! Especially at the end of the game!
It was an ugly style of BB by both teams and a lot didn't look, PRETTY!
The UConn STANDARD is to not play to the score or the time in the game! Treat the last two minutes like the first two as it relates to effort! Playing ugly with effort is waaaay different than playing ugly because you are giving no effort. Stop making excuses for anyone, not just Amari, who plays according to the score or the time in the game. I guarantee you Geno wouldn't agree with your sentiments! If he wants you engaged on the BENCH, what makes you think he will accept lackadaisical play in the game?

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I wondered about one of the plays that the announcers mentioned too.
On one of Baines's blocks of a shot by Aaliyah, we got to see her say something and it appeared to be directed at Aaliyah. It looked like a taunt to me. And when the announcers said that Aaliyah spoke immediately to the ref that was next to them, I gotta think that Aaliyah felt like it was a taunt too.
Another example of tonight's refs doing their best Sgt. Schultz impressions which, IMO, happened way too frequently.

Reaction Score
Full picture.

IMG_8290.jpeg

Reaction Score
Geno was pretty upbeat after the game
He may change his mind after viewing the film.

In the first quarter and at times during the game
UConn played right into the Hall's hands by adopting their tempo rather than setting our own...Hall tried to use as much of the clock as possible and had decent movement schemes which required patience and persistence on D ; which was in somewhat short supply. That together with some (again impatient) attempted home-run passes, allowed the Pirates to have hope where none should have existed.

And yes, Ash had her first off-night in memory and Ice didn't build much on her last game...but UConn sure played a lot better when she first came in...her heft was required at that moment.

I thought Q was just fine and KK was a difference maker ...so nice when we have a penetrating guard; and the seniors came through and Beckers dominated as she can...

But I sure missed the cohesion and lovely BB of recent games...

BTW: I thought the announcing team was quite off in describing the Hall kids as being tired in the 2nd quarter...They then came out with plenty of spunk after the half...the talent differential was just too great.
You are dead wrong. Even the Seton Hall coach said his team got tired in the second quarter.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
KK was wide open for her threes because Seton Hall was covering Ash like a blanket. When six out of the seven can shoot the three, someone will always be open; tonight it was KK.

Reaction Score
If you get a little gasoline on your hand, no big deal. But, if you have a cut on your hand it'll sting like all hell. The difference isn't the gas (effort), it's the cut (Amari). I am personally becoming sensitive to the constant bashing of Amari. It's not like she plays 40 minutes every game. Her minutes are commensurate with her level of contribution. So, why complain? Leave the kid alone already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If you get a little gasoline on your hand, no big deal. But, if you have a cut on your hand it'll sting like all hell. The difference isn't the gas (effort), it's the cut (Amari). I am personally becoming sensitive to the constant bashing of Amari. It's not like she plays 40 minutes every game. Her minutes are commensurate with her level of contribution. So, why complain? Leave the kid alone already.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I agree with you 100%. I’ve been following the Huskies since 1990 and I‘vie never seen this much disrespect directed at a player on our own team. I can think of so many kids who never played meaningful minutes, but that were loved by our fans. I understand that some people who think that with all the injuries that she simply needs to be more. But if she isn’t, if this is who she truly is, then stop harping on her. Just because they expect something doesn’t make it so. Some of the posters on here are acting like 5 year olds whining about something they want and can’t have. It makes us look bad as fans.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Whole lotta complaining going on for a kid that was on the court less than 2 minutes. Instead of playing the bench, maybe Geno should leave Aaliyah in at the end of a blowout so she can get beat up some more or maybe even hurt.

We are done talking about Amari in this thread if you only going to criticize her. (Not talking about you, @Skeets I’m just making a general statement)

Reaction Score
Seton Hall’s post players were so unathletic that their only alternative when guarding Aaliyah was to beat her up. It happens every game. Tonight seemed a little too obvious.

UCONN always gets the opponent’s best shot. Other than a lousy second quarter, Seton Hall put up a fight.

One of the fun things about this team is guessing who is going to do something special besides the seniors. KK shot well from three was a big help with Nika and Ashlynn having off nights shooting.

I am getting amazed whenever Paige misses a shot. I am thrilled that the collision only kept her out for a short time.

I am not sure why Bruce Morris gets to ref as many big games as he does. I think he is inconsistent.

First time in a while that Shade got hounded on the outside. I thought a couple of her fouls were borderline at best.

Not pretty by any stretch but they were due for a “stinker”. If you consider a 24 point road win a stinker.
Ashlynn "hounded on the outside"... My memory is less dependable... but... didn't Katie Lou go through a progression where it took opponents a while to figure out she was going to make threes all day unless they guarded her... and then (with coaching I'm sure) she began to mix it up all over the court and especially inside? She went from pretty much one dimension to very 3-D. Ashlynn will have the same challenge. And she'll meet it. She already moves well, finds space, and is very comfortable shooting the mid-range. Not sure what the "complexities" were last night. But no worries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ashlynn "hounded on the outside"... My memory is less dependable... but... didn't Katie Lou go through a progression where it took opponents a while to figure out she was going to make threes all day unless they guarded her... and then (with coaching I'm sure) she began to mix it up all over the court and especially inside? She went from pretty much one dimension to very 3-D. Ashlynn will have the same challenge. And she'll meet it. She already moves well, finds space, and is very comfortable shooting the mid-range. Not sure what the "complexities" were last night. But no worries.
UConn: 2 seniors, 1 R-junior (Paige), 1 R-freshman (Ice), 3 freshmen

Seton Hall: 5 graduate students, 2 seniors, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman

If either grad students Lou L-S or Dorka had been on the team, the Huskies would have had their calming “been there” demeanor to draw on. Those two contributed more than points and rebounds - experience counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom