UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One notable concern was toward the end of the game when Nika had an open 3 and halfway into her shot she changed her mind and tried a pass to Paige who had already broken in for a potential rebound. Pass went out of bounds and alas, another turnover. Nika was 0 for 3 from 3 and evidently this had gotten into her head and caused the hesitation. This shows she still is lacking confidence here in spite of having some great games recently shooting from 3. Hopefully Geno will perform his magic and get her back on board - we will need this more as the competition gets tougher.
Geno was not happy with that pass. She definitely needs to shoot more. During warm ups she was knocking down one dribble pull up jumpers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I saw it completely differently. I really didn't see, in all the replays, either one of them to have been at fault. They got tangled up, as bigs often do, and Aaliyah finally fell over her,causing the damage. When arms get tangled, whose at fault?
So here’s what I saw. Mckennah White, the SH player slid under Aaliyah as a shot went up. There was some of the usual bumping that occurs in the paint when two forwards are trying to position themselves for the rebound. Aaliyah extended her arm and left shoulder in front of White in an effort to establish position. White hooked her right arm around Aaliyah’s left arm and leveraged her hip into Aaliyah knocking her off balance. As Aaliyah was going down to the floor, she held on to White’s arm, as much as anything to protect herself from the fall. As a result, White fell on top of Aaliyah, but her leg ended up pinned underneath her causing the injury.

IMO White was at fault. But you don’t have to take my opinion. After reviewing the play on the court side video, the refs assessed a foul against White for the takedown.

Reaction Score
If you check the box score you will see Olsen went off for like 37 points. She averages 23. When we play them, it will be Nika time.
... and KK time, too! Olsen is a significant talent, really the core of the team now, and a suitable challenge for KK (with Nika's help) to shut dow n.

I was looking at the standings, and it looks like the last several games after we smack down the second place team, another team takes their place in the standings and the we smack down the next one, like a game of whack-a-mole. Who's up next? Villanova. Right after we deal with pesky DePaul.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
... and KK time, too! Olsen is a significant talent, really the core of the team now, and a suitable challenge for KK (with Nika's help) to shut dow n.

I was looking at the standings, and it looks like the last several games after we smack down the second place team, another team takes their place in the standings and the we smack down the next one, like a game of whack-a-mole. Who's up next? Villanova. Right after we deal with pesky DePaul.
Mostly Nika, with the rest of the Huskies switching on ball screens. Olsen is very good, but she doesn’t have Maddy Siegrist around this year to carry much of the scoring load, and UConn is not going to let one player beat them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought there were a bunch of UConn fouls after the White incident which seemed to be unrelated to play and were make-up for the physicality...and to show that we wouldn't be pushed around.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • UConn had been playing some beautiful basketball of late. But tonight’s game, not so much. Maybe it was the start of the spring semester. Maybe it was playing in an ancient band box of a gym. Maybe it was the 8:30 start time. But whatever it was, the Huskies played some pug-ugly basketball for much of the 1st qtr.
  • Fortunately, Paige held down the fort with some help from Aaliyah until UConn shook off their doldrums in the 2nd qtr. The Huskies started playing defense like we’ve come to expect, and began executing much better on offense, shooting 71% from the floor during the 1st half, with 14 assists on 17 made baskets.
  • More ugly basketball to start the 2nd half, including a scarry head and neck injury to Paige when KK dove into a pileup on the floor.
  • Paige shook it off and came in to take over the game, doing exactly what you expect from your superstar.
  • KK with some serious marksmanship of her own from the arc also hit some BIG shots tonight.
  • I liked just about everything Q did in her time on the court tonight.
  • Physical game. Seton Hall played hard, although I was not fond of the game degenerating into foul-fest. It’s amazing that no one from either team fouled out.
  • A win is a win is a win!!!
Your first bullet---it's a shame there are 2 teams on the floor at the same time!!! I thought the opposing coach did a great scouting job and a great executing job--with the talent he had.
I was disappointed in the Shades--that will change. I expect too much from the freshman---She made a believer out of me--so when she doesn't shoot or shoots and miss--I'm a terrible fan.
S.H. created a Foul to win game--and Paige and Edwards were the Victims. That tanglement prior to Paige's collision, was a mess to call properly--of course I don't agree with the call.
Q. She's coming into her own--took her a while to settle down in WCBB. She's a keeper and needed with Aubrey out for the year.
I was pleased KK made up for the Shades not scoring.
I sincerely hope there is no residual pain or muscle issues with her collision. KK must have a hard head and Nika didn't help.

Reaction Score
Why is everyone on Amari's ass, makes no sense to me. She played one minute. There were plenty of bad passes made by a lot more people, geez.
My 4 Cents--2 Cents, I believe DeBerry is a much better player than we have seen. She too is talented in the Scoring department. She certainly is a nice young woman. I'd like very much to see her prove the naysayers wrong. Intelligent young ladies can be harder to convince because they analyze everything.

Reaction Score
We were at the game. After about 6 minutes I said to my wife this is an Aubrey kind of game. They would have no answer for her. Plus she always plays well here.
as we learned from her last absence, she can be the difference-maker...........

Reaction Score
So here’s what I saw. Mckennah White, the SH player slid under Aaliyah as a shot went up. There was some of the usual bumping that occurs in the paint when two forwards are trying to position themselves for the rebound. Aaliyah extended her arm and left shoulder in front of White in an effort to establish position. White hooked her right arm around Aaliyah’s left arm and leveraged her hip into Aaliyah knocking her off balance. As Aaliyah was going down to the floor, she held on to White’s arm, as much as anything to protect herself from the fall. As a result, White fell on top of Aaliyah, but her leg ended up pinned underneath her causing the injury.

IMO White was at fault. But you don’t have to take my opinion. After reviewing the play on the court side video, the refs assessed a foul against White for the takedown.

It was always a foul. They assessed that it was just a common foul. Nothing dirty

Reaction Score

As a long-time high school wrestling coach, I was most impressed by Aaliyah using her left arm around White's hip and right leg, in which she actually did take her down. Alas, no 2 points for Aaliyah, as she didn't have control once they went down. Excuse my not being impressed by the refs' call, as these are the people who didn't do much of a job of controlling the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tend to think there is going to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the part of the W on draft day. I think a whole bunch of the top players will come back (for varying reasons) for their Covid year! One will have a chance to push the scoring record so far out of reach that it might never be broken. She also may want another shot at the ring and can likely count on her coach bringing in some serious portal help to go along with a imo very solid post commit. One player loves her school/teammates and imo is likely going to want to prolong that experience as long as possible! She too may want another shot at a ring. Another has no outside shot at all and may/should come back to try and develop one. Of course, the title winner this year will have one less incentive to stay but, depending on who it is, still might come back if she sees other advantages.
Finally, I truly think our own AE going at # 6 is a joke! She is going to be a star in that league. Having watched her practice last summer, it’s clear that she is going to soon be able to add the three to her game in a big way. When she does that, she will have all the tools to be a star. I don’t think it’s a matter of if but rather when she will break out in a big way! She is perfect for that league as she has both speed, strength, charisma, and character and is clearly on the brink of adding the outside game as well. I’m convinced she will be a better pro than at least two of the players in front of her on that board!

Reaction Score

Wait! Who is Olsen?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well...it appears that my read on this game was almost spot on. Seton Hall's graduate-laden line-up and their defensive play...kept them close. It was as I feared if UConn did not have a good shooting day (Paige notwithstanding) and if Seton Hall was able to play tough defensively that the MOV would be low. Unfortunately, I pegged it at 32 when in actuality it was 24. I was also close but no cigar on the score...I had UConn at 87 they got 83...I had Seton Hall at 55 they got 59...but who the heck thought they would go 11 for 26 from 3-point and shoot the 3-ball at 42.3 percent? While they have not played the same level of competitive opponents that UConn has...they were almost at their average in turnovers forcing UConn into 18 turnovers. They also had 10 steals. I think the stats were pretty close to playing out in this one.

On the offensive end...while Paige had a monster scoring game and still pulled down 7 rebounds we can't overlook Aaliyah flirting with a double-double with 17 and 9. Muhl had a double-digit assist game with 10. There must have been something going on with Ashlynn as she only took 5 shots...and appeared to have an off-game. KK, however, kicked it into the next gear from 3-point land going 4-6. She also contributed 4 assists. Finally, it was good to see Samuels come off the bench and add some energy and 5 points going 2 for 2 from the floor.
I have to chuckle when a 24 MOV is considered low. Its a beat down but not a scorched earth

Reaction Score
it was a 9 point game with 8 minutes remaining in Q4.

I realize that. The number that jumps out at me is the 10 points in the 3rd quarter. UConn has usually owned the 2&3 quarters except for the run last year when they were a little wore out. This part of the schedule is physically demanding and the record only matters if you make it into the tournament rested. They have two barometer games left and I would like to see them at their tournament level in those games so they know where the are set and where they need to focus down the stretch.

Everything gets tougher when you have as many injuries as UConn has this season but I do think they have a better team this year albeit a much shorter version. There I go again talking about length.

Reaction Score

I was there. It was a clear foul on White and she had been pushing and shoving Liyah all game. We are very lucky we didn't have a serious injury in that game.

Reaction Score
I was there. It was a clear foul on White and she had been pushing and shoving Liyah all game. We are very lucky we didn't have a serious injury in that game.
The good news is Coach Bosella said it's probably an ankle sprain, not a knee injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom