UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN @ Seton Hall post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Seton Hall’s post players were so unathletic that their only alternative when guarding Aaliyah was to beat her up. It happens every game. Tonight seemed a little too obvious.

UCONN always gets the opponent’s best shot. Other than a lousy second quarter, Seton Hall put up a fight.

One of the fun things about this team is guessing who is going to do something special besides the seniors. KK shot well from three was a big help with Nika and Ashlynn having off nights shooting.

I am getting amazed whenever Paige misses a shot. I am thrilled that the collision only kept her out for a short time.

I am not sure why Bruce Morris gets to ref as many big games as he does. I think he is inconsistent.

First time in a while that Shade got hounded on the outside. I thought a couple of her fouls were borderline at best.

Not pretty by any stretch but they were due for a “stinker”. If you consider a 24 point road win a stinker.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • UConn had been playing some beautiful basketball of late. But tonight’s game, not so much. Maybe it was the start of the spring semester. Maybe it was playing in an ancient band box of a gym. Maybe it was the 8:30 start time. But whatever it was, the Huskies played some pug-ugly basketball for much of the 1st qtr.
  • Fortunately, Paige held down the fort with some help from Aaliyah until UConn shook off their doldrums in the 2nd qtr. The Huskies started playing defense like we’ve come to expect, and began executing much better on offense, shooting 71% from the floor during the 1st half, with 14 assists on 17 made baskets.
  • More ugly basketball to start the 2nd half, including a scarry head and neck injury to Paige when KK dove into a pileup on the floor.
  • Paige shook it off and came in to take over the game, doing exactly what you expect from your superstar.
  • KK with some serious marksmanship of her own from the arc also hit some BIG shots tonight.
  • I liked just about everything Q did in her time on the court tonight.
  • Physical game. Seton Hall played hard, although I was not fond of the game degenerating into foul-fest. It’s amazing that no one from either team fouled out.
  • A win is a win is a win!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
These games pay dividends in the long run. It’s a style of play the team may see in the NCAA Tournament. The freshmen need to see this in person to know how to deal with these types of grind-‘em-out games

Reaction Score
Uconn earned this win tonight the hard way, But, a win is a win. There will always be that game that shouldn't have been and it may make posters to say some negative posts. I say Seton Hall fought as well as they could against a superior team and I commend them for a valiant effort. I will take and enjoy the win!!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I thought there was a big difference when Paige left the game with a neck injury.....so glad that she came back in. Slowly, but surely, I think that Q is starting to get in the rhythm of things.
A game like this teaches lessons to every one.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This has to be one of the closest 24 point wins ever. I felt like none of our leads was going to be safe, especially with all the bodies being put on the floor, and if you had UConn on your uniform, all by themselves apparently . :eek:
I'm still baffled by Amari. To me it was another game where it looked to me like she didn't seem to want to be in the game. Looked like she was going through the motions and not very well.
Seemed like poor Ashlynn had a really off night. Felt bad for here. And I guess Qadence did too because she seemed to be a spark plug in the first half so I was expecting some valuable 3rd and 4th quarter minutes, but maybe it was because SH was cutting into the lead in the 3rd. Just curious why she didn't get more time in the 2nd half.
Oh well, we won by 24. Good win for the good guys!

Reaction Score
Not that Shade is as good as Stewart was a a freshman, but Stewart had some "bad" games as a freshman due to the physicality of play. Hopefully, Geno can help her adjust to that type of play like Breanna did. Thank goodness KK found her 3pt shot again. Nika didn't show enough confidence in her shot tonight. Edwards and Bueckers were all-americans tonight.

Reaction Score
Kind of an off night, except for Paige...not counting her free throws, but I had a 47 Mov on this game. :D

Reaction Score
Nika has an outside chance of becoming the all time career assists leader if she keeps on having 10 plus every game. I can’t help think about the voluminous number of posters who didn’t think she should even be a starter on this team. It would be nice if at least some of them admitted just how ridiculous that was.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno was pretty upbeat after the game
He may change his mind after viewing the film.

In the first quarter and at times during the game
UConn played right into the Hall's hands by adopting their tempo rather than setting our own...Hall tried to use as much of the clock as possible and had decent movement schemes which required patience and persistence on D ; which was in somewhat short supply. That together with some (again impatient) attempted home-run passes, allowed the Pirates to have hope where none should have existed.

And yes, Ash had her first off-night in memory and Ice didn't build much on her last game...but UConn sure played a lot better when she first came in...her heft was required at that moment.

I thought Q was just fine and KK was a difference maker ...so nice when we have a penetrating guard; and the seniors came through and Beckers dominated as she can...

But I sure missed the cohesion and lovely BB of recent games...

BTW: I thought the announcing team was quite off in describing the Hall kids as being tired in the 2nd quarter...They then came out with plenty of spunk after the half...the talent differential was just too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom