UConn "Secret" Scrimmages | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn "Secret" Scrimmages

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Have Andrew fill in then. It’s just an event for fans anyways.

I went to the one last year. I think Hurley & the coaches (and players) view it as a legitimate practice where they will go hard. It's not a goofy fan-focused show like "First Night"
And the walk-ons do fill in. But the intent is to have two full strength comparable squads who can go hard against each other.

Reaction Score
It's a bit funny reading through this thread. All preseason Hurley told us about the incredible depth on this team and of course posters bought it, talking about us being 12 deep. Now two weeks from the first game and we can't even field a full team scrimmage.

Reaction Score
It's a bit funny reading through this thread. All preseason Hurley told us about the incredible depth on this team and of course posters bought it, talking about us being 12 deep. Now two weeks from the first game and we can't even field a full team scrimmage.
Who has ever talked about us being 12 deep? The overwhelming consensus is that we are likely running a 10 man rotation to start the year:

Guards: Jackson/Newton/Diarra/Hawkins/Alleyne/Joey
Forwards: Karaban/Sanogo/Johnson/Clingan

No one is expecting Apostolos or Yarin to see anything more than walk-on minutes. They're just practice bodies. Likely the same thing with Springs, again. Having 10 rotation level players with a couple "emergency level" players is about as good of depth as you will find anywhere in the country considering the bottom 2-3 players each year play musical chairs. Practice depth for a quality 5v5 scrimmage is a wildly different scenario than going into a game with a shortened rotation.

Reaction Score
Who has ever talked about us being 12 deep? The overwhelming consensus is that we are likely running a 10 man rotation to start the year:

Guards: Jackson/Newton/Diarra/Hawkins/Alleyne/Joey
Forwards: Karaban/Sanogo/Johnson/Clingan

No one is expecting Apostolos or Yarin to see anything more than walk-on minutes. They're just practice bodies. Likely the same thing with Springs, again. Having 10 rotation level players with a couple "emergency level" players is about as good of depth as you will find anywhere in the country considering the bottom 2-3 players each year play musical chairs. Practice depth for a quality 5v5 scrimmage is a wildly different scenario than going into a game with a shortened rotation.
Plenty of people have talked about Calcaterra, Springs, Yarin, and Apostolos playing.

Reaction Score
Great story! I wonder when it was for me that I realized I was washed (not that you're washed sir) but I think it was around the same age where I realilzed I couldn't run up and down the floor with top notch athletes, but I will say I had quite the comeback in my early 30's, probably played the best ball of my life from 28-34

Definitely washed and trust me he was washed well before this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn was originally slated to host its Blue/White Night on Monday, but rescheduled it for Nov. 2 in hopes that the Huskies will be able to field more of a complete team by then. If Karaban can participate, the event is likely to be more of an intrasquad scrimmage, perhaps divided into three 10-minute quarters. If Karaban can't play, the event will likely be more of an open practice.

What? One player's availability is going to dictate how the entire open practice is conducted? Seems a little strange.
It’s very concerning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ll be eating a third pound burger during the first quarter or first third unless I can get a quarter pound burger during the third quarter or third third.
200.gif

Reaction Score
Only reason we may be having trouble fielding a scrimmage is injuries. But DH spoke highly of both Springs and Roumoglou in his interview w Jared Kotler. I’d love to see Springs get some minutes this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I went to the one last year. I think Hurley & the coaches (and players) view it as a legitimate practice where they will go hard. It's not a goofy fan-focused show like "First Night"
If that were the case, he wouldn’t be making excuses about injuries. Do you think they stop scrimmaging in practice with 10+ healthy bodies?

Reaction Score
If that were the case, he wouldn’t be making excuses about injuries. Do you think they stop scrimmaging in practice with 10+ healthy bodies?

Of course not.They also don’t invite people over and try to put on a good show when they’re not at full strength or might have to put someone in a rough spot in his first exposure to fans. Nothing’s been decided, that was Borges’s take. “Making excuses”? I’m trying to figure out exactly what conspiracy one has to think is going on to be even mildly bothered by this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course not. They also don’t invite people over and try to put on a good show when they’re not at full strength or might have to put someone in a rough spot in his first exposure to fans. Nothing’s been decided, that was Borges’s take. I’m trying to figure out exactly what conspiracy one has to think is going on to be even mildly bothered by this.
No conspiracy but don't hype team depth if you're not even willing to scrimmage in front of the fans. Maybe just Borges's take but it will be strange if they call off scrimmaging in front of fans just because a couple of players are dinged up.

Reaction Score
Plenty of people have talked about Calcaterra, Springs, Yarin, and Apostolos playing.
Joey California will play, and he should play. He’s a good 3pt shooter and a lethal FT shooter. He has scored in double figures in 3 of his last 4 games against Gonzaga so he is clearly capable of playing against top competition. He’s the type of guy you bring in off the bench when you need a jolt, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a few games where he goes unconscious from 3 and scores 15+ points. I read this board every day, I haven’t seen a single rational poster say that Springs, Yarin, and Apostolos will be getting minutes. That’s nonsense lol

Reaction Score
I'm amazed by how some people on this board will find something to complain about every single day. I don't know how people make it through life if they're getting this worked up over such trivial things like calling something a practice vs a scrimmage

I'd rather see a practice anyways. I love seeing what skills we have guys working on.

Reaction Score
Johnson is going to shock a lot of people. Was lucky to go to a practice a few weeks back and he really impressed me. Him and Karaban were two of the better players out on the court.

Fantastic problem to have. I want to see Karaban and Johnson kicking the out of each other in practice to win PT.

Reaction Score
I read this board every day, I haven’t seen a single rational poster say that Springs, Yarin, and Apostolos will be getting minutes. That’s nonsense lol
Well, in fairness there has been some talk about Springs getting playing time, which was fueled by Hurley's comments at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast on October 7.

Frontcourt reserve Richie Springs, who’s played a total of 41 minutes in two seasons, rarely comes up in conversation when talking about the Huskies.

But Hurley mentioned Springs on Friday.

“If we had a game tonight, Richie would be in our rotation of top nine,” Hurley said. “If Richie is brutal today (in practice), he’ll fall out of that.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom