UConn searching for leadership | The Boneyard

UConn searching for leadership

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s a much different challenge than UConn has faced before. Historically, the Huskies were loaded with players who embraced leadership roles. I think back to the graduation of the Big 3 (Stewie, Tuck & Mo) in 2016, all extraordinary players and leaders. The very next year, four players stepped up into leadership roles (Gabby, Kia, Lou & Pheesa) as UConn continued to make one FF after another.

The one proven leader on the current UConn team is on the bench sporting crutches. Evina is clearly trying to lead, but the challenge of leading this team while playing out of position at pg, may be more than she can handle. Caroline is stepping up as a “go to” player. But her quiet personality doesn’t appear particularly well suited for leadership, at least not yet.

I actually think the one player who has the intelligence, experience and talent to step into a leadership role is Dorka. While it can be hard for a transfer to assume a leadership role, someone has to do it. Until Paige returns, Dorka may be our best option.

Reaction Score
One can be very quiet and be a leader.

Stewie was quiet, but she led with her actions.

Michael Phelps was very quiet, but he was a magnificent relay swimmer, and everyone wanted to swim on the relays with him.

Clearly ONO and CW are not leaders.

Maybe Caroline Ducharme, maybe Nika. Maybe Azzi from her actions, because she is very quiet.

We shall see.

Reaction Score

Stewie was quiet, but she led with her actions.

Michael Phelps was very quiet, but he was a magnificent relay swimmer, and everyone wanted to swim on the relays with him.

Clearly ONO and CW are not leaders.

Maybe Caroline Ducharme, maybe Nika. Maybe Azzi from her actions, because she is very quiet.

We shall see.

I wish I could like this post more than once. That's always been the rap on us quiet people, that we can't lead because we don't run our mouths all the time. It was very frustrating during my playing days ( I played softball for years)

I think a quiet but strong example can speak louder than any words because anyone can talk the talk but walk the walk? Not so much.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
It’s a much different challenge than UConn has faced before. Historically, the Huskies were loaded with players who embraced leadership roles. I think back to the graduation of the Big 3 (Stewie, Tuck & Mo) in 2016, all extraordinary players and leaders. The very next year, four players stepped up into leadership roles (Gabby, Kia, Lou & Pheesa) as UConn continued to make one FF after another.

The one proven leader on the current UConn team is on the bench sporting crutches. Evina is clearly trying to lead, but the challenge of leading this team while playing out of position at pg, may be more than she can handle. Caroline is stepping up as a “go to” player. But her quiet personality doesn’t appear particularly well suited for leadership, at least not yet.

I actually think the one player who has the intelligence, experience and talent to step into a leadership role is Dorka. While it can be hard for a transfer to assume a leadership role, someone has to do it. Until Paige returns, Dorka may be our best option.
You are listing great players that lead by example, but do not necessarily fill the type of leadership that has been missing.

Auriemma once told Bird that if anything went wrong on the court it was her fault. That is the type of leadership he wants most. Plenty of great players will fault themselves in a loss, but that is different than accepting someone else’s mistakes, or the mistakes of the team as a whole, as your own responsibility. The last player who I could be sure had that attitude was Montgomery. Stewart may have had that attitude, but most of the other players you mentioned did not.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Stewie was quiet, but she led with her actions. 99+% of the time. Not after the Stanford OT loss! :) Per Geno, he did not have to yell at the players; Stewie did it for him. But leadership is not yelling it is a combo play and knowing what to say, how to say it, and when to say it.

Michael Phelps was very quiet, but he was a magnificent relay swimmer, and everyone wanted to swim on the relays with him. Not leadership just the best.

Clearly ONO and CW are not leaders. Amen! Next year the underclassmen will deliver the needed leadership. Although they should usurp the leadership role since the upperclassmen are incapable of leading.

Maybe Caroline Ducharme, maybe Nika. Maybe Azzi from her actions, because she is very quiet. Let us hope so! Nika seems to have the moxie to grab the reins.

We shall see.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wish I could like this post more than once. That's always been the rap on us quiet people, that we can't lead because we don't run our mouths all the time. It was very frustrating during my playing days ( I played softball for years)

I think a quiet but strong example can speak louder than any words because anyone can talk the talk but walk the walk? Not so much.
Unfortunately, some players need that vocal leadership to play their best. I did not need it, but many others did.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I remember the UConn-Tennessee game in Hartford, the one where DIana made the 3/4 court shot, when it was nip and tuck all game. Tennessee had a slim lead with seconds left and the Huskies were gassed. Geno, in a rare mood, told his team he was proud of their effort but that if they lost, it was OK. He said Diana got in his face and said, “We are NOT going to lose” then she yelled at her teammates. Of course, she then went onto the court with a few seconds left and nailed a turnaround 3 from about 20’.

That’s leading vocally AND by example.

Reaction Score
Stewie was quiet, but she led with her actions. 99+% of the time. Not after the Stanford OT loss! :) Per Geno, he did not have to yell at the players; Stewie did it for him. But leadership is not yelling it is a combo play and knowing what to say, how to say it, and when to say it.

I did not know that. Does anyone know what Stewie said? Thank you for sharing.

Reaction Score
Leadership is the person at the end, down 1 or 2, who says I want the ball. I will make it. D. clearly. Maya, Stewie, many others. Much as I absolutely hated, Ogumbuwale or however you spell it, at least she had "it". Did she ever. Same with Diggins and those blasted Mabry sisters. This year we had Paige, hopefully we will get her back, but we need someone else. Maybe CD. But this year, shot clock at 3, they get the ball, who can I pass it to. But even for Paige, last year Geno had to tell her, "you get the ball, you are open, shoot it." Passing is great. Loved it a few years ago, one possession, 7 passes, ball never hit the floor once, but on the 7th pass the player was open, took the shot. Now when we pass it we don't seem to end up with a pass to someone who is open.

Reaction Score
First off, thanks for sharing this article with us. I miss the days of clicking a link and being able to read something for free. Much appreciated. Just my 2 cents on this whole leadership situation for someone to step up, as coach put it. We do have am on the court leader in Evina Westbrook. In terms of being that voice to calm folks down and being that balance out there.

Now for being that person to step up and put the team on their back to take over a game and be that "Dawg", we don't have that, yet. I am glad that C-Dub spoke up. I love her mindset and that she wants to be that person. That speaks volumes about her. She wants that role. But listening to the players, well Caroline and Evina's, pregame interviews, especially recently, it is going to be Leadership by Committe, whether Coach likes it or not.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"Caroline Ducharme was on Williams’ right, Aaliyah Edwards on her left. They carried much of the load Sunday. Ducharme, the freshman who has been the leading scorer since Bueckers went down, had 17 points, five rebounds, three blocks, two assists and two steals, a sturdy all-round performance that exhibited all the work she has put in to raise her game, especially on defense, to the major college level faster than anyone imagined."

I'm not so sure about that last statement....there were a lot of hints that she might have it.. It just got a bit lost in the Azzi excitement

Reaction Score
I would say this is pretty damning. :(
I agree. For the last couple seasons hasn't it been Auriemma himself along with other players extoling the virtues of Westbrook's leadership? I guess maybe he's moved on from that or did he temporarily forget about her? ;)

Reaction Score

OMG All due respect, and I do respect you, you're just "playing a bit off key" recently. Bigs are very rarely team leaders. Not in their DNA. Something about being kidded their whole lives until they find themselves star basketball players.
The answer to this is of course, EW and CW. If EW is not a point guard then how does the rest of her career chart out. A 2 that can't shoot. She needs to be a 1 and fast! If CW has proven one thing in her UConn career, its that when she is given added responsibility, she actually steps up, as in her defense the last year and a half.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I would say this is pretty damning. :(
nah, just more 'slow news day' nonsense.
the only thing that we are currently missing, is health.
if we get healthy, it's over.
i am constantly amazed here that some think some other teams are great, or potentially great. they're not. a sea of mediocrity at the 'top.'
we, on the udder hand, are great. when healthy. hey! have sum of youse figgered out yet that dorka is key, and that caroline is a bigtime playa?
i certainly recall what sum here said previously. kind of like this guy

what on earth is that toaster thing? and why, when he takes the hot slice out of that thing with one hand, does he then make the 'too hot to handle' move with both hands?
pay close attention, cuz when u do, it often ends up with attention paying you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OMG All due respect, and I do respect you, you're just "playing a bit off key" recently. Bigs are very rarely team leaders. Not in their DNA. Something about being kidded their whole lives until they find themselves star basketball players.
The answer to this is of course, EW and CW. If EW is not a point guard then how does the rest of her career chart out. A 2 that can't shoot. She needs to be a 1 and fast! If CW has proven one thing in her UConn career, its that when she is given added responsibility, she actually steps up, as in her defense the last year and a half.
You mean like Bill Russell?
Or Abdul Jabbar?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First an observation. You can't be a leader if your play is inconsistent and below what are reasonable expectations for a potential WNBA first round draftee, This seems to apply to both CW and Evina.

Now my Holiday Inn Express Psychological Analysis

I think prior to last year before Paige getting to Storrs, I think Evina and CW felt good about being the leaders of the team and probably being the best 2 players on the team. They saw Crystal and Megan leave to the WNBA and probably felt we should be able to match their level of play (or better) and solidly lead the team to at least a final 4 and then to the WNBA. They probably viewed Paige as a very talented player who will add alot to the team but not likely to take over the team as she transitions to the college game. Her passing will get them good open shots and their play will even be better.

So what happens? Paige shocks Storrs by showing that she is by far the best player in the first hour of practicce and she will be the main focus on and off the court. That turns them into complementary players and they fulfill that role with varying levels. Some good days, some less than good. Paige in the beginning is happy to keep feeding them and trying to stay in the background but the other players don't fill the vacumn. By the end of the first half of the 2nd game last year (SH), Geno has had enough of Paige dipping her toes into the game and pushes her to control everything, What doe Paige do? She completely dominates every aspect of the game including one of the most obscene full court drives to beat the clock before the end of the 3Q. Nothing else will ever be the same again. Paige is UConn and it is left for others to find a way to be productive which is as simple as making open shots but Evina / CW are just not consistent enough so Geno begins pushing Paige to shoot more. And in my opinion neither CW or Evina played up to their potential which might make them a solid WNBA 1st round pick

In the interim, Geno mentions how important it is for kids wanting to be WNBA players have to be consistent 3pt shooters and that CW and Evina perhaps does not meet that threshold? So I am guessing they worked hard in practice to improve and maybe they did improve incrementally.

So what comes into Storrs now? Azzi Fudd. Owner of the most perfect 3pt shot mechanics in the game and a new shock to the system. A summer program to observe and be envious of Azzi's 3pt form.

So what is my point? I think both are dealing with waves of doubt about how good they can actually be at the next level and it is adding to the pressure to be great players at the college level. Thinking they were definite WNBA level players, they are seeing what true elite players look like up close.

So now what happens? Paige and Azzi have injuries and they must be thinking this is their shot. So what happens? This almost after thought freshman (Caroline) with perhaps less athleticism than either who looked so out of sorts and was perhaps a cute "sneaky player " story in the blink of an eye steps over them in the pecking order in performance.

So my solution? I have none. :oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You’re just being a contrarian now. Bigs are rarely team leaders? Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Steph, Stewie all were leaders. Looking outside Storrs, CT we can come up with dozens: Fowles, Griffith, Jackson, Leslie, Parker, Wilson, Cox and Boston to name a few.

Reaction Score
First an observation. You can't be a leader if your play is inconsistent and below what are reasonable expectations for a potential WNBA first round draftee, This seems to apply to both CW and Evina.

I think prior to last year before Paige getting to Storrs, I think Evina and CW felt good about being the leaders of the team and probably being the best 2 players on the team. They saw Crystal and Megan leave to the WNBA and probably felt we should be able to match their level of play (or better) and solidly lead the team to at least a final 4 and then to the WNBA. They probably viewed Paige as a very talented player who will add alot to the team but not likely to take over the team as she transitions to the college game. Her passing will get them good open shots and their play will even be better.

So what happens? Paige shocks Storrs by showing that she is by far the best player in the first hour of practicce and she will be the main focus on and off the court. That turns them into complementary players and they fulfill that role with varying levels. Some good days, some less than good. Paige in the beginning is happy to keep feeding them and trying to stay in the background but the other players don't fill the vacumn. By the end of the first half of the 2nd game last year (SH), Geno has had enough of Paige dipping her toes into the game and pushes her to control everything, What doe Paige do? She completely dominates every aspect of the game including one of the most obscene full court drives to beat the clock before the end of the 3Q. Nothing else will ever be the same again. Paige is UConn and it is left for others to find a way to be productive which is as simple as making open shots but Evina / CW are just not consistent enough so Geno begins pushing Paige to shoot more. And in my opinion neither CW or Evina played up to their potential which might make them a solid WNBA 1st round pick

In the interim, Geno mentions how important it is for kids wanting to be WNBA players have to be consistent 3pt shooters and that CW and Evina perhaps does not meet that threshold? So I am guessing they worked hard in practice to improve and maybe they did improve incrementally.

So what comes into Storrs now? Azzi Fudd. Owner of the most perfect 3pt shot mechanics in the game and a new shock to the system. A summer program to observe and be envious of Azzi's 3pt form.

So what is my point? I think both are dealing with waves of doubt about how good they can actually be at the next level and it is adding to the pressure to be great players at the college level. Thinking they were definite WNBA level players, they are seeing what true elite players look like up close.

So now what happens? Paige and Azzi have injuries and they must be thinking this is their shot. So what happens? This almost after thought freshman with perhaps less athleticism than either who looked so out of sorts and was perhaps a cute "sneaky player " story in the blink of an eye steps over them in the pecking order in performance.

I like some of the dynamics you highlight.
I remember watching a presser last year that featured PB and CW together. I remember observing how awkward the body language was between the two and wondering how they got along. PB not only the better player but also more polished with the media. Maybe, in hindsight it would have been better in the long haul (PB gets hurt) for CW to have been more stingy in relinquishing her leadership role to the freshman. But she did and to her credit she adopted the necessary role last year of "defensive stopper". Maybe she can step up in the same way again, regarding leadership.
I'm not ready to proclaim CD the...... She's a scorer, a gamer, and a good all-around player. The players on the team already knew all that.

Reaction Score
You’re just being a contrarian now. Bigs are rarely team leaders? Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Steph, Stewie all were leaders. Looking outside Storrs, CT we can come up with dozens: Fowles, Griffith, Jackson, Leslie, Parker, Wilson, Cox and Boston to name a few.
Nice post! He's baaaaack!
To be a bit of a devil's advocate: leader doesn't mean best player. A post earlier mentioned Jabbar (Alcindor) as a rebuttal. He was a shy, introverted, English major (apologies to English majors). Doubt seriously if he was the leader of the Uclans. Maybe Mike Warren or Lucius Allen?

Reaction Score

So now what happens? Paige and Azzi have injuries and they must be thinking this is their shot. So what happens? This almost after thought freshman (Caroline) with perhaps less athleticism than either who looked so out of sorts and was perhaps a cute "sneaky player " story in the blink of an eye steps over them in the pecking order in performance.

This was probably a mistake if they did. They have trouble against good college players.

Reaction Score
Team leadership isn’t something a coach can tell a player he wants him/her to do. A player is either a leader or not a leader. Just like in business and many other aspects of life. It’s pretty clear that the seniors on this team cannot fill that role. Doesn’t make them any less of a player or a person. Just the way it is.

Maybe Caroline, if she continues to excel and gain confidence, will emerge as a leader.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom