UConn searching for leadership | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn searching for leadership

Reaction Score
Paige was never "anointed" or expected to be the leader of these teams. For UCONN WBB leadership is a responsibility assigned to the upperclassmen. The leadership responsibility was assigned to ONO, CW, & EW.
I put the word in quotations because she obviously assumes the role not that she was given the role.
Thanks for the article.
Interesting: back to the recruiting of #1 HS players-
Did our scouting of Paige in HS yield the feedback that it would be obvious that she would be the team leader as a freshman at the illustrious UConn WCBB program. I wonder what their expectations were.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I put the word in quotations because she obviously assumes the role not that she was given the role.
Thanks for the article.
Did our scouting of Paige in HS yield the feedback that it would be obvious that she would be the team leader as a freshman at the illustrious UConn WCBB program. I wonder what their expectations were.
I don't recall leadership ever being discussed or considered when Paige was being recruited. I honestly don't believe UCONN was thinking along the lines of Paige being the best player or default team leader. Geno explained it very clearly how this came about. Paraphrased; It was very obvious from the first few practices that Paige was on a different level and could do things that the other players simply could not.
BTW Geno said the same thing about Maya Moore.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't recall leadership ever being discussed or considered when Paige was being recruited. I honestly don't believe UCONN was thinking along the lines of Paige being the best player or default team leader. Geno explained it very clearly how this came about. Paraphrased; It was very obvious from the first few practices that Paige was on a different level and could do things that the other players simply could not.
BTW Geno said the same thing about Maya Moore.
Actually, I think Paige had said that when Geno visited her at Hopkins, he told her you need to prepare to be one of the leaders on the team, being more vocal etc.

I am sure I did not get the quote 100% but close enough. I think this was evidence enough that he thought she could be very special even as a freshman even before 1st practice.

On the other hand, he did say he was not sure how she would fit in as a freshman and he had to be flexible in seeing how well she integrated into the team and college. Was she a Maya from 1st second or did she need to be handled with more care and even perhaps not start.

Of course, one practice in, "never mind"

Reaction Score
While I agree with your statement, we are talking about leadership on the court (not about social issues) - correct?
I believe people follow leaders on the court or off. Obviously and unfortunately they may not always lead in the right direction. That's a whole other discussion but most people seem to recognize leaders and do follow them. If a coach determines that the leader has his/her team going in the right direction it makes their job a lot easier. JMO, but with the makeup of this UConn team as I see them, I think Auriemma may be looking for a 2022 version of Rizzotti or Elliott. Two would be even better. Not a rah-rah type to lead cheers and dance routines on Tik Tok, I think they need a leader with a real edge to them. And I don't think they have one right now.

Reaction Score
First an observation. You can't be a leader if your play is inconsistent and below what are reasonable expectations for a potential WNBA first round draftee, This seems to apply to both CW and Evina.

Now my Holiday Inn Express Psychological Analysis

I think prior to last year before Paige getting to Storrs, I think Evina and CW felt good about being the leaders of the team and probably being the best 2 players on the team. They saw Crystal and Megan leave to the WNBA and probably felt we should be able to match their level of play (or better) and solidly lead the team to at least a final 4 and then to the WNBA. They probably viewed Paige as a very talented player who will add alot to the team but not likely to take over the team as she transitions to the college game. Her passing will get them good open shots and their play will even be better.

So what happens? Paige shocks Storrs by showing that she is by far the best player in the first hour of practicce and she will be the main focus on and off the court. That turns them into complementary players and they fulfill that role with varying levels. Some good days, some less than good. Paige in the beginning is happy to keep feeding them and trying to stay in the background but the other players don't fill the vacumn. By the end of the first half of the 2nd game last year (SH), Geno has had enough of Paige dipping her toes into the game and pushes her to control everything, What doe Paige do? She completely dominates every aspect of the game including one of the most obscene full court drives to beat the clock before the end of the 3Q. Nothing else will ever be the same again. Paige is UConn and it is left for others to find a way to be productive which is as simple as making open shots but Evina / CW are just not consistent enough so Geno begins pushing Paige to shoot more. And in my opinion neither CW or Evina played up to their potential which might make them a solid WNBA 1st round pick

In the interim, Geno mentions how important it is for kids wanting to be WNBA players have to be consistent 3pt shooters and that CW and Evina perhaps does not meet that threshold? So I am guessing they worked hard in practice to improve and maybe they did improve incrementally.

So what comes into Storrs now? Azzi Fudd. Owner of the most perfect 3pt shot mechanics in the game and a new shock to the system. A summer program to observe and be envious of Azzi's 3pt form.

So what is my point? I think both are dealing with waves of doubt about how good they can actually be at the next level and it is adding to the pressure to be great players at the college level. Thinking they were definite WNBA level players, they are seeing what true elite players look like up close.

So now what happens? Paige and Azzi have injuries and they must be thinking this is their shot. So what happens? This almost after thought freshman (Caroline) with perhaps less athleticism than either who looked so out of sorts and was perhaps a cute "sneaky player " story in the blink of an eye steps over them in the pecking order in performance.

So my solution? I have none. :oops:
I really feel for Christyn! There’s no doubt in my mind she desperately wants to play well, she works hard, and that she really wants to lead this team! In spite of her obvious desire and hard work however, she has been unable to overcome her inconsistent play on the court. She seems like a really fine person and I would dearly love it if she can somehow find a way to step up and be the player she so clearly wants to be. Here’s wishing her all the best as she finishes out her senior year!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I really feel for Christyn! There’s no doubt in my mind she desperately wants to play well, she works hard, and that she really wants to lead this team! In spite of her obvious desire and hard work however, she has been unable to overcome her inconsistent play on the court. She seems like a really fine person and I would dearly love it if she can somehow find a way to step up and be the player she so clearly wants to be. Here’s wishing her all the best as she finishes out her senior year!
Every thing you say about CW applies equally to Evina and even more since she came back when she might have entered the WNBA. this year. And they both bleed UConn Blue so strongly,. I hope they can turn it around.

On the other hand, I see enough improvement in Liv's game with more versatility demonstrated from outside that she should stick at the next level and improve as needed. And I think Dorka will stay and show what she can be as the Primary Post on a full power UConn team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not everyone responds to the same things, which is why a good team has multiple leaders, that lead in different ways. I never was much for the loud, in-your-face brand of leadership. Some players need that. I responded to, and tried to emulate, quiet intensity, both in practice and during games, where a few well-chosen words were worth a 100 “win one for the Gipper” speeches.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the leadership of Kia, Gabby, Lou and Pheesa in 2016-17. They all lead by example. Kia and Lou were much more vocal. Pheesa demonstrated consistent quiet intensity. Gabby was somewhere in between. Together they took a team with limited size, experience and depth to within a basket of the national championship game.

Without Paige on the floor, this year’s team is searching for its identity. We all hope Paige is back for the stretch run. But between now and then I have to believe other players will step up and carry the burden of leadership until the cavalry arrives.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for the article.
The short answer is yes. Geno advised Paige of his expectations when she was still in HS.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
There are a lot of "big mouths" who don't lead.

Actions speak louder than words!

Reaction Score
I would agree this team is possibly overachieving but when we get PB, back it will no longer be this team.

Reaction Score
Injuries and transfers provided the opportunity Caroline needed. If everyone stayed healthy and played to their ability, she might have only gotten 10 minutes or so a game. If I recall, Geno loved Caroline Ducharme in the fall but also Caroliine got off to a rather shaky start.
If she got 10 minutes a game, it wouldn’t have been long before she would have demonstrated some of the same abilities she is showing now. Sure, it may have taken a few more games, but what we are seeing now was inevitable. She’s just too good!

Reaction Score
I don't see much emotion from this team (except for the fiery Nika), and they don't appear to be having much fun. I wonder if the seniors are just worn down, worn out, and discouraged.

They came to UConn to win titles. First 2 seasons don't work out. They had a real chance last year, but no dice. So, going into this season they have everyone back, plus some highly touted frosh. Whoa, what's not to be excited about. THEN it hits the fan: more of a covid mess; injuries to key players- season ending for the very important Aubrey, who knows what with Paige, and Nika and Azzi just can't get beyond nagging problems. I also think that having 2 players up and leave has some effect on everybody (coaches included), especially when they look over at the bench and all they see are players not dressed, and two 6'5" players who haven't instilled much confidence in the coaches yet.

For the sake of the three seniors, I hope things get better, that they will be encouraged to see players return, and they will get back to competing and enjoying the game. They are 3 really good players, and I expect that they are disappointed with themselves at the moment. I would hate to see them go out that way. Without Paige, not sure they can go all the way, but they certainly can make a run.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of "big mouths" who don't lead.

Actions speak louder than words!
I was going to post that leadership first must be earned. If it's not earned, forcing it just makes you a PITA. You kinda nailed it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This was not nonsense or based on a slow news day, nor was it about any other team besides UCONN. This was about UCONN and the HoF coach (who is not exactly lacking for news coverage) had this to say:

“We’re searching for who is going to be that individual on the court that’s going to bring some sort of sense of order to what we’re doing, to finish out late-game situations, to play through adversity,”

Geno is not one to mince word and this is one of the most damming quotes I can ever remember him making about a team or a player since this quote about Charde Huston;

"Why would you give the keys to the Ferrari to the guy who can't see and can't drive and is hung over?"
sorry friend, but any analysis for a squad where half the team, including the best player in the land, is currently lying around in sick bay, and wearing their jammies while watching netflix, is preposterous.
any way u slice it, azzi yelling at the chair blocking her view of the wastecan, as she tosses crumpled up balls of paper from her essay effort, is neither indicative of her leadership nor her shooting skills.

i hear that paige has learned to boss all the ingredients in making a mean chili. leadership! a freakin patton if u ask me, cuz u have to own the peppers and tell them where to get in, and get out, to make a winning dish. lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
sorry friend, but any analysis for a squad where half the team, including the best player in the land, is currently lying around in sick bay, and wearing their jammies while watching netflix, is preposterous.
any way u slice it, azzi yelling at the chair blocking her view of the wastecan, as she tosses crumpled up balls of paper from her essay effort, is neither indicative of her leadership nor her shooting skills.

i hear that paige has learned to boss all the ingredients in making a mean chili. leadership! a freakin patton if u ask me, cuz u have to own the peppers and tell them where to get in, and get out, to make a winning dish. lol.
:eek:If you or I was doing the analysis I would agree with you, but we are not. This analysis ( quote) was not you or me it was Geno. Are you saying Geno does know his team?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
:eek:If you or I was doing the analysis I would agree with you, but we are not. This analysis ( quote) was not you or me it was Geno. Are you saying Geno does know his team?
geno knows his teams better than anyone. his resume sez so.
geno also sez stuff that sometimes is calculated for effect, and other times not calculated for anything. free range geno.
all told, it makes him who he is. simply, the best.
any analysis for a squad where half the team ain't playing is preposterous, and smacks highly of a trivial pursuit, cuz the squad today is exactly the squad we'll have when the crocusses (crocki?) uncroke. or not.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
I don't see much emotion from this team (except for the fiery Nika), and they don't appear to be having much fun. I wonder if the seniors are just worn down, worn out, and discouraged.
I like to see the positive reactions from Paige and Nika after a good play.
But there's sports psychologists who are trained to help players not display their emotions so that they can concentrate on playing better.
For some, emotions are a waste of energy and a distraction, especially negative emotions like complaining to the refs after a foul is called.

For example, there's football players who like to demonstrate after scoring a touchdown, and then there's the players who simply hand the ball to the ref. in a display of professionalism.
Players in various sports have injured themselves by simply jumping up & down in celebration.
Others pile on top of other players to celebrate which is also risky behavior.

I wouldn't read too much into a player's choice whether to display their emotions or not.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I like to see the positive reactions from Paige and Nika after a good play.
But there's sports psychologists who are trained to help players not display their emotions so that they can concentrate on playing better.
For some, emotions are a waste of energy and a distraction, especially negative emotions like complaining to the refs after a foul is called.

For example, there's football players who like to demonstrate after scoring a touchdown, and then there's the players who simply hand the ball to the ref. in a display of professionalism.
Players in various sports have injured themselves by simply jumping up & down in celebration.
Others pile on top of other players to celebrate which is also risky behavior.

I wouldn't read too much into a player's choice whether to display their emotions or not.
'Players in various sports have injured themselves by simply jumping up & down in celebration.'
in a tight league game, back in college days, i get a perfect pass for a layup with around 10 or so left in the game. i blow it, and fumble the ball. now, with emotions already at max in the building, i continue on under the hoop, and kick the wooden baseboard of the stands. bad move, like, now my pal is driving me to the emergency bad. broken foot, no hoops for a month or more. i never let that happen again. lesson learned, albeit painful. lol. life is a learning curve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom