UConn searching for leadership | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn searching for leadership

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
nah, just more 'slow news day' nonsense.
This was not nonsense or based on a slow news day, nor was it about any other team besides UCONN. This was about UCONN and the HoF coach (who is not exactly lacking for news coverage) had this to say:

“We’re searching for who is going to be that individual on the court that’s going to bring some sort of sense of order to what we’re doing, to finish out late-game situations, to play through adversity,”

Geno is not one to mince word and this is one of the most damming quotes I can ever remember him making about a team or a player since this quote about Charde Huston;

"Why would you give the keys to the Ferrari to the guy who can't see and can't drive and is hung over?"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice post! He's baaaaack!
To be a bit of a devil's advocate: leader doesn't mean best player. A post earlier mentioned Jabbar (Alcindor) as a rebuttal. He was a shy, introverted, English major (apologies to English majors). Doubt seriously if he was the leader of the Uclans. Maybe Mike Warren or Lucius Allen?
If you want to discuss a BIG MBB player who was a great leader, you need look no further than Bill Russell. He lead in every way conceivable: psychological, intellectual, emotional and physical. He lead his respective teams to 2 NCAA, 1 Olympic & 11 NBA championships. Russell also became a national leader for social justice in the US, starting in his playing days and continuing to this very day. He is in the professional HOF twice, as a player & coach.

Reaction Score
Nice post! He's baaaaack!
To be a bit of a devil's advocate: leader doesn't mean best player. A post earlier mentioned Jabbar (Alcindor) as a rebuttal. He was a shy, introverted, English major (apologies to English majors). Doubt seriously if he was the leader of the Uclans. Maybe Mike Warren or Lucius Allen?
Did you actually read the articles? Alcindor and Russell were the epitomes of a leader on and off the court. Warren and Allen acknowledged Alcindor's leadership by following him to boycott the Olympic trials in 1968 while at UCLA. He was the outspoken team leader on racial equality at the time.

Reaction Score
If you want to discuss a BIG MBB player who was a great leader, you need look no further than Bill Russell. He lead in every way conceivable: psychological, intellectual, emotional and physical. He lead his respective teams to 2 NCAA, 1 Olympic & 11 NBA championships. Russell also became a national leader for social justice in the US, starting in his playing days and continuing to this very day. He is in the professional HOF twice, as a player & coach.
Absolutely!
Fine book I read about the Celtics and in particular the complicated relationship between Russell and Cousy, called The Last Pass.
I wonder what he was like at USF and when he first arrived in Boston. His physical gifts were other-worldly but I wonder if he was a leader from the get-go or if he developed into a leader. In the book, his skills from day 1 fit perfectly with Red's fast break philosophy and with Cousy as the star and point guard. They won the title his rookie year. He was an Olympian the summer of his rookie year and the there was a bit of a delay in him reporting to the Celtics. He was also a track athlete at USF, I believe, quarter-miler and long jumper maybe, which speaks to his incredible ability to move and get out on the break.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are listing great players that lead by example, but do not necessarily fill the type of leadership that has been missing.

Auriemma once told Bird that if anything went wrong on the court it was her fault. That is the type of leadership he wants most. Plenty of great players will fault themselves in a loss, but that is different than accepting someone else’s mistakes, or the mistakes of the team as a whole, as your own responsibility. The last player who I could be sure had that attitude was Montgomery. Stewart may have had that attitude, but most of the other players you mentioned did not.
Kara Woters tells a story of Jen Rizzotti grabbing a handful of her jersey to yell at her during a time out. I don’t think that is the only way to lead, volume and physicality, but it often breaks through the clutter in the moment.

Reaction Score
Did you actually read the articles? Alcindor and Russell were the epitomes of a leader on and off the court. Warren and Allen acknowledged Alcindor's leadership by following him to boycott the Olympic trials in 1968 while at UCLA. He was the outspoken team leader on racial equality at the time.
Good call, BobbyJ. Kareem has been a leader throughout his career, very much so during that amazing run by the Lakers.

Mike Warren and Lucius Allen formed what might have been one of the best college backcourts ever, but it was Lew/Kareem who was the team leader (nurtured and encouraged every step of the way by Wooden, of course, just as he did a few years later with Bill Walton).

Reaction Score
Kara Woters tells a story of Jen Rizzotti grabbing a handful of her jersey to yell at her during a time out. I don’t think that is the only way to lead, volume and physicality, but it often breaks through the clutter in the moment.
I'm not surprised at that one, CL82. I got to see Jen play a lot of high school basketball and volleyball and she was very much the on-court player/coach for both programs, both in word and by example. Her teams won back-to-back state titles in basketball and were back-to-back state runnersup in volleyball with her at times dragging her team along with her, like it or not.

Jen seemed to always be able to 'break through the clutter,' both at New Fairfield and at UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nah. You can be a leader without being the person who wants to take the last shot. Jamelle most certainly was a leader to give an example.
Yeah, but her intensity level as a player was off the charts. Which, by the way, cracks me up because in person she’s probably one of the most low-key, kind and least intimidating people you’ll ever meet.

CL82

Reaction Score
“I need to be that player for my teammates every day in practice,” Williams said, “be consistent with it, carry it over in the games. As an upper classman, I feel it’s my duty.”

It’s this sense of obligation and living up to expectation that I think has been the biggest impediment for Christyn this year. She needs to be true to herself and let the game come to her. When she does that, she is a phenomenal player.

JMO

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Absolutely!
Fine book I read about the Celtics and in particular the complicated relationship between Russell and Cousy, called The Last Pass.
I wonder what he was like at USF and when he first arrived in Boston. His physical gifts were other-worldly but I wonder if he was a leader from the get-go or if he developed into a leader. In the book, his skills from day 1 fit perfectly with Red's fast break philosophy and with Cousy as the star and point guard. They won the title his rookie year. He was an Olympian the summer of his rookie year and the there was a bit of a delay in him reporting to the Celtics. He was also a track athlete at USF, I believe, quarter-miler and long jumper maybe, which speaks to his incredible ability to move and get out on the break.
Russell had a reputation as a difficult player to coach when he arrived in Boston, likely resulting from the fact that he was an intelligent black man who was not afraid to speak his mind. During his rookie year a Boston beat writer asked Red Auerbach, “Is the new guy tough to handle?” Auerbach responded, “You handle mule teams. Bill Russell is a man. You treat men with respect.” That quote made the Boston papers. From that point on, Russell and Auerbach enjoyed a lifetime friendship and respect, with Russell quickly eclipsing Cousy as the team’s best player and leader.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Russell had a reputation as a difficult player to coach when he arrived in Boston, likely resulting from the fact that he was an intelligent black man who was not afraid to speak his mind. During his rookie year a Boston beat writer asked Red Auerbach, “Is the new guy tough to handle?” Auerbach responded, “You handle mule teams. Russell is a man. You treat men with respect.” That quote made the Boston papers. From that point on, Russell and Auerbach enjoyed a lifetime friendship and respect, with Russell quickly eclipsing Cousy as the team’s best player and leader.
You might like the book. Cousy's best friend and long time friend was Tommy Heinsohn. If I remember right, Russell never really felt that Cousy did enough for him regarding the racial aspects of Russell's life in Boston and in the early NBA days.
You might be slighting Cousy a tad. Remember he was an "innovator" as well. He revolutionized the point guard position, he was a scorer with an array of shots, and he was a master orchestrator of Red's fast break. He was in the last half or twilight of his career when Russell arrived. Cousy helped Boston become a consistent winner and contender but never champion until Russell arrived. Russell was certainly the glue and the missing ingredient. Keep in mind, Red never had a true center until Russell. I believe his center was the lanky Ed Macauley. I think he was traded to St. Louis along with the Ice Capades by Boston for the rights to draft Russell. No ifs, ands, or buts, Cousy was an all-time great NBA player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
“I need to be that player for my teammates every day in practice,” Williams said, “be consistent with it, carry it over in the games. As an upper classman, I feel it’s my duty.”

It’s this sense of obligation and living up to expectation that I think has been the biggest impediment for Christyn this year. She needs to be true to herself and let the game come to her. And when she does that she is a phenomenal player.

JMO
Wether you call it an "obligation" as you have or a "duty" as CW has, leadership is a necessary ingredient of team success especially in times of adversity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
bulb-light-bulb.gif

Uhm.. Leadership is a talent!

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised at that one, CL82. I got to see Jen play a lot of high school basketball and volleyball and she was very much the on-court player/coach for both programs, both in word and by example. Her teams won back-to-back state titles in basketball and were back-to-back state runnersup in volleyball with her at times dragging her team along with her, like it or not.

Jen seemed to always be able to 'break through the clutter,' both at New Fairfield and at UConn.
Leadership is so tricky. Like it's chemical or organic.
I think about the old TV show "Combat". I think of the floor leader/general as Sgt Saunders and the coach as like Lieutenant Hanley.
I remember in college the captain/leader admonishing me as much or more than the coach doing so.
Leadership is such a combination of factors. I think it's fascinating. One of the main reasons I watch so much sports is to see the dynamics between players. Great story last night with the walk-on QB leading GA to the title. You could see the love and respect all his teammates had for him.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like some of the dynamics you highlight.
I remember watching a presser last year that featured PB and CW together. I remember observing how awkward the body language was between the two and wondering how they got along. PB not only the better player but also more polished with the media. Maybe, in hindsight it would have been better in the long haul (PB gets hurt) for CW to have been more stingy in relinquishing her leadership role to the freshman. But she did and to her credit she adopted the necessary role last year of "defensive stopper". Maybe she can step up in the same way again, regarding leadership.
I'm not ready to proclaim CD the...... She's a scorer, a gamer, and a good all-around player. The players on the team already knew all that.
I generally disagree.

I remember several joint pressers and I think their chemistry looked good and honest. For example, in one case, they were asked to act out their favorite Geno mannerisms. To your point, Paige takes over and tells CW to do some of them which she does. CW is a good kid and she certainly understands that Paige is the better player and deserves the accolades etc. My point is that even though she understands the correctness of being a complementary player, she could have been much better and more consistent in that role and even if the spotlight was off, she would not be penalized in the WNBA draft. Eg. Morgan Tuck. Ditto for Evina.

I do not understand the part where you are saying she should have been more Stingy relinquishing the role. The coach basically said if you dont shoot everytime you are open to Paige , I will yank you (empty threat of course but an eyeopener to the team I am sure). In the end, No choices. Best player ultimately dominates, others have to figure out how to fit in. And to her credit, Paige continues to push back on Geno trying to keep everyone as involved as possible.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
"Caroline Ducharme was on Williams’ right, Aaliyah Edwards on her left. They carried much of the load Sunday. Ducharme, the freshman who has been the leading scorer since Bueckers went down, had 17 points, five rebounds, three blocks, two assists and two steals, a sturdy all-round performance that exhibited all the work she has put in to raise her game, especially on defense, to the major college level faster than anyone imagined."

I'm not so sure about that last statement....there were a lot of hints that she might have it.. It just got a bit lost in the Azzi excitement
Injuries and transfers provided the opportunity Caroline needed. If everyone stayed healthy and played to their ability, she might have only gotten 10 minutes or so a game. If I recall, Geno loved Caroline Ducharme in the fall but also Caroliine got off to a rather shaky start.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wether you call it an "obligation" as you have or a "duty" as CW has, leadership is a necessary ingredient of team success especially in times of adversity.
No doubt, I suppose that the burden of being a “leader” may be a distraction to her. My sense is that she has a quiet personality such that she would struggle with a Diana Taurasi or Jen Rizzotti type of leadership. Likewise, I sometimes feel like she has a split second of “analysis paralysis“ when she’s playing. It’s almost as if she’s thinking what should I do here rather than just reading and reacting. I may be projecting that entirely, though.

My heart goes out to her because I think she wants to be everything that she feels Geno wants her to be in terms of senior leadership. But stylistically some of what she’s shooting for doesn’t come naturally to her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Injuries and transfers provided the opportunity Caroline needed. If everyone stayed healthy and played to their ability, she might have only gotten 10 minutes or so a game. If I recall, Geno loved Caroline Ducharme in the fall but also Caroliine got off to a rather shaky start.
She already made her mark in the ND game before Nika and Paige injuries and was a Geno favorite from practices. That 4rh Q performance insured she would be a major rotation player although certainly more gradual. And what transfer affected her minutes? Mir, Saylor? Aubrey may have cut some minutes and Azzi a little as well but not that much.

Reaction Score
I remember the UConn-Tennessee game in Hartford, the one where DIana made the 3/4 court shot, when it was nip and tuck all game. Tennessee had a slim lead with seconds left and the Huskies were gassed. Geno, in a rare mood, told his team he was proud of their effort but that if they lost, it was OK. He said Diana got in his face and said, “We are NOT going to lose” then she yelled at her teammates. Of course, she then went onto the court with a few seconds left and nailed a turnaround 3 from about 20’.

That’s leading vocally AND by example.

Exactly, the best do both. The issue is that quiet individuals must be exceptional performers, hard workers, responsible players to even have a chance at being viewed as leaders. Human nature suggests that certain people need the verbal aspect (along with the other factors) to perceive someone as a leader. I simply don't know how I could have been a team leader if I was quiet all the time.

Reaction Score
While I agree with your statement, we are talking about leadership on the court (not about social issues) - correct?

Reaction Score
I generally disagree.

I remember several joint pressers and I think their chemistry looked good and honest. For example, in one case, they were asked to act out their favorite Geno mannerisms. To your point, Paige takes over and tells CW to do some of them which she does. CW is a good kid and she certainly understands that Paige is the better player and deserves the accolades etc. My point is that even though she understands the correctness of being a complementary player, she could have been much better and more consistent in that role and even if the spotlight was off, she would not be penalized in the WNBA draft. Eg. Morgan Tuck. Ditto for Evina.

I do not understand the part where you are saying she should have been more Stingy relinquishing the role. The coach basically said if you dont shoot everytime you are open to Paige , I will yank you (empty threat of course but an eyeopener to the team I am sure). In the end, No choices. Best player ultimately dominates, others have to figure out how to fit in. And to her credit, Paige continues to push back on Geno trying to keep everyone as involved as possible.
I definitely appreciate all of your "disagreements". You made good points for sure. Remember and this is a fact: perception is 20/20. Go to the subway stop and witness an event and you'll get 20 accounts of what happened.
That's what I saw.
Also, I think we can agree for the most part, that the best player isn't necessarily the best candidate for team leader. We saw that a lot with E last year. I hold to the idea that CW with GA's help could have done more to assert her leadership.
Another idea not mentioned is how difficult it would be on a freshman to be "anointed" team leader. It's a tricky spot, even with Paige's sophistication. Add to that, that the freshman leader is also your go-to scorer. So you have to lead your team into battle and you also have to make all the big plays. It's a lot. Damn she's good! Maybe I projected it onto the scene, but I felt some natural tension between them in that presser. I would also be willing to bet it's still there between them to some degree.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a UConn player more of an enigma than CW ? It's always the same old talking points about needing to be better... yada yada yada. She's shown flashes in the past, but has not been able to sustain a high level of play for an extended period of time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I definitely appreciate all of your "disagreements". You made good points for sure. Remember and this is a fact: perception is 20/20. Go to the subway stop and witness an event and you'll get 20 accounts of what happened.
That's what I saw.
Also, I think we can agree for the most part, that the best player isn't necessarily the best candidate for team leader. We saw that a lot with E last year. I hold to the idea that CW with GA's help could have done more to assert her leadership.
Another idea not mentioned is how difficult it would be on a freshman to be "anointed" team leader. It's a tricky spot, even with Paige's sophistication. Add to that, that the freshman leader is also your go-to scorer. So you have to lead your team into battle and you also have to make all the big plays. It's a lot. Damn she's good! Maybe I projected it onto the scene, but I felt some natural tension between them in that presser. I would also be willing to bet it's still there between them to some degree.
Paige was never "anointed" or expected to be the leader of these teams. For UCONN WBB leadership is a responsibility assigned to the upperclassmen. The leadership responsibility was assigned to ONO, CW, & EW.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom