UConn - Robert Morris Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn - Robert Morris Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
looking at the performance of players other than the big three, I would say Katie Lou, Kia and Collier had a great game. Did anyone notice how listless Gabby was today...only 1 shot taken, two points on foul shots, 5 rebounds and one steal. She did not have the usual energy we have come to expect from her.

HGN

Reaction Score
When you never lose the question is how does someone beat you, not how do you win.
I just get the feeling she , as well as a lot of others , would just love for anyone to beat the Huskies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I just get the feeling she , as well as a lot of others , would just love for anyone to beat the Huskies.

I think she'd like more competitiveness, for sure, but I also think she respects UConn's effort and execution.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou now has 71 treys and is shooting .394 from the arc. That other kid from Mater Dei--what's her name, the one with 3 initials--had 93 on .384 shooting. Lou probably will not match Kaleena's 93 threes, but I hope she can get 20 over 5 more games.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

You know she's a huge fan of the program, dontcha?

On the flip side, for the growth of women's basketball it would be lovely if someone could/would. Remember all the attention Louisville got? Double that.... not hoping it will happen, but totally recognize the wish.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't know how to get a breakdown by half but there weren't many in the first half. I think the starters defended them very well. The bench not so much. I can live with that. I have a feeling when it counts we will defend them very well. Not too ominous really.
The box score breaks it down for you.

Half of RMU's second half shots were threes and some were shot from WAY downtown. Good for those kids sticking the shots but several of them were very low percentage.

upload_2016-3-19_15-27-1.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Doris is a friend of Geno's and of the program. Heck, she got a championship ring one year - 2011?

Reaction Score
Where do people come up with this balderdash?

Broadcasters want competitive games! Nothing more.

Reaction Score

Well yeah.....that's one of the things that is so impressive about UConn. I remember Jay Bilas made the point that UConn usually is getting the other team's best each game and to add to that many want to see them lose. The team feeds off that. As fans we should embrace it. Would much rather be a fan of a team in UConn's position.

Reaction Score
Here is what Megan Smith, one of RMU's starters said after the game. I imagine this is exactly what it would be like if any of us were on the floor playing against our beloved team as well. :( :mad: :eek:

"Obviously we scouted them but you really don't know what a 6-5 girl is like until you're up against her," Smith said. "The tempo was really fast. Their strength -- all of their players were just so strong. It felt like I was battling a post even though they were a guard. Defensively they're all up in your shorts and they never take a possession off. They're always in the passing lanes. They're on point, every time."

High praise, I'd say.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I cannot believe that the NCAA requires the coaches and players to attend the pre and post game press conferences and then DOES NOT RECORD AND POST THE THINGS!!!!! This just makes me so mad. Regular season annoys me enough but post season - come on.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Great Video of the RM Coach's last presser. Touching. No doubt he's developed some wonderful young women. Wouldn't be surprised if Geno sends him a bottle of wine.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Over her first 11 games KLS was 12-47 (25%) from three.

Since then she is 59-133, or 44.4%.

Reaction Score
You know, I was not happy with the fourth quarter by the reserves when I was at the game. But after watching that presser, I am glad that he and his players found something positive to go out on.

Reaction Score
One ominous point is that RM made 9 3-pointers, and shot 45% from 3. That has been the team's major Achilles heel this year. We had tightened it up, but today...

Not to worry, FF. Robert Morris was not effective from distance against the starters. RM only made 4 3-pointers in the first 30 minutes.
Against our bench it was quite another story, as RM made 5 3-pointers in the 4th quarter alone (with no starters on the floor.), many of them on wide-open looks. Geno was not happy.

[It must also be noted that RM had their starters in for all but the last few minutes of the game.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw something in the 1st half that I have not seen this year. Stewie stole the ball near half court, took a dribble or two with no Robert Morris kids in sight, and even though Moriah was 20 feet ahead of her waiting under the basket, Stewie didn't make the pass. She took the layup herself. I think even Moriah was surprised, as she made a gesture toward Stewie anticipating the pass which never came. I was 'shocked,' because it was so uncharacteristic of UConn play.
I think Stewie made the correct play. She had a clear path to the basket. That made the "extra pass" unnecessary and even detrimental to the successful completion of the play.

Reaction Score
I think Stewie made the correct play. She had a clear path to the basket. That made the "extra pass" unnecessary and even detrimental to the successful completion of the play.

I thought so too. I didn't think it was twenty feet, I thought it was a much shorter distance in which the pass wasn't needed to be made. I remember this play and instantly throw "don't pass it. You're on the move and could throw it away." A pass from a big like Stewie on the move has a small risk of being a turnover. On the other hand if she just kept dribbling it was an automatic two.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.

You can't blame Doris for those types of comments. I know that it's hard to remember sometimes, but UConn fans aren't the only ones watching a UConn game (thankfully!). And her job is to try to keep the telecast entertaining to the non-UConn fan for the entire time as well. I think that Doris, for the most part, does a nice and impartial job. She knew as well as we did that the game was over after the first 2 minutes.

I'm glad that the ladies looked very crisp from the opening tip-off. Let's hope they keep that momentum rolling! :cool:

What if you don't agree with many of her opinions and you think she is more in tune with the NBA than wcbb? I'm not saying her comment about her formula to beat UCONN during this particular game was wrong -- I didn't even hear it.

What if you think the few times she criticizes UCONN (it's okay to do so)/ or the player's -- that she is wrong with that particular criticism? What happens if you disagree with the majority of her criticisms of either player's or UCONN's style? Not even a criticism but for example - how she would like to see the team or player - "slow own" etc? Do you think after a while if someone were to think many of her criticisms (though few in number) are wrong, that it would it be okay to express that she doesn't know what she is talking about IF THERE WERE MANY on average that one felt were wrong?

I watch the NBA and she is fine there. She no longer says for example form years ago; "You can tell Kobe Bryant is great player just by the look in his eyes." No more of that. And that's great! She's fine in NBA. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom