UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . . | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kemba bar none. I live in Brooklyn and knew about him following NYC hoops. He committed to Uconn then a week later I was assigned to shoot him for a magazine. His first shoot for anything. I layed out what it was like paying for Calhoun. He was pumped and told me what his goals were for his Uconn career.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough I was pretty excited to see Antric Klaiber play. Not sure why. I think I was 19 and did not know much about anything. I read about Antric the year before in the courant. For whatever reason the story resonated with me and I thought he would be good.

The only other thing I remember about Antric is JC pulling him in his senior year. Antric came in to spell someone else for a few minutes. About a minute later JC was giving Antric the hook while yelling, "I can't play you!" JC seemed both mad and sympathetic.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough I was pretty excited to see Antric Klaiber play. Not sure why. I think I was 19 and did not know much about anything. I read about Antric the year before in the courant. For whatever reason the story resonated with me and I thought he would be good.

The only other thing I remember about Antric is JC pulling him in his senior year. Antric came in to spell someone else for a few minutes. About a minute later JC was giving Antric the hook while yelling, "I can't play you!" JC seemed both mad and sympathetic.
And then JC gave him that cameo in the championship game as if to say, "Sorry you endured all that but here's some payback."

Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin is up there...that team was ready to make a deep NCAA run with Rip Hamilton, Freemen, Moore, Voshkul all coming up together from the previous year and then the rumors began that this new pg out of Minnesota was not only going to contribute but START and RUN THE SHIP right away. And then he totally lived up to it.

And then Drummond. Just the highest ranked recruit we've ever had and coming off a title team.

Reaction Score
Kemba bar none. I live in Brooklyn and knew about him following NYC hoops. He committed to Uconn then a week later I was assigned to shoot him for a magazine. His first shoot for anything. I layed out what it was like playing for Calhoun. He was pumped and told me what his goals were for his Uconn career.

Ha!

Reaction Score
I was following Caron's recruiting big time. His story was amazing and I like ferocious players. He did not disappoint.

Also Drummond, home state kid, super hyped.

Reaction Score
Ater Majok.

He changed the meaning of the term "can't miss" for me. I'll admit I drank the Kool-Aid while waiting in the ticket line. Sadly, the ride was over before it started.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KEA for me. He was a Top 10 guy. I heard the reports of him running the pick-up games during his OV. I was hoping he would be the difference maker he became.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
KEA for me. He was a Top 10 guy. I heard the reports of him running the pick-up games during his OV. I was hoping he would be the difference maker he became.

It seems that Khalid's legacy has lost a little of it's shine over the years, but he was the perfect piece to complete that team. He brought such confidence and seemed to stay positive no matter what. He seemed to kind of neutralize the pressure, allowing the other guys to play so much more relaxed. I would say that Kemba would join Khalid as the two best natural leaders on Calhoun-era teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems that Khalid's legacy has lost a little of it's shine over the years, but he was the perfect piece to complete that team.

I agree and it's not right. He got UConn over the hump. Before him, UConn held the dubious record for most NCAA appearances without making the Final Four (now held by BYU).

Reaction Score
It seems that Khalid's legacy has lost a little of it's shine over the years, but he was the perfect piece to complete that team. He brought such confidence and seemed to stay positive no matter what. He seemed to kind of neutralize the pressure, allowing the other guys to play so much more relaxed. I would say that Kemba would join Khalid as the two best natural leaders on Calhoun-era teams.
Because of no NBA career? IMO he's one of our best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom