UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnWitt

Because Fartman69 was taken.
Reaction Score
Charlie Alexander Villanueva. Never forget those ugly sweaters he wore while on the bench sitting out his first few games. Lol
Completely agree! Watching him sit out those first 10 games (approximation) was torture. Rudy Gay and Drummond are tied for second, IMHO.

Reaction Score
We've had some good great ones. Who is the one recruit that you anxiously awaited to see lace up? Doesn't have to be 4 or 5 star, just a player you read/heard about that was going to make our team better for sure. Even if that player disappointed/underachieved or didn't deliver as expected.

Mine was Rip. I was playing golf and another golfer simply said to me "you guys got a good one" from Philly area. He was a basketball guru, so it was a credible prediction. This was before mixtapes, social media and other internet sources. I couldn't wait for the season to begin. His freshman year I saw what the guy meant, and he went on to be an AA with a Ring.

Caron Butler

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Ray. He was considered so smooth in South Carolina and I read an article or two saying he was a true superstar and under appreciated nationally. The first time I saw him shoot a basketball in warmups I knew he was for real. It took watching him all of one minute to know he was the most talented kid on the court.

Yes, I had the same feeling. When Ray was a freshman, he came into games and seemed to go into slow-motion or something when he would go up for a jumpshot and hung in the air longer than he should have and with this perfect looking jumpshot. He had "it" from the start!

Reaction Score
Corny Thompson because until that time UCONN hadn't gotten that a high of a recruit. I think he got offer from Dean Smith but chose The Yankee Conference.

Donyell Marshall - the 1st all-american Calhoun got. We beat out Syracuse among others. We rarely won the a/a recruiting battles before.

Ray Allen - I had read he was an up-and-coming recruit and one summer tournament before coming he broke or tied Shaq's record for points scored. With him coming and the team we already had with Donyell. Wow- the talent - considering we were a doormat and/or disappointing team in Big East for a while before that. I couldn't wait.

Khalid El-Amin. He was amongst the best in the nation as a recruit. I think he was top 5. Donyell was 9. Hamilton about 9. When we got him and we already had Hamilton, Big Jake, Freeman and Ricky - I couldn't wait. Thought he was a perfect fit and what we needed from all I had read about him. I never expected title --- 77-74-- but knew he was real good!!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
D Ham, AD, Caron, Chris Smith and the entire freshmen class of 1991

oh, and Corny Thompson too

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Reading Reed, Donyell Marshall.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Drummond coming in to try and defend the title, along with Lamb and co.

What a let-down that season turned out to be.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, I had the same feeling. When Ray was a freshman, he came into games and seemed to go into slow-motion or something when he would go up for a jumpshot and hung in the air longer than he should have and with this perfect looking jumpshot. He had "it" from the start!
Yes! And I remember his first few games in the NCAA tourney throwing down these bombs from downtown; my son and I just looked at each other and were awestruck. Thanks Ray!

Reaction Score
Denham Brown. When I heard the guy scored over 100 points in a HS game, I truly thought he was the next UConn superstar. Didn't quite get there but definitely did not disappoint.

Reaction Score
We've had some good great ones. Who is the one recruit that you anxiously awaited to see lace up? Doesn't have to be 4 or 5 star, just a player you read/heard about that was going to make our team better for sure. Even if that player disappointed/underachieved or didn't deliver as expected.

Mine was Rip. I was playing golf and another golfer simply said to me "you guys got a good one" from Philly area. He was a basketball guru, so it was a credible prediction. This was before mixtapes, social media and other internet sources. I couldn't wait for the season to begin. His freshman year I saw what the guy meant, and he went on to be an AA with a Ring.
Richie Ashmeade. Was a great NYC high school player, who was good enough that when Kenny Anderson was rehabing, he played against Ashmeade. Also, Earl Kelley. Great CT player who Syracuse was desperate for.

Reaction Score
As far as hype, it has to be Corny and Drummond. However...
In the day, donors were invited to a pre-season team practice/scrimmage. Sitting on the bleachers in the Field House, we watched with mouths agape at the most talented player to ever lace 'em up at UConn. Ray Allen.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin. One of the first recruitments I actually followed, and he turned out to be even better than advertised.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Past - Chris Smith Present - Jalen Adams
Wish I never did - Deng

Reaction Score
Not going to lie i bought into the Ater Majok hype and was highly disappointed when he turned out to suck. Drummond was def number 1 though. Majok sadly was probably number 2.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I wasn't quite old enough to appreciate it but the answer has to be Deng for most older than me.

I'd go with Drummond. Can't miss NBA big man coming in is just so rare. Plus UConn fans had been following him since what? 8th grade? He committed so late it created an immediate feeling that maybe we could repeat. I was moving in for my senior year when my phone started blowing up and everyone that was moving in was talking about it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We have nobody else to thank but Kris Dunn for staying in New London so we could have Andre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom