UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruit that you couldn't wait to see play. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Donyell. Back when there was a Big East magazine dedicated to BB recruiting that came out n Sep't/Oct there was a lot of press re: him. An McD AA with great skills and size who was very highly recruited. Big East called him a can't miss type of player and a real coupe for JC. Add Yell to a class that already had Donny, Fair, KO and Rudy and that gave us our most highly rated class at the time. Couldn't to see him play and he more than lived up

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Drummond, for sure. We were coming off of a national championship and the rest of the roster was loaded.

Reaction Score
Donyell and KEA in the past, JA and Miller right now.

Reaction Score
Gilead Katz, after the success of Nadav I was hoping the pipeline was full of studs!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I was quite young when the Ater Majok hype train came a-rolling into town. Little Stairmaster was convinced that he would be our next great NBA-caliber big.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
We've had some good great ones. Who is the one recruit that you anxiously awaited to see lace up? Doesn't have to be 4 or 5 star, just a player you read/heard about that was going to make our team better for sure. Even if that player disappointed/underachieved or didn't deliver as expected.

Mine was Rip. I was playing golf and another golfer simply said to me "you guys got a good one" from Philly area. He was a basketball guru, so it was a credible prediction. This was before mixtapes, social media and other internet sources. I couldn't wait for the season to begin. His freshman year I saw what the guy meant, and he went on to be an AA with a Ring.
Ajou Deng

Reaction Score
another one for the older gang was Terry Coffey. Big numbers in HS and we finally plucked an all state kid from the DC area.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Donyell, Ray, put me in the group that followed recruiting with KEA, Andre, Jalen. But I'm really excited by Alterique right now.

Reaction Score
Donyell. Back when there was a Big East magazine dedicated to BB recruiting that came out n Sep't/Oct there was a lot of press re: him. An McD AA with great skills and size who was very highly recruited. Big East called him a can't miss type of player and a real coupe for JC. Add Yell to a class that already had Donny, Fair, KO and Rudy and that gave us our most highly rated class at the time. Couldn't to see him play and he more than lived up

I used to subscribe to that too if we're talking the same thing.

Big East Briefs.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ken Whitney, Mr. Maine Basketball and Sandy Fishman, fulfilled his all-pine predictions.

But for real, Corny Thompson. the one guy who made a big mistake coming to UConn during that era. For the guys who fret about elites maybe not progressing as expected, Corny, while always very good, was top notch off the bat and didn't add that much to his game. Hands down the best outlet passing big man we ever had who had all the other tools. When he came in, he and Mark Aguirre of DePaul were considered probably the two best forwards in their class. It wound up not being that close, and certainly not in the pros. Corny was much more oven ready coming in than Drummond, who was both fun and painful to watch at the same time.

Reaction Score
Ken Whitney, Mr. Maine Basketball and Sandy Fishman, fulfilled his all-pine predictions.

But for real, Corny Thompson. the one guy who made a big mistake coming to UConn during that era. For the guys who fret about elites maybe not progressing as expected, Corny, while always very good, was top notch off the bat and didn't add that much to his game. Hands down the best outlet passing big man we ever had who had all the other tools. When he came in, he and Mark Aguirre of DePaul were considered probably the two best forwards in their class. It wound up not being that close, and certainly not in the pros. Corny was much more oven ready coming in than Drummond, who was both fun and painful to watch at the same time.

Wished JC had his time with Corny and McKay. They both would've left much better players under the right coach. Corny had it all minus the elite athleticism - shoot it, rebound in traffic, intelligence, as you said outlet passing. There was more there - a little better diet, weights etc etc - he would've stayed int he league a long time I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom