UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I replied to all his tired points.

There is a thing called 'experience'. Where those that have actually done things can provide insight to people in college.

I know it upsets you that others have actual experience that colors their thoughts and instead don't just post every dumb thought that goes through their head.

Have you ever posted a single interesting thing? I mean seriously ever?

Thank you for continuing. It's fascinating. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thank you for continuing. It's fascinating. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm hoping that soon you'll provide insight on a topic. Really any topic. Do you design emojis?

Are you an international best seller of books about being a passive aggressive b**ch?

Do you curl up at night and cry thinking about the sadz from the internet because someone started a new thread?

I'm open to any subject you can lend insight to - please let us know.

Reaction Score
Do any of the people bashing Whaler actually believe we are in at this point? Stair master, Art, Pudge, Excalibur??

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually I'm the one who is playing along with this line of thought.

Has anyone ever said that you communicate with the fanbase the same way as the university presidents? No? Good so you can save that same condesending tone that our illustrious bloggers use when talking down to us lowly message board types.
Whaler, it appears that the core of where you and I differ is in the belief of what our support of the program and school has earned us. The way I see it, the few thousand dollars a year I spend on tickets to football and basketball games and the similar amount that I donate to the school does not buy me regular updates on the schools approach to impressing the leadership of the B-12. There is one thing you need to realize, this is discretionary spending and if you believe you are not getting in return what you think you deserve the solution is easy, don't spend your hard earned dollars on the product. If you want to go to football games without feeling you are being overcharged I will be happy to provide a ticket or two for every home game. I've given away plenty of tickets for years, this way you won't need to think Susan isn't responding sufficiently to what your cost is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do any of the people bashing Whaler actually believe we are in at this point? Stair master, Art, Pudge, Excalibur??

I don't know whether or not we're in, but I don't trust him to know any more than I trust myself.

Reaction Score
I don't know whether or not we're in, but I don't trust him to know any more than I trust myself.

Don't you think he might have a point about the statement made by Herbst? She is obviously downplaying our ability to get in. And there is a reason for that. So whether you have faith in her or not it looks to me like we failed again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, it appears that the core of where you and I differ is in the belief of what our support of the program and school has earned us. The way I see it, the few thousand dollars a year I spend on tickets to football and basketball games and the similar amount that I donate to the school does not buy me regular updates on the schools approach to impressing the leadership of the B-12. There is one thing you need to realize, this is discretionary spending and if you believe you are not getting in return what you think you deserve the solution is easy, don't spend your hard earned dollars on the product. If you want to go to football games without feeling you are being overcharged I will be happy to provide a ticket or two for every home game. I've given away plenty of tickets for years, this way you won't need to think Susan isn't responding sufficiently to what your cost is.

Please you know I don't give a crap about the cost of my tickets. I will be there if we end up in CUSA. I'll sit through the entire AAC tournament again this year.

I have not said they owe me or anyone else updates. I have clearly said if they want to hide from the FOIA and not try to sell the school publically they are going to be open to criticism if things go sideways - and I believe they will deserve it based on the approach they have taken.

I fully accept that the possibility exists that they have done an amazing job behind the scenes. I hope that UConn gets in. I'll eat every pidgey y'all can dig up (pokemon reference for the kids).

That doesn't mean I'm going to accept excellence behind the scenes as reality with no evidence.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well I haven't commented on UConn being in or out in any of these threads. It's actually many others saying she is setting our expectations that we are out.

Reaction Score
Well I haven't commented on UConn being in or out in any of these threads. It's actually many others saying she is setting our expectations that we are out.

Agreed. Regardless of whether we're in or not the comments made in the paper were tone deaf to say the least. I think it's her biggest issue. She doesn't seem to have the wrong sentiments, but she doesn't convey her message well, never has. I don't know how many emails I got from her when I was a student that everyone just rolled their eyes at. Or the comments she made during the Gloria Allred suit. Her sentiments and intentions are fine, and often make sense, but she doesn't craft her statements well at all. The whole University seems to have issues with this to be honest. I received a personal email from Michael Kirk (Chief of Staff) once as a response to an email to the presidents office and he sounded like a raging d***

Reaction Score
Yes, and Herbst has made statements at alumni functions and similar things in the past where she makes it abundantly clear that supporting athletics and big time sports is a priority, but hey let's all just pretend she didn't say those things too.

She has told me these things personally at alumni events. I will continue to believe.

Reaction Score
You know why it might be a good idea to keep things from being under FOIA? Your pitch leaks out and you misspell research while touting your research...

Joey Knight‏@TBTimes_Bulls
BREAKING: #USF has prepared promotional material, including case statement (here's 1st page) and video to Big 12.
04.jpg
Greg Auman Verified account‏@gregauman 4 hours ago
Not done yet: "Excellence in Academics" page in 2016 USF football media guide touts team's "academic succes."
04.jpg

Dan Wolken@DanWolken 2 hours ago
Making fun of USF is the easy play here. But the larger point is Big 12 making schools grovel publicly. Shameful.

Even by Big 12 standards this has been poorly handled and undignified.

Reaction Score
Greg Auman Verified account‏@gregauman
Not done yet: "Excellence in Academics" page in 2016 USF football media guide touts team's "academic succes."
View attachment 15000

Making fun of USF is the easy play here. But the larger point is Big 12 making schools grovel publicly. Shameful.

Even by Big 12 standards this has been poorly handled and undignified.

Not everyone is groveling. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Don't you think he might have a point about the statement made by Herbst? She is obviously downplaying our ability to get in. And there is a reason for that. So whether you have faith in her or not it looks to me like we failed again.
Reading tea leafs is hazardous for all. Either Herbst is going to be a hero or zero. There will be no in between.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yes, and Herbst has made statements at alumni functions and similar things in the past where she makes it abundantly clear that supporting athletics and big time sports is a priority, but hey let's all just pretend she didn't say those things too.
Yea she can absolutely say that and truly mean it but as it stands UConn currently has the most subsidized athletic program in the country. That's dollars being taken out of every students tuition to make up for the corresponding lack of conference TV dollars that usually fund these things for high level programs. We can sustain this for a few years sure but how long?

UConn currently has one of the highest in-state tuitions in the nation too, and students have been vocal about the constant tuition hikes. I don't think it'll be an easy sell long term, which is why getting into a P5 is so crucial but this has all obviously been covered ad nauseum here.

Reaction Score
W_T_F is Dan Wolken talking about? Putting a media guide out is "groveling"?

How many schools in FBS DON'T put out a media guide?

Reaction Score
Reading tea leafs is hazardous for all. Either Herbst is going to be a hero or zero. There will be no in between.

Could be. I hope we're in. If Herbst blows this it will cost much more than just our Athletics.

Reaction Score
He has been a patient very long time fan. This is it. Two strikes, dont want to hear Herbst going up to the plate sounding like a Doris Day song. If we dont get in, I want to know about the effort because there will no event at the Rent worth watching to many of Husky Nation and that includes the students living a half hour away.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He has been a patient very long time fan. This is it. Two strikes, dont want to hear Herbst going up to the plate sounding like a Doris Day song.
The next time I speak with SH I will point out the error and ask her to run all decisions by the fan base.

Reaction Score
You mean this?

Actually, that song is probably the most truthful thing posted to date on CR and UConn. UConn has no control over what the B12 decides to do. We can jump up and down all we want, but in the end the B12 will do what it wants to do. Nothing UConn says or does will change that fact!!!

Reaction Score

I never indicated that, but I also never thought we were in, particularly in a 2-team expansion. But I'm not bashing Whaler, I'm bashing the enormous logical leap that he's making regarding Herbst's statements. While I've been very critical of her message to the fans, I think she is correct about the futility of public lobbying. Whaler doesn't. That explains the difference of opinion.

Reaction Score
And for those of you saying that "public lobbying" is working for others (i.e. Housto
The reason I don't buy the "if they take us they take us" line is because it's not like lobbying for a spot and not doing so have the same chances for success.

This isn't a game of pick up basketball where captains are picking teams. This is a business decision first and foremost. Like any business proposition there is always room for selling your assets and strengths to win that contract. The candidate who sits back and doesn't make much noise may come off as mature and collected, if you believe that BS pseudo-psychology somehow makes us more attractive, but it is just as likely that we seem disinterested or even worse, our strengths and candidacy get lost in the commotion of the competition trying to sell itself. One thing I've noticed since the beginning of this expansion process is that the vocal members have received the most subsequent discussion and have found themselves as "assumed" favorites by many pundits and the public as a result. Public lobbying went as far as creating political buzz for Houston, which seems to have made them a lock to many.

Houston wasn't public lobbying, it was a power play using someone with leverage in the process.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And for those of you saying that "public lobbying" is working for others (i.e. Housto

Houston wasn't public lobbying, it was a power play using someone with leverage in the process.

UH has most assuredly been out in front of this entire process. They've been actively lobbying the B12 for years. President Khator is a very sharp, savvy woman. Under her leadership they elevated to Tier 1 status specifically to make the school more attractive to the B12. She has managed to get them a seat at B12 meetings and her donors and fanbase are well aware of what she's been doing to curry favor with B12 presidents. They also got President Gee of WVU, who chairs the expansion commitee, to visit their campus.

Recently they've benefited from the move UT is trying to make into Houston, which is why the politicians got involved because they owe Tillman Fertitta for his major campaign contributions, but Houston has been visibly working to get into the B12 for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom