UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You and Waylon should hit kareoke and sing do you want to build a strawman.

Okay, it's one thing when you're being a clever troll, but the same Waylon/strawman joke twice in one afternoon?

Herbst really has done a number on your faculties.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There often comes a time when you just turn mean.

Guess I disagree it seems like a nice way to say you completely misrepresented what I said... unless it's a comment on Waylon.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The reason I don't buy the "if they take us they take us" line is because it's not like lobbying for a spot and not doing so have the same chances for success.

This isn't a game of pick up basketball where captains are picking teams. This is a business decision first and foremost. Like any business proposition there is always room for selling your assets and strengths to win that contract. The candidate who sits back and doesn't make much noise may come off as mature and collected, if you believe that BS pseudo-psychology somehow makes us more attractive, but it is just as likely that we seem disinterested or even worse, our strengths and candidacy get lost in the commotion of the competition trying to sell itself. One thing I've noticed since the beginning of this expansion process is that the vocal members have received the most subsequent discussion and have found themselves as "assumed" favorites by many pundits and the public as a result. Public lobbying went as far as creating political buzz for Houston, which seems to have made them a lock to many.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Okay, it's one thing when you're being a clever troll, but the same Waylon/strawman joke twice in one afternoon?

Herbst really has done a number on your faculties.

Yeah now I'm a troll. I apologize for not having blind faith.

I'd love to know why you do.

Reaction Score
The reason I don't buy the "if they take us they take us" line is because it's not like lobbying for a spot and not doing so have the same chances for success.

This isn't a game of pick up basketball where captains are picking teams. This is a business decision first and foremost. Like any business proposition there is always room for selling your assets and strengths to win that contract. The candidate who sits back and doesn't make much noise may come off as mature and collected, if you believe that BS pseudo-psychology somehow makes us more attractive, but it is just as likely that we seem disinterested or even worse, our strengths and candidacy get lost in the commotion of the competition trying to sell itself. One thing I've noticed since the beginning of this expansion process is that the vocal members have received the most subsequent discussion and have found themselves as "assumed" favorites by many pundits and the public as a result. Public lobbying went as far as creating political buzz for Houston, which seems to have made them a lock to many.

How would you know? The presumption is that the public pronouncements have any effect. Louisville WON a spot & it should seem self-evident that they had a solid AD, a damn good FB program & the criteria did not care too much about market or academics. Even with President Boren laying out 5 variables, I still know only one thing: None of the 17/18 are home runs for them. Given who we are & who is leading this presentation (including Tranghese) - and I don't think a FOIL adds much to our marketability (*just lets out some of our sales material) - I am resigned to the process.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Guess I disagree it seems like a nice way to say you completely misrepresented what I said... unless it's a comment on Waylon.
It sounds like all you are saying is 'blah blah, nothing is being done, I will hold my breath until my face turns blue, blah blah, no tweets saying how good the ice cream is at the dairy bar, blauds knocked us, it hurts, blah blah, Waylon, straw man, I buy tickets so Susan should tell me everything....'

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yeah now I'm a troll. I apologize for not having blind faith.

I'd love to know why you do.

Aside from the OP in the elevator speech thread, I observe little to no content present in any of your posts. All I see is one really angry dude throwing a temper tantrum, having his little juvenile hissy fits with Sportsart as if it makes him hot crap. I mean seriously, one lousy Courant article made you rant and rave this much? Get a goshdarn grip, man.

Maybe I'll take blind faith over blind rage - I may be just as irrational as you are, but I'm not as reckless.

Also -- just because you're Whaler doesn't make you right about any of this, no matter how much you think it does.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It sounds like all you are saying is 'blah blah, nothing is being done, I will hold my breath until my face turns blue, blah blah, no tweets saying how good the ice cream is at the dairy bar, blauds knocked us, it hurts, blah blah, Waylon, straw man, I buy tickets so Susan should tell me everything....'

Thumbs up on that - you really hit the essence of what I've posted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also -- just because you're Whaler doesn't make you right about any of this, no matter how much you think it does.

I like ya pencilneck, but this is where you are wrong. Clearly what I have pointed out about her comments have hit a nerve with many big UConn supporters.

I'm open to whatever the true believers have for evidence but you'll need to do better than they say they are doing all the right things. When they are this tone deaf to baffoons like me - how do they possibly resonate with anyone in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Sportsart as if it makes him hot crap.

Did you just call me......? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4317247-9800660081-dog%252.png

Reaction Score
I find it hard to get on board with the idea that Uconn is being super stealth and strategic. Isn't this the same administration that approved billboards in Texas shortly after it was revealed that Cincy was being super aggressive? And, Ollie felt compelled to apologize shortly thereafter. It seemed incredibly reactionary and short sighted at the time....not the work of a super thought out plan to woo the Big 12 Despite having incredible success, strong metrics, and the most powerful sports media company located in our state, Uconn has somehow been left out in the cold. And, I am supposed to believe that the people in charge know what they are doing?

As frustrating as the Louisville decision was, Pitt might be more painful. They can't even penetrate the Pittsburgh market, yet ESPN gave them the pass. And CT gave gave ESPN tax credits. As a season ticket holder before Uconn ever won an NIT championship, I remember well when Calhoun began to get it rolling. Our season tickets kept getting farther and father away from the court. I don't think anyone will have that problem when So Miss and MTSU come to town.

Reaction Score
I don't think either mentality makes perfect sense. Just because they've been pretty much silent doesn't mean they haven't done enough politicking, but I think a lot of people have a little too much confidence that we're "doing everything possible" to try to get ourselves a spot. How do you know that? Just because they're in charge and this is important?

For me because their actions have shown they know what they need to do to raise our profile and give us the best chance at a p5. They've shown a commitment to football with their hires, first by firing PP midseason, then making what looks like a great hire, and was definitely the right kind of hire in Diaco. Benedict was definitely the type of hire that shows a commitment to football. We've alligned ourselves with NYC as much as possible. We did the marketing campaign in Houston. Benedict took the recent steps to try and grow the football fanbase. He's also been out there publicly stating we deserve to be in a p5, we want to be in the Big 12, and he's been selling us. So when I see us doing the type of things clearly trying to make us more attractive for a p5, for me, its safe to assume that we're doing what we need to do privately, and that we are selling what we have to offer.

Reaction Score
The only reason I am holding onto the last shred of hope is the fact that we've been hiring a bunch of people in the athletic department. I find it hard to believe these people didn't ask about our standing with the P5 conferences before they took the job. I also don't see how we will pay these people without an invite.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that these comments were tone deaf and I've said as much. That also doesn't make her completely stupid with regards to Athletics and what it means to success at UConn and raising the funds necessary to meet those goals. You and Chief seem to think she's too dumb to realize that. Fine.
Yes, and Herbst has made statements at alumni functions and similar things in the past where she makes it abundantly clear that supporting athletics and big time sports is a priority, but hey let's all just pretend she didn't say those things too.

Reaction Score
That may very well be true, and I think it is. The problem is we took the exact same low profile, low key approach that time as we have this time. It didn't work then, and maybe more proactive lobbying wouldn't have made any difference, but indicating that you're passively "monitoring" the situation doesn't inspire confidence. For one thing, it makes it look publicly like you don't really care one way or the other what they decide to do regarding us. Maybe it's just a mechanism to attempt to deflect any blame, sort of anticipatory damage control. The message is sure starting to sound eerily similar. Let's not let anybody think this is all that important to us so when we don't get it we can regroup and maybe make it the next time an opportunity presents itself. The problem is how many next times will there be, if any?

The real question is how many times are you going to employ what appears to outsiders as essentially the same approach, expecting a different result? There has been so much disinformation floating around about UCONN that goes unanswered or unexplained, at least publicly. It shouldn't be up to pundits and folks like Dooley to put our best foot forward on various media platforms. At some point, the administration needs to be heard from. Just about everybody else's has been.

You are either being quietly confident because you know something nobody else does, or you're preparing your entire fanbase for another kick to the groin. I hate to say it, but this statement sounds an awful lot like the latter. Again, I hope I am wrong.
...look its the strategy of the "Prevent Defense" in football. SO unless the point separation is so great that you are assured the victory, the strategy does not work! Is our fan-base so assured that this is a lock for us?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yes, and Herbst has made statements at alumni functions and similar things in the past where she makes it abundantly clear that supporting athletics and big time sports is a priority, but hey let's all just pretend she didn't say those things too.
Exactly. Freescooter has his beliefs and anything that doesn't confirm them is dismissed.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I like ya pencilneck, but this is where you are wrong. Clearly what I have pointed out about her comments have hit a nerve with many big UConn supporters.

I'm open to whatever the true believers have for evidence but you'll need to do better than they say they are doing all the right things. When they are this tone deaf to baffoons like me - how do they possibly resonate with anyone in the Big 12.

I'll play along.

First of all, there's a difference between "hitting a nerve" and being accurate. Of course you've stirred up a lot of anger. Does it make your suspicions correct or their anger rational? Maybe, but not inherently.

In my mind, what it boils down to is something that some people do not recognize: communication among presidents occurs on a completely different plane than communication between presidents and the media, the fanbase, and the general public. Herbst's gaffe may have motivated a good number of y'all to gather torches and pitchforks, but reading articles about poorly-worded speeches in the Hartford Courant is not how any of the presidents of Big 12 member schools are gathering their information. I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable poster here on CR, but I'd assume that presentations and negotiations occur on a one-to-one basis between current member presidents and candidate presents (or back channels, i.e. Tranghese). So, I think the one thing we can both agree on is that nobody here knows what's going on when UConn is engaged in that mode of communication. However, I don't find it prudent to use this article to extrapolate to the kind of communication that actually determines whether or not UConn gets the invite, private communication with B12 university reps. To surmise that Herbst and company are taking the same approach that was taken in that interview when they're meeting under-the-radar with B12 presidents and conference officials is wishful thinking, taken and ran with by a fan base that is justifiably antsy about the whole process and generally pissed that nothing good has happened yet. The AD knows that where the university really needs to shine is in these meetings, even though some posters will moan and complain about how Houston and Memphis getting good word out in the media means the B12 presidents are going to choose them.

Lastly, it's pretty apparent that she's not going to address Whaler the fan/donor in the same way that she's going to address Greg Fenves or David Boren. That's not meant as a slight towards you, but how many votes do you have when they're all sitting down at the table? I'll admit freely that this delivery was not a smart move on her part in regards to motivating the fan base (That's really the purpose of these pieces - rallying the troops and imploring them to buy tickets/donate. Does anyone honestly think that when Jeff Jacobs emerges from his cave every few months, he's addressing his columns to the powers that be?) It was a failure at communicating effectively with the fanbase, and if people who donate more money than I do feel upset about it, then they can go ahead. But do I think that this incident can be used as evidence that the administration screws up similarly when they're negotiating behind closed doors? No, I don't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll play along.

First of all, there's a difference between "hitting a nerve" and being accurate. Of course you've stirred up a lot of anger. Does it make your suspicions correct or their anger rational? Maybe, but not inherently.

In my mind, what it boils down to is something that some people do not recognize: communication among presidents occurs on a completely different plane than communication between presidents and the media, the fanbase, and the general public. Herbst's gaffe may have motivated a good number of y'all to gather torches and pitchforks, but reading articles about poorly-worded speeches in the Hartford Courant is not how any of the presidents of Big 12 member schools are gathering their information. I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable poster here on CR, but I'd assume that presentations and negotiations occur on a one-to-one basis between current member presidents and candidate presents (or back channels, i.e. Tranghese). So, I think the one thing we can both agree on is that nobody here knows what's going on when UConn is engaged in that mode of communication. However, I don't find it prudent to use this article to extrapolate to the kind of communication that actually determines whether or not UConn gets the invite, private communication with B12 university reps. To surmise that Herbst and company are taking the same approach that was taken in that interview when they're meeting under-the-radar with B12 presidents and conference officials is wishful thinking, taken and ran with by a fan base that is justifiably antsy about the whole process and generally pissed that nothing good has happened yet. The AD knows that where the university really needs to shine is in these meetings, even though some posters will moan and complain about how Houston and Memphis getting good word out in the media means the B12 presidents are going to choose them.

Lastly, it's pretty apparent that she's not going to address Whaler the fan/donor in the same way that she's going to address Greg Fenves or David Boren. That's not meant as a slight towards you, but how many votes do you have when they're all sitting down at the table? I'll admit freely that this delivery was not a smart move on her part in regards to motivating the fan base (That's really the purpose of these pieces - rallying the troops and imploring them to buy tickets/donate. Does anyone honestly think that when Jeff Jacobs emerges from his cave every few months, he's addressing his columns to the powers that be?) It was a failure at communicating effectively with the fanbase, and if people who donate more money than I do feel upset about it, then they can go ahead. But do I think that this incident can be used as evidence that the administration screws up similarly when they're negotiating behind closed doors? No, I don't.

Actually I'm the one who is playing along with this line of thought.

Has anyone ever said that you communicate with the fanbase the same way as the university presidents? No? Good so you can save that same condesending tone that our illustrious bloggers use when talking down to us lowly message board types.

When you are being interviewed by the HARTFORD Courant - who is going to receive that message? Would that be UConn Nation or the Big 12 Presidents?

So you admit she can't communicate with us effectively - but you are sure she can communicate effectively with them? If you want to take that on blind faith that is your decision but why would you expect anyone else to make that leap?

I'll make this as clear as possible because many struggle with reading around here: They may be doing a great job selling the University behind the scenes. However, there is zero evidence of this - and the fact they hide from the FOIA means I (and others) do not have to give them the benefit of the doubt unless they deliver results.

I know my business acumen has been challenged by some posters recently but I've been in negotiations with hundreds of people who are savvier then your average university president. I find it baffling that I'm supposed to assume someone can sell UConn to the Big 12 but can't come up talking points for the frigging Hartford Courant. The latter is so much easier than the prior - but I guess that's trolling.

Reaction Score
We need to improve our football team. Once we do that we will be an attractive candidate in conference realignment. UConn needs to stay focused. Continue to improve football, improve academics and improve our brand. Good things will happen. It might not be tomorrow, or next week, or next year, but eventually we will get the call up.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm the one who is playing along with this line of thought.

Has anyone ever said that you communicate with the fanbase the same way as the university presidents? No? Good so you can save that same condesending tone that our illustrious bloggers use when talking down to us lowly message board types.

When you are being interviewed by the HARTFORD Courant - who is going to receive that message? Would that be UConn Nation or the Big 12 Presidents?

So you admit she can't communicate with us effectively - but you are sure she can communicate effectively with them? If you want to take that on blind faith that is your decision but why would you expect anyone else to make that leap?

I'll make this as clear as possible because many struggle with reading around here: They may be doing a great job selling the University behind the scenes. However, there is zero evidence of this - and the fact they hide from the FOIA means I (and others) do not have to give them the benefit of the doubt unless they deliver results.

I know my business acumen has been challenged by some posters recently but I've been in negotiations with hundreds of people who are savvier then your average university president. I find it baffling that I'm supposed to assume someone can sell UConn to the Big 12 but can't come up talking points for the frigging Hartford Courant. The latter is so much easier than the prior - but I guess that's trolling.

He posted a well thought out comment and all you could talk about is how smart you are and what you've done. Please continue on. You have far surpassed self centered and omnipotence. You couldn't find one single thing to meet him half way on. Just wow...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He posted a well thought out comment and all you could talk about is how smart you are and what you've done. Please continue on. You have far surpassed self centered and omnipotence. You couldn't find one single thing to meet him half way on. Just wow...

I replied to all his tired points.

There is a thing called 'experience'. Where those that have actually done things can provide insight to people in college.

I know it upsets you that others have actual experience that colors their thoughts and instead don't just post every dumb thought that goes through their head.

Have you ever posted a single interesting thing? I mean seriously ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom