UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston does nothing for the Big 12. Their market is redundant and while they may poach a few more prospects (that's a positive?) Greg Ward will never take a snap in the Big 12. Shades of UCF when he leaves. Consideration is purely geographic, political and based on a special player leading a temporary resurgence.
UH is like Cincinnati. They have had a good run hiring top notch coaches. Herman, Sumlin, Briles. The one dud was Tony Levine and they fired him despite back to back winning seasons. Doing so may have turned out to be winning move for them in every way possible. Im always shocked more schools dont follow that example.

Reaction Score
So, SH gets into conference realignment discussion with the Courant Education reporter and then DB gets into conference realignment discussion w/ a drive time sports radio duo -- Different messages for different audiences or realigning the post Courant article narrative ?

Thanks to @UConn07 for the synopsis here.

>>On Big 12 expansion, Benedict answered a few questions, including the first that asked, 'so when are you going to the Big 12?'

"I really can't tell you anything more than what is already out there," he responded. "Everyone is slicing and dicing this thing every which way possible and there is a lot of speculation and opinions. I really don't have an opinion on it right now. As I've said many times when I've been asked this question, I feel very good and very confident about UConn and how we've approached this. I remain confident and I remain consistent with those statements and at this point in time I really don't think there is any change."

"Let's make it about UConn," he said. "We need to continue doing the things that have made us a successful program in the past. We've got to retain and hire great coaches, which we have a fabulous group of leaders in those positions at UConn. We need to continue winning at the highest level, which we expect to do. We have programs that on an annual basis can compete for conference championships and national championships. We have to continue to invest in facilities, which we are in the process of hopefully completing the fundraising for softball, baseball and soccer and hopefully in the next several months we will be able to announce some additional support and new gifts for those projects because that has to be a priority and those programs deserve to have great facilities just like football and basketball have right now. The university continues to build from already a great foundation. We have a great academic profile, the numbers of applications continue to go up, it just is a great university, a great experience. I've been meeting with all the head coaches here individually and there are certain business things that we have to talk about and we also just talk about things and actually one of the coaches this morning said once we get a kid on campus, it's over because this is such a great university. The university facilities are beautiful and President Herbst has done a wonderful job over the last five years, the new Storrs Center. We have great opportunity to continue to build off of a great foundation, I think we are going to be extremely successful and as I mentioned at my press conference, we have to dominate whatever conference that we are in, we need to be prepared to do that and that's what we are going to do."

When asked if he or any UConn personnel have made their presentation to the Big 12, he said the following.

"I wouldn't be at liberty to talk about it."

When asked for the reasoning on why the Huskies administration has not been as public as other schools in pursuit of the Big 12.

"The best way for me to respond to that would be that we have some very bright, intelligent people and I believe and am very confident that UConn is doing everything that we possibly can," he said. "Everyone is going to have an opinion, certainly no one has a crystal ball at this point in time, everything is speculation and opinion and based on whatever they decide to do, there will be opinions and you can't change that, but I feel really good about how we are approaching things and that's all that matters to me. As I said at the early stages of the conversation today, we have a game in two weeks that is pretty important, but this [conference realignment] is certainly important enough to us that we are going to give this the necessary attention that it needs and deserves. I don't necessarily have to tell anyone that is listening how important conference realignment is to individual schools and their members. I'm sure it is weighing on a lot of people's minds and there are a lot of people providing a lot of time and energy dedicated to whatever they may be responsible for as it relates to that subject, but it is important. The fact that there is so much speculation, so much media talking about it and writing about it, it would lead you to believe that there is a lot of people that are paying attention."<<

Reaction Score
You argue like your avatar. Disregard facts and knowledge for some random narrative you've set in your own head. You've been proven wrong with just about every post you've written in the last 24 hours, time to throw in the towel.

Meanwhile,....as you digress and jab about politics....Hillary is a criminal that got away with a crime that I know if others committed would be in jail right now. ...and yes keep this in mind, the name of the stadium is a defense contractor where the majority of the employees work with government secrets. Now, do you think if any of them did what Hillary did that they wouldn't go to jail? And her way of arguing is,and I am paraphrasing "look this is old news, I made a mistake". Hmmm, I'd love to see one of those employees use that defense and see what happens and then on top of that, these emails where Hillary said there was no secrets in her emails, turned out be a complete lie, so much so that if you want to see the latest interview, you need clearance! So, please, do not bring politics into this. As to your point about him not being able to argue...I do agree with you just not with the metaphor you chose to use.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile,....as you digress and jab about politics....Hillary is a criminal that got away with a crime that I know if others committed would be in jail right now. ...and yes keep this in mind, the name of the stadium is a defense contractor where the majority of the employees work with government secrets. Now, do you think if any of them did what Hillary did that they wouldn't go to jail? And her way of arguing is,and I am paraphrasing "look this is old news, I made a mistake". Hmmm, I'd love to see one of those employees use that defense and see what happens and then on top of that, these emails where Hillary said there was no secrets in her emails, turned out be a complete lie, so much so that if you want to see the latest interview, you need clearance! So, please, do not bring politics into this. As to your point about him not being able to argue...I do agree with you just not with the metaphor you chose to use.
what are you even on about, man.

Reaction Score
What crime are you talking about? Your reply should start with U.S.C. and I'm not talking about Trojans.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Put your Conspiracy Kitty caps on:

A thought occurred to me when reading the whole part of UConn --> Big East --> FOX. FOX just bid aggressively on 1/2 B1G content. Would UConn's move to B1G East basketball help our ultimate forever quest of getting into the B1G?? Eh? Meh?

Disclaimer: I have not read any of this thread for the last several pages so I apologize if this thought has already been raised and beaten down as ultimate nonsense already.

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: I have not read any of this thread for the last several pages so I apologize if this thought has already been raised and beaten down as ultimate nonsense already.

you haven't missed much. it's just me arguing with trump avatar guy and then someone getting mad at me for mentioning he has a trump avatar

Reaction Score
Put your Conspiracy Kitty caps on:

A thought occurred to me when reading the whole part of UConn --> Big East --> FOX. FOX just bid aggressively on 1/2 B1G content. Would UConn's move to B1G East basketball help our ultimate forever quest of getting into the B1G?? Eh? Meh?

I believe UConn has to get away from ESPN first before they will value us properly. Right now ESPN got us dirt cheap under the AAC contract.

UConn has to get with FOX asap if we are not in the b12 soon. If it means we go back to the Big East again, so be it. All I know is we need to get away from ESPN soon.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that the University feels that they have a very little shot of making it into the Big12, so why upset the other conference members (who are not groveling at the feet of the Big12) and AAC officials? I also think the University is hedging their bets that the ACC or BigTen will expand again and they are next in line.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that the University feels that they have a very little shot of making it into the Big12, so why upset the other conference members (who are not groveling at the feet of the Big12) and AAC officials? I also think the University is hedging their bets that the ACC or BigTen will expand again and they are next in line.
I don't buy that at all. My take is we know, from an academic, an athletic and a business standpoint we are the best candidate and that we've presented this extremely well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It isn't about not upsetting AAC schools, it's about appearing the part of a P5 (not begging). As far as B12 vs ACC vs B1G, for UConn the formula is the same.

Before the surprise announcement that the Big 12 had changed its mind again and would solicit expansion schools, ADB reported that UConn was reaching out to Big Ten and ACC people to ascertain what they'd need to do to position themselves in the future. So I expect if the Big12 changes its mind AGAIN and doesn't expand, or only takes Cincy/Houston, then UConn would go back to targeting ACC / Big Ten.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I will take the 'not upset the other conferences' comment one step further; I believe the rumor that we could consider leaving the AAC even if we don't receive an invitation from the B-12 was started by us. I believe that this is a pointed message (likely to ESPN) that we view our school and program as above where we are and will look into all avenues to improve our position.

Reaction Score
How do you define it? It's not Southern. It's not Eastern. It's not Western. It's in the central time zone. It's Midwest to me, anyway. And yes, Iowa State is in the Big 12 so they have at least one school that is inarguably in the Midwest.

They call that region the Great Plains.

Reaction Score
what are you even on about, man.
Don't bring politics into a sports blog about college sports...I hate stepping into the political fray but worse having ignorant statements thrown about like facts! That is what I am about...UCONN FOOTBALL and UConn realignment! Stick to those please and I will be glad to quietly read what you write and even share my opinion from time to time as welcome or unwelcome as it it may be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So many people are overreacting to statements by Herbst and Benedict, plus the Blauds story, as if UConn knows it's out of consideration. That's hogwash. There is no indication of any preference of any kind from the Big 12. Just media and fan conjecture, which has included by the way, overt statements that some schools won't accept Memphis under and circumstances and also that Houston is strongly disfavored. Meanwhile the prohibitive favorite is fighting attacks on its honor code (and core beliefs) and is just as much a geographic outlier as UConn.

I do think we are consciously projecting an image of being above the fray. The Blauds leak has deniability and I think it was nothing more than a shot across ESPNs bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom